Photo

my forums..

13 replies to this topic
skatingfreak666
  • skatingfreak666

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:30 AM

hey, everyone of my forums i create @ (www.invisionfree.com) NEVER work out, simply because i dunno, could someone help me at creating my own Forums?

fox09
  • fox09

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:38 AM

Forums are slowly becoming the new MySpace, every idiot has to have one.

_-playero-_
  • _-playero-_

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:42 AM

Hey, my man is no idiot. mad.gif

Having a forum is not an easy task any idiot can handle. First, you need a goot theme, a topic, a layout. You'll need people to make the place worth being. You'll need features to attract people. You'll need moderation, etc.

skatingfreak666
  • skatingfreak666

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:44 AM

QUOTE (_-playero-_ @ Sep 18 2006, 14:42)

Having a forum is not an easy task any idiot can handle. First, you need a goot theme, a topic, a layout. You'll need people to make the place worth being. You'll need features to attract people. You'll need moderation, etc.

Yes i know that, but when i get my freinds to join, they don't post or do anything, they just register and leave.

bored.gif I dunno, i really want to have a good forum.

Jordan
  • Jordan

Boss

• Members

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:55 AM

I thought getting your own forum was the old thing, not the new one?

I used to make an ezboard back in the 90's and try to get people to post on it. Never worked.

fuckindumass
  • fuckindumass

Pissing the night away

• Members

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:02 AM

You need a reason to have a forum. It's just like a business, if people aren't asking you for something, you can create all the forums or business locations you want, but they'll be empty. I ran a forum a couple years ago, it was a bitch, I don't miss it. Towards the end it started taking up several hours each day. So I pulled the plug. It was a socom clan forum, great fun for a while, but now I don't play it anymore.

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:19 AM

Jordan: that's what I thought. Myspace is the new forums mixed with geocities and sucks as much as them two added together. Also have you maybe thought if you KEEP making forums and they all fail there's a good reason for it?

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:28 AM

QUOTE (_-playero-_ @ Sep 17 2006, 22:42)

Yes, unlike MySpace where all you have to do it copy & paste a code and it works out... lol

So, what is this "Problem" you are having? Plus, this should be in WDP or whatever, lol

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:14 AM

I don't get why so many people start up forums for no reason, if you haven't got a decent reason for needing a forum, why bother. And it's you've gone through more than 2 forums already, then maybe the reason your forums aren't taking off is because you don't really need a forum at all.

But after all, it is your choice, so if your are trying to start up a good forum, a few pointers:
  • Come up with a good theme for the forum, not a skin theme, I mean a theme as in what the forums there for.
  • Get some nice graphics for the forum's skin and such, as most users will return if they like the look of the site overall.
  • Advertise on forums in your signature, similar websites, and take advantage of Search Engines and Banner Exchange programs.

Thats all I can think of now, but it's about everything needed to start up a good forum. See how ya go icon14.gif .

skatingfreak666
  • skatingfreak666

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:17 AM

okily dokily, I'll get some sweet skins for them and some new PIP'S and yeah, we can only see how i go from there

btw, Happy Birthday Y_Less.

P.S: Thanks for the replies.

Toadyd
  • Toadyd

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:11 AM

http://www.forumtrends.com
http://earnersforum....isplay.php?f=42

Results 1 - 10 of about 30,600,000 for gta forums
Results 1 - 10 of about 12,800,000 for gta community
Results 1 - 10 of about 20,900,000 for grand theft auto forums
Results 1 - 10 of about 10,600,000 for Gran Turismo forums.
Results 1 - 10 of about 33,800,000 for World Of Warcraft forum
Results 1 - 10 of about 172,000,000 for online game action
Results 1 - 10 of about 179,000,000 for online gaming action

How are people who aren't your friends you beg to join going to be able to find your site? Using invisionfree won't help either, the URL is long and simply not memorable to people. Perhaps thats why your friends haven't been coming back, they visit, see there is nothing at all to do (you need to make your forum look active, start threads and write some good posts about the subject you're covering - don't expect to be able to leave it up to your members. If you visit a page, and it is practically empty would you stick around?) and then go again. There is no incentive to stay, or post let alone register.
  • Memorable
  • Active
  • Unique Content
  • Incentive to register
Are all key qualities you need but are currently totally lacking.

Your forum has 4 posts, there is no activity and the subjects are all ones that there are thousands of other sites covering. If you just want to make a gaming forum, then it isn't going to get big unless you have time, knowledge and money.
ForumTrends postcast number.. 12 i think takes about budgeting for your community, although they talk about how you can launch practically for free - realistically they say $1000 is a good starting point.
Obviously you can do it for free, but if you are willing to spend nothing at all then unless you are incredibly lucky you are not going to get very far. Even if your only expense is a domain ($13 AUD? - which is what, about one fast food meal?) and then possibly your own hosting too however that could come at a slightly later date.

Both those sites are very much about creating a forum and earning money from it too, but the advice they offer will be helpful even if you are just wanting to make a forum because its something you enjoy. It won't happen by itself though, like f*ckindumass said it will take time to manage but if you are serious about it this should get you started.

P.S your sig probably doesn't help boost visitors, instead of begging why not have the URL and then a short interesting description to go with it.

Yoshizawa
  • Yoshizawa

blink blink

• Members

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:16 AM

This topic is really interesting. The only few times I have tried to make a forum was out of necessity (I had a ragnarok server once and I made one for that, as well as a karaoke forum). I've never actually tried to make a social forum not because I lack the skill to do so but simply because there's a much bigger userbase on other forums, and if you're willing to sacrifice mod or admin powers (which aren't that big of a deal in the first place) then you can usually find a community that's already thriving based on what subject you're interested in.

audiobully13
  • audiobully13

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:56 AM Edited by audiobully13, 31 October 2006 - 12:00 PM.

to get a sucsessful fourm you need to do the following:

1. make your own custom banner buttons and so on (dont make it look like everyone elses forums with free banners that you can downlaod

2. In every place that you can advertise it do (aslong as it does not break the rules)

3. Get a domain I know a site where you can get a free domain (but wont say it) or just pay for 1 its a lot easyier to remember than www.inavsionfree.......com(whateva)

uNi
  • uNi

instantrum

• None

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:37 PM

I'm running/administrating 4 forums at the moment, but been moderator in a few more. The first one I got
in is from a brazilian e-sports site wich I joined way back in 2003, started as a moderator for the gta boards, got promoted to global moderator and I'm admin now since maybe a year.

I like it, but you need time and lots of patience to run one. Some points I think are important:

- Ask your self if you really need one.
- Focus on one subject, and work from there.
- Think on you want to do and how.
- Once you know the subject browse around for forums with the same subject and probably will best if
you help in one of the another.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users