Photo

THIRST FOR BLOOD v1

76 replies to this topic
Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:26 AM

Thirst For Blood is finally finished! Want to grab it? Discuss it? Ask about it? Makes a suggestion? Share your high score? This is the thread. This game is a total conversion in that it changes the way many things work as well as what's important! So be sure to read the ever long and dull readme. It's necessary. Well at least read the installation part thoroughly. BACKUP FILE BEFORE ALTERING/REPLACING THEM! After that, I suppose you can look stuff up as you wish. Release page here. Optional radar addon there as well. Also a link to the 29 MB optional audio. Both are recommended. Thirst For Blood's ZIP comes with the audio file for those savvy enough to pull it off themselves instead of downloading the 29 MB addon. Promotional screenie and readme below. Enjoy and don't be afraid to post!

user posted image

user posted image

PREMISE
You are an ancient spirit. You thirst for blood. You've come to Las Barrancas to feed. Law enforcement will not take too kindly to this. A grand scale war will take place as a result. You have the advantage of feeding off the blood of others for virtual immortality. You have the disadvantage of warring against a very distracting, highly organized, and seemingly unrelenting army of law enforcement agencies that are terrified of your presence to the point of wanting to exterminate you. The more mayhem, the greater you will to live rises. Little do they know that you're wise enough to leave when need be. Should they happen to kill or ensnare you, you simply slip into a more comfy, less recognized form for further feeding!

MECHANICS
TFB actually changes the way the game operates in a few ways. Instead of health and armor, you have critical level, blood, and spirit. Spirit is a lot like armor, but if you max it out, it will actually begin to add to your "health". Blood can only be obtained through the slaughter of random pedestrians. You can stockpile it with no limit. Your critical level rises with your wanted level. It acts as a minimum health. If your health is below the critical level, the game automatically raises you up and depletes from your blood level accordingly. Blood is a good thing to have because if you were to suddenly fall 50 health below your critical level (say from an explosion), even if you only had 1 blood point, your health will be restored to your critical level.

The classic HUD has been knocked out. This means cash and wanted level will not be visible. Cash is irrelevant in this game and largely not present. Not knowing your wanted level adds to the intensity of the game. Your health and armor will not be displayed, but again, this game doesn't operate that way. Your critical level, spirit, and blood are indicated with other visuals. Critical level is usually invisible if your health is above it. Drop below it and the screen will start to pulse red like a heartbeat. Faster heartbeat means closer to becoming weak. Spirit is displayed by a purple orb that circles your body. The higher it is off the ground, the higher your current spirit is. Blood is indicated in a similar way, but the orb is red. Since blood is unlimited, you can actually get up to 4 orbs. When you get blood, you'll start off with one around your feet that will rise as your level rises. Should you top that off, it will become two orbs at your feet. Repeat the process until you have 4 orbs circling your head. That's the extent of your blood indicator, but you can still collect blood well beyond the max the orbs will display. Max heighth for the blood orbs is approximately 10 victims worth of blood.

When you slaughter a random pedestrian, they turn into a veritable blood fountain. The game can support up to 13 fountains at the same time and each fountain will last about 10 seconds. Walking through it is all you need to do to collect the blood from it. Blood is like health, but is unlimited and has restoration powers greater than raw health.

There are no weapons in the game except what you get from law enforcement and their car. Each "life", you begin with a pistol and 14 rounds. Since this limits which weapons are available, the alternative user interface displays all 5 weapons. If you don't have it, it is faded out to the point of almost being invisible. If you get a weapon, it becomes lightly lit up. When a weapon is armed, it's icon grows in size. This system is meant for a quick understanding of your weapons situation without having to move your focus from the center of the screen for the most part. Ammunition is displayed by meters along the bottom. The bottom, more faded one is reserve ammo. The top, more illuminated one is the amount of ammo you currently have in the magazine. It's important to understand that the meter is expanded once again for easy tracking with your peripheral vision. The reserve ammo scale is displayed at a ratio of 10 to 1. Meaning that if that meter is full, you have AT LEAST 10 more magazines worth in reserve. The exception is the shotgun. Because it only has 1 shot capabilities, it will not display a magazine meter, but your total ammo meter will be more illuminated. In Thirst For Blood, you can aim and shoot while moving when you are using any weapon, which is an improvement over the shotgun, MP5, and M4 requiring you to stand still in the original game. This is necessary for the intense gunfights you will encounter. Because you are old, your physical form isn't in tip top shape. Weapons are easy enough for you because you pull the trigger. If you physically exert yourself though, you will lose health.

As an ancient spirit, you have a highly developed perception system. So anytime you attack somebody, the game will slow down to allow for greater accuracy and reaction time. Anytime you press Aim, the game will also slow down for the same reason. For as long as you hold Aim, the game will remain in a slowed down state. Use this to your advantage for superior performance in intense gunfights with mutiple targets. Remember: Just because the game is slowed down doesn't mean the rate at which you can move your mouse is. So this REALLY yields greater accuracy and reaction time, which is key.

You are so ancient however, that you do not grasp complex machines like vehicles. Try to and you will fatally injure yourself. There are exceptions: All law enforcement vehicles except the Enforcer. You cannot operate these, but the game does allow you to pillage and hotwire them. By pillage, I'm merely refering to the way entry level cop cars award you a shotgun for entering them. Enter any of these vehicles and it is set on fire, ready to explode. So get out of there! You will receive spirit and points for hotwiring law enforcement vehicles in addition to points and spirit you will get for the weapons you collect, vehicles you destroy, and cops caught in the explosions, so it is not a bad idea to hotwire them. Lesser cops will actually RUN from a fire, which can buy you some easy sniping time.

You are essentially immortal. Wasted and busted are conditions of the game that cannot be avoided. However, you don't actually become victim to them. Should you be captured or your body destroyed, you will seek out a nearby bystander to "possess". You will take on their form and start with a fresh gun. Your current run however, WILL be over, which means your score and stats will be zeroed for another run. If you get really low on life and are still alive, your wisdom will take over and you will flee the scene to avoid having to take on a new form. If this happens, again, your stats will be zeroed and high score assessed. The difference besides being able to keep your original form is that you'll drop your currently armed weapon there. Weapons give you points and spirit, so you can return to the scene for some free points. Anytime your current run ends, you will be prompted to save. There is no real advantage to saving except the ability to retain your high score.

Last but not least is the radar. There will be as many as 15 random pedestrians (donors) within your immediate vicinity. They are displayed by small blips on the radar. This is to give you an idea of the concentration of doners to help you decide which direction to head. It's for assisting in strategy.

CONTROLS
Controls are mostly the same as San Andreas. Holding Aim as mentioned will keep you in focused mode for increased accuracy and reaction time. If you have ANY weapons, you will automatically be armed. This is to prevent you from being in an intense gunfight and accidentally select your fists. It also helps make sure you don't lose any more health than you have to by exerting yourself. Pressing Conversation Yes while a weapon is armed will selective reload that weapon. This is faster than a combat reload and easier to pull off when focused than it would be to scroll off the weapon and scroll back.

SCORING
All elements of the game have been tweaked to provide an ideal mix of fun, challenge, and longevity. The scoring system is no different. This is only included to help people understand the game and maybe even strategize better ingame how to proceed. Blood can ONLY be had through the slaughter of random pedestrians. Unfortunately, this does not include people driving, even after they've left their vehicles (road rage). It also doesn't include law enforcement officers. One blood fountain will give you 15 blood points. Remember, having only one blood point is enough to restore you to your critical level, regardless of how depleted you are. Everything else you can accomplish in the game will give you both spirit and points using the following table. While spirit adds to your longevity, a high score is your ultimate goal. The difference in acquiring blood, spirit, and points is what makes the strategy of Thirst For Blood so flexible and challenging. You score for the following reasons: Destruction of any vehicle, acquiring weapons, headshots, killing law enforcement, hotwiring law enforcement vehicles, and bringing down helicopters. Scoring IS cumulative, so if you headshot a cop through his windshield, pick up his gun, hop in his car long enough to score his shotgun and hotwire it, get out, and it explodes, taking 2 other cars with it, you will be awarded for each of those. Remember that explosions can also cause blood fountains if it took out random pedestrians in the area. It will also create fires though. You will quickly find that scores are relatively low. It was meant for a tougher scale of comparison. Keep in mind that collecting blood is above and beyond the single greatest profit in terms of longevity.

taskspiritpoints
headshot11
killing LEO32
pickup pistol21
pickup shotgun22
pickup uzi54
pickup mp575
pickup m497
destroy any vehicle34
hotwire basic cop car21
hotwire FBI Rancher54
hotwire Barracks76
hotwire Rhino98
destroy helicopter3050

INSTALLATION
Ready to play? Installation comes in two versions: With audio and without audio. While audio isn't necessary, it IS part of the title screen. I've only made no audio an option because the audio must either be manually installed by the user or acquired through an already installed, 29 MB download. This means that if you want the audio version, you can download the 29 MB audio ZIP, or use the tfblood.ogg file that comes with Thirst For Blood along with pdescobar's SA Audio Toolkit to install it yourself. Regardless of whether you choose manually installed audio, preinstalled audio, or no audio at all, this mod requires you to alter/replace original game files BACK THOSE FILES UP FIRST!!! I have spent over 3 years saying the first rule of modding is BACKUP. Failure to do so will leave you up a creek, where you WILL be on your own. So preserve your own game and take a moment to backup the files before altering/replacing them. Save games made with either version are compatible with one another!

First things first, take tfblood.txd and place it in your MODELS/TXD directory. This will not alter/replace any of your game files and therefore will not need to be moved/reversed to go back to regular SA.

Secondly, replace the american.gxt file in your TEXT folder with the one from Thirst For Blood. This file contains all the GXT info the original game did, plus TFB's GXT strings, plus my Coordinator mod's GXT strings. Leaving it in place even when playing regular SA is perfectly fine, unless you play another mod that requires GXT entries (which you can add from one to the other or swap entire files as needed).

Third, replace the weapon.dat file in your DATA folder with the one from Thirst For Blood. This step is necessary to have the added weaopns flexibility that Thirst For Blood benefits from.

This step is a side step. Thirst For Blood was made to have a very subtle user interface. Doing so makes the radar stand out like a sore thumb. I have already released my SA radar, which is a radar that is only 40% opaque. This along with the tiny blips on it help add to the overall subtle feel. However, it would require the user to install 144 files himself. It is recommended, but not necessary. That much is up to you.

Now you must decide if you're going to play the audio or no audio version. The audio ONLY occurs during the title screen, which is only played at first and then each time you die. Either way, you are going to be replacing the main.scm file in your DATA/SCRIPT folder with one of the ones from Thirst For Blood. Choose either mainnoaudio.scm or mainwithaudio.scm and put it into your DATA/SCRIPT folder. Rename it to main.scm.

If you've chosen with audio, you will now need to choose to either sit through a 29 MB download, or add it yourself using pdescobar's SA Audio Toolkit. If you download the 29 MB ZIP file, get into your AUDIO/CONFIG folder and replace TrakLkup.dat with the one from the 29 MB download. You will also need to get into your AUDIO/STREAMS folder and replace the BEATS file (no extension) with the one from the 29 MB file. You are ready to play! If you're adding the audio yourself, use pdescobar's SA Audio Toolkit to open up BEATS from your AUDIO/STREAMS folder. Follow his instructions to edit in tfblood.ogg in place of BEATS's Track_008. Wrap it back up and replace the files as above, only the new files will be the ones you just made instead of downloaded.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
Why does it play victory music every time I die?
For the sake of filesize, Thirst For Blood was meant to use the victory music for its own audio. If you are hearing victory music, you've chosen the mainwithaudio.scm without providing it with the audio. Either use mainnoaudio.scm instead or install the audio as described above.

Why does the screen go grey during the title screen? OR Why are there grey blocks where my weapons should be?
You forgot to install tfblood.txd as outlined above. Keeping it there even when you're not playing Thirst For Blood will not effect other games, so it's just as easy to put it there and leave it there. It's only 2.52 MBs in size.

Why does my save screen say that saves made with Thirst For Blood have no save file present?
The save file title is based upon your american.gxt. You will need to replace the original one with the one from Thirst For Blood. This will not only make the save screen read correctly, but will also provide you with a couple ingame texts you've been missing out on.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
I'm going to forget somebody, so please keep your tomatoes to yourself. First, thanks to R* for this awesome (literally) game. Second and foremost, thanks to Barton Waterduck. Wish he was still around. Without his tools, my modding career would not be a career. Thanks to CyQ, Y_Less, and PatrickW. These guys have played the largest roles in my education. Thanks to pdescobar, whose work was my ONLY exposure to audio editing, but was still done well enough that I was able to pull it off with minimal sacrifice. Thanks to Delfi/JernejL, whose TXD Workshop enabled me to enact the visuals of the title screen as well as the alternative user interface. Thanks to Ben for his large contributions to layout theory. Thanks to everybody who has helped made the modding scene enjoyable and those of you who took the time to read all this so that you can have the best experience from Thirst For Blood. Honorable mention to DJDJ for provoking me to create the Neo series, which was meant to evolve into something LIKE this, but SA's engine really paved the way for.

SUPPORT
I am Demarest from GTAForums.com and can always be reached there. Be sure to visit the official Thirst For Blood discussion/suggestions thread *here*

DEVELOPERS
For those of you who mod your game, I've included a few files for you. First, the american.ini. This is for use with Hammer83's SA GXT Edit. TFB's american.ini uses pdescobar's completed INI as a foundation. Strings used in TFB are TFBLOOD, RUNAWAY, POSSESS, TFBBSTD, and TFBWSTD. Also, COP_M2 (unused in SA) has been modified to say THIRST FOR BLOOD. Finally, the DEAD and BUSTED strings were blanked.

I've also included the source code for the SCM. I intentionally used global vars when not needed to try and make the code as readable as possible. If you plan on using my source as a foundation, you will need to temporarily replace SAMB's variables.ini with TFB's. This is necessary anytime you're using global arrays, which TFB does extensively. Anything not covered here, feel free to ask.

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:43 AM Edited by jarjar, 06 September 2006 - 05:53 AM.

Wow, this looks really cool. And very interesting, can't wait to try it out. It's nice to see you back making modifications again Dem, we're needing some new great Mission Mods. Thank you for once again putting your great knowledge and hard work into making another kick ass mod.

Welcome back smile.gif .

Cheers'

Edit: Also, i really really like the new interface you gave to the game, that looks awesome icon14.gif . I'll have to get you to show me how you did that wink.gif .

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:45 AM

Thanks, jarjar. colgate.gif It feels good to have created this. Much of my work is manipulation as opposed to creation, so this isn't my usual cup of tea.

Also forgot to mention that infinite run is enabled and hunger is countered so neither are a fact in Thirst For Blood.

Also realized I forgot a few acknowledgements. spaceeinstein and PLPynton. Their work at clarifying opcodes helped me. And although I mentioned pdescobar's name more than anybody else, it was for specific things. Well in addition to those, he was very helpful with some of the legwork.

Finally, a couple more pics...

user posted image

user posted image

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 September 2006 - 03:07 PM

Y_Less pointed out a bug to me. While testing it for myself, I stumbled upon a 2nd (minor/aesthetic) error. Both have been corrected. Anybody who grabbed the main download before this post should download it again. ONLY the main.scm has changed, so if you've already installed it, replacing that file only will suffice. This will render any saves made from then until now incompatible. Sorry.

Edmachine
  • Edmachine

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:49 PM

Dem, how about putting darkpact (At least I think that was the mod, for playing saved games on modded scm's) so that other save games are compatible...

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:24 PM Edited by spaceeinstein, 06 September 2006 - 05:27 PM.

Wow, this mod is very unique. The special effects are awesome. Thanks for the acknowledgement. One question: How do I save the game?

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (spaceeinstein @ Sep 6 2006, 12:24)
One question: How do I save the game?

Get captured, get destroyed, or lose too much blood. Until now, this was sufficient. However, after nearly two weeks straight of playing it, I've reached the point where I could PROBABLY play indefinitely. Which doesn't bother me too much because the challenge at first is still intense and this was meant to primarily be the relase of the TFB "engine". From here, exansions can be made. Missions, rewards, etc. I figured if I put it out there, I could pull from the creativity of the community as well. Sometimes I'll fire up SA with a minigun and just go to town to kill some time. This takes that to a whole new level and I think people that enjoy the same thing will love it. Thank you for the effects compliment. The game was all but finished almost a week ago and most of the time spent since then have been prettying it up. Working the mechanics out and then masking their specifics to the naked eye helps give it that new game fell IMO.

@edmachine: Just in case that didn't answer your question too, Darkpact is for adding mods to San Andreas. This is a completely separate game and the more it is developed, the more that will be true.

user posted image

user posted image

Krailer
  • Krailer

<3 fat chicks

• Members

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:07 PM

Iíve been playing this and I must say that I'm really enjoying it.

The twilight atmosphere gives a nice touch to the battleground and the new game mechanics are very intuitive. I especially like the slow-mo effect (great for snipping the brains out of moving targets) and the single-handed shotgun animation.

I even made a small video of it, watch it here

What's missing right now are some creative loading screens to replace the SA default ones. wink.gif

lord fido
  • lord fido

Retired gangbanger

• Members

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:15 AM

I have an idea for this... you could customize the mod so each time your blood goes +10000 you get a reward.

Ej:

+10000 - your pistol gets replaced by a silenced pistol
+20000 - your shotgun becomes a sawn-off shotgun
+30000 - Hitman level with the micro uzi
+40000 - your silenced gun becomes a desert eagle
+50000 - your sawnoff becomes a SPAS 12.
+60000 - 5 Bodyguards (Ak47) for limited time (15 min)
+75000 - Hitman Level with DE, M4 and MP5.
+100000 - M4 Becomes Minigun (1000 rounds only)

And in that way the guns you earn have limited ammo. If you waste all the ammo your gun will morph back to the initial weapon. And the Stronger you get , the harde your enemies will be.

(+10000-50000) 2 SWAT choppers
(+50000-75000) Priests with flamethrowers are after you biggrin.gif
(75000-100000) Hunter after you happy.gif

That'll make the game more interesting...

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:30 AM

Great job on the interface, is this all through SCM? (the layout of weapons) Sounds great, havn't had time to try it out, but any chance of a second version alien.gif . So in this you can play as any ped? Awesomeness.

EDIT: What are the audi files for? and whats that little number at the bottom, your bloodometer (near Radar)

chaosislife
  • chaosislife

Member title?

• Members

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:14 AM

ok first of all I have the bug notes:pease note that i'm going off of the first release

(1)whenever I encounter the "you're losing too much blood,retreat to fight another day" message my game crashes.This has happened every single time so it can't be a random error.As that feature is also the only way to save the game, you can see how further play/testing becomes difficult.This error may be due to my version only as i'm using a "downgrade" patched second edition.

(2)also another problem i've encountered is that the weapon seemed to switch to sawed off shotgun (no animations but i got the sound and the effect)somehow and after getting off a few shots in that mode the game crashed again there as well. I've only had this happen twice but I've also not figured out just how i got the shotgun to begin with as i didn't see a pickup.I do know it was during battles with the police.

on to suggestions

(a)I've noticed that the slow motion is triggered both by the aim button as well as the fire button and I'd prefer if it were just with the aim so that it doesn't trigger when you punch someone.As it stands it's not helpful and quite annoying,since during a weaponless fight the slo-mo will be going on-off-on-off all the time.

(b)unless I'm misunderstanding a gameplay issue,it doesn't appear to be possible to switch weapons, for instance from pistol to fists.(unless you run out of bullets)if this is the case i'd like to be able to switch my weapons back and forth.

©if you can't figure out how to drive a car, the character should be using melee weapons more.And just how is it that the spirit can figure out how to (fire,load,reload,cock,aim) a gun and yet be too stupid too drive?it doesn't match up man

(d)ok, you're a spirit, spirits can typically fly, therefore add a nice flight mod

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:20 AM Edited by Demarest, 09 September 2006 - 03:41 AM.

@Krailer: Very nice video! Thank you. And thank you for noticing about the twilight environment. If I may make a suggestion though: Put down the controller! IF I could make video of me playing this with a mouse, you'd never go back. I've had times where the M4 is armed, I turn the corner, and there's 6-7 cops there. Within 2 seconds, they're all flat on the ground with no heads. You can't do that with a controller. I remember trying to play Supply Lines on the PS2 confused.gif

@lord fido: If you play the game, you'll see that there's only 5 weapons and even then, only because there has to be. Adding more weapons would only complexify the engine without any real benefit. For example, if you play this, you'll realize that adding in a sawnoff will not change anything. Or the fact that you already have Hitman level with everything but the pistol. You probably didn't realize that because you do not dual-wield, but I avoided that altogether even though making the MP5 and M4 like that was a breeze. I avoided it for ammo preservation purposes. Also, 2 police helis already follow you once your wanted level is high enough. Though I agree that in time adding more to that would add to the challenge. I'm pretty sure SA actually supports that ability.

@blackadder: The potential for expansion is here and I intend on following it up in a timely fashion once we all decide what a good direction to take it in would be. The audio file is for the title screen. And then numbers are your current score (the brighter of the two) and your high score (if there is one). Good question. Sorry I neglected to mention it (I think).

[EDIT]
QUOTE (chaosislife @ Sep 8 2006, 22:14)
As that feature is also the only way to save the game, you can see how further play/testing becomes difficult.
Not true. Becoming weak is the only way that's NEW. Getting "wasted" and "busted" are still present and do not result in you losing blood the same way, which I suspect is the cause of this crash. You're the second person to report this and the other person was also using a non-1.0 EXE. The upgraded EXE's were not made to be modded. I'm not educated on the specifics, but I'm certain this includes intentional fighting off of various modifications to the game. ONLY non-1.0 users are reporting a crash after ascension. I cannot be responsible for versions I do not have, particularly of versions whose sole purpose in manufacture were to prevent modding. Just as I cannot advocate engaging in warez, but if R* is going to take away the main reason a person would buy it for PC after having already had it for PS2 (raises hand), they deserve to have people acquiring the GOOD version anyways.

(2)also another problem i've encountered is that the weapon seemed to switch to sawed off shotgun (no animations but i got the sound and the effect)somehow and after getting off a few shots in that mode the game crashed again there as well. I've only had this happen twice but I've also not figured out just how i got the shotgun to begin with as i didn't see a pickup.I do know it was during battles with the police.
Shotguns are available in most police cars and can be dropped by police an army alike. The animation used for the shotgun is the one intended for hitman level sawnoff as it was the only way to effect single handed aim and shoot, allowing you to keep moving. Earlier versions of TFB tried using the shotgun in and of itself and would crash the game as your character tried to operate a two-handed action single handedly. How it knew, I don't know, but it's been worked around. Again, I cannot answer for the differences in versions, but I can report you're the only person experiencing difficulties with the shotgun and I don't believe that's a coincidence.

(a)I've noticed that the slow motion is triggered both by the aim button as well as the fire button and I'd prefer if it were just with the aim so that it doesn't trigger when you punch someone.As it stands it's not helpful and quite annoying,since during a weaponless fight the slo-mo will be going on-off-on-off all the time.
You might be surprised that the very first step in going form a stripped SCM to TFB was the advent of slow motion during an attack for effect. There's nothing stopping you from holding Aim while attacking to sustain the slow motion and in fact, in SA, pressing Enter/Exit while aiming engages you into a fiercer fighting style anyways. This was not meant to be a physical encounter type game. If you have to engage somebody by hand, it means you didn't manage your ammo properly. wink.gif

(b)unless I'm misunderstanding a gameplay issue,it doesn't appear to be possible to switch weapons, for instance from pistol to fists.(unless you run out of bullets)if this is the case i'd like to be able to switch my weapons back and forth.
I think you're misunderstanding the gameplay then as the readme states that if you have one weapon, you will be locked into it and if you have multiples, your selection will scroll through fists. This is to avoid you being in the middle of a gunfight, army circling you, helis above, and as your frantically switching say between MP5 and M4 to be able to inflict max damage and/or sprint, you suddenly scroll to fists. Not good. Besides that, you lose health for engaging in physical attacks. You always start off with 14 rounds, so using the last or second to last one to execute a cop and receive a fresh compliment isn't very difficult in my experiences in the game.

if you can't figure out how to drive a car, the character should be using melee weapons more.And just how is it that the spirit can figure out how to (fire,load,reload,cock,aim) a gun and yet be too stupid too drive?it doesn't match up man
Well, it's a video game. If you've ever tried to drive a car, then you know that knowing how to control how hard/soft you push the pedals is something you have to learn. If you watch the game, it appears as if you accidentally floor, it, bail in the panic, and hurt yourself as a result. Meanwhile, pulling the trigger isn't exactly a pressure-sensitive issue that takes experience to pull off. Basically, I didn't want the player to have the option of using a vehicle for cover, so I chose to write it is that way as to sort of justify it. If you're looking for realistic, put the computer down and walk about the streets of the real world wink.gif Video games are for the fun factor.

(d)ok, you're a spirit, spirits can typically fly, therefore add a nice flight mod
Well TFB picks up where my Neo series left off. To upgrade to the ability to super jump is definitely one of the things I'd like to work in. However, making the game a challenge is job number one, so it would have to be in a way that also limits you. How to do that is where the discussion lies.

Good feedback smile.gif

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:37 AM

Maybe for flight I have two suggestions

1: You can fly but it will deplete, when you are on ground it recharges but if you are in midair and it runs out you will fall to your death.

2: Take 10000 Points off or part of your health for 30 seconds of flight

Also maybe make it like random mode where you have to kill a random ped and when you do that you win or get something special, but extend it to ALL of SA wink.gif

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:35 PM

WoW Demarest, this mod rockz! Anywayz, u could use money pickups as Blood packs happy.gif Like in Vampire The Masquerade!

uNi
  • uNi

Cyclop 9

• None

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:13 PM

Damn, that HUD looks awesome, I really have to try this ! cookie.gif

lord fido
  • lord fido

Retired gangbanger

• Members

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:35 PM

Demarest , I think you should , atleast allow the nightstick, as it is a Police weapon. I know it could be underused but it would be useful when you run out of bullets and need ammo.

I noticed a weird glitch, when a agressive ped crashes his car againts other ped, the agressive ped pulls out a bat/golf club/spade and starts killing ppl. This is normal , but sometimes you can grab his weapon when he dies. It's kinda weird , you can have more than 5 weapons, like a normal shotgun and a SPAS.

Bigun
  • Bigun

wandering about

• Members

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:02 PM

Wow, tight mod, awesome effects and pretty addictive. I didn't expect it to be like this. wow.gif

Suggestions to improve the little thats left:
-More weapon(s), at least something to take out police helis more easily with, M4 isnt enough and you already get one heli at 3 stars, M4 only at 6, that combined with the fact you cannot drive away is not good for your health.
Maybe add the sniper rifle (pickup or whatever, your call). It isnt so strong normally but if you hit the INVISIBLE DRIVER rahkstar2.gif of police heil with it it goes down with one shot.
-How about er, an optional change from playing default as a demon bitch to something more fun to play as? Seems people didn't mind, but I don't like it so much.
-Toggle prompting to save after each death, for people that dont care about it/suck.
-Put a little delay on starting slowmo when pressing AIM, because currently that makes you take awhile to draw your weapon which is annoying. Also maybe have a separate button (action? especially if you manage to turn off the stat box[OR just use conversation_no]) for slowmo, so you can sprint in it and stuff?
-Quicker slowmo gamespeed when flying away after losing blood and when landing afterwards, its waay too long after you play alot and see it a thousand times ( blush.gif ).
-Do add flying but limited like blackadder said. The reason is that without being able to drive you're stuck playing the mod in the same part of the desert all the time which gets old and also is a waste considering SA map size. You also can't make getaways. ph34r.gif If you really want to avoid this make flying consume energy/blood. You can use pynthon's Super CJ mod if you want, I don't think he'll have a problem with that.
-Why can't you grab blood from drivers/cops? I dunno for the latter, but I remember in my coding I noticed 08E5 grabs people in cars (even while theyre still in) as well. Sorry I didn't check your source but if you aren't using that try it, you may be using a "get_random_ped_on_foot" or something.

Keep up the good work, you always release new interesting things and not the same old stuff. icon14.gif

lord fido
  • lord fido

Retired gangbanger

• Members

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (Bigun @ Sep 9 2006, 20:02)
Wow, tight mod, awesome effects and pretty addictive. I didn't expect it to be like this. wow.gif

Suggestions to improve the little thats left:
-More weapon(s), at least something to take out police helis more easily with, M4 isnt enough and you already get one heli at 3 stars, M4 only at 6, that combined with the fact you cannot drive away is not good for your health.
Maybe add the sniper rifle (pickup or whatever, your call). It isnt so strong normally but if you hit the INVISIBLE DRIVER rahkstar2.gif of police heil with it it goes down with one shot.
-How about er, an optional change from playing default as a demon bitch to something more fun to play as? Seems people didn't mind, but I don't like it so much.
-Toggle prompting to save after each death, for people that dont care about it/suck.
-Put a little delay on starting slowmo when pressing AIM, because currently that makes you take awhile to draw your weapon which is annoying. Also maybe have a separate button (action? especially if you manage to turn off the stat box[OR just use conversation_no]) for slowmo, so you can sprint in it and stuff?
-Quicker slowmo gamespeed when flying away after losing blood and when landing afterwards, its waay too long after you play alot and see it a thousand times ( blush.gif ).
-Do add flying but limited like blackadder said. The reason is that without being able to drive you're stuck playing the mod in the same part of the desert all the time which gets old and also is a waste considering SA map size. You also can't make getaways. ph34r.gif If you really want to avoid this make flying consume energy/blood. You can use pynthon's Super CJ mod if you want, I don't think he'll have a problem with that.
-Why can't you grab blood from drivers/cops? I dunno for the latter, but I remember in my coding I noticed 08E5 grabs people in cars (even while theyre still in) as well. Sorry I didn't check your source but if you aren't using that try it, you may be using a "get_random_ped_on_foot" or something.

Keep up the good work, you always release new interesting things and not the same old stuff. icon14.gif

Yeah the demon bitch sucks. I hope for the next version the game starts in a dark alley or something. It just gets boring.

I think it really is a waste of all the weapon slots in San Andreas. I think the rocket laucher or the RPG are too much, but for taking out the choppers/incoming cars you could add 3 more weapon slots:

-Meele (nigthstick/bat/spade/watever a ped carries)
-Sniper Rifle (pickup as this guy said, or atleast start with it)
-Dual wield pistol

That would really improve the game. Coz if you get a pickup the hud just doesnt show and its really weird.

Bigun
  • Bigun

wandering about

• Members

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:31 PM

I think it really is a waste of all the weapon slots in San Andreas. I think the rocket laucher or the RPG are too much, but for taking out the choppers/incoming cars you could add 3 more weapon slots:

-Dual wield pistol

I agree rocket launcher is too much, but in this mod you start with a pistol and can't really melee so you need to conserve your ammo (which is why Dem disabled dual wielding, it wastes more ammo). So that leaves only the sniper out of your list. colgate.gif

Coz if you get a pickup the hud just doesnt show and its really weird.

Unless it's of the weapons on HUD. The reason Dem made this, I assume, is so you have to earn your weapons, not like in the default game; find assault rifles and heavy weapons abandoned on the streets ( dontgetit.gif ), go to horse betting and magically turn time back until you win 100,000,000 and then max out your ammo in Ammunation. lol. This mod is about challenge.

lord fido
  • lord fido

Retired gangbanger

• Members

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (Bigun @ Sep 9 2006, 20:31)

-Dual wield pistol

I agree rocket launcher is too much, but in this mod you start with a pistol and can't really melee so you need to conserve your ammo (which is why Dem disabled dual wielding, it wastes more ammo). So that leaves only the sniper out of your list. colgate.gif

Coz if you get a pickup the hud just doesnt show and its really weird.

Unless it's of the weapons on HUD. The reason Dem made this, I assume, is so you have to earn your weapons, not like in the default game; find assault rifles and heavy weapons abandoned on the streets ( dontgetit.gif ), go to horse betting and magically turn time back until you win 100,000,000 and then max out your ammo in Ammunation. lol. This mod is about challenge.

I think Dem was right about this. But the demon bitch and the starting location should be changed, to a gloomier and more like ... gothic place.

PS:

New Screenies with weapons cheat ( I was curios about this so i tried it)

user posted image

That grandma had it coming...

user posted image

After a glorious fight I got defeated.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:28 AM

First of all, let me say thank you for all the great feedback! Secondly, let me say that this is not a game of invincibility. Anybody familiar with my Neo series knows that if you're interested in being superman, you need to grab v4 and v5 added more balance to the mix. This game was meant to be VERY challenging and that's why some things just are the way they are.
QUOTE (lord fido @ Sep 9 2006, 15:35)
Demarest , I think you should , atleast allow the nightstick, as it is a Police weapon. I know it could be underused but it would be useful when you run out of bullets and need ammo.
A single round will drop a cop. A single cop will drop 15 rounds. If you run out of ammo, that IS your fault and losing 1 life per swing is hardly punishment for that. It's not something to be catering too. Allowing a melee weapon would mean that in the middle of an intense gunfight, you would risk scrolling to a weapon that would be of no use to you, wasting valuable survival time.

QUOTE (lord fido @ Sep 9 2006, 15:35)
I noticed a weird glitch, when a agressive ped crashes his car againts other ped, the agressive ped pulls out a bat/golf club/spade and starts killing ppl. This is normal , but sometimes you can grab his weapon when he dies.
The game intentionally strips you of all melee weapons you'd normally encounter. If there was a way to just prevent them from being armed in the first place, I'd favor that approach. I did what I did in the absence of that.

QUOTE (Bigun @ Sep 9 2006, 16:02)
So run. This game is about challenge. I personally try to take out the helis whenever I can. If this means taking the shotgun ammo I've been plundering since 1 star, that's what I do and it works. On the other hand, if you keep moving, the heli rarely feels positioned well enough (at the lower wanted levels) to open fire. And heven forbid you're hit, compare the damage of one shot vs the 2 blood fountains you could've picked up while running away. Then there's using vehicles/buildings for cover... It adds to the challenge, but NOT in a demoralizing way and that, to me, is intense.

Maybe add the sniper rifle (pickup or whatever, your call). It isnt so strong normally but if you hit the INVISIBLE DRIVER rahkstar2.gif   of police heil with it it goes down with one shot.
I have yet to see this ever happen with a wanted level heli. No offense, but Sniper is amongst the worst weapons to suggest. As it is, you can keep moving with any vehicle in this game. You're suggesting one that not only requires you to become a sitting duck, but takes away your 2nd person perspective, which could rob you of important data like the fact that you're currently M4 food and losing blood fast.

Originally, the game was made to only start as her. Once you possesed somebody else, you were them or whomever else you possessed forever. I thought people would like the demon bitch more, so I changed it so that anytime you retreat, you're able to resume "your true form". I can take that out in the next version. I wanted to have a small assortment of "dark" peds and randomly make you one to start off with. But S&M Millie for example is a SPECIAL actor and therefore not a valid target for 09C7. Anybody come up with a way around that, I'll gladly incorporate that.

I will take that into account for sure. I was trying to avoid having a menu in the first release, but I can think of a few things people might like the ability to turn on/off. Like the slow down. I was thinking of letting people turn that off altogether. Or how about the ability to select which button you'd like to use for selective reload? You can expect to see that for sure.

-Put a little delay on starting slowmo when pressing AIM, because currently that makes you take awhile to draw your weapon which is annoying.
One thing I had thought of that I really wish I would've included is that anytime you have a weapon and press aim, to display a crosshair on the center of the screen immediately. Sometimes I'll be shooting at a heli, hit selective reload, and when I go to re-aim, sometimes the first and even second round miss the heli becasue I can't tell exactly where I'm aiming because with the M4 for example, it takes time to zoom in before putting the crosshair up. My idea I THINK would counter this and would be a great and fair improvement.

Also maybe have a separate button (action? especially if you manage to turn off the stat box[OR just use conversation_no]) for slowmo, so you can sprint in it and stuff?
user posted image Why can't you sprint? Ever since GTA3, I've plotted R as my sprint key. The default is Tab, but that requires you to use the same finger as default strafe left. I prefer to be able to sprint AND strafe left as it adds to mobility. R is a key readily available and to a finger that's not required for up/down/left/right. Anyways, if you're aiming and press sprint, the game foregos your aiming and causes you to sprint. However, the fact that you ARE pressing aim keeps you in slow motion. If you are unable, this is your keyboard. As hokey as that sounds, I actually experimented with that years ago when I was playing Tomb Raider 4 on my mom's PC. There was a part in the training level that required you to push 4 buttons at the same time and it wouldn't accept that level of input. Well I worked at a PC shop, so I tried various OS's, mobo's, etc... turns out how many keys it can transmit at the same time IS a factor of the keyboard sadly.

I hear what you're saying. The game was made so that starting with your first respawn, you can press sprint to bypass it. Suddenly saving seems appealing after all, eh? wink.gif

-Do add flying but limited like blackadder said. The reason is that without being able to drive you're stuck playing the mod in the same part of the desert all the time which gets old and also is a waste considering SA map size.
You're thinking too briefly. For starters, I've been all over the map. Nothing requires you to stay put. Just the amount of blood available in the immediate vicinity makes it VERY tempting to stay put. Especially since you're surrounded by countryside and water, where the peds spawn slowly or in a position that makes them very hard to bleed. BUT this lack of nomadic friendliness makes for great potential of game expansion. What if say, I made it so that you start off in sort of a training mode where you DO have to stay in Las Barrancas until you gather 600 blood. Then make that area appear red nn the radar and run away, to go terrorize a different area. As the game is made right now, just telling you to go from point A to point B would be a challenge. Especially if I was to add some sort of time pressure, like losing blood as time elapses anyways, to force you to kill, gain a wanted level, etc. When you're on foot running, with Rhinos coming after you, you'd be surprise how fast you cover the countryside because you're not focusing on that. In my 3rd set of pics there, I'm inside LV borders.

You also can't make getaways. ph34r.gif
Sure you can. You just have to deal with the fact that you can't use the cover of a vehicle to do it with wink.gif

If you really want to avoid this make flying consume energy/blood. You can use pynthon's Super CJ mod if you want, I don't think he'll have a problem with that.
I prefer to do all my own work. I've been working the Neo series for 3 years now and this is sort of an offshoot of that. Upgrading your character's abilities is the next step, but it will require balance and research. For example, give the player the ability to jump higher, but also add a time limit of source that bleeds you over time, requiring you to kill to stay alive. Even then, time would have to be taken to test a fair boost of jump and fair rate of bleeding.

When I was experimenting with get random car in area, the game had no problem with capturing a car it had already captured. My understanding was that this wasn't supposed to be possible even after removing references to the car, but it happened. So trying to capture the drivers would lead to overloading the array by selecting the same person twice. With the code set up to populate the streets as many as 15 deep, you shouldn't consider yourself having time to be messing with cars beyond hotwiring/blowing them up anyways. I DO wish I could make that work because stripping drivers of weapons and cash woudl streamline the game's visuals better.

Thanks for the compliment, but you're wrong tounge.gif While I might be able to code, I'm generally NOT creative. This game was 99% accident and MOST of it's features were things I stumbled upon or added as an afterthought. One nice thing about it taking so long to develop was that it gave me time to come up with new things. And of course Ben helped with the brainstorming too.

QUOTE (lord fido @ Sep 9 2006, 16:19)
Yeah the demon bitch sucks. I hope for the next version the game starts in a dark alley or something. It just gets boring.
So... make suggestions! Initially, I was going to make the origin random across the entire map. I abandoned the idea after I realized that between random points and get nearest ped path, it was always choosing the same 6 spots it seemed, and sometimes not even putting you on solid ground, so I scrapped the idea. Of course since then, I developed the opening sequence, which would've combatted the speed of solidity of the ground just fine as well as the ped management process, which helps break free from the rigidity of ped paths sometimes. So I could've returned to my random idea, but spawning at a cemetery in a veritable ghost town had already grown on me, so I kept it that way.

I think it really is a waste of all the weapon slots in San Andreas.
Ah, but this isn't SA, is it? This is TFB, where there's onlly 5 weapons slots. In SA, you can't have the Uzi and the MP5 at the same time, so it's not all bad. I really don't know what the fuss is. Once I pick up an M4 that I can move, aim, and shoot with, it's over. That weapon really breaks the game, but in a "hey, you earned this" sort of way. And with the Rhinos running over you and earby cops taking advantage of your lying face flat by capturing you, it doesn't exactly make you immortal in and of itself. Melee will never be in the game. Period. Sniper's a bad idea for the reasons above. Dual wield anything is a deterrent to ammo. I find it odd that you're worried about running out of ammo, but want to waste it. For that matter, the singular pistol is still a weapon you could by itself if you really wanted. How would you like it if I started you off by restricting you just to that for example? I've had times where I had 3 cops after me, so I snipe a nearby driver, circle the car, and then when the cops are near it, hit the gas tank. The current weapons system was highly tested and paves the way for a very sharp UI. So while I'm open to suggestions, I REALLY think the weapons system will not change "for the better". Only change I could see is additional restrictions, causing you to have to accomplish different goals before you can use different weapons.

if you get a pickup the hud just doesnt show and its really weird.
That's because you don't have it. The code is written to strip you of all melee weapons you'd get from cops/road ragers.

QUOTE (Bigun @ Sep 9 2006, 16:31)
Well put and very true. I can think of a million ways to make you god like in the game. But I opted balance for challenge, fun factor, and replayability.

QUOTE (lord fido @ Sep 9 2006, 16:54)
I think Dem was right about this. But the demon bitch and the starting location should be changed, to a gloomier and more like ... gothic place.
Well if you replaced your radar instead of using that floodlight of a radar you're using, it WOULD be gloomier wink.gif As I said before, make some suggestions.

As for the weapons cheat, I could've armored against that. I opted not to because people should have the option if they really want it. All I ask is that people using cheats not post their high scores for comparison. Sepaking of which, how come nobody's sharing theirs?

Squiddy
  • Squiddy

Back!

• The Connection

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:00 AM

Too bad I can't test it (pc from last millenium biggrin.gif ), but from what I can see it looks really impressive. And I love the idea, it sounds like a really nice game. Great job Demarest! smile.gif

Bigun
  • Bigun

wandering about

• Members

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:32 AM Edited by Bigun, 10 September 2006 - 10:43 AM.

I have yet to see this ever happen with a wanted level heli. No offense, but Sniper is amongst the worst weapons to suggest. As it is, you can keep moving with any vehicle in this game. You're suggesting one that not only requires you to become a sitting duck, but takes away your 2nd person perspective, which could rob you of important data like the fact that you're currently M4 food and losing blood fast.

Well, it's possible, so try it, in fact I do it a lot. Only possible with the sniper (apparently). You need the heli to be at an angle to you that you can "see" the driver and shoot around where his head is supposed to be. And the fact its a crap weapon, well, you wanted to keep the challenge didn't you? That's why I suggested this and not the heat seeking RL. tounge.gif

And, well, even if you got to LV, the point it takes time, and it's boring. You can even not kill anybody and just run on foot until you get to a main city and it will take awhile. So you need a quick way to travel (or have different spawn locations).

chaosislife
  • chaosislife

Member title?

• Members

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:03 AM

ok Dem just so you know,I got the saving to work most of the time but strangely enough it only works when I use the console's cheats.I haven't really gotten around to figuring out just which one it is thats changing things however,too busy killing.

As to the question of EXE version i've got a version 1 EXE but the rest of the game is Second Edition.I was thinking that it might be freezing up because the code was referencing a file that simply wasn't there, such as any of 13 or so files that had to do with HC that were removed.However since it does seem to work properly as long as the cheat is on,I'm led to believe that this is more likely a case of hardware realated problems. By everything I've read my computer should not be able to pay San Andreas at all,I'm running a Celeron and the video card is actually part of the motherboard.

lord fido
  • lord fido

Retired gangbanger

• Members

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:18 PM Edited by lord fido, 10 September 2006 - 04:43 PM.

Dem, I had some interesting ideas so i'll share them.
When I played TFB for the first time I noticed that the peds weren't as I expected so I have an idea for the peds you are gonna use:

-Hobos

-Bitches : wfypro , bfypro , demon bitch .

-This cop (i found iton GTAGARAGE/GTA-downloads.CCPD Cop

-Other Peds : Hmost , Hmycr , ofost , omost , wfost ,wfori , bmydrug , bmycr , bmypimp.

Location : Extreme Poverty areas at night. To keep it gloomier yet please make the cars rare to keep it real.
Las Colinas and East Los Santos are exellent places at midnight.

EDIT:

Ok so here's the sinopsis.

In East Los Santos a zone isolated from the rest of the world, where everyday citzens try to keep safe from the ruthless gangs and criminals of the city. You , an ancient spirit , is looking desperate for blood of inocent people, whom are defenseless against every day thieves and crooked cops that want to hunt them down. You must fight yourself across the gheetos and abandoned city through waves of fat, greedy and agressive policemen whos only goal is to hunt you down. Welcome to Los Santos.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:53 PM

I got two different crashes in the game. Log.txt is when I tried to load the game. Log2.txt is when I lost too much blood and floated away.
log.txt log2.txt

lord fido
  • lord fido

Retired gangbanger

• Members

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:14 PM

When I possesed a cop/fat white guy the game crashes.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (lord fido @ Sep 10 2006, 12:14)

You cannot possess a cop in Thirst For Blood. Also, could you size down your images so people visiting the thread can read the page without having to scroll every line?

@space: I click on those links and they look like an odd translation for some of the game code. Can you explain where that's coming from and what it's supposed to mean?

lord fido
  • lord fido

Retired gangbanger

• Members

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (Demarest @ Sep 10 2006, 16:38)
QUOTE (lord fido @ Sep 10 2006, 12:14)

You cannot possess a cop in Thirst For Blood. Also, could you size down your images so people visiting the thread can read the page without having to scroll every line?

@space: I click on those links and they look like an odd translation for some of the game code. Can you explain where that's coming from and what it's supposed to mean?

Cop? I meant the white guy with black shades and with a Tank top. It just crashed.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:30 PM

The game crash when it tried to execute the opcode "get_point_on_actor_plane" and "disable_marker". It's at the bottom of the file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users