• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic
crazyanurag
  • crazyanurag

okthxbai

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

Video Guides - Alternative Strategiesby crazyanurag

when i went through SA for the first time, it took me close to four harrowing months to complete the game, not only because some of the missions were hard at first, but also because i was (and i believe i still am) a poor, but principled gamer, who wouldn't cheat to detract from the fun of getting missions done...however, i always wondered how i could use the open-ended nature of a game like SA to my advantage in making some of the missions less taxing, and being a helper at Mission Help for the last 6 months helped in testing out several different strategies, which i intended to put up as video-tutorials...

unfortunately, i couldn't get Fraps to record at a decent frame-rate to save my life, and in between getting into graduate school and saving up to upgrade my PC (so that some actual recording was possible), it was already August...i understand that SA has been out now for more than a year for the PC, and even longer for the PS2, but i still feel that the following videos have something innovative and different to offer, and add in one or more ways to the already existing and excellent guides at GTAF...though they may not be able to help a whole lot of people, i think first-time players will find these useful, and even experienced players can try these out as alternative strategies and time-savers (sometimes)...

each video has been uploaded to Google Video (for streaming) and to RapidShare (for direct download)...it is possble to download the videos from Google as well, but it'll prob'ly require Google's own media player for playback, and initial testing suggests that it isn't always reliable...the streaming videos also seem to compromise a bit on quality, whereas the direct downloads should play like the game itself, only at half-resolution...i've recorded all the videos with the original GTASA for PC, with V1 scripts, using Fraps 2.7.4...no modifications or cheats/trainers were used while making these...if it matters, my specs are as follows:
    System Specs:
    • 1.79 Ghz AMD Athlon64 3000+
    • 1 GB RAM
    • ATI Radeon Xpress200 128 MB (shared)
    • 80 GB HDD
    • 16x DVD-ROM
    In-Game Specs:
    • Frame Limiter: Off
    • Mip Mapping: On
    • Anti-Aliasing: Off
    • Draw Distance: Medium
    • Visual FX Quality: Low
    • Resolution: 1200x1024x32
    • Control Scheme: i alternate between Mouse+Keyboard and Joypad settings, though i don't use a gamepad

i can understand that due to the difference in system specs, the game may not play the same as in the videos for all systems...if the game runs poorly, try updating the graphics and sound card drivers, and try playing at the minimum possible in-game settings (Frame Limter, Anti-Aliasing, Mip Mapping off, minimal Draw Distance, Visual FX Quality at Low, and Resolution at 640x480x16)...if these simple steps don't solve the problem, have a look at (and maybe make a topic in) SA Troubleshooting

Issues:
    • minor sound corruption in the videos which seems to crop up now and then
    • a very noticeable sound hiccup in "Wrong Side of the Tracks" where CJ seems to say "f*ck-f*ck" instead of "f*cked up"
    • noticeable slowdown during "Freefall" when moving through clouds
    • CJ turns from Superman to X-Man during the plane transfer in "Freefall"
    • some sync issues in the cutscene for "Cut Throat Business"

enough with the technicalities...here are the video-guides...

OG Loc

user posted image
View at Google Video (6:05)
Download from RapidShare (39.03 MB)

Prerequisites:
    • Sniper Rifle
    • AK-47/M4(optional)

doing it this way makes going after Freddy less of a chase, and more of a wait...i did the mission with 0% Bike Skill, so people who have problems with controlling the PCJ-600 with Loc on the back can try my method to make the chase a lot less taxing...while waiting, it might even help to get off the bike and wait for Freedy to come by and pump some bullets into him with an assault rifle, which makes the driving part even shorter...make sure to follow the in-game map carefully, to see how you can use Freddy's and CJ's relative positions to advantage...

Wrong Side of the Tracks

user posted image
View at Google Video (2:38)
Download from RapidShare (17.07 MB)

Prerequisites:
    • AK-47/M4 with 200 or more rounds of ammo
    • Body Armour

following this method, you wouldn't have to rely on Big Smoke's pathetic shooting skills, and be done with the mission a lot quicker...i did this with less than 10% Bike Skill, so the first part shouldn't be too much of a problem...once on the train, be sure to make quick work of the Vagos, because CJ won't be able to get through the first overpass that the train goes under...crouching helps in getting a better shot, though what i found in this mission is that headshots and bodyshots are almost the same, so don't waste valuable time in aiming for their heads...i used the M4 (lesser reloads as opposed to the AK) with 0% Weapon Skill, but it doesn't hurt to train it up to Gangster/Hitman...

N.O.E.

user posted image
View at Google Video (6:34)
Download from RapidShare (41.40 MB)

Prerequisites: None

the video suggests a different route to ones normally followed (as in YeTi's Guide, and Plaka's video)...this route is, in fact, quite clear, with almost no trees no manoeuvre around...i'm sure it must've been done before, but i can't recall having seen it at GTAF...it takes about 2 minutes more than going the direct route, but offers a good choice to novice pilots...when coming back to land, make sure to lower the landing gear, and let go of the throttle to ease into the landing from a distance...

Misappropriation

user posted image
View at Google Video (1:02)
Download from RapidShare (6.78 MB)

Prerequisites:
    • SMG with 10 (yes, 10) or more rounds of ammo

carefully study the in-game map and the location broadcasts to know where exactly you need to park the car...once that's done, this is pretty much a swift kill-and-grab, so to say, since it takes about half a minute to pull off the job...this lets the player do without the helicopter chase, or having to go "Rambo" in order to run through all the agents...it helps to use the lock-on feature during the mission...i prefer the SMG since CJ can run with it, but one can also have CJ run to the agent, switch to an assault rifle, and then switch back to Fists/Brass Knuckles to run out again...

Freefall

user posted image
View at Google Video (6:53)
Download from RapidShare (38.99 MB)

Prerequisites:
    • Body Armour

again, follow the in-game map to see how to approach and then follow the Shamal...my strategy here involves gaining a lot of altitude and then diving down towards the hitmen's plane...notice that i have the throttle pressed all the time, and till before turning, i make no adjustments in altitude...when close to the Shamal, make directional adjustments with the rudder, and not by banking...the rest shouldn't be a problem, but remember that headshots do a lot more damage than bodyshots...having the 9mm Pistol trained to Hitman helps during the gunfight, though i had only a Poor rating when doing this...

High Noon

user posted image
View at Google Video (1:08)
Download from RapidShare (6 MB)

Prerequisites:
    • Minigun, with 500 or more rounds of ammo

another half-a-minute mission...just make sure to aim carefully at the Buffalo, and there's no need for the chase...if Pulaski gets a little farther away than in the video, and the car becomes harder to see, make sure to aim just below the red arrow, and this should work without a problem...

Cut Throat Business

user posted image
View at Google Video (6:43)
Download from RapidShare (42.62 MB)

Prerequisites: None

this chase isn't too much of a problem, but it can be made a lot easier by following the routes suggested in the video...unfortunately, i couldn't find an alternative to the jump in the Vortex, so if that's the cause of problems, go give the "Flying Fish" test in Boat School a good try...as always, follow the in-game map to see where you can take alternative routes/shortcuts...if the Kart seems too sensitive, try tapping the directional controls, and letting go of the accelerator when turning...

that's all for now...i'll most prob'ly add a few more missions and instructional videos to this list, perhaps in the next month...thanks for reading, and most of all for viewing...any suggestions, corrections, ideas, criticism, comments etc. are encouraged...if any further explanation or elaboration is required, i'll be more than happy to provide the same...i hope these videos have helped, either in passing a mission, or in having a new way of trying them...

Acknowledgements
  • JAJ: thanks for all the help in testing, verifying, for all your support and encouragement, and most of all for putting up with me
  • Plaka: thanks for taking time out to check some of the videos, and on your suggestions for improvements...mostly though, thanks for taking such good care of us
  • gillies: thanks mate, for helping with the testing, for the vote of confidence, and for being ever-ready with whatever help i asked of you...MH sorely misses your presence
  • thanks, most of all, to the helpers who keep SA Mission Help ticking (and who'll most likely find these videos passe)...guys, you do a great job everyday, so keep that up

Resources: GTAForums' Mission Guides | Plaka's GTASA | Fraps | GTAF Mission Tips | SAM | RapidShare | Google Video

You'll Never Walk Alone

JAJ
  • JAJ

-Hitdog-

• Members

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:47 PM

Glad to see that you posted it! Really turned out great, FIRST CLASS! Looks good & it will help a lot of gamers! It was my pleasure to help in any way.
icon14.gif smile.gif

gillies
  • gillies

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:48 PM

Great work crazyanurag.

Plaka
  • Plaka

King Of San Andreas

• Members

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:50 PM

Great work crazyanurag icon14.gif cookie.gif

crazyanurag
  • crazyanurag

okthxbai

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:08 PM

thanks guys...i'm glad i was finally able to get it done...and Plaka, thanks for the cookie biggrin.gif ...

You'll Never Walk Alone

quartet1977
  • quartet1977

Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:11 PM

nice work, anurag. i'm looking forward to downloading and viewing your videos. but i'm a little worried that these videos might put us helpers out of business! lol.gif again, great job. you'll make a lot of frustrated gamers quite happy.

crazyanurag
  • crazyanurag

okthxbai

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (quartet1977 @ Aug 26 2006, 00:41)
nice work, anurag. i'm looking forward to downloading and viewing your videos. but i'm a little worried that these videos might put us helpers out of business! lol.gif again, great job. you'll make a lot of frustrated gamers quite happy.

lol.gif thanks matt...do let me know how you liked them...it'll be great if even the helpers find these useful...

You'll Never Walk Alone

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

nice work crazyanurag, nice work.

topic rated good icon14.gif

crazyanurag
  • crazyanurag

okthxbai

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (Seddo87 @ Aug 26 2006, 02:01)
nice work crazyanurag, nice work.
thanks, mate...hope you like them...

QUOTE (continued)
topic rated good  icon14.gif
double thanks! colgate.gif

You'll Never Walk Alone

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:19 AM

Great job, mate. icon14.gif
Well, you seem to be at your peak!!!
Keep going...... cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

San Anzeas
  • San Anzeas

Hitman

• Members

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:33 AM

Keep up the good work!!!! cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

crazyanurag
  • crazyanurag

okthxbai

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:07 AM

@girishb_86 and San Anzeas: thanks for your kind comments and the cookies smile.gif ...

if anyone has any queries, please don't hesitate to ask them in this topic...i'll get back to you as soon as i can...thanks, again, to everyone for their support...

You'll Never Walk Alone

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:00 PM

i didnt realise how easy those missions could be, instead of doing them the normal quite hard away, especiallyMisappropriation. Did you find pout all those alternate stratagies out yourself or someone helped you find them icon14.gif

crazyanurag
  • crazyanurag

okthxbai

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (Seddo87 @ Aug 26 2006, 23:30)
i didnt realise how easy those missions could be, instead of doing them the normal quite hard away, especiallyMisappropriation. Did you find pout all those alternate stratagies out yourself or someone helped you find them icon14.gif

yeah, doing "Misappropriation" can be a breeze this way...

about the strategies...well, some of them i worked out on my own, and others are available throughout the internet, with no particular individual to credit...the "Freefall" video is a pretty standard way of doing the mission, and though i discovered the route for "N.O.E." on my own, i'm sure i saw the map of a similar route somewhere..."Wrong Side of the Tracks" was inspired by a walkthrough i used and contributed to (Glenster's guide at GameFAQs)...

You'll Never Walk Alone

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (crazyanurag @ Aug 26 2006, 21:32)
QUOTE (Seddo87 @ Aug 26 2006, 23:30)
i didnt realise how easy those missions could be, instead of doing them the normal quite hard away, especiallyMisappropriation. Did you find pout all those alternate stratagies out yourself or someone helped you find them  icon14.gif

yeah, doing "Misappropriation" can be a breeze this way...

about the strategies...well, some of them i worked out on my own, and others are available throughout the internet, with no particular individual to credit...the "Freefall" video is a pretty standard way of doing the mission, and though i discovered the route for "N.O.E." on my own, i'm sure i saw the map of a similar route somewhere..."Wrong Side of the Tracks" was inspired by a walkthrough i used and contributed to (Glenster's guide at GameFAQs)...

You'll Never Walk Alone

Ok cool icon14.gif and once again nice work

JAJ
  • JAJ

-Hitdog-

• Members

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:15 AM

BUMP
This is too good to fall onto the second page.
Maybe it could be moved into the topic 'Pinned: GTAForum's Mission Guide'?

HerrieM
  • HerrieM

Don't Panic

• Members

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:55 AM

GREAT videos.

I don't need most of these alternatives, and some I already know. But these videos help explaining it to other people on a different forums.
I must try the very easy way of doing "Misappropriation". That would make the mission so much shorter.

I'm just not sure that "Freefall" is easier this way, than for instance Plaka's method.

cookie.gif cookie.gif (you deserve them)

crazyanurag
  • crazyanurag

okthxbai

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:08 AM

@Seddo: thanks again, mate...good to know that you've found these useful...

@JAJ: thanks for the bump tounge2.gif ...

QUOTE (HerrieM)
GREAT videos.

I don't need most of these alternatives, and some I already know. But these videos help explaining it to other people on a different forums.
I must try the very easy way of doing "Misappropriation". That would make the mission so much shorter.

I'm just not sure that "Freefall" is easier this way, than for instance Plaka's method.

cookie.gif  cookie.gif  (you deserve them)
thanks mate...even more so for the cookies...the way i went with the "Freefall" video was for those who can't fly very well...if you notice, Plaka's method involves keeping relatively the same altitude as the Shamal, which would require frequent corrections when approaching it...i thought novice pilots might find that problematic...

thanks for your input, and for watching...

You'll Never Walk Alone

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:17 PM

i agree with JAJ that this needs moving to the pinned topic or even Pin this topic, to stop it from falling down the page.

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:45 PM

Great videos mate. Some of the stuff I knew & some was new (Misappropriation, what a laugh).

cookie.gif cookie.gif

Should definitely be pinned - or merged with the "Mission Guide - Includes Video Tutorials" thread.

BrainToad
  • BrainToad

The Man in Black

• Members

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:37 AM

Really nice videos. I did the OG Loc mission a similar way when I failed the first time, except I stayed on the bike right next to where he comes up the bridge, and just filled his bike full of MG lead.

I did Misapproiation that way without even thinking, I never knew there was a helicopter chase until I screwed up the other day. I also suggest if you have a good amount of minigun ammo, or a rocket launcher, you can let the guy get in his chopper, then blast it while taking off.

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:07 PM

A nice Friendly Bump lol.gif

this doesnt deserve to slip down the page.

Personified_Evil
  • Personified_Evil

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:02 PM

hiya...great work...but the wrong side of the track video has been deleted because of date expiring without download...so can anyone pls upload this one to oxyshare or depositfiles...here are the links where u can go to the upload pages..

CODE
www.depositfiles.com
www.oxyshare.com

Note:- I am very much sorry if advertising is prohibited! i cant waste tim reading the rules because i am having trouble viewing this forum....everytime sum error occurs to me..and this forum is the only hope for me finishing the gta san andreas game...

and abt the google video, i am having trouble viewing this thing properly.. how to make it buffer without interruption so i can watch it when it is fully buffered...thx for ur help!! i really appreciate it!

crazyanurag
  • crazyanurag

okthxbai

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:35 AM

@JAJ, Seddo87 and rubregg: thanks for your support guys...AJ added the link to this topic in his Mission Guides topic, so i guess i have all of you to be thnakful to smile.gif

thanks to AJ for adding the guide, too wink.gif ...

@Braintoad: thanks for your comments...i'm glad you found the topic useful...

@Personified_Evil: thanks for your comments, and i'm sorry that the download didn't work out for you...i've had a bit of a problem with RapidShare, which i'm still trying to work out...atm, only "N.O.E" has a working direct-download link, but i think i'll be able to get all of the others started by the weekend too...i'll send you a PM once that's done...if you're having problems with Google's streaming videos, you can try downloading the videos from Google, but you'd prob'ly need Google's own player for viewing them...

thanks again to everyone who's been through the topic...

You'll Never Walk Alone

jrbabbitt
  • jrbabbitt

Visually Challenged

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:55 AM

im sorry to report that none of the videos are posted, what happened?

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:23 AM

I would guess that after nearly SEVEN years the llinks were disabled.
Try YouTube.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users