• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic
BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:54 PM

SeaNorris has been quitely beavering away with the conversion of Myriad Islands for GTAVC (MIVC) cars into the GTASA engine. His work is making Myriad Islands for San Andreas (MISA) less and less like an original city thanks to these unique user-made cars being ported over.

This work can be incredibly fiddly, with thousands of polygons and edges being the norm for each vehicle. Every aspect requires a lot of attention to detail to make a vehicle fit in with the much more visually intensive engine. And this isn't just for one vehicle; the Myriad Islands area is gaining more and more SeaNorris topics releasing a newly ported vehicle. The Picture Post and Preview topic steadily gains new glimpses of his current progress.

But most startlingly, despite SeaNorris having been a contributor to GTA modding both inside and outside of Myriad Islands, he has no karma stars at all! I think he more than deserves a star for his efforts. smile.gif

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:15 PM

Seconded. The mans put a lot of work into the whole procedure.

SeaNorris.
  • SeaNorris.

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:37 PM

I had one but telling somebody to f*ck off didn't help this matter. tounge.gif

Thanks though guys smile.gif

Hurricane5
  • Hurricane5

Abgoosht Forever

• Members

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:23 PM

This guy deserves a lot more than one.

I think the least you could do would be to give him a small token of gratitude for being a driving force behind this place.

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:46 PM

I'll third this, SeaNorris has been doing a lot of car models and modifications lately, and I think he deserves at least something for his hard work icon14.gif .

Good luck SeaNorris, you deserve the karma icon14.gif .

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:02 AM

Without attempting to dampen SeaNorris' efforts towards the Myriad project, there are a few members who have put more into the project and got little in return (Lot modellers, Car Modellers). Whilst this does mean I won't be presenting SeaNorris' with any karma at the present time, the situation will remain under review and will most likely result in a star in the near future after looking into other helpers.

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (GT-1 @ Oct 3 2006, 19:02)
Without attempting to dampen SeaNorris' efforts towards the Myriad project, there are a few members who have put more into the project and got little in return (Lot modellers, Car Modellers). Whilst this does mean I won't be presenting SeaNorris' with any karma at the present time, the situation will remain under review and will most likely result in a star in the near future after looking into other helpers.

Then maybe what really needs to be done is a re-look over all the members who have contributed to the projects, and karma give out to those who have contributed majorly. After all if members are putting in a lot of hard work and effort into the project then they certainly deserve something to show that there hard work is appreciated.

Althought, there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes on GTAForums at the moment, so chances are there isn't enough time for something that big, which is respectable, theres not much you can do about that, more important things going one icon14.gif . But it's just a suggestion for the future anyway icon14.gif .

Cheers'

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (GT-1 @ Oct 3 2006, 19:02)

I can see where you're coming from - sure, there's plenty of members who've done heaps and haven't been rewarded for it. A certain prominent member was stuck on 3 stars several months ago, and it wasn't until a fair degree of uproar was caused that any action was taken to correct it. However, in the meantime, other members who have done considerably less were still being commended, and yet no injustice was perceived then (no, I'm not trying to take anything away from those members).

So why should now be any different? If SeaNorris. has done enough work to warrant some karma, then why hesitate? It's like punishing him for the laziness of the MI led-bys in not recommending other good members confused.gif .

I just don't agree - from my point of view, SeaNorris. is deserving of a star, and should be rewarded now smile.gif .

Snow Racer
  • Snow Racer

Member Title

• Feroci Racing
  • Norway

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:35 AM

why do you care about stars? it's just an image... it's not like a size of a penis...
I have to agree with GT-1...

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:41 AM

GO SEANORRIS WOO! He should get a few as his conversions are nothing short of excellent quality. Trust me, I've tried and it ain't easy blush.gif . Give Seanorris some Karma!

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:48 AM

I can't speak to whether he deserves karma or not (as I rarely even enter the modding sections) but what's with the "person X needs karma" topics?

What happened to reporting people's posts and stating why you think they've done something that's actually deserving of recognition? It's worked the few times I've felt it necessary.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (Snow Racer @ Oct 3 2006, 20:35)
why do you care about stars? it's just an image... it's not like a size of a penis...
I have to agree with GT-1...

Why do you care about the size of your penis? A little insecure, eh? Not to worry, there's ways to fix that tounge.gif .

But seriously, to answer your question - because it's one way to show recognition for one's contributions and achievements, and it identifies the more prominent members of the GTAF community to newbies.

And sure, it's just my opinion that the karma system is a good thing - but you're going to find that the majority of people here would agree, I think.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:00 AM

Personally, I've thought the karma system should be scrapped for years (and the staff agreed that the negative karma had to go, at least). However, since the positive karma exists and is very visible it should be rewarded whenever it is deserved.

Making significant contributions to a community modding project as SeaNorris and several others do deserves karma. If it isn't going to be given out to people who keep the GTA Forums community alive then it should just be scrapped.

Let's not make this into a sour argument though; it's a topic to commend SeaNorris for the valuble work he's doing for MISA. smile.gif

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (jarjar @ Oct 3 2006 @ 09:36)
Then maybe what really needs to be done is a re-look over all the members who have contributed to the projects, and karma give out to those who have contributed majorly. After all if members are putting in a lot of hard work and effort into the project then they certainly deserve something to show that there hard work is appreciated.

QUOTE (GT-1 @ Oct 3 2006 @ 09:02)
Whilst this does mean I won't be presenting SeaNorris' with any karma at the present time, the situation will remain under review and will most likely result in a star in the near future after looking into other helpers.

dontgetit.gif

QUOTE (Ben @ Oct 3 2006 @ 10:10 )
I can see where you're coming from - sure, there's plenty of members who've done heaps and haven't been rewarded for it. A certain prominent member was stuck on 3 stars several months ago, and it wasn't until a fair degree of uproar was caused that any action was taken to correct it. However, in the meantime, other members who have done considerably less were still being commended, and yet no injustice was perceived then (no, I'm not trying to take anything away from those members).

So why should now be any different? If SeaNorris. has done enough work to warrant some karma, then why hesitate? It's like punishing him for the laziness of the MI led-bys in not recommending other good members  confused.gif .

I just don't agree - from my point of view, SeaNorris. is deserving of a star, and should be rewarded now  smile.gif .

QUOTE (blackadder18 @ Oct 3 2006 @ 10:41 )
GO SEANORRIS WOO! He should get a few as his conversions are nothing short of excellent quality. Trust me, I've tried and it ain't easy blush.gif . Give Seanorris some Karma!

I don't agree with either of you really, converting a vehicle takes far less time and effort than modelling one from scratch. I know SeaNorris appreciates this also. This is one of the many reasons I believe other members who have put more time and effort should be looked at first. I was fully in support of Gforce gaining another couple of karma stars because of his constant efforts over the last year or two. I feel other members are more deserving of karma than SeaNorris, who has had karma previously for the same thing yet due to his behaviour it was removed.

Secondly, I said I was not giving him any karma at the present time, not ever. Please read what I posted, you seem to get confused in your thoughts. Shouldn't people who have put the time and effort in over two years be given karma before those who have contributed over the last couple of months? True, they should have been awarded prior to this but I dont believe anyone working on the Myriad Islands Community Map Project is doing it for the karma.

Don't bother trying to complicate situations without knowing the full story, including prior offences. People will be rewarded as I said in my first post, but their karma will not be based upon arguments from members (with the exception of Cerbera who follows Myriad) who don't see half of what goes on.

QUOTE (Sweets @ Oct 3 2006 @ 10:48)
I can't speak to whether he deserves karma or not (as I rarely even enter the modding sections) but what's with the "person X needs karma" topics?

My thoughts exactly upon viewing this topic.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (GT-1 @ Oct 3 2006, 21:12)
I don't agree with either of you really, converting a vehicle takes far less time and effort than modelling one from scratch. I know SeaNorris appreciates this also. This is one of the many reasons I believe other members who have put more time and effort should be looked at first. I was fully in support of Gforce gaining another couple of karma stars because of his constant efforts over the last year or two. I feel other members are more deserving of karma than SeaNorris, who has had karma previously for the same thing yet due to his behaviour it was removed.

I have no problem with that - I'm merely pointing out the inconsistency here.

Secondly, I said I was not giving him any karma at the present time, not ever. Please read what I posted, you seem to get confused in your thoughts.

QUOTE (Ben @ Oct 3 2006, 20:10)
I just don't agree - from my point of view, SeaNorris. is deserving of a star, and should be rewarded now smile.gif .

dontgetit.gif

Shouldn't people who have put the time and effort in over two years be given karma before those who have contributed over the last couple of months? True, they should have been awarded prior to this but I dont believe anyone working on the Myriad Islands Community Map Project is doing it for the karma.

That's fair enough. And they shouldn't be working for the karma either. In fact, I'm sure that the majority of people here with karma aren't karma whores - they generally deserve it. I say "generally" because I think the system has been corrupted somewhat, as I'm sure you're well aware, although that's not the case here.

Don't bother trying to complicate situations without knowing the full story, including prior offences. People will be rewarded as I said in my first post, but their karma will not be based upon arguments from members (with the exception of Cerbera who follows Myriad) who don't see half of what goes on.

How is that related to anything I said originally confused.gif ?
If SeaNorris. has done enough work to warrant some karma, then why hesitate?

I say that because from what Cerbera has demonstrated, SeaNorris. seems worthy of +1 to me (judging on previous commendations of other members).

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (Ben @ Oct 3 2006, 11:29)

I have no problem with that - I'm merely pointing out the inconsistency here.

Inconsistency?...because i'd rather take the time to make sure people who I give karma to actually have deserved it? I rarely give out karma, but when I do I make sure people have earnt it the majority of the time. I think you may have used the incorrect term. Either that or someone mixed our members group up.

QUOTE (Ben)

Secondly, I said I was not giving him any karma at the present time, not ever. Please read what I posted, you seem to get confused in your thoughts.

dontgetit.gif

Shouldn't people who have put the time and effort in over two years be given karma before those who have contributed over the last couple of months?

That's fair enough.

Contradicting?

QUOTE (Ben)
I say "generally" because I think the system has been corrupted somewhat, as I'm sure you're well aware.

I agree, take you as an example.

QUOTE (Ben)

How is that related to anything I said originally confused.gif ?

You were attempting to force a situation you knew nothing about. Instead of providing any helpful points or evidence, you tried to force a staff member to give into what you believed was correct. Again, perhaps we should change groups?

@ Cerbera, cheers for the links and worthwhile posts. I will look into the request in the near future, with many other Myriad contributers on the list too. If you have anything further to add, please send it to my PM box, same goes for anyone else who may want to share a valid opinion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users