Photo

General GFX Discussion

3,302 replies to this topic
Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

Another poster! So difficult to place everything when they're sending me massive walls of text and low res stock images.

14541398132_b46df6a8b5_c.jpg

• android likes this

Strengthcamp
  • Strengthcamp

Employee

• Members

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

Looks pretty good, but I assume you're working in photoshop and not illustrator? Interested in seeing how the finished piece looks with all those different line weights for the outlines.

I use paint.net, it has it's limits but I'm most comfortable with it. And thanks for the compliment :)

Here's another update to it, I haven't been posting lately since I don't enjoy talking about myself. But yeah anyways here it is, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I have a few alternate versions but I think this one came out OK.

LsKKGMB.png

might redo the wheel and door

• android likes this

uzer
  • uzer

FeroC9

• United-States

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:47 PM Edited by uzer, 05 July 2014 - 08:48 PM.

Another poster! So difficult to place everything when they're sending me massive walls of text and low res stock images.

That's basically how I started learning illustrator, having to trace/recreate low resolution logos as a vector in order to use them for print :sui:

Your posters are pretty good Whiskey, nails the current trend for promotional stuff. If I were going to critique anything on them it would be the typography, more specifically the leading and kerning has a lot of room for improvement. Do you work strictly in photoshop or are you bringing the graphics into InDesign?

I use paint.net, it has it's limits but I'm most comfortable with it. And thanks for the compliment :)

Here's another update to it, I haven't been posting lately since I don't enjoy talking about myself. But yeah anyways here it is, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I have a few alternate versions but I think this one came out OK.

Have never heard of that program before, but your workflow is pretty interesting as well. I personally prefer blocking out the simplest/largest parts of the car then refining the details.

Strengthcamp
  • Strengthcamp

Employee

• Members

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:26 PM

Workflow? I have an idea of what you're saying but I'm not really sure. This is my first time drawing something, I normally just do basic editing. When I saw how you made that Datsun I tried to copy your style but it's very difficult to do. Your gradients are amazing

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

That's basically how I started learning illustrator, having to trace/recreate low resolution logos as a vector in order to use them for print :sui:

Your posters are pretty good Whiskey, nails the current trend for promotional stuff. If I were going to critique anything on them it would be the typography, more specifically the leading and kerning has a lot of room for improvement. Do you work strictly in photoshop or are you bringing the graphics into InDesign?

Thanks mate! Where should I improve the leading and kerning? I'm self taught and any critique is greatly appreciated! 

Strictly Photoshop at the moment. But I want to learn Illustrator to create some unique logos and stuff that would be difficult to create using Photoshop's vector tools!

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:44 PM

I think Illustrator is better for posters. In my opinion you can be more flexible with it plus you can resize anything to any size you want without loss of image quality. Whiskey, go for it. You'll be just fine. ;)

uzer
  • uzer

FeroC9

• United-States

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:05 PM Edited by uzer, 07 July 2014 - 03:07 PM.

Thanks mate! Where should I improve the leading and kerning? I'm self taught and any critique is greatly appreciated! 

Strictly Photoshop at the moment. But I want to learn Illustrator to create some unique logos and stuff that would be difficult to create using Photoshop's vector tools!

Leading is pretty simple, in your case I would advise making the line spacing a bit more uniform. While this isn't always the case (eg, sometimes you want certain lines closer for emphasis or to group like information, etc), but for your last poster there is no real reason to not do so:

9csvXfw.gif

As a tip, if you have every line of text on its own layer, you can use the selection tool to select an area and use the distribute vertical centers button on the align panel to have photoshop space them evenly across the area.

Kerning is a bit more complicated but there is a lot of good information available from a basic google search. You can put the cursor between two characters in photoshop then use alt and left/right arrow to adjust the kerning manually. So for example I'd advise increasing the space between "L" and "A" in "LA ROCCA".

All of the smaller lines have similarly disparate kerning. Look at the spacing between characters in "HAS IT EVER BEEN YOUR DREAM..." and you will notice a lot of characters touching while others have obvious spacing. Fonts can include built-in kerning pairs which will automatically tell software to put more space between "I" and "T", or "O" and "U", or "T" and "O", etc. - but many custom fonts do not do this, so photoshop will use the same value for every letter even though some pairs require more spacing and other pairs require less. This is called metric kerning and is usually the default option. Adobe has an option called 'optical kerning' which will space the lettering based on their shapes. In photoshop, you can choose this from the drop down menu in the character window right below the font size (looks like 'A\V'). Usually optical is a better option for most custom fonts, but you may want to manually kern certain pairings.

Benjamin
  • Benjamin

Kye on KTT

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

So, web development is pretty cool.

IG8qEq4.png

Scrapped my old design and went for something a bit more original (in terms of mimicry). Everything is coded in PHP/HTML. The clouds move as well.

I think that's kinda' rad.

:p

• android likes this

Strengthcamp
  • Strengthcamp

Employee

• Members

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

Dang that's pretty cool :)

uzer
  • uzer

FeroC9

• United-States

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

Is that Habbo hotel? I vaguely remember a period where that and the Coca-Cola clone of it were really popular among GTAForums members.

WesternMotorcycleCo.
  • WesternMotorcycleCo.

Western Motorcycle Company Cruisers

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:13 PM Edited by TPenterprise, 16 July 2014 - 09:14 PM.

I have a question:

If I'm creating logos in photoshop and sharing them with people (e.g. the "Reders" topic where people can DL them), is it better to save the logo as big as possible (within reason) and let people make it smaller if they wish. This way no quality will be lost right? Rather than saving it as something like 200x200 and then it looks bad if it's resized.

Edit: please quote this post so I get a notification, thanks

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

Yeah, anytime you make a logo, it's wise to make it large, so that resizing is not an issue. :^:

uzer
  • uzer

FeroC9

• United-States

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

I have a question:

If I'm creating logos in photoshop and sharing them with people (e.g. the "Reders" topic where people can DL them), is it better to save the logo as big as possible (within reason) and let people make it smaller if they wish. This way no quality will be lost right? Rather than saving it as something like 200x200 and then it looks bad if it's resized.

Yes, make it as large as possible, but really you want to create logos as a vector so they can be scaled to any size.

WesternMotorcycleCo.
  • WesternMotorcycleCo.

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:41 PM Edited by TPenterprise, 17 July 2014 - 04:43 PM.

I have a question:

Yes, make it as large as possible, but really you want to create logos as a vector so they can be scaled to any size.

Yes I make them as vectors, but say I have a finished vector logo in PS, and I "save for web" as PNG with an image size of 100x100 pixels, Can you still scale the saved image up as large as you want without losing quality? 

EDIT: I just tested this myself and after scaling a small saved vector image, the quality lowers a lot when you scale it up. So vectors only have the "constant quality" after resizing only when you're in PS?

uzer
  • uzer

FeroC9

• United-States

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

I have a question:

Yes I make them as vectors, but say I have a finished vector logo in PS, and I "save for web" as PNG with an image size of 100x100 pixels, Can you still scale the saved image up as large as you want without losing quality? 

EDIT: I just tested this myself and after scaling a small saved vector image, the quality lowers a lot when you scale it up. So vectors only have the "constant quality" after resizing only when you're in PS?

PNG is a raster format, so by definition you are not creating a vector. Photoshop paths must be exported into a different program if you want to save a vector since photoshop is only capable of outputting raster formats.

WesternMotorcycleCo.
  • WesternMotorcycleCo.

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

PNG is a raster format, so by definition you are not creating a vector. Photoshop paths must be exported into a different program if you want to save a vector since photoshop is only capable of outputting raster formats.

Yeah thats what I was thinking thanks

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

Did an album art for someone.

10563409_822750681098610_999156403_n.jpg

69_black_69
  • 69_black_69

Just Beacuase

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

Practicing likeness

a_likeness_sculpt_by_yuliuskrisna-d7rqw0

• Crokey, Strengthcamp and GunWrath like this

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

Did a clean logo for someone.

S9xWhzE.jpg

Really starting to enjoy using Illustrator.

• blitz, Whiskey and android like this

android
  • android

Something witty, something sh*tty

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:58 AM

wmm.png

• Whiskey, Pyroshox, BlackScout and 1 other like this

android
  • android

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:26 AM

I have a question for you GFX wizards, for an example I'm going to use Robton's avatar

photo-thumb-937785.jpg?_r=1407260484

How can I create a border like the one seen above? It's probably so simple, but I've never learned.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:34 AM Edited by GunWrath, 12 August 2014 - 01:40 AM.

that's just the simple border made like any other but set the layer to Overlay basically.

Create a New Layer, press Ctrl + A, go to Edit > Stroke .. make it 1px, then make it white .. then you click the marquee tool to make the dotted line thingy go away then set that layer to Overlay, Soft Light, Hard Light and presto.

When you do Ctrl + A, you'll see this around your canvas

c1c10684873ffda43dfcbfde7309f116.png

Go to Edit > Stroke, you should have this pop up

7aa1a1d2fb55ffe951f6a1464109683c.png

Then was you OK that, go to marquee tool

9f5ea9ef68304e2c9b3b1ce847329952.png

Then click outside of your canvas so that the dotted thing disappears.. then you can play with layer settings to do what you wish with the border.

• android likes this

android
  • android

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:54 AM

csYCH6c.png

• BlackScout likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:57 AM

For signatures, I would recommend perhaps a 2px stroke for a border.. but whatever you're comfortable with and if you're wanting the double border, just repeat the process of making the first border.

Instead, make the first border 3px white, then 2nd border 1px black or whatever.. then set the white border to overlay and let the black one stay default.

• android likes this

android
  • android

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:00 AM

Thanks for the help and advice :^:

Zoobz
  • Zoobz

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:11 AM

Quick question if someone could help me out.

What's the best way (program) to edit GIFs with pictures. For example how would I add an image over a moving GIF in the background.

Currently I have basic Photoshop (CS2). If I paste a GIF onto the canvas it becomes a still image which makes sense. So is there another program or technique that you would recommend?

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

I use Animation Shop 3, it's old program which we could do with an update to (are you listening Adobe, who now own Jasc), but it does the trick.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

There's probably a number of ways to do this, here's a quick tutorial I've just googled up, maybe it'll help, this is just using Photoshop though. Croke's AS3 probably would do better as it's made for animation.

http://hottestshawol...l.com/1125.html

Zoobz
  • Zoobz

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:35 PM

I'll give both methods a try. Cheers guys.

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

Hey guys, been a while! Been so busy this summer I've rarely had time to sit down. 

Here's a few pieces I've done the past while.

14652323907_df471cc6f7_c.jpg

15043069285_1f415aa25f_c.jpg

15019868956_a08a5a6bfa_c.jpg

Some Photomanipulations.

14882459583_ec7eaf1f71_c.jpg

14860188871_e63339f76f_c.jpg

• Mockage, Shou, Ciaran and 6 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users