Photo

Sounds echo

22 replies to this topic
guv
  • guv

Bad Old Puddy Cat

• Members

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:21 PM

I've a problem with Vicy City on PC that I've not seen addressed yet. When I play the game the sound of NPCs/peds voices is extremely echoey. I've tried fiddling with speaker settings in the Options menu but to no avail. Music and cut-scenes are perfect.

segvirion
  • segvirion

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:49 PM Edited by segvirion, 04 October 2006 - 10:53 PM.

QUOTE (guv @ Oct 4 2006, 20:21)
I've a problem with Vicy City on PC that I've not seen addressed yet.  When I play the game the sound of NPCs/peds voices is extremely echoey.  I've tried fiddling with speaker settings in the Options menu but to no avail.  Music and cut-scenes are perfect.

I've had this problem too. My soundcard is onboard - Realtek AC'97 - and I managed to fix this problem by changing the speaker configuration (sorry if this is not correct, my Windows is in Portuguese) in the soundcard Sound Manager option - I changed the environment option from "living room" to "none". I think you can try something like this using the "Sound Properties" dialog box in Windows (sorry again if this is a bad translation...). Just try some of the options to see if they help.

Other than that, you could try to update your soundcard drivers.

EDIT: You could also try to run VC in compatibility mode (right-click on the .exe file, select 'properties', 'compatibility' and check the box where it says 'run this program in compatibility mode', choosing Windows 98 in the drop-down box. I'd try this before the other things I mentioned.

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:09 AM

Hey guys, I should have got around to it a lot earlier, but I've added the echo problem to the bug list, and split off your posts into a new topic (this one). I can't guarantee the solution(s) will fix your problem, but they're well worth a try. Good luck, and be sure to report back. smile.gif

Problem #18
Sounds echo when playing Vice City. This often occurs with all sounds except for the radio.

Solution: Update your sound drivers! Yes, this is stated in the above introduction, but is particularly relevant with this problem.

Alternatively: Set the compatibility mode of the executable file to 'Windows 98'. Do so by: right-clicking gta-vc.exe (default: C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto Vice City\gta-vc.exe) -> Properties -> Compatibility tab -> check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:', and select 'Windows 98 / Windows Me' from the drop-down menu. Apply, OK. And as pictures speak a thousand words, click here for an 84 kB, 367 x 510 image of the process, care of Fuzzy.

Alternatively: Through Control Panel, disable any volumetric or advanced audio effects that may be enabled in your sound configuration (e.g. environmental audio).

guv
  • guv

Bad Old Puddy Cat

• Members

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for the tips, guys. I can't check tonight as I'm doing other things on my computer, but I've altered the audio setting from Windows 95 (a strange default...) to Windows 98, so I will see if that's worked next time I play the game. If not, I'll try the other suggestions. Anyway, I'll get back and let you know which worked.

Thanks again. cool.gif

dragonfly222
  • dragonfly222

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:39 PM

I have the same problem with the same soundcard (Realtek AC97). I tried everything in this topic, including updating drivers and compatibility mode. In sound effect manager I have environment set to none. Any other suggestions? confused.gif

dragonfly222
  • dragonfly222

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:56 PM

I fixed the problem after several hours. I hope this will help someone.

Control panel > Sound effect manager > 3D Audio Demo

You should have "loopy music" as default. Set it to "buzzing bee".

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:59 PM

Thanks for posting back your solution-- will add to the buglist solutions and give you credit...

thanks..

grack
  • grack

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:21 AM

QUOTE (dragonfly222 @ Jan 13 2007, 21:56)

excellent! this is the only thing that's worked for me smile.gif

I know this is an old thread, just wanted to show my appreciation

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:00 AM

I know this is an old thread, just wanted to show my appreciation

However, do keep your appreciations to yourself! No, you should not have to touch the sound manager. Updating drivers automatically fixes sound problems. Sound managers are not for people who don't have updated drivers, and it's only there for tweaking purposes and never to fix sound problems in most cases.

grack
  • grack

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:40 PM

what's your problem?!
updating my drivers didn't work, and this did...

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:50 PM

Because I have Realtek AC'97 onboard audio as well and I didn't have to touch the sound manager. It's there running in my taskbar feeling useless. Unless of course the echoing from peds isn't normal, then you have a point! cryani.gif I'm trying that out!

What do you mean exactly? You mean you don't have any sound problems except for the echoing? You mean it is supposed to sound just like on the PS2/Xbox console versions? Hmm... gotta try do some tweaking around, always thought it was normal to the PC version of Vice City because of some content they took out that was on PS2. icon14.gif

grack
  • grack

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:13 AM

no, I have no other sound issues than this (that is to say, had)
and why in the world would they make it sound like you're in a church just for the PC version? whatsthat.gif

anyway, try the fixes - the game seems a lot better once you get the right sound going...

ThunderPower
  • ThunderPower

Hasn't Played GTA in 3 Years

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:12 AM

This always happens when I use something other than Rad Game Tools or Miles 2D Sound.

Surburbanites
  • Surburbanites

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:36 AM

Why don't you try my, Vice City Sound Guide, For Help!

lostinbttf
  • lostinbttf

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:51 PM

where do i find sound effects mangager within control panel? thanks to anyone who can help, i've tried everything else

lostinbttf
  • lostinbttf

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:39 PM

perfect! i updated my realtech audio driver with my vice city game in the cd tray, restarted, now when i double click play vice city, nothing happens! the spinning cd pointer comes up, then nothing! i'v managed to screw up vice city just to get rid of some echo!! arghhhh!

HOD
  • HOD

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:07 PM

Hey i tired doing this, and whenever I did, it changes it back to loopy music.

It looks like this

o Loopy Music
o Buzzing Bee
-----------------
Moving path
and etc.

I clicck on buzzing bee, but how do i set it to default?

tweakn
  • tweakn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:56 AM

not to bring up an old thread, but i have recently installed vice city on my PC and was having the same sound problems mentioned above, the peds and other sfx echoing like crazy. I found this topic as the first listing when i searched google for a fix to the problem and tried everything listed here.

I updated my drivers, checked the Environment sounds, sfx manager in control panel, compatibility etc. None of it worked. A friend suggested to me to try updating my direct X (i'm using 9.0c) and i did, to some updated version of 9.0c. I still had the echoing sounds.

So what eventually fixed it for me was adjusting the sound setting in directX from Full Acceleration to Standard Acceleration.

I, too, have an onboard RealTek soundcard, so maybe anyone else who tries all the above mentioned tricks to get the sound working properly can try this if all else fails:

- Go to Start > Run and type in dxdiag
- click the Sound tab at the top
- If your sound card settings are set to Full Acceleration, turn it down one notch to Standard Acceleration.

This fixed my problem and hopefully can help other people who may be having the same issue and have tried any/all of the above mentioned fixes to no avail. I hope this helps ^_^

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:37 AM Edited by Spuds725, 26 March 2008 - 01:40 AM.

Thanks for posting your fix... will see about adding this to the pinned buglist with solutions thread... That is Justins Forte-- I'm the PS2 guy.

//edit//

Did you do the same thing as in the buglist (one of the solutions to #17 regarding sound problems)...

Alternatively: Change your hardware sound acceleration to a different setting. This is achieved through: Start -> Run -> dxdiag, clicking the Sound tab and moving the Hardware Sound Acceleration Level slider to a different position; or by going to Advanced Speaker Settings through Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices.

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

Ceci n'est pas une pipe, c'est le logo de Rockstar

• Members

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:23 AM

or stop letting your comp overheat.

Jusser
  • Jusser

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:58 PM

it's really funny, and strange, but .. this really works!
Thank you!

also a late reply, but who cares

Rosenberg123
  • Rosenberg123

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE (tweakn @ Mar 26 2008, 00:56)

- Go to Start > Run and type in dxdiag
- click the Sound tab at the top
- If your sound card settings are set to Full Acceleration, turn it down one notch to Standard Acceleration.

This fixed my problem and hopefully can help other people who may be having the same issue and have tried any/all of the above mentioned fixes to no avail. I hope this helps ^_^

I know; old thread- but I tried everything above this tip to no avail. Doing the dxdiag thing did the trick though, & I was beginning to think nothing would help. Reinstalls, driver updates everything. I made this account just to express my gratitude. Thanks bunches to everyone else as well for sharing and bringing others solutions also. Much appreciated.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

flicko
  • flicko

-

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:20 AM

Hey buddy, welcome to the forums! It's nice to know that you have solved your problem, and thanks for utilizing the search feature. Usually I'd frown upon folk who bump a topic up in the troubleshooting section if they hadn't had a problem of their own that needs fixing, but I think in this case, since others can learn and hopefully solve problems from this, it's perfectly justifiable. icon14.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users