Photo

[Official] Myriad Islands Tunnel

82 replies to this topic
BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:50 PM Edited by Cerbera, 26 January 2007 - 07:27 AM.

People who've followed the Myriad Islands Railway topic might already know about the proposed MISA tunnel network. If you don't, I have been developing ideas for it with the help of many other MISA contributors, including:
  • Steve-M
  • Illspirit
  • Respawn
  • JasonB
  • GTAuron
  • Snow Racer
  • OrR
Might be some other people too.

The current plan for the tunnels is this, from January 2007:
user posted image
1024 x 1024, 114kB.

We are expecting there to be a tunnel from Necrosis to illRES to be made by Respawn. He's agreed that we can connect into this tunnel so we have a completely integrated tunnel network.

The green tunnel was going to be made by JasonB since it starts under his Port Orchid island. However, he has a lot of other commitments and I'm thinking maybe he should only need to make the most Eastern section of it, so it clears the West coast of his island. Then someone else can make the rest of the green route.

The grey route is owned by Snow Racer. It has been planned for a very long time. Snow Racer owns the lots next to "A" and "B" on the map. He already has a good idea of how the tunnels will come up onto the surface.

Now, this leaves a lot of work still, including three complex interchanges:
  1. Connecting green tunnel with Necrosis-illRES tunnel via one of these (don't know it's proper name) or a Trumpet.
  2. Connecting green tunnel with grey tunnel via Four Level Stack.
  3. Connecting green tunnel with illSTA via Directional T.
I've recently contacted ParoXum about building a substantial amount of the tunnel network. You might have seen some work he's posted in PPT or visited his GTA modding blog. His work is very impressive and he's keen to take on this project. He has agreed to make a "proof of concept" demo for his idea of how we can get tunnels working nicely underwater, which is the first step towards deciding whether this plan can become reality. smile.gif

lord fido
  • lord fido

Retired gangbanger

• Members

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:54 PM

I totally agree. I think you should also link it to Grand Tani.

ParoXum
  • ParoXum

Proud PC Gamer

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Best Texture/Model 2013 "SRt3 2012 Mipmap Edition"

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:17 PM Edited by ParoXum, 06 October 2006 - 11:30 PM.

QUOTE (lord fido @ Oct 5 2006, 23:54)
I think you should also link it to Grand Tani.

For the moment, we must work step by step.

First tests phase. And once Everything is ok, doing tunnels will be done extremely quickly. I just need to spline it, ad details junctions,

But as Cerbara said, i'll tests this evening with a simple blocky tunnel around illcom (for my personnal test) and'll keep you informed of my progressions. I hope this idea will be considered as Official tounge.gif

icon14.gif

Edit : Some after tests, debriefing.

1st thing that will need to be sorted out, is the seabed. MISA never had one, and once there's tunnels underwater, we'll need at least a basic seabed around them to hide the structures.

Second thing, my water.dat tests, according to what steve-m said into his excellent topic about it, the ocean is infinite on z axis, and for a tunnel, it's impossible to get trough the ocean when it's infinite.

Let me explain with pics :

user posted image
That's what we can see when entering the generic tunnel entrance i've done, we're clearly underwater there, but still under a unassigned water square. So there's no problems.

user posted image
And here's what happens when going under a square of water defined as ocean, with the flag "1". Well, we can move as in surface, but the ocean deepish effect is omnipresent.

user posted image
To resolve the problem, we only have to change the flag to "3", considering the tunnel will not go more than 10 units underwater, this flag give us the possibility to disable deep water effect under a defined square, and to keep our deep effect trough 3 to 5 meter underwater. It's less than i wish to have but that's the only option we have for the moment. Every other square of the sea will keep the 1 flag, so we can use a lower seabed.

As GTASA don't have anny underwater tunnels, rockstar didn't make any flag for 20 to 30 meters underwater, wich would have been easier for us, and more realistic for the seabed. Maybe i'll find other tweaks.

But if we do tunnels, we must keep in mind that the first think to get ingame before them is seabed, at least, that's what I think. We can do the opposite, first the tunnels, and finish with seabed creation but...

Tell me. turn.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:08 AM Edited by Cerbera, 07 October 2006 - 03:01 AM.

Apparently using this flag stops the water above from having waves. It effectively turns that square of ocean into a shallow pond and the water effects get turned off for a small range of depths. However, the water effects are present again beneath this depth.

This is rather dissapointing but it is not the end of the story. It might be possible to alter the depth where water is disabled through memory hacking, and maybe re-enable the waves on its surface.

QUOTE (ParoXum)
ParoXum says:
i wonder if using a pool layer from flag 2 under a layer of flag 1 infinite would work as if the bottom layer take the priority on the first one. Needs lots of testings
ParoXum says:
there's lots of possibilities
Cerbera says:
and if we have the tunnels far below the sea bed, we could define the second layer of water beneath the sea bed so nobody would see it while swimming
I've asked ParoXum to test what happens when different types of water are layered, such as this. Maybe we can just use a hidden second layer of water...we shall see. smile.gif

Respawn
Spoke with him about connecting his tunnel(s) into the West section of the green tunnel. We aren't sure exactly how it will be set up yet, but we brainstormed some ideas.

He's going to make a top-down picture of Necrosis showing what's there and what he's planned to do. We'll work from there to figure out the best way to integrate it into the rest of the network.

Snow Racer
Having looked at the layout of illURB some more, I think the exit of the grey tunnel could be moved to a better place. I talked to Snow Racer about where I had in mind and he agrees. I'll draw it up somewhen and see what other people think.

JasonB
QUOTE (JasonB and Cerbera)
[03:55:13] Cerbera/Ben: since you have a lot of responsibilities outside of GTA modding, maybe it would be a good idea to take some off your plate?
[03:55:31] Cerbera/Ben: for example, this modder could build illSTA
[03:55:42] JasonB: Yeah, it would probably be for the best.
[03:55:51] Cerbera/Ben: and if you did a short section of tunnel out of Port Orchid, he could connect into that and save you a lot of work
[03:56:22] JasonB: If he is willing then I'll transfer the tunnel building responsibilities over to him.
Everything relies on getting underwater tunnels working. That will be the focus until there's a reliable prototype made.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 04:01 AM

Looking quite good. Maybe this could open up some oppurtunities for some missions, like blowing up sections of the tunnel for some reason or another? That would be a fun mission tounge.gif Despite how annoying it would be after.. smile.gif

ParoXum
  • ParoXum

Proud PC Gamer

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:36 AM Edited by ParoXum, 07 October 2006 - 10:55 AM.

Iv' just made some more testing.

First

The way i explained to Cerbera on msn don't work. I've done two layers of water, one with infinite tag, and one other wiyh the pool/untextured @-6 units down. This don't work, because the main layer, wich have the flag 1 don't work like alpha textures layers as I thought, So, we keep a infinite depth.

Second and probably Last way to have tunnel's working.

Is to use differents layers of pool type, the first textured, and all the nexts untextured. Considering each layers has a depth of 6 units, we can superimpose some layers to keep the same depth of water on the top of the tunnel, and have a regular seabed possibility.

But as said before, using these layers has some disapointing effects, we don't have waves anymore, but i found some new now :

- When swimming underwater to -6 in the first layer's depth, once you approach the second layer surface, you'll be as if you were swimming out of water; So you have to plunge again into it to get underwater.

- When throwing a car or other dynamic objects into it, we get some weird effect due to the game's phisuc allowed for these layers; The car start drowning on the top of the first layer, till it meets the second one, and there's a certain pause between this time and the one the car restart drowning.

- !Then! once the car has reached the bottom of the second layer, if there's no other layers lower, it falls into the empty space under the map. This particular problem can be solved if we make the seabed imediatly in the bottom of the last lower layer of water wink.gif

I'll take a video to let you see this in realtime tounge.gif

Edit : The no waves problem is fixed, it was not specified by default... Now it's ok, so that's a good point.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci Racing

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:33 AM

I'm not up-to-date on this, but is it correct to assume there is no cull zone flag to get rid of the water? Also, what about faking the weather by using an interior timecyc entry?

I don't think we need multiple layers. The shallow water would only be a narrow stripe, directly above the tunnel. The possibility someone would want to randomly dive there deeper than 6 units is rather low.

ParoXum
  • ParoXum

Proud PC Gamer

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:41 AM Edited by ParoXum, 07 October 2006 - 11:49 AM.

Here's the vid, it'll help some of you understand what's going on with multiple layers.
http://www.closed-ey..._watertests.rar

And steve-m's right, but as we need a seabed, we have to do it at the same level approx. So doing a shallow layer 20 units upto the seabed collision would be weird when going under this layer of water we would fall onto the seabed directly tounge.gif

And that's also right for cullzons, i didn't find a way to do them apart leave blank zons w/out water.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:01 PM

Hmm...So really, as long as the tunnel goes under the ground whilst definately on land, and that area is culled from having ocean, THEN all that crap just gets thrown on top of it once it's under the sea bed, we got a working tunnel?

Hmm..I personally don't usually go diving when I use the game, but I know some people do a fair bit, so really I think we will need layers, but the odd replunging things gonna be odd...

mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 03:51 PM

I don't see any problems if this was for a straight tunnel. But for making the different water levels to follow the curve the tunnel makes, it's going to be quite an intensive piece of work. If someone's feeling called for that job, be my guest...

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:29 PM

Good point, I don't even know much at all about water in this game, but I think I agree that curvy roads not good idea. Either that or find another way round it.

Hell, modding the exe and having a launcher may be easier.

OrR
  • OrR

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:50 PM Edited by OrR, 10 October 2006 - 11:55 PM.

QUOTE (ParoXum @ Oct 6 2006, 17:17)
QUOTE (lord fido @ Oct 5 2006, 23:54)
I think you should also link it to Grand Tani.

For the moment, we must work step by step.

You're probably right but it's also a good idea to do some thinking before beginning to build to be prepared for everything. wink.gif So here is some more general brainstorming because it's the only way I can contribute to this. tounge2.gif

When thinking about the route of the tunnel(s), there are several things to take into account.

First, it needs to make sense. It needs to take a route that is not already taken by other roads or at least needs to provide a faster, easier connection between two points or there would be no incentive for neither the player nor the traffic to take it. One way to achieve this is to make the tunnel cover the diagonals between the islands that are not already covered by bridges. The whole tunnel could more or less be the diagonal line from Port Orchid to illRES. Necessary modifications to the drawing provided by Cerbera would be moving the intersection with the illURB-illCOM route up a little, straightening out the route from PO to the illSTA intersection and maybe rotating/deforming that intersection a little.
Of course now we get a problem: Connecting to Necrosis. Since we've got no idea what Respawn has in mind over there, it's a little difficult to plan. If we could do what we wanted, it would probably make sense to add a T intersection at the upper right corner of Necrosis and make the connection to Necrosis come to the surface somewhere in the upper right quarter. (Or maybe even the lower left quarter which doesn't seem to be that well connected to the big traffic routes, yet.) It could even be a + intersection and connect to illURB at the other side which would get kind of complicated but on the other hand also make a lot of sense because it isn't that much further away. So there would be a Necrosis-illURB tunnel crossing with the illRES-PO tunnel beneath it.
How to connect GTI (if we ever want to)? Well, adding another intersection would make things even worse. But we've got one at pretty much the right spot already: Make the illSTA T-intersection a + intersection and you can connect GTI diagonally without too much of a problem. This wouldn't make sense for going from illURB to GTI but there is a bridge for that. It also wouldn't make sense for going from PO to GTI. What connection do we have planned for that route? However, it would nicely cover all the other routes from further away.

The other big thing to take into account is how to make such a huge tunnel system interesting. There has to be some entertainment under ground and it has to be more or less realistic. Is an underground rest stop with fast food restaurant and gas station realistic? Probably not or it would have to have a very effective ventilation system... Some sort of secret underground hideout wouldn't really be realistic but improve the tunnel a lot and provide a location for a mission. Can anyone think of something creative here? GTA isn't and shouldn't be reality but there would have be some pretty good explanation for something like that. How about a scandal where a bunch of workers building a new sewage pipe accidentally hit the tunnel and created a connection? You could hear about it on the radio news and also drive through it. This would probably have to be under Necrosis or close to one of the exits because the tunnel doesn't touch islands very often.
Grafiti, changing of architectural styles and construction sites would also help. Maybe even glass walls that let you see underwater life? No idea if the technology makes this possible. And, of course, big tunnels would also have a safety system with special escape routes etc.

lord fido
  • lord fido

Retired gangbanger

• Members

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:48 AM

Yeah. It gotta be faster than going on the surface.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:21 AM

I've asked ParoX to make a "test suite", which I guess it would consist of:
  • the rough tunnel section, including:
    • a .dff;
    • a .txd;
    • a .ide;
    • and a .ipl;
  • along with a new water.dat
People could install this into MISA to try out the different experiments ParoX has developed.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:57 PM

Good idea, a split of research over many people will get the job done faster.

I would have a play with it all, but i got no SA here sad.gif I'll try remember to bring it up with me next time I'm back home.

@OrR: I do agree on a number of areas. The damn tunnel is under the surface wherever you go, so is not limited to travelling across sea only, which is kinda what the train does. As you say, for safety factors, I feel it should hug coastlines in a lot of places, and just spur out when needed, or at least run closer to coastlines.

Hmm...I know we already got one, but a SeaWorld connected to the tunnel under the water would be real cool smile.gif Have the Stretch leading up to it as like a Semicircular glass walled tunnel, reinforced glass of course, with the road running on a slightly lower level, with plenty of crash barriers to prevent people going through glass lol.

Ah I'm just daydreaming tounge.gif But I love the idea about construction work.

ParoXum
  • ParoXum

Proud PC Gamer

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:25 PM

A simple pack with all files needed to make your own opinion. This one uses a first layer textured, and a invisible layer 6 units under. Test this one First and post here your comments on this. Once this package has been tested succesfully by interested people, i'll give you a second one, like that this topic'll stay clean and easy to read/resume.

http://www.closed-ey...tunnel.test.rar

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:32 AM

Yesterday I installed MISA v0.5 but I'll be visiting a friend from Wednesday to Friday. Maybe this weekend I'll be able to install the demo and play around with it myself. I'm not sure about timecyc.dat modding but there's a few other layered water setups I'd like to try out.

What's the best tool for seeing the player's current coordinates in GTASA v1.01?

On October 7th I posted about a possible change to the illURB end of Snow Racer's grey tunnel route. Well, I've finally gotten round to making the plan for it now:
user posted image
1024 x 1024, 94kB.

I think joining it onto the end of the West end of that 4-lane road across illURB will be better for a few reasons:
  1. Since the tunnels are being expanded to 4 lanes, the current illURB exit will be a bottleneck.
  2. There are no 4-lane roads near to the current illURB exit, so it will look very strange having a big freeway exiting into a twisty set of small roads.
  3. The 4-lane road running across illURB looks a bit out of place, imho. Especially the way it terminates abruptly at either end. Using one end of the freeway tunnel exit would give it a really good reason to be there.
I ran this by Snow Racer in words and he agreed, so hopefully the plan is what he thought I was talking about! tounge.gif

What are other people's thoughts on it?

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:46 AM

Its good to see Myriad expanding with new ideas and modders, though its a shame that focus has once again been lost in other areas (i.e. train/lots). This looks to be moving at a decent pace though.

lord fido
  • lord fido

Retired gangbanger

• Members

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (GT-1 @ Oct 17 2006, 08:46)
Its good to see Myriad expanding with new ideas and modders, though its a shame that focus has once again been lost in other areas (i.e. train/lots). This looks to be moving at a decent pace though.

Lots are almost finished. But all i know about the trian is that its up and working.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:04 PM

Indeed. The train planning is all done, it's just being built. Take a looksie in the topic.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

I've talked with Snow Racer and he's interested in continuing the experiments into controlling water effects. This is really important work for MISA and I'd do it myself if I weren't development CFG Studio 2. smile.gif

I've talked to him about the possibility of GTASA having a cullzone to disable water effects like GTAVC has. He's read the experiments Parox has done and my ideas about layering water.dat areas as well, so I wish him good luck with it!

ParoXum
  • ParoXum

Proud PC Gamer

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:23 PM

That's a good thing Snow racer take the job for water.dat

I think i've experimented all the default possibilities SA's engine can give coming with a non modified exe or anything hardcoded.

I hope you'll find the best tweaks as possible, and if there are any questions, ask me smile.gif I don't leave water.dat editing and tunnel modeling when i'll have the exact positions of them and their layout tough.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:51 AM

Parox, you didn't start testing with cullzones as far as I know. I don't you tried multiple layers of water or putting pool layers 50 units below the normal water surface. In fact, there's loads of stuff which hasn't been tried yet. Use your imagination!

But the testing you did was very useful. Feel free to do more! smile.gif

Snow Racer
  • Snow Racer

Member Title

• Feroci Racing
  • Norway

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:02 AM

I came up with results here it is

* 0 = (None)
* 1 = Visible
* 2 = Shallow (short dive and you fall) - could be used for small custom pools
* 4 = Shallow (long dive no fall) - could be used for big custom pools

and next numbers makes no difference

Viperman
  • Viperman

Logically Horizontal

• Feroci Racing

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:07 AM

Its good to see how well Myraid has taken off! Frome the first topic illspirit made to now an ever-growing community project - top stuff.

Need to keep this brief, 'cause i'm at my work. I work in the constuction business. I am a draughtsman/project engineer for a ventilation company. Basically I draw ventilation for buildings around the uk, in autocad. Basically i offering myself to help out, whether its 2d design, or 3d modeling.

I havent work on stuff for GTA for quite a while, but i just recived my copy of SA for the PC, so im going to get back into modding.

Good to see yous still active- Cerbera, GTAuron, GT-1!

Regards.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:47 PM

Leon! You're still alive! COOL XD Yeah make some shizzle, would be great.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:46 PM Edited by Cerbera, 27 October 2006 - 06:51 PM.

Oh brilliant, the "Deep Pool" type sounds like it could be useful.

For the shallow pool, Parox said you get normal water for a few units, then you get no water for a few units, then the water resumes again for everything below that. Is the deep pool like that as well?

Could you get some exact measurements for how deep each of these effects go?

If you make a pool layer very deep down, say -50 units, do you still get a waterless area at around -60 units? If so, we could have the sea bed at about -40 units, have a layer of pool water beneath that, then have the tunnels running in the waterless zone it creates. smile.gif

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:57 PM

But big dive no fall, surely that means ya don't let a waterless area? Oh i dunno lol.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:26 PM

Oh yeah, I misread his message.

Getting more accurate measurements for the shallow pool type would be useful. As well as testing it in very deep water.

ParoXum
  • ParoXum

Proud PC Gamer

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:37 PM

The z axis goes from 3000 to -3000 untis, so it means after this range of negative 3000 units, the system of water is tha same as in surface, the depth is infinite, it's a loop like the water we have when we swim out the x/y +3000 / -3000 units of the game. Except if we use the simple layers that goes only 5/6 units underwater.

It's simple to check, using a trainer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users