Photo

General GFX Discussion

3,302 replies to this topic
Edmachine
  • Edmachine

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:06 PM

I just wanted to show you guys a sig I made for myself at CSM Forums.

user posted image

smile.gif

-/TNT\-
  • -/TNT\-

not like any other rainbow.

• Members

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (Edmachine @ Dec 13 2006, 16:06)

[IM]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k269/Edmachine/Signature1.png[/IM]
smile.gif

That looks very nice, Ed, may I ask how?

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:34 PM

Edmachine, very nice signature, love it icon14.gif .

uni - lol tounge.gif

-/TNT\-
  • -/TNT\-

• Members

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:28 AM

Check this out

blush.gif

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 December 2006 - 01:44 AM Edited by jarjar, 14 December 2006 - 01:47 AM.

QUOTE (-/TNT\- @ Dec 14 2006, 10:28)
Check this out

blush.gif

Very nice indeed icon14.gif .

My newest creation:

user posted image

Now on your first look it will look like a beveled circle with "Go" on it. But look a few more times and you can see, it actually looks like a cartoon. The "Go" is it's eyes, and the transparent overlay at the bottom is it's mouth (smiling). Hows that for tricky aye? tounge.gif . Of course, it does take some imagination, but it's interesting (I think).

Edmachine
  • Edmachine

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (-/TNT\- @ Dec 14 2006, 00:27)

user posted image
smile.gif

Everything is gradient overlay. Except the ring in the middle. I used the circle select tool and filled it. Then used marquee (Dunno if spelled right) and cut of a half of it.

P.S. I edited your wrong tag.

-/TNT\-
  • -/TNT\-

• Members

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Edmachine @ Dec 14 2006, 16:59)

[IM]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k269/Edmachine/Signature1.png[/IM]
smile.gif

Everything is gradient overlay. Except the ring in the middle. I used the circle select tool and filled it. Then used marquee (Dunno if spelled right) and cut of a half of it.

Lol, the forum policy is not to quote images, as nobody needs to do it. That is why I broke your tags, to not break the rules suicidal.gif . You quoted the image and hereby must die. Termination in.....who cares? Banned.

Edmachine
  • Edmachine

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (-/TNT\- @ Dec 14 2006, 20:04)

user posted image
smile.gif

Lol, the forum policy is not to quote images, as nobody needs to do it. That is why I broke your tags, to not break the rules suicidal.gif . You quoted the image and hereby must die. Termination in.....who cares? Banned.

Umm... No, it's not.

-/TNT\-
  • -/TNT\-

• Members

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (Edmachine @ Dec 14 2006, 18:08)
QUOTE (-/TNT\- @ Dec 14 2006, 20:04)

user posted image
smile.gif

Umm... No, it's not.

Um, yes it is. At least I think so. Even if it's not, it should be as it makes loading times smaller. Do you see my point?

I was joking about the banned thing wink.gif

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:50 PM

It's also 'forum policy' not to quote so many posts. wink.gif

But really, the loading time issue isn't the problem. Because they're the same image using the same host, every copy of the image will load at the same time as the other copies on that page. For example, Edmachine's sig, which is on this page at least 5 times, only loaded once. Every instance of the image loaded at the same time. And since the sig itself is only 5 kb, there really isn't any strain on anyones connection. So there's nothing to squabble over in the first place. smile.gif

The main issue of quoting images is having to scroll down through many large images. It's a large pain in the ass to have to scroll through 10,000 pixels of the same image. confused.gif

Edmachine
  • Edmachine

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:07 PM

That reminds me to check my photobucket clicks and bandwidth.

Monthly Hits: 1524

Nice. And 103 MB bandwidth this month is only 1% of total, so I don't have to worry.

QUOTE (-Kajun- @ Dec 14 2006 @ 20:50)
It's also 'forum policy' not to quote so many posts. ...

Kutthroat... sad.gif He got banned with it.

Venom
  • Venom

Zpider-Man

• Zaibatsu
  • England

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:21 PM

RAWRR!!...

user posted image

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:32 PM

Guys, we have 4 pages, I highly doubt that is going to cause any server issues.

@Venom - Words can't express how god damn awesome that is, love it icon14.gif .

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:48 AM

Those black outlines around the base of the neck look rather out of place.

gRiM-reapa
  • gRiM-reapa

n_n

• Members

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:22 AM

I guess those lines distinguish where the trees around him start and stop. The colours are fairly similar so mabye, they had to be put there.

Unless you put dark green, instead of black. But otherwise it's fairly cool icon14.gif

Venom
  • Venom

Zpider-Man

• Zaibatsu
  • England

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (gRiM-reapa @ Dec 15 2006, 04:22)
Unless you put dark green, instead of black. But otherwise it's fairly cool icon14.gif

Yeah, a darker green would have also done the job, but I decided not to edit.. for some reason.. mercie_blink.gif

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:19 AM

It's still very good, I wish I could do stuff like that sad.gif . Never tried pixel art, guess I don' have the patients for it.

Venom
  • Venom

Zpider-Man

• Zaibatsu
  • England

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (jarjar @ Dec 15 2006, 10:19)
It's still very good, I wish I could do stuff like that sad.gif . Never tried pixel art, guess I don' have the patients for it.

Eh, start off by looking at styles and effects. It can help.
If you do, I'd suggest trying to fills first - there's a bunch of communities with line art topics and such, and try to colour on in.

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (Venom @ Dec 15 2006, 19:27)
QUOTE (jarjar @ Dec 15 2006, 10:19)

Eh, start off by looking at styles and effects. It can help.
If you do, I'd suggest trying to fills first - there's a bunch of communities with line art topics and such, and try to colour on in.

Yeah, I really need to find some time to just read up one it. I'd love to do something like Viddy's Sims House, now that was awesome. Just like your dinosaur you have there icon14.gif .

Is it all as hard as it looks? It looks like it would take a fair amount of time to do ever something as small as an avatar.

-/TNT\-
  • -/TNT\-

• Members

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:16 PM Edited by -/TNT\-, 15 December 2006 - 03:33 PM.

@Kajun: I only said what I said because I saw others doing it too wink.gif

@Venom: Bloody cool dino right there, do you mind making a coloured version for me?

please?

Parky.
  • Parky.

Where's ya mic..?

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:46 PM

Top work their Venom mate icon14.gif

I like your avatars aswell TNT, very nice.

My favourite bit of GFX from me is my avatar smile.gif Got rid of photoshop now though, and theirs no other GFX creation program on my comp apart from paint.

Venom
  • Venom

Zpider-Man

• Zaibatsu
  • England

Posted 15 December 2006 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (-/TNT\- @ Dec 15 2006, 16:16)
@Venom: Bloody cool dino right there, do you mind making a coloured version for me?

How so?

-/TNT\-
  • -/TNT\-

• Members

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (Venom)
How so?

I'll post my uber colouration of your green pixel art. cool.gif

Can anyone post a high-res image of the gtaforums logo, as located in the upper left corner?

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (-/TNT\- @ Dec 23 2006, 18:06)
QUOTE (Venom)
How so?

Can anyone post a high-res image of the gtaforums logo, as located in the upper left corner?

I have one I got along time ago, I've used it for many things ever since I found it floating around on the Intraweb about a year back now:

user posted image

user posted image

It was originally not clear, but I fixed that. I also, do realize there nothing amazing in the quality area, with the white lines and stuff, but they look awesome when used. Just on there own there nothing spectacular.

tagamaynila
  • tagamaynila

Bézier cultist

• The Connection

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:45 AM

Here. I cleaned out the halo

user posted image

-/TNT\-
  • -/TNT\-

• Members

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:47 AM Edited by -/TNT\-, 23 December 2006 - 01:48 PM.

I love you both inlove.gif

I'll be back soon... moto_whistle.gif

edit: Back!

I'll post this in the CSM gang topic, it turned out better than I thought:
user posted image
CODE
http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/4893/csmdragonnt7.gif

and the sexy av I have cool.gif

user posted image
CODE
http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/4459/gtaflogokh7.gif

everybody can use the av, use my link please and the dragon is only for CSM (rules)

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (tagamaynila @ Dec 23 2006, 20:45)
Here. I cleaned out the halo

user posted image

Ah cheers mate, that will be of good use to me now too smile.gif .

TNT - Loving the GTAF logo, very nice icon14.gif . How'd ya do it?

Mullen
  • Mullen

bon vivant

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:24 PM

@TNT: that CSM logo looks amazing. icon14.gif

A couple of unfinished logos. I'm thinking about making a stencil out of them.
user posted image

-/TNT\-
  • -/TNT\-

• Members

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for the comments.

@jarjar: What I do. I get a phone call. I press tab and I hear a voice "Do you want to play some solitaire?" Then I wake up, with everything made alien.gif

tagamaynila
  • tagamaynila

Bézier cultist

• The Connection

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:50 PM

I guess it's time for another...

Very short guide that doesn't warrant a topic

EPISODE II:

Separating Colors With Channels

One of the easiest things to do in Photoshop is separating black from white and vice versa. The thing is, depending on the user's experience the results may vary. A new user will usually turn towards the magic wand, click on a black or white portion of the image, hit delete, save and call it a day. More experienced users will use complex selections using the various selection tools and even the pen tool. Now the people who have a grasp of the basic concept on how channels work will most likely use channels.

Before i start with the short guide, i need to to give you at least a basic idea on what channels are, otherwise the topic would make little sense. You'd probably learn to do it but you might not know how it works.

Now, what are channels? Channels are basically selections. Thery're not as complicated as some people might think. They're always shown in grayscale where white represents selected areas, black represent deselected parts and shades of gray for partially selected. It's just another way of showing selections other than the 'marching ants' that we're used to seeing all the time. Now that we have that covered, let's move on to the guide.

First, let's get our Black and white image. When we open an image taken from the web, it's color mode is usually in RGB. With our image open, click on the channels tab to see the different channels available to us. (fig. 1) Since we are in RGB mode, the channels we get are R, G, B, and RGB. The next thing we need to do is select between R, G, and B where the black logo has the most contrast against the white background. In this case though, they're all the same, so choose whatever you like. I choose blue because... well, i like blue. Now duplicate the selected channel by dragging it down to the new channel button at the bottom part of the channels pallete. This will yield us a new alpha channel called 'blue copy'.

fig.1

user posted image

Remember what i mentioned earlier about channels? White is selected, black is not. This is basically what we have right now in our blue copy channel except for one minor problem, it's inverted. We need the logo selected instead of the background, so we just need black and white to switch places, and how do we do that? Easy, select our blue copy channel and press Ctrl+I. (fig. 2) Now that the colors are inverted, we need to turn this into the 'marching ants' selection so that we can use it. To load the channel as a selection, simply click the, uh, 'load channel as a selection' button. It looks like a dotted circle found near the 'duplicate channel' button. An alternate way would be to Alt+click the blue copy thumbnail.

fig. 2
user posted image

Now that we have a selection in the shape of our logo, it's time to go back to our layers palette, but make sure the selection remains active. Create a new layer and fill the selection with black or whatever color you want, delete the selection and there you have it. (fig. 3)

fig. 3
user posted image

It all may seem like a lot to do, but it really isn't. It's just a few steps and once you learn it, it can be done pretty quickly. I can do that separation in under a minute. It's that easy.

Well, that concludes my short guide which isn't as short as i thought it would be. I hope you picked up something that you may find useful someday.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users