• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (girishb @ Feb 21 2009, 17:56)
We beat Aston Villa!? mercie_blink.gif

Wow, the sacking of Scolari is working wonders already. sigh.gif

Nah new managers always win thier first game, i dont know why teams dont sack there manager after every game because then you can hire a new one and its a guranteed win sarcasm.gif biggrin.gif

Waddy
  • Waddy

Gods foster son.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:54 PM

8 points ahead now?

Pressure on Liverpool it seems. A MUST win tomorrow.

flicko
  • flicko

-

• Members

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (Waddy @ Feb 21 2009, 19:54)
8 points ahead now?

Great goal by Ronaldo for the win. Not too sure he should have remained on the pitch, mind, but's that's how football goes.

Real Madrid are 6-1 up at half time against Real Betis! wow.gif

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (Waddy @ Feb 21 2009, 20:54)
8 points ahead now?

The rest of the games this season for us are now must win games, because earlier in the season when we need to pick up a few extra points to stretch the gap we drew otherwise we'd probably be on equal points right now.

We should win tommorow though, but City are on pretty good form in the Prem now so it wont be easy.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (flicko @ Feb 21 2009, 21:05)
Real Madrid are 6-1 up at half time against Real Betis! wow.gif

It's party time! Woo-hee!

Also Espaņol helped even more by the win over Barcelona, 2-1!
Can't get any better, really...

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:45 AM

I didn't think I'd say this, but I'm actually rooting for Man City today. GO MANCs!!! colgate.gif

Waddy
  • Waddy

Gods foster son.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:03 PM

You never know with either team.
Could be a goal fest for either side.

Im hoping Everton can get some away points today at Newcastle. Fingers crossed.

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Winner of Euro 2008 Prediction League

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:31 PM Edited by Seddo, 22 February 2009 - 04:43 PM.

One of the worst away teams in the country and we can't stick the ball in the net with all our possession (story of our season).

Again no clinical passing/finishing when we get into the opponents third sad.gif our build up is ok though.

And f*cking Bellamy, destined to happen.

Edit: Lifeline motherf*ckers.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:59 PM

May as well just stick it on a big f*cking plate hadn't we? Signed, sealed and delivered.

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:04 PM

Best chance in years to win it, we do the hard stuff but fall flat on our faces against the 'weaker' teams. To many draws are costing us sad.gif , 7 points behind....a couple of fingers are slipping off, ever so slightly still in it though.

Rafa has rejected his contract off for the 5th time as well and i'm pretty sure i heard 'Mourinho' chants at Anfield tounge.gif .

kietotheworld
  • kietotheworld

Hater Player

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:11 PM

It will take a miracle for us not to win the Premiership now. Assuming we do, we will be the most successful team in England. That will be a beautiful day.

QUOTE (Seddo @ Feb 22 2009, 18:04)
Rafa has rejected his contract off for the 5th time as well and i'm pretty sure i heard 'Mourinho' chants at Anfield tounge.gif .

Are you serious?

DuckPond
  • DuckPond

Rat

• Members

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

How lucky were Liverpool, eh?

Anyways, im pissed off. Arteta has gone off injured, and Anichebe nearlly broke his leg. We still got Fellaini!!

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (kietotheworld @ Feb 22 2009, 17:11)
Assuming we do, we will be the most successful team in England.

How so? Joint does not equal the, and if you then factor in other successes, for example another to-be-left-unnamed trophy, I think you'll find yourself to be quite beaten?

I may change my mind after the post-game annoyance is gone, but I'm simply not in the mood for closed-minded, blind optimism anymore. It looked hard enough to scrape together the defecit when it was 5 points, and now that it's 7 it's basically doubly as hard. Besides, just look at us, we're hardly going to go out and win the rest of our games, are we? It's over.

kietotheworld
  • kietotheworld

Hater Player

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (Eminence @ Feb 22 2009, 18:17)
Assuming we do, we will be the most successful team in England.

How so? Joint does not equal the, and if you then factor in other successes, for example another to-be-left-unnamed trophy, I think you'll find yourself to be quite beaten?

I am talking about English competitions. We will be the most successful by virtue of our greater number of FA Cups.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

No, we will be more successful by virtue of more FA & League Cups combined.

You can't just leave it out, can you? It's a barometer of success. I'm sure you celebrated it when you won it, didn't you?

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (Seddo @ Feb 22 2009, 18:04)

Are you serious?

Yeah i am, on both accounts.

Chickstick
  • Chickstick

Fortunate Son

• Members

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:29 PM

Whilst it's disappointing, what did we expect at the start of the season? Third, maybe second at a push (and I know, of course, that we may still finish behind Chelsea)? Surely the mere fact that we're still in this position where it's still possible to win the title, albeit unlikely, is a good sign? Our squad isn't as good as Chelsea's, let alone Man Utd's, and to be in this spot, especially considering our comparatively poor showing in the league in recent years, must be encouraging for the future?

Considering how poor Benitez's inherited team really was compared to the modern Liverpool, I think he's done very well to improve the squad this much, especially in the league. We've also had the setback of there being no major "crisis" at competing clubs, as Utd did in the late 80s with Hillsborough, and as we did with the Munich air crash which knocked these clubs off their perch for want of a better phrase. Liverpool have done well in my view to catch up in such little time in my view, even though they're not quite at the level of Utd or maybe even Chelsea yet.

kietotheworld
  • kietotheworld

Hater Player

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (Eminence @ Feb 22 2009, 18:23)
No, we will be more successful by virtue of more FA & League Cups combined.

You can't just leave it out, can you? It's a barometer of success. I'm sure you celebrated it when you won it, didn't you?

We will probably win the League Cup this season anyway, bringing our combined total to 14. Even if we do not, any serious football person would place more value on 4 FA Cups than 5 League Cups. I didn't celebrate when we won the League Cup to anything like the extent I have done when we won any other trophy, if you are going to combine the LEague and FA Cup as though they are equals you may as well add the Charity Shield in there as well.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

But, you know that's not true. Sure, it may be of less value, but the League Cup is a trophy in its own right, and by excluding it you're just trying to twist it all to find the right combination that puts you on top - and you know it.

kietotheworld
  • kietotheworld

Hater Player

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (Eminence @ Feb 22 2009, 18:33)
But, you know that's not true. Sure, it may be of less value, but the League Cup is a trophy in its own right, and by excluding it you're just trying to twist it all to find the right combination that puts you on top - and you know it.

I am twisting nothing, this is just Liverpool fans desperately trying to cling onto their status as the most successful club in England. I am talking about how much success each club has had, this cannot be measured in simple numbers of trophies, one must assign value to each cup. Only an idiot, or someone highly biased would argue that 5 League Cups represent greater success than 4 FA Cups.

Would you include the Charity Shield in the success of the clubs? It is a trophy in its own right, the match is played at Wembley between two of the best teams in the country.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (kietotheworld @ Feb 22 2009, 18:48)
QUOTE (Eminence @ Feb 22 2009, 18:33)

I am twisting nothing, this is just Liverpool fans desperately trying to cling onto their status as the most successful club in England. I am talking about how much success each club has had, this cannot be measured in simple numbers of trophies, one must assign value to each cup. Only an idiot, or someone highly biased would argue that 5 League Cups represent greater success than 4 FA Cups.

Would you include the Charity Shield in the success of the clubs? It is a trophy in its own right, the match is played at Wembley between two of the best teams in the country.

What the hell are you guys on about? The majority of the time when i come on and see you Kieto your normally in a argument with someone.

kietotheworld
  • kietotheworld

Hater Player

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (Hodgey1989 @ Feb 22 2009, 20:10)
What the hell are you guys on about?
Whether the FA Cup is more valuable than the League Cup in terms of measuring a club's success. I find it quite amazing the discussion even exiss to tell you the truth.
The majority of the time when i come on and see you Kieto your normally in a argument with someone.

I enjoy debates.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (kietotheworld @ Feb 22 2009, 23:02)
QUOTE (Hodgey1989 @ Feb 22 2009, 20:10)
What the hell are you guys on about?
Whether the FA Cup is more valuable than the League Cup in terms of measuring a club's success. I find it quite amazing the discussion even exiss to tell you the truth.
The majority of the time when i come on and see you Kieto your normally in a argument with someone.

I enjoy debates.

Damn i can see that you enjoy debates because your always in one. biggrin.gif

Ill stick my two cents in here because its simple, yes they are both trophies and obviously teams would love to win as many as they can, but at the end of the day the Carling Cup is a mickey mouse cup. In my eyes you would have to win 5 CC for it to mean the same as 1 FA Cup. Just because you can even see managers dont really care about it when they play the reserves basically every round except the final. Every trophy is great to win but if Liverpool never won the CC again it would bother me on bit.

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:43 AM Edited by Seddo, 23 February 2009 - 12:45 AM.

I would love Liverpool to get in the Carling Cup final every other year, regardless of it's reputation for being a 'Mickey Mouse' cup. At the end of the day it's a trophy that goes into your cabinet and it's an event that gives you a match at Wembley which is a great occasion for the fans and even the players.

And if Rafa wants to pee about in the competition instead of playing a weakened first time/second string he should play the youngsters like Wenger, we've got some good quality youth lads at Liverpool with tons of potential and i would love to see some break into the first team.

muscularmatt
  • muscularmatt

Trick

• Members

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:42 AM

ok here's an idea - how about making the league cup literally a 'league' cup
i.e. no entrants from the premier league. it would be a refreshing change to
see wolves against reading or sheffield united against qpr, leeds or the mk dons
at wembley dont you think? plus, it'd stop all these f*cking man utd and liverpool
fans bitching about congested fixture lists.
\

whatcha thank?

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:19 PM

I do understand what you're saying kieto, and I agree wholeheartedly that the FA Cup is of more value than the League Cup - but in statistical terms, it's still a measure of success, and the numbers still add up. That's all I'm saying.

Personally, I think teams that qualify for Europe shouldn't be entered into the League Cup, so that mid-table and lower level Premier League teams can still go for a trophy, whilst the bigger European teams are able to focus their fixtures on other ones. I'm sure there's something similar in Brazil where when a team plays in the Copa Libertadores they don't go into the Brazilian Cup.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

That's right, but then again, Brazil has retarded calenders.
Basically, a team that got into Libertadores (our Champions League) won't get into the Brazilian Cup. But the Brazilian Cup winner will get a spot in next season's Libertadores. But, both competitions are played in the first semester, alongside the regular League, and the earlier held State Championships. In the second semester, all we have is the League and the Sudamericana (our UEFA Cup). For the Sudamericana, all teams that qualified to the Libertadores (not counting the one from the Brazilian Cup) plus some others that were placed right after them in the league will compete. And somewhere in between you have the Recopa (European Super Cup) which the winners of the Libertadores and the Sudamericana play against eachother.

I do agree that teams that qualify for Europe could get off the League Cup. It would give smaller teams a chance at a bigger trophy, and maybe qualify them for something as well. And it wouldn't be a strain on big clubs' schedules, though they may have desired to use the cup to try out their youth or reserve players.

Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:27 PM

Thank God Spurs won tonight!
Another 3 points closer to survival.

kietotheworld
  • kietotheworld

Hater Player

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (muscularmatt @ Feb 23 2009, 03:42)
ok here's an idea - how about making the league cup literally a 'league' cup
i.e. no entrants from the premier league. it would be a refreshing change to
see wolves against reading or sheffield united against qpr, leeds or the mk dons
at wembley dont you think? plus, it'd stop all these f*cking man utd and liverpool
fans bitching about congested fixture lists.
\

whatcha thank?

You'd just totally devalue it in that case. Why not just expand the Johnstone's Paint Trophy to include the Championship.

Waddy
  • Waddy

Gods foster son.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:38 PM

Arteta out for the rest of the season.
Great! sarcasm.gif

Predictions for the United game?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users