Lexus Advanced Parking Guidance System

16 replies to this topic
Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:05 PM

Advanced Parking Guidance System
The 2007 LS is sure to become known as "the car that parks itself" thanks to Lexus' new Advanced Parking Guidance System. Buyers who want this option must also opt for the navigation system. The system includes Lexus' Intuitive Park Assist, which uses front and rear sensors to detect how close the car is to nearby objects, and adds two additional sensors to the front sides of the car. Drivers can use the Guidance System to either back into a parking spot or to parallel park. Here's how it works in a parallel parking example:

The driver pulls up to the vehicle that he intends to park behind, lining up the driver's seat with the parked vehicle's rear bumper. Next, he pulls up to the parked vehicle's front bumper and shifts to reverse, keeping his foot on the brake. After the driver presses the parallel parking button, an image from the rear backup camera pops up on the navigation screen, displaying a flag icon and putting a green or red box where the Advanced Parking Guidance System has programmed the car to park.

If the box is red, the driver must adjust the location of the box through the navigation screen until it turns green. If the box is green, the driver should still make adjustments until the flag is positioned at the left rear corner of the parked vehicle. At this time, the driver can take his hands off the steering wheel and let the car back itself into the space. The driver keeps his foot on the brake to control his reverse speed.

That's some crazy sh*t, innit?

*gta star*
  • *gta star*

Z Man - Veteran Z member

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:04 PM

Yeah, its a good idea. Merc's have this too, it's a great feature. smile.gif

fuckindumass
  • fuckindumass

Pissing the night away

• Members

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:03 PM

I think it's bad. I think it just another thing that converts brain matter to mush. If you can't parallel park, learn how. Just learn, and keep learning. The more people depend on devices as such, the more people become leeches rather than contributors. We already have enough leeches. Mush rhymes with such. tounge.gif

Nica
  • Nica

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:32 PM

I agree with "f*ckindumass".

Its pretty dumb too, theres situations where other people are involved, a car is not going to park just right if there is a small problem.

Parking is usually something packed and tight, specially at grocery stores, problems will rise when that feature is used when theres other cars around trying to park too...

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:33 PM

I believe this was on some Japanese Toyotas years ago.

The idea of this is silly, un-nessisary and lazy. If someone gets this because they can't parrallel park, how are they going to go in a normal car? If you can't park, don't drive a car!

It's a bit like doing your grocery shopping online, surely you can do it for yourself?

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:36 AM Edited by Fozzy Fozborne, 28 September 2006 - 12:39 AM.

I can imagine licence tests in like 10 years. "Please parallel park" *click* "Very good!"

or "Please drive around the track and stop at the cross walk" *click* "Excellent, here's your licence!"

I mean, really they are going to invent these things so that we don't even have to press the button, then so that you don't have to voice-activate them, then you won't even have to be in the car, it will drive to the store, get all your groceries, then deliver them to your house and stack them in your pantry.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:42 AM

Knowing some Lexus drivers (around here), all that is going to do is provide a nice soundtrack when they ram into sh*t.

fuckindumass
  • fuckindumass

Pissing the night away

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (Fozzy Fozborne @ Sep 27 2006, 19:36)
I can imagine licence tests in like 10 years. "Please parallel park" *click* "Very good!"

or "Please drive around the track and stop at the cross walk" *click* "Excellent, here's your licence!"

I mean, really they are going to invent these things so that we don't even have to press the button, then so that you don't have to voice-activate them, then you won't even have to be in the car, it will drive to the store, get all your groceries, then deliver them to your house and stack them in your pantry.

Oh, Fozzy, lol
So true though
One day the working class will 'harvest' the priveledged like so much baby seals.
ROFLMAO

lurchseesu420
  • lurchseesu420

I gotta get outta here!

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (-Kajun- @ Sep 27 2006, 16:05)
Advanced Parking Guidance System
The 2007 LS is sure to become known as "the car that parks itself" thanks to Lexus' new Advanced Parking Guidance System. Buyers who want this option must also opt for the navigation system. The system includes Lexus' Intuitive Park Assist, which uses front and rear sensors to detect how close the car is to nearby objects, and adds two additional sensors to the front sides of the car. Drivers can use the Guidance System to either back into a parking spot or to parallel park. Here's how it works in a parallel parking example:

The driver pulls up to the vehicle that he intends to park behind, lining up the driver's seat with the parked vehicle's rear bumper. Next, he pulls up to the parked vehicle's front bumper and shifts to reverse, keeping his foot on the brake. After the driver presses the parallel parking button, an image from the rear backup camera pops up on the navigation screen, displaying a flag icon and putting a green or red box where the Advanced Parking Guidance System has programmed the car to park.

If the box is red, the driver must adjust the location of the box through the navigation screen until it turns green. If the box is green, the driver should still make adjustments until the flag is positioned at the left rear corner of the parked vehicle. At this time, the driver can take his hands off the steering wheel and let the car back itself into the space. The driver keeps his foot on the brake to control his reverse speed.

That's some crazy sh*t, innit?

makes me wish for a simple time with simpler cars. remember volkswagon beetles and buses, bmw isettas, fiat 500's, citroen 2cv's. those were cars that you actually had to drive. do electronic aides. power steering, power brakes, abs, and traction and stability control. only p*ssies use such devices. i am glad to say that when i park my 1973 vw super beetle it is because of my skill (and mostly the small size of car) and not some wimpy electronic gee-gaw!

Duders
  • Duders

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:50 PM

I'd say its a good thing. Stops soccer moms from ramming into my car with their huge SUVs. Then again its an optional feature so if you don't wait it, then don't get it. I personally think its a waste of time.

millermagic
  • millermagic

The CCR Fan

• Members

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:24 AM

Good for people that can't back up that well, I guess. The only thing is, they aren't any better of a driver for using that, plus what about when it fails?

I found these great things called blindspot mirrors. My car has them, dad's F350 has them and my mom's Wrangler has them. I have an easier time parking the F350 with them than I did parking the loaner Focus. They also make passing easier too.

By the way, I learned to back up in my dad's 18 wheeler by doing figure 8's backwards in a parking lot with a 53' trailer.

*gta star*
  • *gta star*

Z Man - Veteran Z member

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:47 PM

makes me wish for a simple time with simpler cars. remember volkswagon beetles and buses, bmw isettas, fiat 500's, citroen 2cv's. those were cars that you actually had to drive. do electronic aides. power steering, power brakes, abs, and traction and stability control. only p*ssies use such devices. i am glad to say that when i park my 1973 vw super beetle it is because of my skill (and mostly the small size of car) and not some wimpy electronic gee-gaw!

I hate to say this, but you are seriously sad. If there is technology, why not use it? What cars are coming out today with crappy brakes and steering that would be the weight of a bus to turn? Come on, wake up a bit and use the technology whilst it is there, instead of using cars with no power steering and trying to show off your parking skill because I have to say, one day you will regret it.

lurchseesu420
  • lurchseesu420

I gotta get outta here!

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (*gta star* @ Oct 23 2006, 20:47)

I hate to say this, but you are seriously sad. If there is technology, why not use it? What cars are coming out today with crappy brakes and steering that would be the weight of a bus to turn? Come on, wake up a bit and use the technology whilst it is there, instead of using cars with no power steering and trying to show off your parking skill because I have to say, one day you will regret it.

believe it or not i actually agree with you on some things. todays cars are so big and heavy that they need power steering. the problem is the weight of cars today. with the techonology we have today, we should be offsetting the weight of these electronics with lighter materials. jaguars seen the light and new xj8s have alloy boddies and weigh just over 3700. the new lexus ls 460 has a steel unibody and weighs 4500 lbs. instead of an electronic parking aide to assist the power steering how bout shedding some weight off these giant behemoths. theres no need for more idiot proof electronics. technology could go to better use than that.

secondly power steering either robs power from your engine or if its electronic has very vague feedback. i think any front engine car thats 3000 lbs or more needs it. but extremely light front engine cars and most any rear or mid engine car (save 2 ton awd lambos) generally dont need it. notice how a lotus elise is one of the only cars today that doesnt have it. thats because it is just added weight for a mid engine rear drive car that weighs just under a ton.

thirdly i dont think im gonna regret parking my vw beetle. the whole car weighs less than 1900 lbs and over 75% of that weight is over the rear wheels. also its only about 150 inches long. so yea its easier to park than any other car ive ever driven

silvermanblue
  • silvermanblue

Magnets=Miracles

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:11 AM

Yep the worlds going to hell in a handbasket. Cars parking themselves crazy.
I wonder if you can crash the computer in the lexus by finding a spot to small. But I am curious to see what happens with this technology in a couple of year besides just parking stupid and lazy peoples cars.

*gta star*
  • *gta star*

Z Man - Veteran Z member

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:00 PM

believe it or not i actually agree with you on some things. todays cars are so big and heavy that they need power steering. the problem is the weight of cars today. with the techonology we have today, we should be offsetting the weight of these electronics with lighter materials. jaguars seen the light and new xj8s have alloy boddies and weigh just over 3700. the new lexus ls 460 has a steel unibody and weighs 4500 lbs. instead of an electronic parking aide to assist the power steering how bout shedding some weight off these giant behemoths. theres no need for more idiot proof electronics. technology could go to better use than that.

I agree on that, cars seem to be getting heavier and some cars are getting wider too in new production models. This is why cars have big engines now because they need so much to power them, a perfect example is the Range Rover Sport 3.0 litre turbo diesel, HSE model. These are a big car, not big as in wide, but just heavy. The 3.0 litre engine just roars to try and move the car, what do Range Rover do, in 2007, they are going to relase a 3.0 litre twin turbo. dontgetit.gif

secondly power steering either robs power from your engine or if its electronic has very vague feedback. i think any front engine car thats 3000 lbs or more needs it. but extremely light front engine cars and most any rear or mid engine car (save 2 ton awd lambos) generally dont need it. notice how a lotus elise is one of the only cars today that doesnt have it. thats because it is just added weight for a mid engine rear drive car that weighs just under a ton.

Very valid point. smile.gif

thirdly i dont think im gonna regret parking my vw beetle. the whole car weighs less than 1900 lbs and over 75% of that weight is over the rear wheels. also its only about 150 inches long. so yea its easier to park than any other car ive ever driven

Yeah, power steering is handy for big cars and getting into tight spots etc, small cars doesn't really need it. smile.gif

lurchseesu420
  • lurchseesu420

I gotta get outta here!

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:35 AM

yep new range rovers are just too damn heavy. didn't they offer a 2.5 turbo diesel on the second generation models in Europe. i bet it could actually move some. the new 3rd. gen models are over 1000 pounds heavier then the old second gen. A WHOLE FREAKIN HALF A TON! THATS f*ckIN CRAZY! even with unibody construction and independent suspension, its still a sh*tload heavier than the old one. maybe its in the name of luxury and safety. computers are heavy but i won't argue that the new one doesn't need its anti roll and stability programs. as top heavy as land rovers are. of course the new one grew alot (which in my opinion it was long enough).

but back to the point. it is ridiculous how powerful cars today have to be just to pull there enormous bulk. isn't the new 290 hp jag-engined range rover a good deal slower than the old 240hp rover-engined range rover calloway .

another example is the new mini cooper s. its actually over twice the weight of the original. its still small, but a 146 inch car shouldnt weigh 2600 pounds. the old 1200 lb. 76hp S actually has a similar power to weight ratio (thats progress) . its also roomier and gets better fuel economy (but not much). and with modern radial tires the old one actually handles better than the new also (though to be fair the old cooper s was basically a race car for the street).

basically in a world where gas gets more and more expensive every day , you would think manufacturers would be focusing on getting significantly better gas mileage. we've come a long way with more efficient engines and fuel injection systems, smarter transmissions, and slippery aerodynamics. but one of the biggest factors is weight. everything to do with a car mechanically is affected by weight.

damnit i went on another rant there. biggrin.gif

*gta star*
  • *gta star*

Z Man - Veteran Z member

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:56 PM

You have a very relevant point, Range Rover's are too heavy and don't need to be that heavy. They are putting more strain on themselves, meaning that they have built a big lump of sh*te and therefore need to build a new Twin Turbo Diesel engine to move it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users