» «
Photo

[TUT] Making Userbars

8 replies to this topic
jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:15 AM Edited by jarjar, 27 December 2006 - 05:54 AM.

user posted image
by jarjar

Userbars have become very popular with a lot of forum users over the last year or so. Mostly being used in forum signatures. For example, just look through the profiles here and I'm sure you will find someone with at least one in there signature in less than 5 minutes. Some people like them, some don't, either way, learning how to make them can be an interesting experience. Userbars contain a lot of types of GFX related tasks that once learnt can give any graphics you make a more appealing look and feel. Userbars are very easy to make, and you will get the hang of it very fast, i assure you wink.gif . If your not sure what a Userbar is, check out the description at Wikipedia. The main reason i have created this tutorial is because, the other day i got a request to do a userbar, i did the quick Google search and found a tutorial for Photoshop 6, nothing much has changed from Photoshop 6 to 9 but it was not the easiest to follow tutorial, so i decided to do my own. It should give you the basics of how everyone does them, but it should also give you an insight into how to extend the userbar to make it more appealing. So lets get started. We will be making a Userbar that everyone here can use..a GTAForums.com User Userbar.

Tools Required:
Photoshop 7,CS1 or CS2. NOTE: It may also work this way with past version, though i only have experience with PS7 and CS2.

Step 1:

Start a new image. Go File -> New... or on your keyboard click Ctrl+N. When prompted with the New Dialog for creating a new image in Photoshop input the values as i have below:

user posted image
Input the information above into the Dialog Box you will be given once you have pressed Ctrl+N.

Then click "OK". You will now have something looking like this:

user posted image
Once you have created a new image, it should look something like this.

Step 2:

Now click the "Paint Bucket Tool" in you tools window:

user posted image
Selete the "Pain Bucket Tool" In your tools window.

Now with the Paint Bucket Tool click the body of your image to make the whole image completly black (#000000):

user posted image
Use the Paint Bucket Tool to make the body of the image black.

Next, right click on "Layer1" and click Blending Options.

user posted image
Click "Blending Options" in "Layer1"'s Right Click Menu.

Then input this data and then click "OK":

user posted image
Input this information into the dialog that pops up.

Your image will not look like this:

user posted image
What you image will now look like.

Step 3:

Now your going to add text to your userbar. Use the "Horizontal Text Tool" and click on the Right - Center of your userbar and type "GTAForums.com User".

user posted image
Select the "Horizontal Text Tool".

Next you need to add this font to the text: Visitor -BRK- Font. This is the font used on all Userbars. Though, if you wish you can use your own font. Your image should now be looking like this:

user posted image
What your Userbar should now be looking like.

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:16 AM Edited by jarjar, 16 July 2006 - 06:19 AM.

Step 4:

Now we're going to add the GTAForums.com Logo to the image. I've done one up you can use:

For Internet Explorer Users - Here (Right Click -> Save Picture As)
For Mozilla FireFox Users - Here (Right Click -> Save Image As..)

Now you need to add it to your image. Once you have download the image open it in Photoshop (Ctrl+O) and use the Move Tool to drag it into your Userbars Window.

user posted image
Select the "Move Tool".

Now you need to scale it down. Go Edit -> Transform -> Scale. Then import this information into the box under the main menu and then click the "Tick" button:

user posted image
Input this data into the bar below the main menu.

You Userbar should now look like this:

user posted image
What your image should now look like.

What we want to do now is make the logo more noticeable, it's what we're wanting people to see first, so we do this: Right-Click you logos layer and Click "Blending Options" and input this information:

user posted image
Input this information into the dialog.

The click "OK". The logo should now look like this:

user posted image
The logo should now stand out more.

Step 5:

Now the you nealy done, all you have to do now is add a boarder and add scan lines.

Open this image in Photoshop:

user posted image
Save this image to your hard drive and open it in Photoshop.

Now click Edit -> Define Pattern... and call it "Diagonal Line".

Now go back to your Userbar and create another layer (Shift+Ctrl+N) and then click Edit -> Fill and select the pattern you just added. Change the layers opacity to 60%:

user posted image
Change the layers opacity to 60%.

Your Userbar should now look like this:

user posted image
Looking good now isn't it?

Step 6:

All that's left to do now is add a boarder, create a new layer (Shift+Ctrl+N) and press "Ctrl+A" to select the entire body of the user bar.

Then click Edit -> Stroke and set the following values and then click "OK":

user posted image
Add these to the dialog that pops up.

Your userbar should now look like this:

user posted image
Add these to the dialog that pops up.

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:16 AM

Step 7:

Now we're going to add a Glossy Effect to it. Like so:

Create a new layer (Shift+Ctrl+N) and use the "Elliptical Marquee Tool" (Right-Click the Rectangular Marquee Tool and select the Elliptical Marquee Tool from the menu).

user posted image
Right-Click the Rectangular Marquee Tool and select the Elliptical Marquee Tool from the menu.

Use the tool to select part of the image like this:

user posted image
Select this part of the image with the tool.

Then select the Paint Bucket Tool from the tools window and use white (#ffffff) to cover the select area. Then change the layers opacity to 40%.

user posted image
Paint the area white (#ffffff) and change the layer opacity to 40%.

Well now your done, all you have to do is rearrange your layers so they look like this:

user posted image
Re-arange your layers to look like this.

Now save your PSD and then save your finished copy to what ever image format you want. And your done, i hope you like what you've created and i hope you like this tutorial.

user posted image
This should be what your final image should look like. Hope you like it.

You can get the PSD here.

Thank you for reading, and i hope you have learnt something new, and that you like the userbar. wink.gif

gRiM-reapa
  • gRiM-reapa

n_n

• Members

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:50 AM

Very nice tut Jarjar. Very handy. biggrin.gif smile.gif

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE (gRiM-reapa @ Jul 16 2006, 16:50)
Very nice tut Jarjar. Very handy. biggrin.gif smile.gif

Thanks gRiM-reapa, glad you like it, i have another tutorial i'm working on and i will post it before tomorrow smile.gif .

Smallo
  • Smallo

ARGH!!!!! Smallo

• Members

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:04 AM

yeh nice tut now i can make my own instead os stealing them off google blush.gif

The-end
  • The-end

It's time to go home

• Members

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:16 PM

Very nice Jared, your an awsome gfx'er. I hope the next tutorial is just as good icon14.gif

eyeswideshut
  • eyeswideshut

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:29 PM

tutorial looks good, only problem is that the GTAF logo should be rotated a little, it would look better...but awesome job on the tut jarjar

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (The-end @ Jul 17 2006, 00:16)
Very nice Jared, your an awsome gfx'er. I hope the next tutorial is just as good icon14.gif

Thanks mate icon14.gif , don't worry it will be, i want my tutorial to be helpful, not useless, so they need to be big and explain everything wink.gif . I'll try to get another one done by tomorrow wink.gif .

Thanks for everyones comments smile.gif .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users