Photo

GTA 1 runs only once!

52 replies to this topic
saaavik
  • saaavik

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:26 PM

I read about the same problem in the forum, but there was no solution. I got the classic version, installed fine, and worked fine first time with 1024x768. I then closed it, the next time I tried to open it, only menus work. The game closes without warnings. If reinstall it, works again only first time. Is there a way to make it work "twice". I have notebook with windows xp sp2... suicidal.gif

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:21 AM Edited by Sektor, 22 June 2011 - 11:51 PM.

gtadata\PLAYER_A.DAT gets saved incorrectly on some systems.

GTA1 Launcher can fix your PLAYER_A.DAT file or you can use an older version of the GTA1 exe. That exe doesn't play music from the hard drive (only from a CD).

Heihachi_73
  • Heihachi_73

Hey! My cab!!

• Members

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:51 AM

The "classic" version - is this the one from Rockstar's site, or the original 1997 one for DOS/Win95. There might be a problem running the original version, but I haven't had the original version of GTA1 since my main computer was a Pentium 166 (@200MHz) with Windows 98 so I'd have no idea.

saaavik
  • saaavik

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:00 PM

Classic version means the freeware downloadable version Rockstar Classics. I still got the prob...but thanks for replies. Can I contact rockstar support with this problem, or there's no support for freeware versions? cool.gif

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:11 AM

DUDE just delete the PLAYER_A.DAT file!

saaavik
  • saaavik

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:43 PM Edited by saaavik, 24 December 2006 - 11:31 PM.

I deleted the file, nothing changed, the game still crashes everytime i start it...DUDE smile.gif

Update:I installed origal versions of gta and gta london. No problems at all. The only problem:cd must be inserted to play the game...
cool.gif

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 25 December 2006 - 09:42 AM Edited by Sektor, 04 September 2007 - 08:48 AM.

The free version doesn't save the resolution setting, it always defaults to 800x600.

The file PLAYER_A.dat becomes corrupt after the first run on some setups (none of mine).

saaavik
  • saaavik

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:32 PM

Well I got no ideal why it keeps crashing,i gave up! Now I'm using my original GTA games, with nocd patches...and please no banning I bought the games,so it is my right to use it with no cd patch. cool.gif

nablec00
  • nablec00

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:45 PM

I am having the EXACT same problem! It's on my 166MHz Craptop. If anyone knows how to fix it I would be GLAD! Running only once is pointless!

Mikeol1987
  • Mikeol1987

GTAF Lt.

• Members
  • England

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:16 PM

Very Very old topic, but i have the same problem. I have the CD anyway, so its no big deal. but yeah, i really dont know about this either.

Nikofan112
  • Nikofan112

Kneel Before Doctor Insano!

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

Will it work on my iMac?

FulValBot
  • FulValBot

Rat

• Members

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:24 AM

if you have 2 dvd/cd lettors you must disable the second, and enable audio digital.
or use www.rockstargames.com/classics for download gta1 free edition, fully optimized for windows xp. i think also for windows vista. (?)

Anamon
  • Anamon

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:10 AM Edited by Anamon, 01 July 2007 - 01:14 AM.

Hey there

There seem to be a few systems encountering that bug, mine being one of them too. The problem is indeed a corrupted PLAYER_A.DAT, although it seems dubious why the game garbles the file on some systems, but not on others.

To fix it, you need to fire up your hex editor. As I am currently at a different computer with no GTA installed, I can't tell you the exact offset, but I'm sure it is not more than 10 bytes into the file. You'll have to compare to an original, working file to find the exact position (or ask me to go look). There are a lot of 00 bytes, but in a correct file, one of them should be a 60 byte. This has to be corrected manually every time you have played the game.

I have programmed a little tool for myself, a launcher that does this automatically before starting the game. I'm thinking about making the tool a little more user-friendly and then releasing it to the public. I might also add a function to rename the mixed up audio tracks of the download version. I'll let you know if I get around to doing it.

FulValBot
  • FulValBot

Rat

• Members

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:59 PM

i have same problem... i need a file player_a.dat fixed. where i can find it?

i have windows vista ultimate 32 bit.

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:26 AM Edited by Sektor, 04 September 2007 - 09:30 AM.

Try http://gtamp.com/GTA...A1_player_a.zip , extract to your GTA1 gtadata folder.

Toni Antonio Cipriani
  • Toni Antonio Cipriani

http://www.hotdvl.co.nr

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:11 AM Edited by Toni Antonio Cipriani, 30 October 2007 - 07:16 AM.

There are 3 versions of GTA1, the Rockstar Collectors' Edition version, the Rockstar Classics version (downloaded from http://rockstargames.com/classics), and the original uncensored version for MS DOS released in 1997.

All of them doesn't work in Vista (Problem existing in PLAYER_A.DAT file - BACKUP ORIGINAL FILE, AND RESTORE IT EVERYTIME YOU WANNA PLAY!)
Both the Rockstar Games Collectors' Edition version and the Rockstar Classics version work on Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows ME.
All of them work on Windows 95.
Only the Original, Uncensored version works on Windows 95 or MS DOS.

Plus, GTA 2 (whether Rockstar Collectors' Edition version, Rockstar Classics version or original version) works on ALL MICROSOFT WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEMS except for Windows CE and Windows Mobile Operating Systems

Also, GTA London 1969 and London 1961 works on Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, 2000, ME, XP, XP SP1, XP SP2 and Vista.
IT DOESN'T WORK ON WINDOWS XP IF YOU HAVE A HIGH-END GRAPHICS CARD LIKE NVIDIA GEFORCE 8600GT or 8800 ULTRA. However, it works on Vista with a high-end graphics card,

There you go, guys! All you need to know about the compatibility of the classic GTA games.

SOURCE: http://www.hotdvl.co.nr

Anamon
  • Anamon

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:39 AM

Not necessarily true in every case...

I have, on the same machine where I had the player datafile problem before, re-installed Windows Vista and the Rockstar Classics version, and this time I never had the problem yet.

Also, I installed the original version from my CD under Vista and it also worked fine.

You say "original uncensored version" - are the Classics and/or Collector's Edition somehow censored? That would be new to me. I have played both the original and the Classics version and didn't notice any differences

FulValBot
  • FulValBot

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:03 AM Edited by FulValBot, 24 December 2007 - 08:13 AM.

try to install free version of gta1 in this folder:
c:\gta

edit: doesn't work -.- whyyyyyyyyyyy???
edit2: ok i have tested dos version of gta1 and i have edited on file dosbox.conf IPX and changed false with true. now i can use dos version of gta1 also online! is very simple.
is required port 213 udp

you must use these command:

ipxnet startserver
ipxnet stopserver
ipxnet connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (ip)
ipxnet disconnect

FulValBot
  • FulValBot

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:12 AM

use this files every times when you join gta1.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=115XM8CX extract it and put gtafixer.exe on gta1 folder.

this file fix also a bug on gta1's musics.

damian001
  • damian001

Vice City fanboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (Toni Antonio Cipriani @ Oct 29 2007, 23:11)
There are 3 versions of GTA1, the Rockstar Collectors' Edition version, the Rockstar Classics version (downloaded from http://rockstargames.com/classics), and the original uncensored version for MS DOS released in 1997.

All of them doesn't work in Vista (Problem existing in PLAYER_A.DAT file - BACKUP ORIGINAL FILE, AND RESTORE IT EVERYTIME YOU WANNA PLAY!)
Both the Rockstar Games Collectors' Edition version and the Rockstar Classics version work on Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows ME.
All of them work on Windows 95.
Only the Original, Uncensored version works on Windows 95 or MS DOS.

Plus, GTA 2 (whether Rockstar Collectors' Edition version, Rockstar Classics version or original version) works on ALL MICROSOFT WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEMS except for Windows CE and Windows Mobile Operating Systems

Also, GTA London 1969 and London 1961 works on Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, 2000, ME, XP, XP SP1, XP SP2 and Vista.
IT DOESN'T WORK ON WINDOWS XP IF YOU HAVE A HIGH-END GRAPHICS CARD LIKE NVIDIA GEFORCE 8600GT or 8800 ULTRA. However, it works on Vista with a high-end graphics card,

There you go, guys! All you need to know about the compatibility of the classic GTA games.

SOURCE: http://www.hotdvl.co.nr

That isn't true. I've managed to get GTA1 (not the free one), GTA London 1969, and GTA2 (free edition) working under Vista. But for the love of me, I can't get GTA London 1961 to even extract.

Litude
  • Litude

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:43 PM

I was quite surprised to see that even after these years there still isn't an easy and convenient fix for this problem. I have been using a quite simple and convenient patch by myself for quite sometime but decided to do some quick modifications and whip it up for a release in case someone else than me also hates having to click on another exe before starting the game itself biggrin.gif
Basically, you unzip the downloaded archive into the main game folder (not wino, not gtadata, but the main folder). Then double click on setup and when it asks you if you want to patch the game you write "yes". It should take only a few seconds for the patching to finish and then you are free to play GTA from the "Grand Theft Auto.exe" file in the WINO folder like you always have smile.gif The SETUP.EXE, GTAFIX._1 and GTAFIX.BIN files can be removed after installation is complete, but you will lose the ability to uninstall and reinstall the patch afterwards from SETUP.EXE though.
Enjoy!

Download Link 1
Download Link 2

Rio Fantastic
  • Rio Fantastic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (Litude @ Jul 22 2008, 20:43)
I was quite surprised to see that even after these years there still isn't an easy and convenient fix for this problem. I have been using a quite simple and convenient patch by myself for quite sometime but decided to do some quick modifications and whip it up for a release in case someone else than me also hates having to click on another exe before starting the game itself biggrin.gif
Basically, you unzip the downloaded archive into the main game folder (not wino, not gtadata, but the main folder). Then double click on setup and when it asks you if you want to patch the game you write "yes". It should take only a few seconds for the patching to finish and then you are free to play GTA from the "Grand Theft Auto.exe" file in the WINO folder like you always have smile.gif The SETUP.EXE, GTAFIX._1 and GTAFIX.BIN files can be removed after installation is complete, but you will lose the ability to uninstall and reinstall the patch afterwards from SETUP.EXE though.
Enjoy!

Download Link 1
Download Link 2

Thanks man!

I was getting so frustrated when I couldn't get GTA1 to work, this worked perfectly, thanks!

pooyi_khafan
  • pooyi_khafan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:11 AM

HI
That helps me biggrin.gif
BUT i have problem . wow.gif
the menus is fix but when i select the liberty city games is run but the screen is static.
what i do ? dontgetit.gif

Brunks
  • Brunks

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:32 PM

hi guys, i have the same problem, but if i run the GTAfixe before run the game, i can play without any problem.
by the way, theres any way to creat a shortcut to run GTAfixe and GTA game ate the same time?

tks

Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:59 AM Edited by Xegethra, 14 October 2009 - 06:34 AM.

ok that fix seemed to work. my game always plays now

buuut

since i didnt get to really play the downloaded from the site version at all until now....i notice the audio is different. like how in the pick up trucks that country song doesnt play, its some other tune...is that the fix's work or roackstar?...just wondering

also i dont know why but the radio in the cars cuts off after about 3 minutes or so into play....any reason for this?

DTHCND
  • DTHCND

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:56 PM

Where's the gta file/folder where the corrupt player thing is? Also reinstalling the game doesn't even work for me...

B-$hep
  • B-$hep

0xBADF00D

• Members

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:12 PM

Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto\GTADATA

Look for file PLAYER_A.DAT

I don't know what GTA does if it doesn't find it but probably will just create new one.

DTHCND
  • DTHCND

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (Litude @ Jul 22 2008, 20:43)
Enjoy!

Download Link 1
Download Link 2

When ever I try to start the game it says "Windows cannot find 'GTAFIX'. <ake sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

DTHCND
  • DTHCND

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:53 PM Edited by Sektor, 11 March 2011 - 11:35 PM.

Duplicate post.

LCstuntman
  • LCstuntman

It's a wonderful horrible life.

• Members

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:50 AM Edited by Sektor, 11 March 2011 - 11:36 PM.

When ever I try to start the game it says "Windows cannot find 'GTAFIX'. <ake sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

Same thing for me. I'm running Vista. Help?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users