Scrolling text

Here's a quick tutorial to produce something to this effect:

user posted image

Step1:

user posted image

Create a new document in photoshop.

Step2:

user posted image

Fill in the background colour of your choice. It could just be a varied background, like another signature, but for the purpose of this TUT i'll use black and keep it simple.

Step3:

user posted image

The background, will be the first frame of our animation, meaning we need to save it.
When saving the frames, create a new folder to save them in, this is neccessary otherwise it won't work.
For this example i created a new folder called "Text Scroll".
Also note that all frames must be saved in numerical order, as this is the first frame, i've named it "1" and i've saved it in .PNG format. I suggest you do the same to get the best result.

Step4:

user posted image

We now place the text onto our canvas, using any font and any colour you like, i've chosen "Alba Matter" and the colour white.

Step5:

user posted image

Notice how in photoshop layers that contain text are completley seperate to all other layers. This is so you soley edit the position and look of text on it's own. Select the text layer with the text tool "T".

Step6:

user posted image

When using the text tool, like any other program you get the column which sits before and after letters on text. This is represented in the red square on the right hand side of the above picture. The red square on the left hand side of the picture indicated where the text starts. So, as you can see, my "Text" has moved over the canvas, to the point where it is no longer on the canvas itself. This was done by using the space bar to shift the text across but maintain it's beginning position (left red quare)

step7:

user posted image

Hold the spacebar until you words disappear and all that's visible is the beginning of the text(left red square). The canvas is now taken up by spacebar taps.

DON'T POST YET. MORE COMING

Rob.
  • Rob.

Don't Stop

• Zaibatsu

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:16 PM

Step8:

user posted image

Hold space until even the beginning has gone off the page, in my case i would have moved my text to the left, to shift the beginning even further off the canvas. The space between the beginning and the canvas needs to be bigger than the size of the text itself, so once it's scrolled across it'll disappear off the otherside of the canvas.
The cursor is all there is to now represent the presence of text on my canvas.

Step9:

user posted image

This is where the animation and the production of the frames comes in. Begin to delete the space until the first part of the text enters the canvas, in this case the text has entered on the right hand side, becuase that's where i shifted it over to originally.

It shouldn't require you to physically move the text over with the mouse, the deletion of the spacebar taps should bring it in automatically. It's key to keep the text in the same position otherwise the text with change height in the finished piece.

Step10:

user posted image

Save this as a frame, becuase this is the first tiem the text has entered the canvas from being previously black, i will call it "2" as it follows frame "1" from a black canvas to the revealed text entering. Remember to save in the same folder, and as a .PNG

Step11:

user posted image

Keep delting space, as you go revealing more text, it's up to you how many deletes of the spacebar taps you wish to do each time, but for a smooth transition across the canvas i deleted one spacebar tap each time and saved as a frame each time. The finished result should appear like this in your folder. I had just under 30 frames in all.

Step12:

user posted image

Open up Adobe Imageready and go FILE>IMPORT>FOLDER AS FRAMES.

Select the folder you saved all the frames into and you'll get a screen looking like the one below.

Step13:

user posted image
user posted image

Those two windows should be visible on your screen if not, select WINOWS>LAYERS/ANIMATION to reveal them, although by default they appear automatically.

The first picture shows the frames in order of you opening their folder. At first it won't make sense but i will explain next. The second picture shows all the layers.

Rob.
  • Rob.

Don't Stop

• Zaibatsu

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:20 PM

Step14:

user posted image

By left clicking on the box shown here by the red box, an eye will appear in the box. This means that this layer is visible in the selected frame in the animation bar (selected frames are highlighted blue).

So, this is where you'll animate:

user posted image

Using this bar select "Frame 1" (left click on the frame)
In the above picture frame 2 is selected, so you'll want the one just before.
With Frame 1 selected (shown with the blue highlight).

Now using this window:

user posted image

Check Click the box marked "1.PNG" revealing the eye in it's corresponding box. Make sure that only 1.PNG has an eye selected.

In the above picture 10.PNG is selected, meaning i check clicked that box to reveal the eye with FRAME 10 highlighted blue in the animation bar.

You can probably see where this is leading. For each frame in the animation bar select it's corresponding layer.

EG Frame 3 = 3.PNG's eye is revealed
Frame 4 = 4.PNG's eye is revealed etc. etc.

Only it's eye can be revealed, no others. there may be some preselected so make sure you check before you finish off.

Pressing play on the naimation bar will preview your naimation, this is a useful tool for checking whether the animation is correct or not.

Step15:

After you've finished and you're confident with your work, do the following:

user posted image

And save in .GIF format.

You should have soemthing like this:

user posted image

Sites like Photobucket.com will allow you to upload your .GIF's for use with this forum.

I hope this TUT was of some use smile.gif
Have Fun.

CCPD
  • CCPD

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:21 PM

Great tutorial, thanks a lot!

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:31 PM

I've always wanted to know how you did this Rob, thank you for taking the time to do a tutorial for us. I'll add it to the archive ASAP. wink.gif .

Cheers'

tagamaynila
  • tagamaynila

Bézier cultist

• The Connection

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:37 PM

You could've saved a lot more time by using tween. In PS CS2, or if youdon't have it, use Imageready, Just create two keyframes, one with the text on the right(the initial frame) and one where the text is on the left (last frame). Then select your second frame (last) and click the tween button located in the aimation palette, the one with the four circles arranged diagonally. It will bring up a dialog box asking you how many transition frames to make in between your first and last frame, click ok and the computer does the rest of the work. This is all done in one document, by the way.

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:47 PM

Exactly my thoughts. dontgetit.gif

CCPD
  • CCPD

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:23 AM

Thanks for the tip tagamaynila!

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE (tagamaynila @ Sep 7 2006, 09:37)
You could've saved a lot more time by using tween. In PS CS2, or if youdon't have it, use Imageready, Just create two keyframes, one with the text on the right(the initial frame) and one where the text is on the left (last frame). Then select your second frame (last) and click the tween button located in the aimation palette, the one with the four circles arranged diagonally. It will bring up a dialog box asking you how many transition frames to make in between your first and last frame, click ok and the computer does the rest of the work. This is all done in one document, by the way.

Wow, that's amazingly easy, amazing what you can do with Adobe's smart software, thanks for the tip pal icon14.gif . I will definitely be trying this out wink.gif .

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:16 AM

I was going to say there must be a more dignified method than hitting spacebar. tounge.gif

Good tut' all the same.

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:40 AM

Alright, tutorial added to GFX Tutorial Archive, thank you for your great contribution Rob, and i hope there plenty more to come smile.gif .

icon14.gif

Steve.
  • Steve.

R.I.P Shane/Kutt.

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:32 PM

muppetmaster_karma.gif

Vanillainy
  • Vanillainy

Fancy Clown.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (Steve. @ Sep 7 2006, 15:32)
muppetmaster_karma.gif

Cock. GTFO if you have nothing decent to say.

Nice tut rob. Nice sig aswell. icon14.gif

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci
  • Unknown

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:36 PM

user posted image

Fairly simple, but I'm sure some people weren't aware of how to do it. icon14.gif

Personally I use GIMP, so the names and locations of the actions would be a bit different, but the basic premise would be the same. Again, I'm not sure about Photoshop because I don't use it, but in gimp you can just make a single layer, copy the layer multiple times, then move each one, rather than saving multiple single layer images. Until you save you can have multiple RGB layers, and can after saving if you save as .xcf (gimp's verison of a .psd). I assume you can do this in Photoshop as well, though since I don't use it I don't know how exactly.

Either way, nice tut. smile.gif

Steve.
  • Steve.

R.I.P Shane/Kutt.

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (FunkyChunky @ Sep 7 2006, 16:57)
muppetmaster_karma.gif

Well state the obvious. I posted that because I had nothing decent to say.

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (Steve. @ Sep 8 2006, 02:41)
QUOTE (FunkyChunky @ Sep 7 2006, 16:57)
muppetmaster_karma.gif

Well state the obvious. I posted that because I had nothing decent to say.

The don't post at all. It's that simple, nothing to say, then don't post. Not only was your post spam, but it was just plain stupid. Rob is at 5 karma, and I don't think he did this for karma, considering he is at 5 already, so your post is incorrect. Refraim from doing it in the future thank you.

.Rafto
  • .Rafto

Young Rasta

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:04 AM

Is it possible to make a scroll text without ImageReady? I only have Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended. I did all of my frames (27) but I'm worried that I did it all for nothing if I can't put them to work.

M|chael
  • M|chael

still cooler than the other side of your pillow

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (.Rafto @ Apr 23 2009, 08:04)
Is it possible to make a scroll text without ImageReady? I only have Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended. I did all of my frames (27) but I'm worried that I did it all for nothing if I can't put them to work.

Nice work bumping a 3 year old topic. smile.gif

I dont know about Photoshop, but Im fireworks CS4, all you need to do Is open the 'Frames' panel, and add about 20 or so frames.
Place the text sticking out a little from the right on the 1st frame, then select the second frame, paste the text a little more over to the left, and continue. Once your finished (I.E the text is all the way over and is now dissapeared from view on the left side), you can then save as an animated gif which will loop, (Like a news ticker), or a animated PNG -(which I believe are now supported in the latest version of firefox,-and the mac equivelant)

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (.Rafto @ Apr 23 2009, 03:04)

ImageReady is more or less built into Photoshop CS3 & 4 minus some features but for the most part ImageReady was moved into Adobe Fireworks

In CS3&4 look Window->Animation to get the same timeline window that you see for ImageReady
The difference is that each Layer will be the the frame.
Create each layer to your liking. In the Animation window and from it's menu make sure, unless you want it, that New Layer Visible In All Frames is unchecked, but most importantly select Make Frames From Layers

So where he has you saving each "frame" as it's own image. You can create each layer then they will be made into frames. Actually I think you could do that in CS2 and then send the image to ImageReady to get the same thing without saving each as an image.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users