57 replies to this topic
BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:15 AM

Tips for Success
Do not try to do this quickly. You will make a mistake and cause a lot of problems for yourself. If you go slowly and follow these instructions, everything will work fine.

This guide is for GTASA 1.0 only. Installing MISA into GTASA 2.0 is not currently supported. If you know how to do this safely, please tells us how in this topic. smile.gif

Download These First
Here are all the files you will need to install Myriad Islands for Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (MISA):
Create a New Install
It is recommended that you make a new install of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (GTASA). If your current installs of GTASA have been modded, you may need to uninstall the game and then install it again.

If your GTASA already has Mods

Uninstall GTASA
  1. Go to Start > Programs > Rockstar Games > GTA San Andreas and select Uninstall GTA San Andreas.
  2. Follow the on-screen instructions.
GTASA has now been uninstalled.

Make a new Install of GTASA
  1. Put your GTASA DVD into your DVD drive and close it.
  2. After a short while, you should see a window appear in the middle of your screen.
    user posted image
  3. Click the Install button and follow the on-screen instructions.
You now have an unmodded install of GTASA.

Create an Install just for MISA
  • Find the folder where your unmodded install of GTASA is:
    • Normally GTASA will have been installed in C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas.
    • Double-click My Computer from your desktop or in the Start menu.
    • Go to the Rockstar Games folder so you can see the GTA San Andreas folder.
  • Select the GTA San Andreas folder.
  • Open the Edit menu and click Copy.
  • Now open the Edit menu and click Paste.
  • You'll normally get a window saying Copying Files... which will take several minutes to run.
You should now have a folder called Copy of GTA San Andreas.
user posted image
This is the install you will use just for MISA.

Cleaning the Install
  1. Find where you downloaded Steve-M's Map Cleaner.
  2. Double-click the MapCleaner.exe file.
  3. The program will start and you'll see this:
    user posted image
  4. Click the Browse for SA Game Directory button and select the folder you are using for MISA. This will probably be C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Copy of GTA San Andreas.
  5. Click the Start button and wait while it collects information.
  6. When it asks "Do you want to apply the changes?" click the Yes button.
The San Andreas landscape has now been removed from this install.

Installing MISA v0.5
  1. Find the MISA v0.5 Installer.
  2. Double-click the MI_SA_V0.5beta1.exe file. The installer will appear:
    user posted image
  3. Click the Next button.
  4. The license agreement will be displayed. If you agree, select that option and then click Next.
  5. When asked where you want to install MISA, select the GTASA install you cleaned. This will probably be C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Copy of GTA San Andreas:
    user posted image
  6. Click the Next button to reach the final page:
    user posted image
    Click Next to start the installalation. It may take several minutes.
Once it has completed, the main parts of MISA v0.5 will have been installed. smile.gif

Installing the Patch
The MISA v0.5 Patch fixes weapon aiming and creates the ocean. We recommend that you install it:
  1. Find the MISA v0.5 Patch you downloaded.
  2. Double-click the MISAv0.5bPatch.exe file.
  3. When asked where you want to install the patch, select the same place you installed MISA 0.5. This will probably be C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Copy of GTA San Andreas:
    user posted image
  4. Click Install and it will begin. It should finish quite fast.
You have now completely installed MISA v0.5!

Installing the Paths
Paths have not yet been made for the whole MISA. However, more are being added all the time and are getting better as the format becomes more understood.
  1. Unzip mi-sa-test-paths.zip to a safe place on your computer.
  2. Copy the paths.img file.
  3. Go to your C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Copy of GTA San Andreas\data\paths\ folder.
  4. Paste the paths.img file into that folder, replacing the file which already exists.
You will have cars driving around the roads on the illCOM island.

Playing MISA v0.5
Create a shortcut to the GTASA install you have used for MISA.
  1. This will probably be in C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Copy of GTA San Andreas\.
  2. Use My Computer to open that folder.
  3. Right-click the gta_sa.exe file and select Create Shortcut.
  4. Drag the shortcut to where you want it to be, such as on your desktop.
  5. Before you start playing, you need to know this:
    • When the GTASA menu appears, select Start Game and then New Game.
    • You will start inside a tall tower.
    • There is a staircase behind and to your left. Walk down it.
    • Turn right and walk through the doorway into the open elevator.
    • The screen will go black and you will appear at the bottom of the tower.
    • Walk forwards out of the elevator and turn right.
    • Go down the stairs and out of the door.
    • You can now explore the rest of MISA.
  6. You now can start playing MISA by double-clicking the shortcut you made.
Have fun! xmas.gif

Problems?
If you have any problems installing or playing MISA, ask in the FAQ and Help topic. You will need to be registered with a GTA Forums account.

djboi
  • djboi

Delux Car's INC

• Members

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:12 AM Edited by djboi, 01 December 2006 - 08:21 AM.

I have a problem with Map Cleaner , It seems to crash when it gets to "Deleting Unneeded files"

EDIT:user posted image

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for reporting this problem. I haven't seen this before and don't know what the fix is. Are you using the Second Edition of GTASA?

djboi
  • djboi

Delux Car's INC

• Members

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:11 AM Edited by djboi, 02 December 2006 - 10:16 AM.

Yes , but i downgraded it.

EDIT: forgot to mention that all other mods work. suicidal.gif
EDIT 2: Is there some way you guys could write a tutorial/directions how to delete files manualy?

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:14 PM

Jarjar offered to write GTASA 2.0 instructions for this a couple of days ago. I've told him that would be really helpful. Just have to be patient while he works on them. smile.gif

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci Racing

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (Cerbera @ Dec 2 2006, 10:37)
Thanks for reporting this problem. I haven't seen this before and don't know what the fix is. Are you using the Second Edition of GTASA?

It's not a problem with the 2nd edition, afaik. Such things have been reported in this thread as well, but there's no known reason (it only happens for a few people).

@djboi: The installation instructions on the MI website (which Cerb wasn't aware of?) state that if MapCleaner doesn't work for you, try just deleting the gta_int.img (in \models) by hand. The gta3.img will be replaced by the installer anyway. Please let us know if this works for you.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:46 AM Edited by Cerbera, 03 December 2006 - 11:11 AM.

That page doesn't mention the patch and the instructions it gives aren't very detailed. It's also right at the bottom of the page, which means it's not obvious for people who haven't visited it before. That's fine for people who know about MISA and are used to installing mods.

However, newcomers often have problems finding this information and getting it all working. This topic is to help with that, once the first post is finished. It is also for people to ask for help, keeping the number of non-modding new topics down. smile.gif

If the suggested workaround works, I'll add that to these instructions. Deleting one file is probably easier for them than downloading and running the map cleaner, so maybe we'll tell everyone to do it like that?

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci Racing

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:58 PM

Maybe not very detailed, but definitely detailed enough to get it working. I don't think people are so stupid that you need to tell them how to insert a DVD. And why are they required to uninstall modded versions of their game?

I don't like how these things are cluttered everywhere on the forums. We have the help & questions topic, the v0.5 release thread, this guide, and the website; and each of them gives slightly different instructions. Why not have this stuff in a central place such as the website, where it's easier to present and maintain? People are meant to go there anyway for the download(s). Could still have one release specific topic here for the feedback and help requests, based on which an install guide can be updated if it's not detailed enough or contains mistakes.

I've added the patch download link to mi dot com, and a link to this guide. Paths will be added when there's a new release with Aad's stuff.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:13 AM Edited by Cerbera, 05 December 2006 - 07:46 AM.

The thing about the DVD is to make clear we don't support warez editions of the game. I wasn't sure if the Map Cleaner and MISA installers could undo previous mods safely. If they do, I'll change that part of it.

From the number of people making topics saying they can't get it working, clearly the instructions up there aren't enough. It may seem obvious to you what needs to be downloaded and so on, but your level of GTA knowledge is extremely rare. Most players need a helping hand.

The questions made in the FAQ and Help topic are mostly people having installation problems. A lot of people who download stuff via GTAF or direct from the website aren't registered members, so there's likely a "dark matter" cloud of many people having the same problems.

Indeed, when I decided to install MISA on this PC a couple of months ago I had a real hard time figuring out what I needed and where to get it. The weapon aiming problem was a total mystery to me; I had no idea how to fix it. I'm hardly a newbie when it comes to installing mods!

I disagree with the website being easier to update than the forums. Anyone in the MI Council group can update topics if URLs change, if extra patches are released, if the installer's appearance or button names change and so on. But very few people can edit the MI site. I think it makes sense to have a detailed guide here on the forums as those details can be changed easily when necessary.

Also, the MI website is difficult to use. The blue+underlined "Myriad Islands Installer Package" text, which is followed by file size and contents information, isn't a link to something which installs MISA. In fact, it's not a link at all! The download link is right at the bottom of the page and is looks like a heading, with no underline. Also, the instructions tell you to download the installer before any link to the installer is made.

Some of the "Useful Links" on the MI website are to obsolete topics. For example, the "New to Myriad Islands?" link points to a topic from April 2005 which lists many people who aren't involved, and misses a lot of people who are. When it was made I expect it was really useful, but it doesn't reflect the way things are now. Much the same story with the other links.

Oh, and it tells you to visit the forums for everything right at the start anyway.

Sorry for the rant, but I did think quite carefully before I decided this topic was needed. I think your update to the MI homepage has helped it, especially putting the patch link on it. And thanks for adding a link to this guide, even if you don't agree about whether it's needed. smile.gif

I suggest we obsolete the old v0.5 release topic since it's very haphazard. A couple of people who I've helped return to MISA couldn't find the 0.5 patch link in it. Now that link is on the homepage and pinned at the start of this topic. This topic can be updated to provide the information for the most recent package each time there's a new release. Links to old version are probably not needed.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci Racing

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (Cerbera @ Dec 5 2006, 08:13)
I wasn't sure if the Map Cleaner and MISA installers could undo previous mods safely. If they do, I'll change that part of it.

No they can't. While MI 0.5 replaces the whole img, overwriting potentially modded cars, peds and such, we can't be sure any of the other files haven't been tampered with, such as audio or animations (which this mod doesn't touch yet).

But it's not very user friendly requiring to uninstall other copies of the game. And yes, I realize the game's installer won't let you install another one while it's still installed. So you have to trick it somehow (e.g. edit registry), or make a copy of the original game before you start modding it (as I did), but that's all not very user friendly either. The best solution would certainly be to let MI's installer extract the needed game files directly from the DVD. This way people won't have to install/copy 5 gigs of data, only to delete 1 gig of unused stuff afterwards (or even more, if you count videos and audio in), and we'd have more control over everything. But that's not trivial.

It may seem obvious to you what needs to be downloaded and so on, but your level of GTA knowledge is extremely rare. Most players need a helping hand.

I'd understand that if this mod had to be installed by hand. But you can't do much wrong if you only have to launch the installer application and click some obvious buttons. And the patch (once you found it) has the same installer. Paths aren't as easy to install, but they aren't meant to anyway.

If you make everything easier and easier, and don't require people to think anymore, we'll be surrounded by even more idiots in the future...

But very few people can edit the MI site.

That's true, in its current state. You might remember that I was working on a fancy backend for that site a few years ago, but never completed it. Well, a lot of that stuff is still working and could be reused again, including the login system, posting news on the front page, as well as editing static texts for privileged users (admins, mods, MI council). And if I had FTP access that would all be in place already, but that's rather hopeless on this disorganized network. And as for the design issues, I'm aware of that and would have changed it as well if I could. But the hack that's in place now to handle the content editing doesn't give much freedom.

I'll get rid of the outdated links...

Gouveia
  • Gouveia

Back to Los Santos

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:15 PM Edited by vinnygouveia, 11 December 2006 - 02:08 AM.

i get an error when i try to put 0.5 working

C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\models\illcom.img
A decompression error has ocurried(#7)

File CRC mismatch - Data integrity error

what can i do?

EDIT:Got it working now! I've deleted all the files on the Move Cleaner, that's why it wasn't working

markiij
  • markiij

Anywhere City, 3 weeks in the future

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (steve-m @ Dec 5 2006, 16:14)
I wasn't sure if the Map Cleaner and MISA installers could undo previous mods safely. If they do, I'll change that part of it.

No they can't. While MI 0.5 replaces the whole img, overwriting potentially modded cars, peds and such, we can't be sure any of the other files haven't been tampered with, such as audio or animations (which this mod doesn't touch yet).

But it's not very user friendly requiring to uninstall other copies of the game. And yes, I realize the game's installer won't let you install another one while it's still installed. So you have to trick it somehow (e.g. edit registry), or make a copy of the original game before you start modding it (as I did), but that's all not very user friendly either. The best solution would certainly be to let MI's installer extract the needed game files directly from the DVD. This way people won't have to install/copy 5 gigs of data, only to delete 1 gig of unused stuff afterwards (or even more, if you count videos and audio in), and we'd have more control over everything. But that's not trivial.

Yes, you CAN instal 2 versions of the game at the same time. The only thing u have to do is editing the name of the current game folder. (for example: GTA San Andreas will be renamed in GTA_San_Andreas). Now click the installer and click Uninstall. Confirm and wait a moment. The installer won't uninstall your game! When the uninstaller finished open the installer again and pres instal Now thoose a directory and install. Your game is now being installed twice! colgate.gif

BTW: Im new and this was my mirst post:D.

Gouveia
  • Gouveia

Back to Los Santos

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:05 PM Edited by vinnygouveia, 12 December 2006 - 01:11 PM.

Yes, you CAN instal 2 versions of the game at the same time. The only thing u have to do is editing the name of the current game folder. (for example: GTA San Andreas will be renamed in GTA_San_Andreas). Now click the installer and click Uninstall. Confirm and wait a moment. The installer won't uninstall your game! When the uninstaller finished open the installer again and pres instal Now thoose a directory and install. Your game is now being installed twice! colgate.gif

Of course you can have 2 San Andreas. I have three though... Just copied the folder and renamed then all to MISA, SAMP and Modded SA... Congrats on your first post and welcome to GTAF! icon14.gif icon14.gif

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (markiij @ Dec 12 2006, 09:54)
QUOTE (steve-m @ Dec 5 2006, 16:14)

That wasn't his point. It still requires you to install the game again, then delete a hell of a load of data before actually getting MI to work.

Welcome to the forums btw smile.gif

markiij
  • markiij

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:29 PM Edited by Cerbera, 18 December 2006 - 05:29 AM.

QUOTE (djboi @ Dec 1 2006, 08:12)
I have a problem with Map Cleaner , It seems to crash when it gets to "Deleting Unneeded files"

Had the same error too. I'm using SA V2.0 so i downgrade it. But the error wont go away so it can't be becouso of the version. To fix it you just have to delete gta_int.img:D. And ow, can't we put the downgrader link in the starting-post? It will be very handy cause i was seaching a couple of hours for it:P. The download links i found are:

(EDIT by Cerbera: Downgrader links removed. Do not add them in again.)

Front Yard Ballas
  • Front Yard Ballas

R.I.P

• Members

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:29 AM Edited by Front Yard Ballas, 17 December 2006 - 02:08 AM.

i just installed it today.. but i start a new game.... walk down the stairs.. then my game crashes.. tried it about 6 times..

EDIT: Re-Installes it.. now its working fine...

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 December 2006 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (markiij @ Dec 13 2006, 19:29)

Had the same error too. I'm using SA V2.0 so i downgrade it. But the error wont go away so it can't be becouso of the version. To fix it you just have to delete gta_int.img:D. And ow, can't we put the downgrader link in the starting-post? It will be very handy cause i was seaching a couple of hours for it:P. The download links i found are:

(LINKS)

Remove those links immediately. Hosting the downgrade is against forum rules.

And yes it can possibly be due to the version, as just downgrading doesn't change the fact that you're using a downgraded version of V2, it's still not counted completely as a V1 version of San Andreas. But if it is possible to rectify the problem as you say, I see no reason for the method not to be added to the top post as like a tip, however the downgrade will never be hosted with it.

Ideally though, it would be in the best interests of this mod to get a version working via the method demonstrated in the tutorial forum, which I believe someone is currently working on.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:23 AM Edited by Cerbera, 18 December 2006 - 05:30 AM.

Yep:
QUOTE (Cerbera @ Nov 29 2006, 10:15)
JarJar is working on a guide for installing MISA into GTASA 2.0.

(EDIT) I've removed the downgrader links.

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (djboi @ Dec 1 2006, 18:12)

Hmm, I'm having the same issue. I've tried several different things, and tried it on different reinstalls, same problem. It's stopping me from going any further with this guide for Cerbera sadly.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:49 PM

Bizarre...Don't you have v2 Jared? Or you even got both these days? tounge.gif

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:57 PM

Yeah, I have version 1 and 2. My brother lost the discs to version 1, but I still had it installed, so I keep it on my old PC. I still needed the game, so I bought it again and now have the second version two. Helps having both I must say. But after getting it on PS2, and PC twice, you realize, you have spent a lot of money, on the same game tounge.gif .

Anyway, yes, I do have v1 and v2. Not sure on the cause of the error, but it wouldn't be caused by having v2, the only difference in version to is it is missing about 10 files from the gta3.img file, and the exe is smaller.

markiij
  • markiij

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 December 2006 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (GTAuron @ Dec 17 2006, 19:09)
QUOTE (markiij @ Dec 13 2006, 19:29)

Had the same error too. I'm using SA V2.0 so  i downgrade it. But the error wont go away so it can't be becouso of the version. To fix it you just have to delete gta_int.img:D. And ow, can't we put the downgrader link in the starting-post? It will be very handy cause i was seaching a couple of hours for it:P. The download links i found are:

(LINKS)

Remove those links immediately. Hosting the downgrade is against forum rules.

And yes it can possibly be due to the version, as just downgrading doesn't change the fact that you're using a downgraded version of V2, it's still not counted completely as a V1 version of San Andreas. But if it is possible to rectify the problem as you say, I see no reason for the method not to be added to the top post as like a tip, however the downgrade will never be hosted with it.

Ideally though, it would be in the best interests of this mod to get a version working via the method demonstrated in the tutorial forum, which I believe someone is currently working on.

sry, didnt know i was againt the rules:P.

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 January 2007 - 05:49 AM

Cerbera, I finally got the game working, so I've started the tutorial. Won't be long off now. Oh, and REspawns given me a little help with coding a program that should make it easier for v2.0 users to go through the tutorial.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 January 2007 - 07:14 AM

That's great news! I should finish off the instructions for installing paths, then the v1.0 guide would be complete.

DJ-Red-Ice
  • DJ-Red-Ice

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:47 PM

[FONT=Times]
confused.gif Allright, i have installed it the right way, and it worked as it should when i played misa, but i can't launch it now! I have only tryed playing misa 1 single time, and it is already crashed! or what?
What should i do now?

(I'm danish! (That explains my english words) hehe)

Baity
  • Baity

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:03 AM

Sorry for the bump, but I get that same error...It's stupid. I've deleted that file...Do I need to delete gta3.img? Or only that other one? sad.gif Please, help.

mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:08 PM

These two questions really belong in the FAQ-topic.

But I'm in a helpfull, un-bureaucratic mood. Have you tried using Map Cleaner before you used the installer? That seems to do the trick for me...

Anyway, don't reply here, take it to FAQ....

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:12 PM Edited by Cerbera, 17 January 2007 - 11:18 PM.

Actually, the first post recommended that people ask here:
QUOTE (Cerbera @ Nov 29 2006, 10:15)
Problems?
If you have any problems installing or playing MISA, add a reply to this thread. You will need to be registered with a GTA Forums account, though.
This was to prevent people getting confused by any out-of-date advice already in there. I've updated the first post so it now points them to the end of the FAQ topic.

I think we should start a new FAQ topic when the 0.6 release is made. GTAForums chokes a bit when topics get too big. An updated version of this topic should also be created to accompany it, so all the instructions and replies would be as up-to-date as possible.

Baity
  • Baity

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:49 AM

I found something, guys. If anyone has that same error as I did, close the mapcleaner, and install the mod. It works fine, no errors, glitches, anything. smile.gif

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

(-:-)

• Members

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:58 PM

Maybe change screens on myriadislands.com to SA-engine MI?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users