» «
Photo

Demarest's Pillager Code Tool

52 replies to this topic
Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:38 PM Edited by girishb, 07 April 2009 - 03:08 AM.

updated 22 Sept 2006 to include support for SA v2 users
updated 23 Sept 2006 to fix errors in the code present from spaceeinstein's sabotaging the INI for SAMB
update: 28 Sept 2006 (no new code) it is now understood to also address snapshots properly
updated 08 Oct 2006 to fix a minor bug that would plot more points than necessary in a partial oyster save. also recreated both versions to address a v2 noncompliance report
updated 11 Oct 2006 a pair of fixes to the v2 version that WILL make it work as well as a correction that the 08 Oct release of the v1 version had

Pillager is a Code Tool meant to help you locate the pickups you have left in YOUR game. There's ins and outs, all explained in the readme, which is quoted below. Also below is a promotional pic and for those who upon starting a new game DO wish to jump into the tags, a pic of the 2 locations in LS where a spraycan can be had from the beginning. Download page here

If whoever is in charge of this area would be so kind as to pin a Code Tools thread like in the GTA3/VC sections, I'll put together a comprehensive topic.

user posted image

For those not familiar with my Code Tool series, it is a group of "mods" meant to either assist in gameplay or flat out cheat for you. Pillager is actually a gameplay Code Tool, not a cheat. It is no different from consulting a guide except it is precise, ingame, and tailored to YOUR game (with the exception of photo ops). Pillager is a Level III Darkpactor which means it can actually replace the game's original code outright. It is forwards and backwards compatible with saves from original game code and you can even start a new game while Pillager is "installed". To install, BACK the main.scm file in your DATA/SCRIPT folder and replace it with the main.scm from Pillager.

While Pillager is in place any time you start a new game (after CJ is abandoned in that alleyway) or load a save, Pillager kicks in. It monitors your game's tags, oysters, horseshoes, and photo ops. For each of the four elements you have not yet completed, it will present a menu option. Exiting out of this menu will cancel Pillager, which will remain dormant until your next new game or game load. When you choose the option you want, the screen will fade out and a progress indicator will appear showing you it's progress. Even the most lengthiest of processes (tags) only takes 4-5 seconds. When it fades back, all items of that category that you have left will be indicated on the radar and will continue to be indicated until you complete that item. Complete all items of that category and you will be returned to the menu assuming you have other tasks yet to be completed. The exception is photo ops; complete them and you will have to manually bring about the menu. This is something I should be able to fix next time I need to get into the code. If you do not, Pillager will again become dormant until your next new game or game load that requires its assistance.

You do not have to complete all items in a particular category. You may return to the menu at any time by holding Crouch. Hold Crouch and you will see a progress meter begin to build that takes about 2 seconds to fill up. This is to avoid accidentally exiting when you do not wish to. If you fill the meter up and there are multiple tasks left, you will be returned to the menu where you can either exit Pillager or choose a different task. If however the task you are leaving is the only one you have left, simply letting the meter build up will exit Pillager, which will remain dormant until next new game or game load.

Tags appear as yellow blips, horseshoes as red, oysters as blue and photo ops as green. Photo ops are the black sheep of Pillager in that the code has no way of differentiating photo ops taken and ones that have yet to be taken. So even if you only have one left, it will still display the location of all 50. The upside to this is that a green marker appears in the game world, essentially adding visibility to an otherwise invisible option. I know I could've used that too many times to remember!

Use of Pillager will not harm or otherwise impact your save or game progress in any way. While Pillager is engaged, you are considered to be on a mission. So anything that cannot happen while on a mission like entering a gym or saving cannot happen while Pillager is engaged. You may exit at any time though and to turn it back on, you only need to save and reload. This can be done as often as you wish. If you should happen to find a bug, please report it. Playtesting has been administered in fair length, but nobody is perfect. Because Pillager is a Code Tool, any adjustments made will not by savegame dependent. So enjoy Pillager worry-free and get to those tasks!

user posted image

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

Wow, them effects on the images, are they actually what show up in the game? Because there very very classy, nice work once again Dem, you never seize to amaze me. You'll defiantly have to show me how you coded this one tounge.gif .

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:22 PM

If you're referring to the rings, no. Although that would be easy enough to pull off. In fact, had I thought of it before release, I could've whipped up a texture to go with it to auto ring the photo-ops when they're on screen, despite being invisible. The progress meter you see there IS what you see in game. I'm finding out that text draw is very powerful and very flexible. Be prepared for all my work to at least look nice from now on smile.gif

uNi
  • uNi

instantrum

• None

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:10 PM

Awesome work Demarest ! That helps a lot lazzy people, like myself.

vint_cool
  • vint_cool

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:01 PM

Awesome buddy !! Enjoy some cookies cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:25 PM

Thanks, guys.

@uni: In what way does it help the lazy? If you mean lazy as in not having to alt+tab and consult online guides or lazy as in not having to go back and forth between the screen and a guide beside you, then you are correct. But this Code Tool does not actually do anything for you. If you'd like such a Code Tool, I'm pretty certain it would be very easy to make. But again, it would not be possible to do photo ops for you. I intentionally made this one not do anything for you so that those who refuse to cheat, but are in fact willing to consult a guide (this includes looking up a single pic online) have a way of seeing things ingame. It also has the nifty side effect of helping those who only have a few left of a partcular item figure out which ones they're missing.

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Winner of Euro 2008 Prediction League

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:27 PM

wow once again nice work icon14.gif

uNi
  • uNi

instantrum

• None

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:35 PM

Yes, as in "not having to alt+tab and consult online guides or lazy as in not having to go back and forth between the screen and a guide beside you". smile.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 September 2006 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Download now includes Pillager v1 for use with SA EXE v2. Thanks to radioman for provoking the upgrade.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:42 AM

Hey Demarest, I keep getting an 404 Error message when trying to download the pillager code tool and the rebirth code tool. Good Job on the updates to all code tools and thanks for keeping them up to date.

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:53 AM

QUOTE (radioman @ Sep 24 2006, 16:42)
Hey Demarest, I keep getting an 404 Error message when trying to download the pillager code tool and the rebirth code tool. Good Job on the updates to all code tools and thanks for keeping them up to date.

Yeah, I'm getting the same error here, I'd say he's updated the file and forgotten to point the download link to the new file. He'll fix it soon icon14.gif .

Once again, great work Demarest, I love this mod, and the new feel your giving all your mods with the graphics and half transparent GUI icon14.gif .

San Anzeas
  • San Anzeas

Hitman

• Members

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:56 AM

Hey Demarest nice job on the pillager tool....
But sadly i have to report a serious compatibility issue.......
i have v1 unmodded SA with 74% completion and 21 tags sprayed.
i had some days reported a problem of tag(21st) not being recognized.
i think its been recognized as ur pillager too shows it as sprayed...
But worse counting all tags sprayed and unsprayed ones shown by pillager on map it turns out that total no of tags are 51........
moreover there is not a single tag in west part of los santos(to left of main dark black road on map of LS)
but when i use pillager and start a new game POOF..........
All tags are shown in all parts of LS.didn't count them exactly but i suppose that they are in all 100.....
so i just wanted to give u a little feedback so that u can improve upon the faults.
that way i'll find it easier to finish 100%
Thanx.....

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:25 PM

Yes, but if you'll recall, you've already posted that your tags were dinging, and not counting up or counting up and not dinging... I'm participating in the minimal kills competition and Pillager helped me find all tags without issue. So I know it works for all 100 tags. The way it works is based on the level of completion one particular opcode returns. If it returns erroneous, there's nothing I can do about that. My guess is that it's a direct result of your having completed it, but not, do you know what I mean? If it's any consolation, as I was going through, there were a couple times it said it was completed, but didn't ding, just like you had reported.

San Anzeas
  • San Anzeas

Hitman

• Members

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:29 PM

hey man that happened to just one tag only..........
so it isn't happening due to that..........
so that means that i'm simply unlucky that it didin't work out for me huh??

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:47 PM

I don't know. But without a save, there's nothing I can do but look at the code. Code looks fine and as I said I've personally tagged them all over 4 save/reloads and all went wimingly.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:09 PM

MAJOR update. I don't know why my initial tests did not reveal this, but I just tested it in an actual game and to my surprise, snapshots are handled just like all the others. That is to say that markers will ONLY appear no snapshots not yet taken and they will disappear as you take them. This has apparently always been functional; no upgrade to the code is made. Just thought I'd share the good news.

On a side note, it should be noted that the visibility increase due to the markers was a huge help. If nothing else, the blip on the radar at least helps to make sure you're lined up for those super long distance shots. Or shots where foliage obstructs your view, but a snapshot counts colgate.gif

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:02 AM

Hey Demarest, I hate pointing out bad things with the code tools, but the version 2 of "pillager" keeps causeing the game to crash-I tried it from 4 existing saves and also tryed it with a new game several times. On the saved games, after the loading screen, it goes back to windows program and shows a message that says "gta: sa has encountered a problem and needs to close, sorry for inconveniance" and when starting a new game it crashes right after the caracter appears in the alleyway and the same windows message appears. sorry for pointing out so many problems with the code tools.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:12 PM

It's only a "problem" if it goes unanswered wink.gif I can't say what exactly the problem was. Anytime I go to rerelease a tool that has dual support, I run the risk of labeling the v1 as v2 and vice versa. Did you try to use it on a v1 save just to see if that was the case? You don't have to.

I had to update Pillager anyways. During the min kill comp, I found an oyster plotted at 0,0,0. I had that problem with the horseshoes up front, but testing it with oysters, it never happened. It's been fixed now. I was extra careful in crafting both versions before re-releasing. Would you mind trying again? Also, are you certain the saves you tried were from unmodded code?

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:24 AM Edited by radioman, 09 October 2006 - 05:28 AM.

Hey Demarest, you were right, on the last version I downloaded, the one marked as version 1 worked when I started a new game, but it would not work at all on any of my saved games. I don't use any trainers or mods. the only mod I use is your mission passers code tool, but I know its not that because one of the saves i tried it on was a brand new one with the only mission being done was the very first one titled "big Smoke" the one that takes place at cj's house in ganton. I will try the new version you fixed in a little bit and than edit this post with the new results.

Edit: I think I figured out the problem, but please correct me if i'm wrong, the save games i tried to use it on was from both the original main.scm file and the mission passers main.scm file, could this be the problem with the save game compadibility issue? By the way, thanks for the quick reply to the last post.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (radioman @ Oct 9 2006, 01:24)
Edit: I think I figured out the problem, but please correct me if i'm wrong, the save games i tried to use it on was from both the original main.scm file and the mission passers main.scm file, could this be the problem with the save game compadibility issue?

No. Code Tools made since Darkpact Level III has been published have all been interchangeable chainable, etc... The beauty of the Code Tools series is its forwards and backwards compatibility. Any Code Tool in existence that could disrupt this prevents such disrupation by locking out a player's ability to save. One example would be Ancestral Recall, where the player is just reading what they have left to do. No actual manipulation.

The exception to my above no answer is known issues. However with what known issues have occured, the only one that had permanent damage was the old Tanker Commander bug. And that prevented a person from saving altogether, so it couldn't be that.

So may I assume all is dandy at this point?

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:21 AM

It occured to me that I was using v1's DPLIII template when repacking the v2 version. That and a new discrepency that pdescobar has discovered gives me concrete answers as to why it wasn't working. So as of now, it's rereleased and should be v2 compatible.

As a side note, anybody who downloaded this since my last post (even if it was just for the v1 version) will need to get it again.

I am THIS close to dropping v2 support altogether. I've had to redo my work more times because of it than I ever had to with ALL my works for GTA3 and VC combined. Still, I am VERY appreciative to those who take the time out to help me make my work the best it can be.

glenster
  • glenster

True

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:52 PM Edited by glenster, 25 October 2006 - 12:56 PM.

I've said I wanted something helpful like this for finding SA items since SA came out.
Thanks for the helpful work again! tounge.gif

I'd like an SA version of the VC code tool for jumps for SA jumps, too. One reason I
haven't played with them more is I didn't want to look all around for them.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:00 PM

Well the way UJ's are handled is very different now. They're hard-coded functions now much like Rampages were in the past. Not saying it couldn't be done. I will say that until SCM-based mem-hacking becomes a reality, I don't think any SA Code Tool could tell you which ones have and have not been done. Which means it would basically be me taking the coords listed and creating a routine out of them all. A bit of work and since UJ's aren't even required for 100%, those two items together means it will probably never happen.

Pranjal
  • Pranjal

Homie

• Members

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:09 PM Edited by Pranjal, 26 October 2006 - 04:20 PM.

I don't know whether San Andreas Mission Analyzer(SAMA) is a coded tool or not, but it certainly shows which jumps are done and which are not completed.

Download link here:

SAMA

glenster
  • glenster

True

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:05 PM

I was thinking of something simpler--not to know if you completed the jump, just something that would tell you where all the jumps are for when you want to goof around and do the jumps even if you did them before. When you turn it on, dots would appear on the map and radar.

Pranjal
  • Pranjal

Homie

• Members

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (glenster @ Oct 27 2006, 14:05)
I was thinking of something simpler--not to know if you completed the jump, just something that would tell you where all the jumps are for when you want to goof around and do the jumps even if you did them before. When you turn it on, dots would appear on the map and radar.

Exactly ,my friend. SAMA is the perfect tool for you . Try it and if it doesn't fulfill your wishes, tell me.

glenster
  • glenster

True

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:55 PM

Do you need .NET Framework for that? I don't have that installed.

Pranjal
  • Pranjal

Homie

• Members

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (glenster @ Oct 28 2006, 14:55)
Do you need .NET Framework for that? I don't have that installed.

Well I am not sure if .NET Framework is required to install SAMA . It may be because it is already installed on by PC by default.

Download .NET Framework 2.0 here:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0

glenster
  • glenster

True

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:34 PM

I'd like one that lets you know what territories are left to take over, too. For about a year, my 100% save says the Ballas have one territory, and I haven't seen them anywhere.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:11 PM

You guys don't mind if at some point, this gets back to a topic about Pillager, eh? I've think I've been abundantly patient.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users