Donald Love

8 replies to this topic
Cheshire Cat
  • Cheshire Cat

Confucius Says

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:37 PM

Fans of the series all know him.

He's the millionaire playboy, the sinister coporate fat cat, the anti-thesis to Bruce Wayne. He's the virtual embodiment of Patrick Bateman, a man who's luxurious lifestyle has gone to his head and rotted his brain.

Chronologically speaking, we're first introduced to Mr. Love in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City as the eager and nerdy protege to Real Estate tycoon Avery Carrington.

Not beyond being seedy like his mentor, he moves to Liberty City hoping to get a piece of the Big Apple. He becomes a media mogul, owning several radio stations and television networks, and slowly devolves into a cannabalistic mad man. Eventually turning on his mentor Avery Carrigton, and eating his corpse.

Towards the end of GTA3 he recieves a bunch of packages and soon after dissapears, leaving the player to question where he may have gone... perhaps something that won't be revealed till GTA4, perhaps it will never be known.

But what happens with Donald Love in the twelve year gap between Vice City and Liberty City Stories? Does he stay in Vice City, does he travel the world?

I'm hoping he will at least return as a boss or ally in Vice City stories, but what I would really love to see... is him as the protagonist.

I think he's cold hearted enough, has very interesting personal traits, and he could easily make for a "from rags to riches" story.

So what do you think his role will be, if any, in the new GTA game?

Rob.
  • Rob.

Don't Stop

• Zaibatsu

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:29 PM

Maybe you even play as him, although i doubt it as he's not the type of character who likes to personally get his hands dirty. I presuem he'll set you missions if the game's set after VC, as perhaps Avery Carrington has moved town or gone to San Andreas, hence, his cameo in San Andreas, i assume he'll be in the game, depending on the timeline.

Cypress Hill
  • Cypress Hill

Hustler

• Members

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:38 PM

I'm not sure Donald would make a good protagonist. He seems aristocratic, well spoken, upstanding, and maybe even weak. He's the opposite of the previous protagonists, all of whom were tough street guys and career criminals. Also, other protagonists were violent and impusive, and even straightforward with their ruthlessness, while Donald is coniving, sadistic, and just disgusting.

On the other hand, it would be a good storyline to play as Donald muscling his way to the top of his semi-legitimate empire. There's a good chance he will appear in VCS, since he was in VC, but I have serious doubts about his potential as the main character.

NonRetard
  • NonRetard

The Erotic Neurotic

• Members

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:14 PM

Reading this thread kind of sums up all the speculation we've put ourselves through since May. I guess when everyone found out about Toni Ciprani being the playable entity in the first GTA for the PSP, Liberty City Stories; it really provoked all our minds. "Think about it: a game surrounding a character that has already been introduced in the GTA Universe." It's interactive fan fiction. Like how with Rockstar's "The Warriors"...they basically set the stage before the film.

I really hope a mod or admin puts up a POLL, asking the question:

"Whose story do you want told in Vice City Stories?"

Perhaps, it'd be redundant. After all, it seems like in a perfect world... all the characters already introduced in the GTA universe could have their own 'Story' told through the means of a PSP game or something.

P.S. I'm probably wrong, but is this the first time Donald Love's name has been thrown into the hat as a potential playable character for VCS? Seems like it.

azkickin
  • azkickin

I Love Titties

• Members

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:23 PM

In VC he never even spoke a word and was only seen on one mission cut scene I doubt he will have much of a role in VCS but who knows. Also I think that you will play as "Big" Mitch Baker. He just seems to be a good character if you ask me but hey who did right.

palaric8
  • palaric8

pEAcE And lOve YEAHhH!!!!

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:29 PM

I just dont see him carjacking cars or with a AK-47

Moth
  • Moth

I am mad scientist, sunuvabich!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:39 PM

Donald is not the kind of guy who would shoot someone or even own a gun he pays people to do his dirty work but you mit do mission for him if it is set after vice and maybe it shows why he went to liberty

Cheshire Cat
  • Cheshire Cat

Confucius Says

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:46 AM

Good feedback so far guys!

What a lot of you are overlooking is the fact that we really don't know that much about Donald Love, other than the fact that he's a sadistic and power hungry billionare in the years from 1998-2001 but there's still that big gaping void of his absence in the story line from 1986-1998 which is a whopping twelve years. When we last saw him he was a nerdy understudy for Avery, anything could have happened in that time.

We know that Avery is a big of a sh*t disturber, and he's not one to get his hands dirty, often sending younger more eager men to do his dirty work. Well, with Tommy Vercetti a made man, who better to run his errands than his little bitch, Donald.

Now Rockstar Leeds seems to have complete chronological freedom with the series, and they could probably set the game any time between 1980 and 1990 (without having to re-design the whole map), but I think it's likely that they'll probably set the game two or three years before Vice City takes place.

Why? Well, if they set it AFTER Vice City, they'd have to introduce Tommy Vercetti as a character or potential boss because well, he's the man, the head honcho of crime in the city, unless they made up some bullsh*t story about him fleeing town (perhaps because the forelli's kept pursuing him).

So I have reason to believe that VCS will be set three years BEFORE VC because like someone else said, it sets up the story for the PS2 platform series. It'd be silly to set it after in the same setting because you'd be live up to the crimes of the original protagonist of that city and it'd be too much work to explain the aftermath.

So if we're talking 1984, the prime of the 80's, thousands of cubans have just fled for Vice City and the streets are rife with crime. Enter Donald Love, an upper class new england conman looking for a piece of the city, but when he gets down there he soon realizes that the place already has an abundance of con artists and he can't get in the game, so he turns to crime, yadda yadda yadda.

It could end with him meeting Avery Carrington who acknowledges his work and promises to take him under his wing.

So in that sense the story arc would parallel GTA: LCS, instead of adopting the story arc of the main games (which always involve betrayal and revenge).

Instead of being betrayed, the protagonist just wants respect. Instead of becoming and independent legend at the end of the game, they become a part of a powerful circle.

Avery Carrington would be like Salvatore Leone in this situation.

It could work, and it all depends on how little we know about Donald Love.

n2gether
  • n2gether

Boss

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:20 AM

So you would be saying that if it was set before Vice City, and we played donald love, he would be a nerd when Vice City was. That really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, I mean from going to mass killings and what not (the regular gta main character sh*t) to an understudy of Avery Carrington. Well I don't see that happening. What I do see of a more possibility is how he made all this money, which means after Vice City more or less, maybe he was into serious crime before getting into more real estate type busineses and what not. I could see Donald Love being a main character, but having to have it set after Vice, but not before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users