Photo

Mission Passers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
117 replies to this topic
Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:10 AM Edited by Justin, 14 December 2007 - 07:21 AM.

Here is the download page.

ATTENTION: Now supports v2 users as well. Though I need a v2 user to confirm this by simply loading up a save. If it loads, it works.

Supported missions:

-Big Smoke (first mission)
-Cesar Vialpando (Sweet's lowrider competition)
-Catalyst
-Robbing Uncle Sam
ALL of Big Smoke's missions
-Life's A Beach
-Management Issues
-Burning Desire
-Gray Imports
-Tanker Commander
-Body Harvest
-Wear Flowers In Your Hair
-Supply Lines
-Back To School
-Photo Opportunity
-Learning To Fly
-N.O.E.
-Stowaway
-Madd Dogg
-Freefall
-Vertical Bird
-End Of The Line (1, 2, and 3)
-BMX
-NRG 500
-Bloodring
-Kickstart
ALL R3 missions.

quartet1977
  • quartet1977

Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:39 AM

thanks for sharing the work in progress! as a helper here, i'm a bit worried that Time Vault SA might put us out of business. can't stand in the way of progress, i suppose. biggrin.gif looking forward to updates if/when you start pursuing this more.

what's timetwister?

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (quartet1977 @ Sep 1 2006, 03:39)
what's timetwister?

thats just a fancy name demarest uses for his useful tools wink.gif

Mission Passers (1.03 MB) - This Code Tool serves as a replacement for the original game's SCM. Those familiar with Time Vault already know how this works. Walk into the starting sphere of any mission that it supports, and you are automaticaly credited as passing the mission, including all storyline progressions that go with it. Becaus I'm human, there's a risk that I've overlooked something that will impact the way the rest of your game progresses. Most anything that could occur this way will be fixable, but it needs to be reported. Right now, it only supports the mission Cesar Vialpando. Active development is not implied.
Rebirth v1 (

wow that will help people alot on these forums nice work Dem icon14.gif

how would the GTA world live without you lol.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Seddo87 @ Sep 1 2006, 04:58)
QUOTE (quartet1977 @ Sep 1 2006, 03:39)
what's timetwister?

thats just a fancy name demarest uses for his useful tools wink.gif

notify.gif Um... no? Code Tools were meant for savegame compatibility. One of my original purposes for Timetwister was to not need to restart or even save... ever. I think you're confused.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:47 AM

Bump. Wanted to ask everybody what the hardest missions are around these parts. I will probably be saving things like the schools and the races for last. Oh, and I've decided that since SA upgraded to automated cutscene management, there's no reason why I can't preserve cutscenes in a mission. That way people passing missions this way can still be up to date with the storyline. Thanks for the input.

HerrieM
  • HerrieM

Don't Panic

• Members

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:57 AM Edited by HerrieM, 06 September 2006 - 09:59 AM.

Most commonly asked are missions like
Freefall
Learning to Fly (flying School)
Supply Lines
Vertical bird
Back to School (driving school, particulary the test "Burn and Lap")
Wu Zi Mu/Farewell my Love
Cesar Vialpando
Life's A Beach

Don't make that TimeVault thingy to fast tounge.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:23 PM

Is this fast enough for you? I've added Life's a Beach, Supply Lines, Freefall, Vertical Bird, Taxi Driver, Paramedic, Firefighter, Vigilante, Burglary, Freight Train, and Pimping. tounge.gif

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:41 PM

nice work Demarest and fast aswell, this will help people alot, also N.O.E is a hard mission aswell. icon14.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:34 AM

As you wish!

File updated. Now supports Back To School, Learning to Fly, and N.O.E.

pdescobar
  • pdescobar

Conformist Scum Panda

• Members

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:08 PM

Some other "priorities" for this would be Madd Dogg and Tanker Commander since those are two of the missions that get rendered impossible by the Peds Riot cheat (I don't remember if there are others.) Stowaway and Wrong Side of the Tracks are fairly often problematic for people too.

San Anzeas
  • San Anzeas

Hitman

• Members

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:26 PM

i think driving school should be added as this is also a mission which gives people problems specially due to burn and lap test.......

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:08 PM

@pdescobar: As you wish!

File updated to now cover OG Loc, Wrong Side Of The Tracks, Tanker Commander, Stowaway, and Madd Dogg. I also fixed an error I made in the last update by NOT including the cutscene for N.O.E. If anybody finds bugs like that or any bugs, let me know. It's all fixable wink.gif

@San Anzeas: Is something about the way I did it the first time malfunctioning?

quartet1977
  • quartet1977

Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:41 PM

we get a lot of requests for End of the Line. is there any way to do that so you pass the two parts seperately? or maybe that's not necessary

Mutha4ka
  • Mutha4ka

Coolest cat in the hizzouse!

• Members

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:32 PM

The only one I had problems with that I don't see on the list is Just Business.
The others, you've got covered - Cesar, Freefal & N.O.E.

I'd help test but I'm trying not to use any form of mods or cheats (apart from human ones wink.gif ) on this play through. Sorry.

Nice work, otherwise. icon14.gif cookie.gif

grove_street_og
  • grove_street_og

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:56 AM

Photo Opportunity isn't hard, but it's sort of boring because you drive a lot to do not very much.

Robbing Uncle Sam was very hard and frustrating for me until I figured out how to manage the forklift.

Flowers in your Hair is sort of boring.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:52 AM

As you wish!

File updated to now support Just Business, Photo Opportunity, Robbing Uncle Sam, Wear Flowers In Your Hair, and End Of The Line.

@m4: Your av, title, name, sig... I like your style. But just so you realize, there's no difference between Mission Passers and SNP. They're both cheats. Just one is less of an effort for you and others wink.gif

@quartet: End Of The Line is a 3 parter, not 2. I thought that if I just left you there after each part, some people might get confused as to what (if anything) just happened since there is no music or message or anything. Still, I tried to satisfy your request by putting CJ away from the mission marker so that the person could choose to take on each section separately. And it worked exactly that way in my test bed. Once it was grafted into original code though and tested on a real save, they strung together without effort. The sniffer thread is most likely responsible. I gave it a once over and couldn't readily figure out how it was doing that. I didn't dig too much into it though because I'm tired and I honestly think it's better that way anyways. But I tried. Credits still play and all that.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:27 AM

Two missions that I find hard are: "Body Harvest"-The one where you have to steal the combine harvester, and the flight school and also the tags are hard, so can you make a code tool for that? By the way Good Job on the code tool for san andreas.

Mutha4ka
  • Mutha4ka

• Members

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:06 AM Edited by Mutha4ka, 10 September 2006 - 10:29 AM.

QUOTE (Demarest @ Sep 9 2006, 10:52)

@m4: Your av, title, name, sig... I like your style. But just so you realize, there's no difference between Mission Passers and SNP. They're both cheats. Just one is less of an effort for you and others wink.gif

Hehe, cheers. colgate.gif
Okay, you talked me into it. biggrin.gif

Well, I have another reason too...
I just beat End of the line after several long-winded attempts and had the game crash just after CJ says "I'm fittin' to hit the streets." user posted image

[edit] Aww, the link's timing out for me. I'm just not having the luck today. sigh.gif
Aha. Link works now. Downloading. icon14.gif
Btw. Although I'd love to take credit for my av & sig, they're not my work. blush.gif
If the av tickles you like it did me though, check out the rest of the Record Store Cats. lol.gif

justinismyname
  • justinismyname

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:18 AM

Sorry for being a noob, but is this game restricted to v1 or v2? sorry but the read me file you have doesn't realy finish the sentence so i'm slightly unsure. thanks.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:20 AM Edited by Demarest, 10 September 2006 - 10:22 AM.

QUOTE (radioman @ Sep 10 2006, 03:27)
the flight school and also the tags are hard, so can you make a code tool for that?

You'll have to tell me how the ones I've already made fall short confused.gif Learning To Fly is on the list and Pillager is linked in my sig.

I'll put Body Harvest on the to do list though.

Mission Passers is for v1 at this moment. If somebody wants to send me the v2 SCM, conversion should be easy enough.

Mutha4ka
  • Mutha4ka

• Members

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:48 AM Edited by Mutha4ka, 10 September 2006 - 10:54 AM.

Hmm. I only have a main.sc in my data folder.
I have a main.scm in data/scripts. Is this the one to overwrite or is there perhaps a fundamental difference in the UK and US versions?

Here's my main.sc, in case it's of any use to you for the sake of comparison -
http://s1.upload.sc/...0fc1451e1/owner

[edit] Ah. No worries. Seems to be working. Watching the movies now.
Thanks Dem, you da man. icon14.gif

Mutha4ka
  • Mutha4ka

• Members

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:15 AM Edited by Mutha4ka, 10 September 2006 - 12:18 PM.

Okay, just as a quick follow-up by way of bug-testing contribution;
I notice that I only have 120 rounds left in my SMGs, where previously I had 1700.

I understand that this may be in the interest of authenticity but thought it best to mention, in case it's an oversight and may cause a problem for the game if a player has less than 1500 rounds or whatever.

If it's intentional then don't mind me. Just tryin' to help a playa out. smile.gif

[edit] Ah no, I see what's happened. It's switched my Tec-9s for Micro SMGs, so it's defaulted back to a standard clip size. Might want to look at that...

-/TNT\-
  • -/TNT\-

not like any other rainbow.

• Members

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:24 AM

Dem, you shouldn't ask which missions are difficult and which are not. Everybody has a different style and approach things differently. On some of the easiest missions where you had to take back the hoods when Sweet was out of prison I kept losing just because some idiot ped were getting scared and were running CJ's bro over, while other missions like Vertical Bird are just difficult because the setting is different from the usual missions. Personally I think you should make the mission passer available for all missions, even the Big Smoke and Sweet and Kendl ones (if you wan't to test the new stuff a scm has like PLPyntons blow me away mod it is boring having to escape the Ballas again and again)

PS: When I play SA I have 4 programs running alongside it. Pizzadox for the unlimited sprint, health, ammo, oxygen etc. , a car spawner, the teleporter and the CamHack (cuz when I play 1280x1024 CJ gains a few inches and loses some pounds tounge.gif ). With the first three progs you can pass most of the missions easily, as well as test modified cars without scanning the city for them dozingoff.gif .

Keep the mods coming

-/TNT\-

Mutha4ka
  • Mutha4ka

• Members

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (-/TNT\- @ Sep 10 2006, 11:24)
Dem, you shouldn't ask which missions are difficult and which are not. Everybody has a different style and approach things differently. On some of the easiest missions where you had to take back the hoods when Sweet was out of prison I kept losing just because some idiot ped were getting scared and were running CJ's bro over, while other missions like Vertical Bird are just difficult because the setting is different from the usual missions. Personally I think you should make the mission passer available for all missions, even the Big Smoke and Sweet and Kendl ones (if you wan't to test the new stuff a scm has like PLPyntons blow me away mod it is boring having to escape the Ballas again and again)

I think he's probably working towards doing them all but just doing them in order of most requested so that more people can get on with their games.

Fwiw, it's easy enough to just use this file to pass a mission, then save and exit the game, enabling you to reinsert your original main.scm to carry on with the rest of the game as normal, in case anyone was wondering.
Otherwise, you won't get to play any of the missions that it supports - you'll just be skipping them all, so don't forget to back up your original file. icon14.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (Mutha4ka @ Sep 10 2006, 06:48)
I have a main.scm in data/scripts. Is this the one to overwrite or is there perhaps a fundamental difference in the UK and US versions?

Not sure where you got those instructions... which is a good thing because I came to realize that I apparently skipped instructions. The readme has been updated to include that. So thanks for bringing that to my attention. If I did at any point say just the /data/ folder, it's out of habit as that's where GTA3 and VC kept theirs. It wasn't until SA that there was a /script/ folder.

QUOTE (Mutha4ka @ Sep 10 2006, 07:15)
I notice that I only have 120 rounds left in my SMGs, where previously I had 1700.

I understand that this may be in the interest of authenticity but thought it best to mention, in case it's an oversight and may cause a problem for the game if a player has less than 1500 rounds or whatever.

If it's intentional then don't mind me. Just tryin' to help a playa out. smile.gif

[edit] Ah no, I  see what's happened. It's switched my Tec-9s for Micro SMGs, so it's defaulted back to a standard clip size. Might want to look at that...

CODE
01B2: give_actor $PLAYER_ACTOR weapon  28 ammo  120
That's part of the original game code, so ANYBODY beating End Of The Line (3) will be left with an Uzi and 120 rounds. If you think that has to do with Mission Passers, I think you misunderstand how it's made. I'm still human, so it will be possible to forget things. But I don't actively ADD anything, so you'll never have to worry about things being changed. Not looking to rewrite the game, just help unstick people wink.gif

QUOTE (-/TNT\- @ Sep 10 2006, 07:24)
Dem, you shouldn't ask which missions are difficult and which are not. Everybody has a different style and approach things differently.
In Vice City, do you know what the hardest mission is? Dildo Dodo. I can tell you the next 2 or 3 as well. Just as I can tell you the most commonly missed UJ is 18 with 24 as a strong second. This has nothing to do with style, it has to do with statistics. SNP was originally intended to help me gather VC experience so that I'd be more qualified to release a Timetwister for it. Yes, it helps people, but it also had nifty side effect of correlating statistics on what people found most challenging. Not all the requests have been for toughies though. There've been a few simply because they were boring. And they've all been filled.

Personally I think you should make the mission passer available for all missions, even the Big Smoke and Sweet and Kendl ones (if you wan't to test the new stuff a scm has like PLPyntons blow me away mod it is boring having to escape the Ballas again and again)
You know, a simple "Big Smoke please" would've sufficed. Think you're the only person that hates having to sit through that every time? Especially when you consider it's not one of those missions where you can warp here, shoot this, warp there, etc.

To set out to make any mod that essentially rewrites the entire game is a BIG project. Meanwhile, I've got Timetwister SA underway, I've released 5 mods in the last week, etc... Maybe it's easier for me on my way to a full blown Time Vault to do a few missions at a time, eh? It's not like I've let any request go unanswered. And you know what? No sooner than I did NOE and Freefall for example, I watched a run on those same missions. So those who requested them did well in pointing out those that are statistically frequently asked for.

On a side note, when you're just fixing to test a script mod out, using a stripped SCM will save you tons of time wink.gif

PS: When I play SA I have 4 programs running alongside it. Pizzadox for the unlimited sprint, health, ammo, oxygen etc. , a car spawner, the teleporter and the CamHack (cuz when I play 1280x1024 CJ gains a few inches and loses some pounds tounge.gif ). With the first three progs you can pass most of the missions easily, as well as test modified cars without scanning the city for them dozingoff.gif .
Half of that can be done with a few lines in the above mentioned stripped SCM wink.gif I'm a developer, so when it comes to tricks on how to get to things fastest, I'm pretty experienced. Feel free to PM me for more tips.

Mutha4ka
  • Mutha4ka

• Members

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (Demarest @ Sep 10 2006, 12:40)
QUOTE (Mutha4ka @ Sep 10 2006, 06:48)

Not sure where you got those instructions... which is a good thing because I came to realize that I apparently skipped instructions. The readme has been updated to include that. So thanks for bringing that to my attention. If I did at any point say just the /data/ folder, it's out of habit as that's where GTA3 and VC kept theirs. It wasn't until SA that there was a /script/ folder.

Well, I checked the readme and as you say, there weren't any instructions, so I checked the page linked in the OP.
Backup your /data/main.scm by renaming it to something like mainORIGINAL.scm. Now put the SCM file from the Tool's ZIP into your data folder and rename it to main.scm like the original was.

Hope that helps. icon14.gif

QUOTE (Demarest @ Sep 10 2006, 12:40)

QUOTE (Mutha4ka @ Sep 10 2006, 07:15)

[edit] Ah no, I  see what's happened. It's switched my Tec-9s for Micro SMGs, so it's defaulted back to a standard clip size. Might want to look at that...

CODE
01B2: give_actor $PLAYER_ACTOR weapon  28 ammo  120
That's part of the original game code, so ANYBODY beating End Of The Line (3) will be left with an Uzi and 120 rounds. If you think that has to do with Mission Passers, I think you misunderstand how it's made. I'm still human, so it will be possible to forget things. But I don't actively ADD anything, so you'll never have to worry about things being changed. Not looking to rewrite the game, just help unstick people wink.gif

I know next to diddly about how Mission Passers works, hence my mistake. blush.gif Like you, I'm just trying to help. smile.gif
I know how easy it is to overlook something and just happened to notice this small thing, so I thought to point it out. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the game crashed out on me when I completed it properly, so all I had to compare against was my pre-mission save.

Thanks again for this. It's helped me out, fo' sho'. cool.gif cookie.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (Mutha4ka @ Sep 10 2006, 09:06)
Hope that helps. icon14.gif

Indeed. user posted image Fixed now. Thanks.

Yeah, there's not many missions that alter your ammo. That just happens to be one of them.

quartet1977
  • quartet1977

Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:26 PM Edited by quartet1977, 10 September 2006 - 02:38 PM.

i had no idea there were three parts to EotL. thought it was just two. well, you learn something new every day, right? thanks for filling me in!

you can find the version 2 main.scm & script.img here.

Backup your /data/main.scm by renaming it to something like mainORIGINAL.scm. Now put the SCM file from the Tool's ZIP into your data folder and rename it to main.scm like the original was.

a quick suggestion: rather than renaming your main.scm file, simply create 2 directories in your script directory. name one 'original main.scm' and the other 'time passers main.scm' or something similar and place copies of each main.scm in the proper folder. then simply copy and paste whenever you need to swap. that way you don't have to keep renaming files, which could be a pain if you use mission passers a lot. doing it this way also helps make sure you have a copy of the original safely stored away. perhaps someone will write a quick script change program like rubregg's that will work for mission passers.

-/TNT\-
  • -/TNT\-

not like any other rainbow.

• Members

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:39 PM

Hey, Dem, I didn't mean to piss you off. If it seemed like that I do apologize. I didn't know the mass of stuff you had to do to make the mission passers. I sure respect the things you have offered the GTA community.

So as not to fall out of old traditions a questions is added biggrin.gif : Why is everything stretched skywards a bit when I play with 1280x1024?

Hope everything is straight

-/TNT\-

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:38 PM Edited by Demarest, 10 September 2006 - 04:29 PM.

QUOTE (quartet1977 @ Sep 10 2006, 10:26)
you can find the version 2 main.scm & script.img here.
Hey, thanks for that. I'm not sure how necessary the script.img is, but that's the point: I don't actually know. Any links to where the differences are discussed? From what I've gathered thus far, the main.scm is just 4 lines off. I'll have to look into it.

QUOTE (quartet1977 @ Sep 10 2006, 10:26)
a quick suggestion: rather than renaming your main.scm file, simply create 2 directories in your script directory. name one 'original main.scm' and the other 'time passers main.scm' or something similar and place copies of each main.scm in the proper folder. then simply copy and paste whenever you need to swap. that way you don't have to keep renaming files, which could be a pain if you use mission passers a lot. doing it this way also helps make sure you have a copy of the original safely stored away. perhaps someone will write a quick script change program like rubregg's that will work for mission passers.
Hey, you are preaching to the choir. Back in the day when Misison Passers was thought to be needed as one file per mission, I released them with batch files that would actually do all the renaming for you. You'd be surprised how much that step meant to help people and actually ended up estranging people. So I'll leave file management to the end user and just provide instructions with strong urges to backup.

QUOTE (-/TNT\- @ Sep 10 2006, 10:39)
Hey, Dem, I didn't mean to piss you off.
Piss me off? Hardly. I just thought it was pretty clear that the aim of this project was to develop to a full blown Time Vault.

I didn't know the mass of stuff you had to do to make the mission passers.
In all honesty, there's not THAT much to do. For missions like Yay Ka-Boom-Boom, you have to be sure not to forget to include stuff like the blown up factory. Otherwise, it's mostly pruning the bulk of the mission code and leaving that which represents the cutscenes (SA), the various behind the scenes items required for the story to progress, and any/all necessary cleanup. While it's not the hardest of things (in MOST missions), it's still the fact that there are so many missions. Then because I have a reputation for quality work, I load it up in a test bed and test it in game. Then before re-release, I'll load up saves from those points in the game and test them "in real life". Again, not hard, just time consuming. Doing it a little bit at a time helps keep it rolling.

So as not to fall out of old traditions a questions is added biggrin.gif : Why is everything stretched skywards a bit when I play with 1280x1024?
Not exactly a Mission Passers question, eh? But the answer is simple math. MOST resolutions are 4:3 and 1280x1024 is 5:4. Hence the apparent distortion.

[EDIT]
Okay, now the download comes with a main.scm and readme.txt like before, but it ALSO has a folder explicitly saying v2 users only. That's my proposed Mission Passers for v2 users. As I do not have v2, I cannot test this myself and need somebody to test it for me. To test, you only need to load a save. If it loads a save, it works, though you're more than welcome to try passing a mission for free if it suits you. Nothing says you have to save. Meanwhile, if you are a v2 user, please check in. Thank you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users