Photo

Modem link multiplayer

2 replies to this topic
sgolaev
  • sgolaev

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:46 AM

I have two computers and a phone cable. Is it possible to play network gta2 using phone cable? Why does is ask for phone number?

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:12 AM

A phone cable? How were you planning to connect both computers? If you were using two modems, it probably won't work because most modems require voltage on the line and you wouldn't get that with a direct link.

You can use a null modem serial cable but no one uses those anymore. Just get two network cards and a crossover cable.

mibars
  • mibars

GTA2 Mapmaker

• Members

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:13 PM

I heared that conecting 2 computers in this way may cause some damage to modems confused.gif

"modem" connection was used years ago, when first modem simply called number of your friends telephone, and he had to "pick" it using his modem instead of telephone.

The good thing was that only one person had to pay for a call (because it was realised as a call, but instead of you modems were "talking"), but on the other hand if it was intercity or international biggrin.gif the bill would be very high biggrin.gif

(btw, my friend has found some very interesting method of sharing internet using this technique - He has high speed DSL, and his girlfriend hasn't got any internet. He has also "free evenings and weekends" on his phone. At evenings and weekends he simply calls to her, she answers with modem, and then he switches his modem on and yey - internet shared! smile.gif )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users