Photo

Bully Details Finally Released

24 replies to this topic
Jordan
  • Jordan

Boss

• Members

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:27 AM

14 minutes ago from the time I posted this, Rockstar gave Reuters the first real concrete details on the upcoming game Bully.

http://today.reuters...pc=66&type=qcna

LOS ANGELES, Aug 9 (Reuters) - Rockstar, the maker of best-selling video game series "Grant Theft Auto" said on Wednesday it would launch in October "Bully", a game with themes of school fighting that has anti-violence critics up in arms.

The game's main character is 15-year-old Jimmy Hopkins, who must defend himself against school bullies at a fictional U.S. boarding school called Bullworth Academy, while dealing with characters ranging from nerds and jocks to authoritarian prefects.

Weapons included baseball bats that break after several blows, stink bombs and bags of marbles that when strategically thrown will lay flat most pursuers.

"Finally 'Bully' can speak for itself. People can look at the game and see what it is and what it's not," company spokesman Rodney Walker said.

In March, Florida's Miami-Dade County School Board called on retailers not to sell the game to minors and required the school district to warn parents about potentially harmful effects of playing violent video games.

In a recent demonstration of "Bully", which Rockstar said has not yet been rated, the fighting scenes did not include blood or result in the death of characters.

"We think the school environment is a universal experience that so many people relate to," said Walker, who added that criticism of "Bully" is unique in that it had preceded the release of the game, which has been kept under tight wraps.

Controversial games are nothing new at Rockstar, a unit of Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (TTWO.O: Quote, Profile, Research), which is the developer of the best-selling urban action game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas".

That game -- in which the main character robs and kills his way across a mythical U.S. state called San Andreas to save his family and take control of the streets -- got caught in a scandal over an explicit sex scene known as "hot coffee," which could be unlocked with a downloaded file.

No guns or knives or truly lethal weapons...no controversy.

Hell No..
  • Hell No..

Dad.

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:49 AM

Its about damn time too. Thanks for that. Roll on the release date!

eyeswideshut
  • eyeswideshut

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:52 AM

why always mention hot coffee, damn politics. Game sounds good.

Runestoner
  • Runestoner

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:15 AM

Yeah, agreed. What does hot coffee have to do with this game, other than rahkstar2.gif ?

I'll rent it to test it out and then decide whether to buy or not.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:46 AM

Bah too bad it will get banned here in Australia, much like Marc Ecko and his graffiti although the funny thing is some stores still sell it even though it was refused clasification. Nice to finally hear something concrete about Bully though.

Platinum.
  • Platinum.

El Dinamita

• Zaibatsu

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:49 AM

Been looking forward to the release of this, although I was looking for it to be a bit more brutal. Even if the bullies don't die, it would have been cool if they had bled a little bit, even if just in a comical way.

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:00 AM

Oh good, this is great news. About due time too. Can't wait. cool.gif

Bah too bad it will get banned here in Australia, much like Marc Ecko and his graffiti although the funny thing is some stores still sell it even though it was refused classification. Nice to finally hear something concrete about Bully though.

After the crap that went on with GTA3, VC and SA i would not be at all surprised if it was not deemed appropriate for us Aussies. Stupid rating system. Though after how stupid they've been before the will properly release it then take it off the shelves. In that case, we better get it fast turn.gif .

Vanillainy
  • Vanillainy

Fancy Clown.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:43 AM

yay, so it is going to happen. This game is going to rock.

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (FunkyChunky @ Aug 9 2006, 20:43)
yay, so it is going to happen. This game is going to rock.

Sure will mate icon14.gif . Once again Rockstar have created an original game that everyone knows will do well and be very popular. I can't wait to play. Hopefully a games magazine will report on the final features soon. Since VCS has already been covered, I'm sure the will do the same for Bully in the coming weeks. I guess i need to make sure i have plenty of money every year for October, seams to be Rockstars chosen month for releasing new games. icon14.gif .

Waddy
  • Waddy

Gods foster son.

• None

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:38 AM

Ill take a look at this watered down version of the game.
Its getting quite pathetic the extremes gaming companys have to go to. Politics play so much in ruining our fun.
Next football games will be made without the tackle feature.

When Bully was first announced there was so much more you could do, and that would have been superb. Now I doubt its gona be anything like... mad.gif

Dup
  • Dup

Retired Lurker

• Zaibatsu

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:02 PM

Waddys just pissy becasue they modelled he main character on him. Big meanie!

Sadly, knee-capping other students isn't good form in the modern playground.

they should just make it into a Zombie game so ultimate child molesting violence can be undertaken.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:29 PM

Yay, I hope it's not banned or watered down here sad.gif God, they say ignorance is bliss, but ignorance is ruining my harmless fun!
[size=-5]Although, that's in a different way, methinks.[/me]

Kippers
  • Kippers

皆こんいちわ

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 August 2006 - 12:06 AM

New details make the game sound like it could be real fun icon14.gif Shame how there's no blood, but blood doesn't need to be included to make a good game.

I guess this will be released as a 15 in the UK then?

Raindancer
  • Raindancer

Beer monster

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:01 PM

This game sounds like a 2006 version of the old Spectrum 'Skool Dayz' & 'Bak 2 skool' Cant wait. Sounds interesting.

KrossFire
  • KrossFire

SMG Holder

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:31 PM

This sh*t better not be as bad as that table tennis game...

Kanney
  • Kanney

4-8-15-16-23-42

• Members

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:36 PM

Has a date been put on it? In October? Same day as VCS possibly. Gonna be broke as fk.

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Winner of Euro 2008 Prediction League

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:42 PM

cool game sounds good cant wait for it to come out

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE (KrossFire @ Aug 14 2006, 05:01)
This sh*t better not be as bad as that table tennis game...

That game was very successful actually, and from what I've seen it was a good game.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

EZ5

• United-States

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:24 AM

I have been waiting for news on this peice for a long time now. I actually thought it might have been scrapped. Blood and death taken out won't keep people from complaining turns out.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:11 AM

Death in my mind would be a bad move anyway. Bullies don't kill. The bullied are the ones that kill.

SMG
  • SMG

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:05 PM

Looking at the trailor, the graphics engine looks simular to the GTA series (Renderware), possibly based on the GTA San Andreas Renderware engine because it has simular elements such as bicycles (and SA's unfinished Skateboard) and basketball.

MC.
  • MC.

LS Menace

• Members

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:29 AM

The trailer is amazing. I was also surprised that Rockstar games was on YouTube. I was also surprised that there was a Rockstar Vancouver. But this game really looks fun. The storyline looks very interesting.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE (The Inquirer)
ANTI VIDEO violence lawyer Jack Thompson is to launch a court case against video game maker Take-Two in a bid to stop its latest offering "Bully".

When the launch date for the game, which was made by the same company who made the controversial Grand Theft Auto, was announced, Jack emailed the INQ to tell us that he would stop it hitting the shops.

Now it seems that he wrote to Take Two and told it that it had until Monday to provide him with a copy of the game to see if it still posed a threat of copycat violence in schools.

If the game is not handed over, he warned, he would file a lawsuit against it to stop the October 1 release. Clearly Take Two told Jack to go forth and multiply, or ignored him because according to Technet, a lawsuit has been drawn up. Technet has got its paws on a copy of the suit and posted highlights here- http://www.bit-tech.....at_up_on_Bully

The suit alleges that the "hyperviolent Grand Theft Auto franchise of video games" was linked to numerous killings around the country. It does not mention that it was linked by Jack and his friends, but that is not an issue.

However, the suit claims that Bully will allow the player to rehearse violence upon his classmates and teachers in retribution for their bullying.

Jack claims the game will also train school-age kids how to become bullies after themselves being bullied.

Jack claims that Take-Two is fraudulently and deceptively marketing this game because it desperately needs the cash. Bully was delayed for over a year because of his efforts, the suit claims.

Jackie Boy is at it again people!

Natedogg.
  • Natedogg.

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (GTA3Freak-2001 @ Aug 16 2006, 03:10)
QUOTE (The Inquirer)
ANTI VIDEO violence lawyer Jack Thompson is to launch a court case against video game maker Take-Two in a bid to stop its latest offering "Bully".

When the launch date for the game, which was made by the same company who made the controversial Grand Theft Auto, was announced, Jack emailed the INQ to tell us that he would stop it hitting the shops.

Now it seems that he wrote to Take Two and told it that it had until Monday to provide him with a copy of the game to see if it still posed a threat of copycat violence in schools.

If the game is not handed over, he warned, he would file a lawsuit against it to stop the October 1 release. Clearly Take Two told Jack to go forth and multiply, or ignored him because according to Technet, a lawsuit has been drawn up. Technet has got its paws on a copy of the suit and posted highlights here- http://www.bit-tech.....at_up_on_Bully

The suit alleges that the "hyperviolent Grand Theft Auto franchise of video games" was linked to numerous killings around the country. It does not mention that it was linked by Jack and his friends, but that is not an issue.

However, the suit claims that Bully will allow the player to rehearse violence upon his classmates and teachers in retribution for their bullying.

Jack claims the game will also train school-age kids how to become bullies after themselves being bullied.

Jack claims that Take-Two is fraudulently and deceptively marketing this game because it desperately needs the cash. Bully was delayed for over a year because of his efforts, the suit claims.

Jackie Boy is at it again people!

Just saw this at the site, I'm really tired of this guy...

Adoward
  • Adoward

Ruhe In Frieden, Shane

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:42 AM Edited by Adoward, 16 August 2006 - 11:46 AM.

QUOTE (GTA3Freak-2001 @ Aug 16 2006, 08:10)
QUOTE (The Inquirer)

Jack claims that Take-Two is fraudulently and deceptively marketing this game because it desperately needs the cash.

Whereas Jack is fraudulently and deceptively making these lawsuits because his mother didn't pay him enough attention.

Edit: Take-Two needs money? They're sitting on a goldmine, publishing and distributing some of the most successful games on the market. GTA, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Sid Meier's Civilization IV, Prey. You could take away GTA and Take-Two would still be raking in the cash, simply because GTA is not ALL they do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users