» «
Photo

GTA3: Spellcheck

5 replies to this topic
Master-Of-GTA
  • Master-Of-GTA

The Master Of Grand Theft Auto 3

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:10 AM Edited by Master-Of-GTA, 17 January 2007 - 06:20 AM.

Hey everyone!
This is going to be my first mod, and it's pretty beginner stuff. This mod will fix up the spelling errors, grammar/punctuation problems, etc. in GTA3.

Releases:

Beta 1: Keyboard button names have been changed, most things in the 'Options' menu have been fixed. Give Me Liberty and Luigi's Girls have been fixed, but forgot to do the opening cutscene though.
Link: Here!
Issues: How do I make the game display (eg.) 'R Button' instead of just 'R'?

Knowledge Novice
  • Knowledge Novice

* Extended Break *

• Members

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:02 AM

Unless I'm mistaken any printed messages will be located in the GXT file, which is in your TEXT folder. The TEXT folder will conatain different gxt's (ex. american, french, italian, etc). Just choose which language that you want to edit. You will need a GXT editor tool to open the file which can be located at different places on the web, or you can click here: > GTA 3 GXT Editor < . I've recently been contacted by another forum member who's lookin' into the details of editing the GXT and hopefully we'll have a tutorial of some kind in the future. Hope this helps. smile.gif

Master-Of-GTA
  • Master-Of-GTA

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:53 PM Edited by Master-Of-GTA, 07 January 2007 - 02:55 PM.

Thanks! I didn't know that the GXT had to be decompiled, on my first attempt I just opened it up in Notepad and changed some words, but then the game refused to start. Hmmm, I'm afraid for my GXT file in the face of novice-ity. Or something. Anyway, thanks. I'll try it out when it's finished downloading at 1.9kb per second.

Hang on! I've just remembered something. What about the text inside the main.scm? It says exactly the same thing as whats in the GXT file... Do I have to do something to that as well?

-/TNT\-
  • -/TNT\-

not like any other rainbow.

• Members

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:52 PM

No, I think not. The text is just displayed in the scm to help the coders understand what is being done/where the dialog is.

Bigun
  • Bigun

wandering about

• Members

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (-/TNT\- @ Jan 7 2007, 20:52)
No, I think not. The text is just displayed in the scm to help the coders understand what is being done/where the dialog is.

But of course. Notice that there are semicolons (';') before them - meaning they're just like regular comments, and ignored by the compiler. They don't infulence anything - the compiler just reads the GXT as it decompiles and puts the text there for the scripter's convienence.

Since you only want to change text, you actually don't really have to touch the SCM at all, only the GXT[s].

Master-Of-GTA
  • Master-Of-GTA

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:07 AM

Yeah, I've noticed that the main.scm sentences change with the ones in the GXT file.
Since I'm on the internet now (I have dialup - yes, laugh if you will), I'll upload the first beta. It's VERY INCOMPLETE, I've only fixed Give Me Liberty and Luigi's Girls so far along with some other things here and there.

Link: Click Here!

(P.S: I've changed most of the keyboard control names, but I'd really like to know if there's any way in the world to make the game display (eg) 'R Key' instead of just 'R'. Otherwise there's going to be a big clash in the subtitles and help text boxes.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users