PSU

8 replies to this topic
SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:08 AM

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 8250, and I'm looking to upgrade my PSU. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a decent one that's compatible/fits in the Dell case?

Thanks

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:39 AM

Alright, the 8250 uses a standard ATX connector (like my old 4300) I put This Powersupply in my 4300 and I can't think of anything bad to say about it... It's quiet and it really has 450 watts.

However, I had to do a little "modifying" of my case to make it fit right. Most ATX PSUs will not fit right (both the Rosewill and my Antec 430 watt) would not fit right until I cut a hole for the power cord in the back of the case. I haven't seen a PSU that the connector looked like it would fit right. (Dell intentionally pust the cord connector under the red switch so that you're more inclined to buy one of theirs to replace your dieing PSU.)

Basically, if you're willing to put the time in (10 minutes, max), get the Rosewill, if not get a Dell one and pay more for fewer watts.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:05 AM Edited by SyphonPayne, 31 October 2006 - 05:27 AM.

Ok so can you tell me what tools, and a little bit of detail about cutting the metal on the back?

Also, I read a review on the newegg page you linked me to that said something about chemical smells coming from that PSU? Did you experience that problem?

And does anyone else have some suggestions?

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:16 PM Edited by Fozzy Fozborne, 31 October 2006 - 09:24 PM.

Alright, this is a back view of a Dell 8250, yours might look different.
user posted image

Basically, what you have to do is remove about the area that I have marked in orange.
user posted image

I used a drill and a sabersaw. I drilled a hole with the drill, then used that hole to cut the rest of the metal away.

When I first got my PSU (the Rosewill), it smelled a little. It wasn't nearly as bad as how they describe it. After I put it in my case I couldn't smell it at all. Now unless I put my nose right up to it, I can't smell it at all, even outside the case.

P.S. The PSU's VERY quiet, much quieter than the stock unit!

Hope that answered your questions!

Also, stay away from Dells, the charge you (in my case) 3 times the price for a comparable PC that you could build yourself. Also, replacement parts from Dell are a fortune. Most of the parts are proprietary, so you have to buy them from Dell.

pcguytech
  • pcguytech

• Members

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:52 AM

I have the Ultra X-Finity 600w PSU For like $50.00 at TigerDirect.com and at first it did smell but the smell was from the components getting heated for the first time, Which like everything brand new such as Mobos and such give out a smell. Alot of Techs call this the burn in process. So if nothing goes wrong in between that time nothing will. It's been a couple of months now and still no problems.
Smell I can deal with... It's the smoke I worry about smile.gif

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:02 AM Edited by SyphonPayne, 01 November 2006 - 01:07 AM.

@fozzy: Yeah what I plan on doing is just upgrading the computer part-by-part until i get all the parts I want and then but a case and transfer all the parts into the new case.

But about that power supply, I notice it has a switch on the back. Does that mean you have to actually use the switch to turn the computer on and off, or does it also have that function where the computer can turn itself off (like the one that comes with the comp?)

@pcguy: did you put yours in a Dell case similar to the one fozzy posted?

pcguytech
  • pcguytech

• Members

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:26 AM Edited by pcguytech_2005, 01 November 2006 - 01:32 AM.

QUOTE (SyphonPayne @ Oct 31 2006, 21:02)
@fozzy: Yeah what I plan on doing is just upgrading the computer part-by-part until i get all the parts I want and then but a case and transfer all the parts into the new case.

But about that power supply, I notice it has a switch on the back. Does that mean you have to actually use the switch to turn the computer on and off, or does it also have that function where the computer can turn itself off (like the one that comes with the comp?)

@pcguy: did you put yours in a Dell case similar to the one fozzy posted?

No My case is different But still had to flip The PSU upsidedown to align it with plug in.

The power switch in the back is the emergency on/off switch. For example if your computer expiriences a problem at bootup like a bad or unreconizable hard drive the front power switch won't work so you would have this extra switch to do a power off and fix the problem.

I forgot to mentioned also when 2 Hard drives are set as master.

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:32 AM

Please note that (at least in my case) Dell Motherboards are not removable (some moron literally superglued the entire motherboard to the chassis (LOL) so I'd recommend Buying a completely new motherboard to build a new computer on. Also, I'm not sure, but the mounting points of the motherboard don't look ATX standard.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:33 PM Edited by SyphonPayne, 02 November 2006 - 12:52 AM.

Well sh*t... I guess I'll check that out and hopefully I'm not f*cked tounge.gif .

But yes f*ck Dell.

But yeah dudes thanks for the great suggestions. I'm open to any more if someone else has them smile.gif .

So far I think I'm gonna go with Fozzy's suggestion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users