Photo

Mouse not functioning in game

21 replies to this topic
Scorpio007
  • Scorpio007

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:14 PM

I decided to reinstall GTA VC and play it once again..
The last time around everything worked perfectly.

But now, the game installs correctly, but when I start up the game the following happens:

When I click using my logitech optical mouse, there seems to be no response anywhere
But when I move my mouse, the pointer moves correctly.
Also the menu items(like start game, quit etc) get highlighted when I move my mouse over them but the left clicking does not work

The keyboard works, though.
I am able to use the enter key and other keys to navigate.

Even in-game the mouse does not work
Here, I am unable to turn the character(I can only strafe using the arrow keys) using the mouse.
Nor does the left click work(for shooting and stuff)

Here too, the keyboard controls work(shooting using ctrl etc)

I uninstalled and reinstalled GTA VC but still no avail
The mouse clicks well outside the game, but the problems in game still exist

I am running a PC version of GTA VC in WinXPSP2
I am using no mods
CPU and other requirements satisfy well

Please suggest something to get this working
Thanks

fareed
  • fareed

FaF

• Members

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:15 AM

Check in the vc control options, if its set to classic keys than change it to other one(lol i forgot the name) or delete the gta_vc-set file mydocuments/gtavicecityuserfiles

hope it works

Scorpio007
  • Scorpio007

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:24 PM

I tried both and it still does not work..

Any more help would be appreciated sad.gif

lumpy.flippy
  • lumpy.flippy

Sandwich

• Members

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:45 AM

Yes i have the same problem... but you could try alt-tab out to windows then right maxmise back into the game to see if it works! bored.gif

Okys
  • Okys

Intelligent person

• Members

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:14 PM Edited by Okys, 11 December 2006 - 08:50 AM.

Everything is OK with the game settings, controls and mouse. Mouse is an old PS2, with 2 buttons. Of course I can start game in normal mode (i used the Enter and Esc keys on menus, because mouse cursor moves and keyboard works. Only left and right mouse buttons are not working). In game sometimes mouse works, sometimes i cant turn around and use the buttons. I will explode soon. The lumpy.flippy's answer really helped, but not in multiplayer game. I can't start the multiplayer game, because the game promted me to press the Fire button, to start, but how the hell i can press the fire button if mouse IS NOT working? Ok, the Alt-Tab thing helped on standart game menus, but in multiplayer i got unhandled exception when trying to maximize game window again (get them minimized without problems) . I can't find any answers.. i already spent many hours.. but without results. Can't find ANY help in this forum, because no one knows, WHY this sh*t is happening. Please, someone, think about it... Maybe there are some patches, some tools to fix that. I have other computers there. Tried the same game on them, with same configuration (mouse is on COM port (sexy, right?).. of course, everything works fine.. only I have this bug... I tried many of GTA Vice City games (modern mod, deluxe) ...0% emotions - mouse buttons ARE NOT working in menus. I am a n00b in this. I only want to play this game in my own server, with some friends.. that's ALL. Server works fine, Client works fine.. everything works.. except mouse... I love this game... but the problem is only one, f*cking Fire button, who can not be pressed... angry.gif
(Please sorry for bad language. I am not english)

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:05 AM

QUOTE (Okys @ Dec 11 2006, 08:14)
Everything is OK with the game settings, controls and mouse. Mouse is old, PS2. Of course I can start game in normal mode (i used the Enter and Esc keys on menus, because mouse cursor moves and keyboard works. Only left and right mouse buttons are not working). In game sometimes mouse works, sometimes i cant turn around and use the buttons. I will explode soon. The lumpy.flippy's answer really helped, but not in multiplayer game. I can't start the multiplayer game, because the game promted me to press the Fire button, to start, but how the hell i can press the fire button if mouse IS NOT working? Ok, the Alt-Tab thing helped on standart game menus, but in multiplayer i got unhandled exception when trying to maximize game window again (get them minimized without problems) . I can't find any answers.. i already spent many hours.. but without results. Can't find ANY help in this forum, because no one knows, WHY this sh*t is happening. Please, someone, think about it... Maybe there are some patches, some tools to fix that. I have other computers there. Tried the same game on them, with same configuration (mouse is on parallel port (sexy, right?).. of course, mouse works fine.. only i have this bug... I tried many of GTA Vice City games (modern mod, deluxe) ...0% emotions - mouse buttons ARE NOT working in menus. I am a n00b in this. I only want to play this game in my own server, with some friends.. that's ALL. Server works fine, Client works fine.. everything works.. except mouse... I love this game... but the problem is only one, f*cking Fire button, who can not be pressed... angry.gif
(Please sorry for bad language. I am not english)

This forum is for troubleshooting an unedited Vice City. The multiplayer (VC:MP or MTA:VC) does not fall under this requirement.

You'll have better success in the VC:MP forum. smile.gif

Okys
  • Okys

Intelligent person

• Members

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:19 AM Edited by Okys, 11 December 2006 - 06:29 AM.

Yes, of course. I will ask, but I don't want to make a doubleposts. I am asking about the game itself too. I have unmodified version, without any mods. But the problem is the same. I CAN'T use the left and right mouse buttons in normal game menus AND of course, that affects the startup of multiplayer game too. I said, that Alt+Tab thing helped in game menus, but not in multiplayer (game hangs up then).. that's the reason why you are sending me to other place? You think, that minimizing and maximizing then, is a normal solution...? cryani.gif
P.S. I tried other games, like GTA San Andreas, of course, everything works fine. But I can't run that game on all computers in my home network (like GTA Vice City). That mouse problem follows me every time when i am playing GTA:VC. Computer is powerfull and enough for that. OS working fine, without any lags. I don't know what to do...

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:43 AM

No, no, I misunderstood your first post - I thought your problem occurred only when playing the multiplayer mod.

Certainly, if your problem occurs during general gameplay, this is the appropriate place for the topic. smile.gif

I'm afraid I don't really have a solution for your problem, though. It seems rather rare. confused.gif

[EDIT] An uninstall + deleting the SET file (see the pinned Bug List for information on this) might be worthwhile if you haven't already tried it.

Okys
  • Okys

Intelligent person

• Members

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:10 AM

Yes. Tried to uninstall and then reinstall the game.. tried to delete gta_vc.set.. nothing helped. Only minimize and maximize. Tried on other resolutions and Draw distance, classic/standart controls, but without results.
Eh, ok, thanks for the same.. It is very strange. Maybe there are problems with videocard, not the mouse (video is Sapphire Radeon 9800XT on AGP slot with newest Catalyst drivers). I will make some more experiments today.. maybe i will find some way to start this game in MP.
Thanks Fuzzy Juzzy for answers.

Okys
  • Okys

Intelligent person

• Members

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:39 AM

This is exactly the same problem. The same thing is happening for me. I know, my english is bad and maybe others can understand what is going, by reading that question...

Okys
  • Okys

Intelligent person

• Members

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:45 PM

Finally i found the way, how to start game, with mouse buttons working. At first, i did an uninstall, then renamed GTA Vice City User Files folder. Then installed game again. At start i watched the first intro to the end, after that (when next intro appears) pressed Space, without moving the mouse, and that's all. The mouse worked normally now. I think, the most important thing is to watch the first intro to the end. I really don't know, what happens then, but i tried without that and problem appears again. Anyway.. i am happy now. Thanks all for help... smile.gif

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE (Okys @ Dec 11 2006, 23:45)
Finally i found the way, how to start game, with mouse buttons working. At first, i did an uninstall, then renamed GTA Vice City User Files folder. Then installed game again. At start i watched the first intro to the end, after that (when next intro appears) pressed Space, without moving the mouse, and that's all. The mouse worked normally now. I think, the most important thing is to watch the first intro to the end. I really don't know, what happens then, but i tried without that and problem appears again. Anyway.. i am happy now. Thanks all for help... smile.gif

Thanks mate. It's much appreciated when guys like you come back and post a working solution if they find it elsewhere.

I've added the solution and appropriate credit to yourself in the pinned bug list. smile.gif

gunnner
  • gunnner

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:24 AM

Thank You Lumpy.flippy. Alt-tabing out of the game and back in does fix the mouse buttons not working problem. I have a feeling this is not a vid card problem as my brother and I both run 8800 GT (512 mb) cards and he does not have this issue, I do. We also both run Q6600 processors in our machines, so I suspect it may be more a mother-board issue? either way, thanx for the fix! biggrin.gif

gunnner
  • gunnner

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:42 AM

OK, I found something that works! ALT-TABBING out of Vice and back in does get the mouse buttons to work in the menus, but I still had problems in-game. My brother explained that this could be software conflict related. (I didn't believe him at first) So my brother recomended I re-install windows into a different drive (So I had 2 copys of windows. My "C" drive copy and my "D" drive copy) I did have to save all my files from D before installing windows as it erases everything on the drive during install.

After installing windows XP professional and going through all the updates, then installing my vid card drivers, I installed GTA Vice city before any other programs. IT WORKS PERFECT! Thank God. I was convinced it was a hardware issue, or maybe even a driver issue. Turns out that some installed programs (even when not running) can conflict with other software (i.e. my beloved Vice City game smile.gif

I hope others find this helpfull as it frustrated the hell out of me when I couldnt get my mouse to work! Please post something if this does work. for reference here is my PC system:

motherboard EVGA 650i Ultra
processor Intel Q6600
vid card nvidia 8800 GT 512 MB
memmory 2 GB corsair 6400
OS Windows XP Professional

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:55 PM Edited by Spuds725, 24 July 2008 - 02:09 PM.

That is kind of an extreme solution but certainly a possible way to go--

Is it difficult to install windows on a 2nd drive?? How does windows start?? Do you have to go into Bios to select which drive to boot? I know that if you install linux that if you have a 2nd drive with windows installed on it that if you do a dual linux install (at least SUSE does this, don't know about UBUNTU) will allow you to select which windows to boot but didn't know you could do that with just 2 copies of windows installed (not that I've tried).

A tutorial in how to do this would be nice, or at least a link to a reference to do this.... I certainly think this might be a good (although extreme) solution to add to the pinned bug list for use if someone exhausts all other options..

Alternatevil
  • Alternatevil

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:49 AM

Hello, sorry for being a bit late to all this, but I have been experiencing the same exact problems with my mouse, and I've found that the best way to solve this is to go to Task Manager and close explorer.exe. This pretty much solves most of the weird problems I get with my games, really.

This is the solution that works every time for me and I just wanted to contribute this.

bmxddevil
  • bmxddevil

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:22 PM

I have installed this game also and face the same issue, as alt tabbing out of things gets the mouse buttons working i still have no use of the mouse
I have tried all of the above but nothing seems to work really .. Closing explorer just quit the game

Any solutions? I know this post is well late but if you could help that would be fantastic smile.gif

Alternatevil
  • Alternatevil

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:59 AM

Well, closing explorer.exe solved a lot of issues with old-ish games for me. Of course, it's only a matter of using Task Manager's New Task (Run) command to turn explorer.exe back on after you've been playing the game.

It shouldn't close the game, I think. Just alt-tab around for it, since the taskbar is now gone.
I am using Windows 7, and it worked way back in Vista for me too.

trashmenclan17
  • trashmenclan17

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:11 PM

I used to have this problem with VC but i fixed it with ease. By chance did you try right clicking of the Vc application selecting properties >>compatibility>>Check run if compatibility mode for>>select 98/Me>>apply and that shold be an easy solution if you havent fixed it already.

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (trashmenclan17 @ Sunday, Jul 24 2011, 15:11)
I used to have this problem with VC but i fixed it with ease. By chance did you try right clicking of the Vc application selecting properties >>compatibility>>Check run if compatibility mode for>>select 98/Me>>apply and that shold be an easy solution if you havent fixed it already.

This worked for me.

I was having loads of problems running this under Vista Ulitmate 64bit. Mouse working intermittently, random freezes entering and exiting menus.

I happened upon this post, so as suggested, I set compatibility to Windows 98/Me. OMG, it runs like a dream. It sets up a fresh settings file in a different location, so I had to set all that up again. But I copied the save game files to the new folder and the game picks them up. It now runs a treat. No more mouse problems and no more locking up.

Huge thanks. biggrin.gif

quive
  • quive

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:12 AM Edited by quive, 08 December 2012 - 02:31 PM.

QUOTE (meson1 @ Tuesday, Mar 6 2012, 00:51)
It sets up a fresh settings file in a different location, so I had to set all that up again.  But I copied the save game files to the new folder and the game picks them up.  It now runs a treat.  No more mouse problems and no more locking up.

Huge thanks.  biggrin.gif

Hey, just ran into this problem. Wondering if anybody knows where the save files are and where I need to move them?

--hey, figured it out and found where the save files are

M3ogdy
  • M3ogdy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (quive @ Saturday, Dec 8 2012, 09:12)
QUOTE (meson1 @ Tuesday, Mar 6 2012, 00:51)
It sets up a fresh settings file in a different location, so I had to set all that up again.  But I copied the save game files to the new folder and the game picks them up.  It now runs a treat.  No more mouse problems and no more locking up.

Huge thanks.  biggrin.gif

Hey, just ran into this problem. Wondering if anybody knows where the save files are and where I need to move them?

--hey, figured it out and found where the save files are

The Save Files are in

XP->My Documents -> GTA Vice City User Files

Vista/Se7en/Ei8ht->Documents OR Start-><User name>->My Documents.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users