» «
Photo

GTA 1 runs only once!

53 replies to this topic
gtathebest4ever
  • gtathebest4ever

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:29 PM Edited by gtathebest4ever, 01 December 2009 - 08:50 PM.

Has anyone tried running it on Windows 7? I haven't downloaded yet because I wanted to check if it even works on Win7. Probably not but I'll try if nobody else has. Even if I manage to install it, there will probably be problems with it so I'm not really happy about this. sad.gif
EDIT: I just installed it and it only ran once so I installed the GTAFIX, and now I have the same problem as Xegethra, no music in cars after a minute or so playing. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Other than that, everything works on Win7, so if someone else has it and was wondering if GTA would work, there you go. wink.gif

Gforcebond
  • Gforcebond

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:42 AM

Yea i had the same problem and i got vista. The game crashes when you try to start a game after you play the game a 2nd time. I kind of figured it was something stupid like a stupid file that gets corrupt after a first run. Thanks for the help guys.

Ben_Dover
  • Ben_Dover

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (Rio Fantastic @ Dec 20 2008, 14:38)
QUOTE (Litude @ Jul 22 2008, 20:43)
I was quite surprised to see that even after these years there still isn't an easy and convenient fix for this problem. I have been using a quite simple and convenient patch by myself for quite sometime but decided to do some quick modifications and whip it up for a release in case someone else than me also hates having to click on another exe before starting the game itself biggrin.gif
Basically, you unzip the downloaded archive into the main game folder (not wino, not gtadata, but the main folder). Then double click on setup and when it asks you if you want to patch the game you write "yes". It should take only a few seconds for the patching to finish and then you are free to play GTA from the "Grand Theft Auto.exe" file in the WINO folder like you always have smile.gif The SETUP.EXE, GTAFIX._1 and GTAFIX.BIN files can be removed after installation is complete, but you will lose the ability to uninstall and reinstall the patch afterwards from SETUP.EXE though.
Enjoy!

Download Link 1
Download Link 2

Thanks man!

I was getting so frustrated when I couldn't get GTA1 to work, this worked perfectly, thanks!

Yeah.. thanks for the virus.. lol

Just copy your player_a.dat file before u open it for the first time (after your 1st install of the game) and paste it in the GTA main directory, after, if u want to play a 2nd time, copy this player_a.dat file u just copied in the main directory and paste it in the GTADATA directory, and replace it.. because I heard that the file get corrupted after the 1st play

Ben_Dover
  • Ben_Dover

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:17 PM

I found a website talking about the problem here http://gzwn.net/gta1launcher/

The launcher is not working for me, I dont know why.. but it helped me to find the byte that I have to change in player_a.dat to make the game work smile.gif It's the one at position : 0x00000004 of 0x00000414 Each time u play the game, it changes to 00 and u have to replace it by 06 before opening the game (each time u want to play) (so u need to download an hex editor) to make it work.. so u don't lose your highscores etc.. smile.gif

I hope it helped u

Litude
  • Litude

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (Rio Fantastic @ Dec 20 2008, 14:38)
Yeah.. thanks for the virus.. lol

Virus...? What my fix does is exactly the thing you describe in your post above; it changes the byte that makes the game crash to the one it is after a clean installation each time before the game starts.

As for people having weird problems with it, sadly I have no idea what could be causing those. Possibly some anti-virus software might be interfering with the fix thinking it's trying to harm your computer or something.

Ben_Dover
  • Ben_Dover

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:12 PM

Yeah maybe, because my anti-virus (AVG) said it was a virus.. so I took no chances and I deleted it.. my computer is new so I don't want to let viruses on it.. even if it's not a virus lol, every file my anti-virus detects a virus I delete it..

B-$hep
  • B-$hep

0xBADF00D

• Members

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:20 AM

Uninstall this AV and all problems solved.

Ben_Dover
  • Ben_Dover

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (B-$hep @ Dec 28 2009, 05:20)
Uninstall this AV and all problems solved.

I want to protect my new computer.. lol

mattman_122
  • mattman_122

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:52 AM

fart

ciganyirto
  • ciganyirto

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:48 PM

Hey Litude!

Your patch is workin' alright, but it has a terrible side effect as well. When the game starts, the entire screen will look distorted and blinking like this:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2uj4faq.jpg

Can you do something with your GTA fixer to eradicate this problem? I'm right where I started - the game does not crash alrighty, but is unplayable. I'm using Windows XP Service Pak 3, no antivirus software,only Spybot Search and Destroy.

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• GTA Series Staff
  • None

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:32 PM Edited by Sektor, 11 March 2011 - 11:46 PM.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2uj4faq.jpg

That display issue is a driver bug and isn't caused by any player_a.dat patcher. With NVIDIA drivers, you have to name your GTA1 exe "Grand Theft Auto.exe". If it's not an NVIDIA card then all I can suggest is changing video drivers or video card.

Lynx96
  • Lynx96

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:22 PM

I have a few questions about player_a.dat bug (game runs only once):
Can I edit the game resources (. exe) without any launchers to solve player_a.dat bug? I have the same problem with Grand Theft Auto 1 (downloaded from Rockstar Classics).
Maybe, that this error related to operation system? How it works on Windows XP SP2 or older without any fixes?

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

I found and rar file with repairing exe for our game!
Now no player a dat bug and no drops out to windows fixed!
Good luck, just copy unrared file to the catalogue of your game!
http://filip454.c0.p...ad/gta1no-cd.7z
It's not a crack (for moderators!).

SanFernando
  • SanFernando

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:49 PM

Hello,

This issue (with corrupted player_a.dat) has been plaguing me as well. I do not like to download and run .exe files from unknown sources on my computer so instead I made a script that fixes the problem. Feel free to review that it doesn't do anything sneaky. I'm not saying that the other solutions do, but you should be very wary when downloading executables from unknown sources, whether they are .exe files or scripts.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OK0F53KT

Download and put it in the same folder as "grand theft auto.exe". Double click to run. It will fix the corrupted file (player_a.dat) and launch GTA. Create a shortcut to it if you are the comfortable type. smile.gif

You can check the source code in Notepad to see what it does. It should make some sense even to non-programmers. Feel free to alter it or fix any bugs you may find. If you like it, pass it on. Sharing is caring.

Thanks to everyone who figured out the original solution (of which this is just a rehash)! Thanks to Rockstar not only for making this great game but also for making it available for free!

Cheers!

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:52 PM

Yes, but my solution is without a virus - man, I'm a gta fan - I tested it and it works with no viruses. + it's more simple.

Darkel2001
  • Darkel2001

Revolutionary

• Members

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (saaavik @ Saturday, Dec 23 2006, 23:43)
I deleted the file, nothing changed, the game still crashes everytime i start it...DUDE  smile.gif

Update:I installed origal versions of gta and gta london. No problems at all. The only problem:cd must be inserted to play the game...
cool.gif

Same. I have the big box release of the Director's Cut, and GTA 1/London both run perfectly on Windows 7 64-bit. No compatibility mode(s) required at all.

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

http://filip454.c0.p...ad/gta1no-cd.7z

Here is the only good fix for that bug smile.gif

GavSalkeld
  • GavSalkeld

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:25 AM

Hi everyone. I just downloaded GTA 1 from Rockstar's site and have gotten the same "only runs once" issue.

Ive installed all the fixes and JS files here and nothing works. It gets to the Loading screen and then crashed back to Windows.

How else can we fix this?

Greer55
  • Greer55

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:20 AM

hi, GavSalkeled, i don't know how to fix this problem accurately, but i temporary fixed it by downloading through another site. My first one was also rockstar.

pendas
  • pendas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

Hi, guys. Use this fix (http://gtamp.com/GTA1/GTAFixer.rar)

The free version of GTA1 has some strange bug that corrupts PLAYER_A.DAT after the first run on some systems. Extract gtafixer.exe to your GTA1 folder and run it every time before you play GTA1. It changes a single byte in PLAYER_A.DAT and renames the music files to the correct filenames.

All you need is this fix^^

AdvanceTrak RSC
  • AdvanceTrak RSC

Peon

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

I belive it the games old as sh*t now

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

Automated install of full GTA 1 for newer machines:

http://api.storino.pl/public/eueLC
V1.0

Habbrow94
  • Habbrow94

Free Thinker

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:51 AM

I have the same problem

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

My music's my favourite music ever.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:57 PM

First of all sorry for the bump, second, GTA1 works properly, but I want GTALondon to work that way. Any fix?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users