Photo

[Official] Myriad's Air Infrastructure

44 replies to this topic
simzebu
  • simzebu

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:06 PM

I think we should try to make this airport as realistic as possible. At the very least I would like to request that the runways are numbered properly. On that last plan the numbering would be as follows:

For the north/south runway(yellow): The north (southbound) end would have 18, the south (northbound) end would have 36.

The diagonal runway(orange) would have either a 32 or 33 on the southeast end, and a 14 or 15 on the northeast end.

These numbers assume that both runways have markings for planes coming from both directions. Basically, you take the angle of the approach, round to the nearest ten degrees, and drop the zero.

A standard runway for commercial jets should be about 1280m long.

I also have access to a basic guide for airport construction in Sim City 4, which has all of the basic standards of real-life American and Canadian runways and markings. I could convert the measurements into meters and post it here, if you'd like. I'll also post the runway lighting guide too.

Mark
  • Mark

Jesus hates you.

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:20 PM

Agreed on the numbers, however for space and SAs handling of large aircraft, such a large runway is not needed, but longer than..say SF runway would be good.

I've got a fair few books on PPL theory as well as a few old cadet ACPs for military aerodromes so I can give info too.

VinnyGouveia
  • VinnyGouveia

Back to Los Santos

• Members

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:32 PM

i know that nobody will listen to me but i'll try tounge.gif . You could base on the SF airport and that SN map. That woudl be nice. And for that Military airbase, it could have a Aircraft Carrier on the Seas

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 01 January 2007 - 11:24 PM

Of course, I'd like the airport to be pretty realistic as well. But everything in GTA has to be squished a bit to make it playable. The San Fierro airport is, I think, just about the right size for a commercial GTA airport. I'd say the runway should be wider as that won't add much to the space it takes up. If possible, longer would be cool but it feels bloody long when you're playing in-game, which is the important thing. smile.gif

Getting the numbering right is worth doing because it's simple. Getting the lighting right would be nice, especially with the recent developments in DFF 2DFX. But it doesn't have to be millimetre perfect. As long as we keep any squishing proportional it should be fine.

Mark
  • Mark

Jesus hates you.

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 January 2007 - 11:36 PM

Am I right in assuming that they've got flashing lights working via 2DFX now? That'd look pretty I tell ya.

Hmph, I really should start summin regarding this..more detailed plans soon i guess.

VinnyGouveia
  • VinnyGouveia

Back to Los Santos

• Members

Posted 01 January 2007 - 11:51 PM

Yep Cerb. I wanted to express my opinion here just because my dad's a pilot and I know much about our(Brazil's) airports. Yep, SF's runway is thin. And if you're going to put a C-17 or even a A380(just an idea), you gotta make it a little wider. Try to get some pics of real airports or even those MS Flight Simulator ones. I hope the airport has a interior smile.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:19 AM

If you'd like to help with planning, be our guest. I'd recommend you Download Myriad Islands 0.5 and look around it in a GTASA mapping tool to get the lie of the land.

VinnyGouveia
  • VinnyGouveia

Back to Los Santos

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:10 AM Edited by vinnygouveia, 03 January 2007 - 01:09 PM.

Wowa! Sure, I can help you out. I can't download it right now as i'm not in my computer, but I'll install it... I'm try to do the airport now on IllRes... It'll be very similar to the one in San Fierro(because of the water). I wanna know, why don't you try making a Piper Navajo and a Embraer Corisco Turbo Knock Off?(My dad had those planes).

EDIT: After some time trying to make a airport on my own, I reminded myself of the "Santos Dumont" Airport, that is located on Rio de Janeiro. It has some parts of it in the water, so I took it's layout as an inspiration. This could be cool, as it only has one thing that you'll need to edit, make a little tunnel under the lobby. Just that! Hope you like it...
user posted image

And here's the real airport:
user posted image

EDIT2:Nevermind the runway at the top... I was trying to make a private airport but there will be no space there...

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:59 PM

Oh, I didn't notice your message. smile.gif

That's an interesting design. By having the Runways going East-West, it prevents aircraft having to fly between any buildings on Necrosis for their takeoff or landing. So it's good in that respect.

The waterway there is pretty narrow, though. This design would pretty much fill in the space between those islands. If we had a single runway, like in San Fierro, maybe the space it needs would be narrow enough to keep a sensible amount of water between the islands?

Also, the terminus ("lobby") could be where your "P/H" building is instead. That would allow the runway to need less reclaimed land. There is the road bridge and elevated railway to Necrosis to consider.

But in principle, an East-West runway in southwest illRES seems like a good comprimise. What do other people think? Is anyone interested in building a commercial airport?

lord fido
  • lord fido

Retired gangbanger

• Members

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:38 PM

My idea is 2 commercial airports, one pretty much like the one gouveia described it, but in the top off illres. The other one could be a GTi airport that is much like LV airport (built into the city). Then a little airstrip for refuel and plane repairing in an island beside necrosis. There would be some aircarriers around Southern MI.

Illport (heh) would have tickets for GTi airport. You can travel between both. The plane paths would go from the hangar in illport to the place where the people get off in GTi airport. Then the plane goes to a refuel hangar in the airstrip beside necrosis.

Do you like my idea?

user posted image

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:14 PM Edited by Cerbera, 13 January 2007 - 08:17 PM.

Without any pictures, your idea is difficult to understand. Where is the space on GTI for a commercial airport? And where in "the top of illres" would the airport go? Bear in mind that a commercial runway cannot go up or down hills. smile.gif

I don't think the most top-down renders of the northern islands are widely distributed. I'll add those here later today for people to make better plans with.

lord fido
  • lord fido

Retired gangbanger

• Members

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:20 PM

I HAD posted pictures. Dunno what you are talking about. I can see them.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:32 PM Edited by Cerbera, 14 January 2007 - 12:10 AM.

I just checked the source code for your message and I see there is an IMG tag in there. However, the image isn't showing up, even with I try viewing it directly. I get a "Connection was reset" when I try viewing it, so the problem is with their service. Nothing you or I can do about it. smile.gif

(EDIT) Jost_Vice sent me the image via IRC. Unfortunately, I think two parts of it are impossible:
  • The north of illRES already has a building and road network. This is shown in the more recent image.
  • Necrosis is fully built out around it's south coast. As far as I know, there isn't space on Necrosis for an airport.
An new island east of GTI just for an airport looks like a decent idea. Would provide a second airport in MISA, so there'd be somewhere to fly to.

(EDIT2) I've put together a composite of the latest pics from illspirit to create cerb_base_jan5.rar. This covers all the major islands, except GTI.

mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:54 PM

That pic works just fine...even the 'direct link' you replied. Maybe your browser settings are off...

VinnyGouveia
  • VinnyGouveia

Back to Los Santos

• Members

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:22 AM

hey folks! I've saw your reply cerbera, and yes, there's a narrow space of water... but i didn't have MISA working on my PC so i couldn't calculate the real empty space between the islands and i suck at making those designs tounge.gif . But anyways, you can out the island on the side of IllRes makin' a North-South Runway or putting both runways together. Dunno, you're the boss here... I'll see if i can make some design on sketchup or something so you can take a look...

P.S.: My internet was shuted down, but it will come back on wednesday(i hope)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users