» «
Photo

[TUT] Simple Sphere

6 replies to this topic
Loman
  • Loman

Chicken Pot Chicken Pot Chicken Pot Piiiiie

• Members

Posted 21 November 2006 - 05:36 PM Edited by Loman, 21 November 2006 - 08:10 PM.

I'd say most of you know how to make a sphere in photoshop, but this is how I do it smile.gif This is for beginners.

First, make a blank image, or open an image you want to add a sphere to
user posted image

Then, use the circle marquee tool and make a selection in the shape of a circle Hold down the shift key on your keyboard while making the selection to keep the aspect ratio equal, thus creating a perfect circle. The size doesn't matter.
user posted image

Now, select the gradient tool and choose a gradient that is one color going from light to dark. Also, make sure to select "radial gradient" next to the drop down box.
user posted image

Then using the gradient tool, fill the circle something like this. You can experiment, different angles give different lighting effects:
user posted image

Now you have a very simple sphere.
user posted image
You can add reflection to it, if you wish
user posted image

Sorry there isn't a reflection tutorial included, but you can find one somewhere else pretty easily. If there is high enough demand for it, I will show you how I did it.

-/TNT\-
  • -/TNT\-

not like any other rainbow.

• Members

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:52 PM

That is pretty good, although I would like a tut on the reflections. icon14.gif

Loman
  • Loman

• Members

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:10 AM Edited by Loman, 22 November 2006 - 01:18 AM.

Ok, demand was high enough biggrin.gif
This is how I did the reflection:

After you make the basic sphere, create a new layer (ctrl+n), make sure to keep this new layer selected while doing this tutorial, then make a selection like this:
user posted image
It doesn't have to be perfectly round, I just did mine that way.
Then select the gradient tool, and make the gradient go from white to transparent, like this:
user posted image
You can use either the liner gradient tool, or the radial gradiant tool, if you use linear, I'd suggest going up and down, if you use radial, you should do something like this:
user posted image
Then you will have something like this:
user posted image
Some people would stop there, I like the way that looks, too. For the purposes of the tutorial, though, I will continue
Make sure to keep the circle selected. Click on the selection tool, then you can click inside the selection and drag it around.
Drag it down a little ways, like this:
user posted image
then press delete.
Then drag the selection up like this:
user posted image
Then click Select>Inverse on the menu, and then press delete.
You should have this:
user posted image

That's it, there are other techniques out there, but this is pretty simple. There are lots of effects you can make using different gradients for the sphere.

here is an eye that I made using this technique:
user posted image

and a couple of smileys I made with this eye
user posted imageuser posted image

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:47 AM

Not bad, can't say I am very happy with the reflection you used, doesn't look realistic enough. But apart from that, nice tutorial icon14.gif .

Rob.
  • Rob.

Don't Stop

• Zaibatsu

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (jarjar @ Nov 23 2006, 09:47)
Not bad, can't say I am very happy with the reflection you used, doesn't look realistic enough. But apart from that, nice tutorial icon14.gif .

Are you kidding, this tutorial is awesome in my opinion.

Awesome job Loman dude, i had a crack at this myself, a Rockstar Games Pool Ball;

user posted image
Awesome job man, one of the best tut's i've seen in a while.

Loman
  • Loman

• Members

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:22 PM Edited by Loman, 23 November 2006 - 06:26 PM.

Not bad, Rob, not bad. smile.gif

There are way better reflection tutorials out there than this one, this is just one way I figured out by myself. I don't claim to be a master at it, there is still much I can't do, lol

@jarjar: What did you think of the eye that I posted? I used the same technique, only I duplicated the reflection, flipped it vertically, moved the second one to the bottom of the cornea, gaussian blurred it, and colorized it a bit.

Here are a few other spheres, using different gradients. These have no reflections applied to them, these are just gradients.

I apologize to the 56Kers for posting so many images. smile.gif

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:26 AM Edited by jarjar, 24 November 2006 - 07:54 AM.

QUOTE (Rob. @ Nov 24 2006, 03:46)
QUOTE (jarjar @ Nov 23 2006, 09:47)

Are you kidding, this tutorial is awesome in my opinion.

Did I say I didn't like the tutorial? No. So next time read instead of thinking you know what I am talking about. I like the tutorial, all I said was I didn't not like the outcome of the reflection that much. That is all.
- Nevermind, me and Rob worked out our differences on MSN wink.gif .

@jarjar: What did you think of the eye that I posted? I used the same technique, only I duplicated the reflection, flipped it vertically, moved the second one to the bottom of the cornea, gaussian blurred it, and colorized it a bit.

Yes, the more advanced reflections on the eyes and what not where indeed awesome icon14.gif .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users