Do not try to do this quickly. You will make a mistake and cause a lot of problems for yourself. If you go slowly and follow these instructions, everything will work fine.
This guide is for GTASA 1.0 only. Installing MISA into GTASA 2.0 is not currently supported. If you know how to do this safely, please tells us how in this topic.
Download These First
Here are all the files you will need to install Myriad Islands for Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (MISA):
Create a New Install
It is recommended that you make a new install of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (GTASA). If your current installs of GTASA have been modded, you may need to uninstall the game and then install it again.
If your GTASA already has Mods
- Go to Start > Programs > Rockstar Games > GTA San Andreas and select Uninstall GTA San Andreas.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Make a new Install of GTASA
- Put your GTASA DVD into your DVD drive and close it.
- After a short while, you should see a window appear in the middle of your screen.
- Click the Install button and follow the on-screen instructions.
Create an Install just for MISA
- Find the folder where your unmodded install of GTASA is:
- Normally GTASA will have been installed in C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas.
- Double-click My Computer from your desktop or in the Start menu.
- Go to the Rockstar Games folder so you can see the GTA San Andreas folder.
- Select the GTA San Andreas folder.
- Open the Edit menu and click Copy.
- Now open the Edit menu and click Paste.
- You'll normally get a window saying Copying Files... which will take several minutes to run.
This is the install you will use just for MISA.
Cleaning the Install
- Find where you downloaded Steve-M's Map Cleaner.
- Double-click the MapCleaner.exe file.
- The program will start and you'll see this:
- Click the Browse for SA Game Directory button and select the folder you are using for MISA. This will probably be C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Copy of GTA San Andreas.
- Click the Start button and wait while it collects information.
- When it asks "Do you want to apply the changes?" click the Yes button.
Installing MISA v0.5
- Find the MISA v0.5 Installer.
- Double-click the MI_SA_V0.5beta1.exe file. The installer will appear:
- Click the Next button.
- The license agreement will be displayed. If you agree, select that option and then click Next.
- When asked where you want to install MISA, select the GTASA install you cleaned. This will probably be C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Copy of GTA San Andreas:
- Click the Next button to reach the final page:
Click Next to start the installalation. It may take several minutes.
Installing the Patch
The MISA v0.5 Patch fixes weapon aiming and creates the ocean. We recommend that you install it:
- Find the MISA v0.5 Patch you downloaded.
- Double-click the MISAv0.5bPatch.exe file.
- When asked where you want to install the patch, select the same place you installed MISA 0.5. This will probably be C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Copy of GTA San Andreas:
- Click Install and it will begin. It should finish quite fast.
Installing the Paths
Paths have not yet been made for the whole MISA. However, more are being added all the time and are getting better as the format becomes more understood.
- Unzip mi-sa-test-paths.zip to a safe place on your computer.
- Copy the paths.img file.
- Go to your C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Copy of GTA San Andreas\data\paths\ folder.
- Paste the paths.img file into that folder, replacing the file which already exists.
Playing MISA v0.5
Create a shortcut to the GTASA install you have used for MISA.
- This will probably be in C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Copy of GTA San Andreas\.
- Use My Computer to open that folder.
- Right-click the gta_sa.exe file and select Create Shortcut.
- Drag the shortcut to where you want it to be, such as on your desktop.
- Before you start playing, you need to know this:
- When the GTASA menu appears, select Start Game and then New Game.
- You will start inside a tall tower.
- There is a staircase behind and to your left. Walk down it.
- Turn right and walk through the doorway into the open elevator.
- The screen will go black and you will appear at the bottom of the tower.
- Walk forwards out of the elevator and turn right.
- Go down the stairs and out of the door.
- You can now explore the rest of MISA.
- You now can start playing MISA by double-clicking the shortcut you made.
If you have any problems installing or playing MISA, ask in the FAQ and Help topic. You will need to be registered with a GTA Forums account.