» «
Photo

[Official] Radiosity Prelighting

52 replies to this topic
illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:07 AM Edited by aad, 02 August 2012 - 11:01 AM.

I think I've just about reconstructed the radiosity formula used for San Andreas. It could probably use a slightly higher sun, but that would require more prodding to everything else to get the hue/saturation ratios to match up again. Here's a side-by-side of a quickish solution and some vert colors from SA. Left side is a building in Los Santos, right is the test scene. Top half is viewed from the northeast, bottom from the southwest:

user posted image

If anyone with Max6 or higher wants to try to tweak it a bit, here's some screens of the relevant rollouts and stuff:

day_time.jpg
daylight_properties.jpg
sun_color.jpg
exposure_control.jpg

Or if you have Max 8, download the test scene here: http://media.gtanet....ightingtest.rar

Note, this is a Daylight system, not Sunlight, and the IES Skylight is default, so no need to muck with the colors there. Ambient light is 0 (skylight entity handles that). All objects should use the default gray Max material while rendering the radiosity solution. At the end, vert colors should be applied as 'lighting only.'

Assigning > Maxscript > More > Assign Vertex Colors

http://uppix.net/2/f...fb8c4e55f6d.jpg

So, yea, if anyone thinks they can get this even closer to R*^'s solution, please say so. Or, if it's close enough, then we could just roll with it...

locO G
  • locO G

LocO by name... But keeping an even keel.

• Members

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:21 PM Edited by locO G, 12 July 2006 - 06:49 PM.

This is wonderful news. Well done illspirit.
That's this evenings entertainment taken care of.

Edit: The results are great and calculation takes no time at all on a lot by lot basis. If you had to do a lot of them though...

This does seem a little brighter than the old MI-VC standard. I might have notched down the brightness in the exposure control, but if this is the SA standard the so be it.

I like the addition of colour to the lighting, it makes it look like like a really sunny day (as indeed it is here today).

Alexg:
But how can I apply it on my models?

The 3d max reference guide explains about using radiosity and exposure controls.
All you then need to do is assign vertex colours (also explained in the reference guide) and covert to an editable mesh.

Alexg
  • Alexg

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:47 PM

But how can I apply it on my models?

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Members

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:03 AM

So now its time to pre-light the GTI islands properly i gues i will make a start on it soon and give it to Gforce or he is already pre-lighting it. And i gues assigning vertex colors with lighting only should give me better results then i had earlier with my old devkit stuff. Really good work on this one Illspirit it looks promising and almost the same. smile.gif

Black-hawk
  • Black-hawk

Boss

• The Connection

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:28 AM Edited by Black-hawk, 13 July 2006 - 11:46 AM.

Omg woot.
Oh and hay guys. turn.gif
EDIT: Oh snaps, it's LS lighting, isn't it a bit too, *warm* (color schemes), I'd think MI would go best with SA's Country/SF lighting.

Time to experiment. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

Gforce
  • Gforce

"Segregate and Rearrange" "The Hills"

• Feroci Racing
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:30 PM Edited by Gforce, 13 July 2006 - 04:07 PM.

ooooh this looks like it could be fun biggrin.gif

played with the test scene and it looks like the settings are good to go.

going to do some illcom experimentation next.

thanks for releasing this illy.

Edit: Woohoo it looks like this works fine, time to try this ingame biggrin.gif

here's a pretty pic.........

user posted image

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

(-:-)

• Members

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:01 PM

Greate!!!
I'll test it soon on new PC...

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:02 PM Edited by locO G, 13 July 2006 - 08:25 PM.

Here's a pic of one of my skyscrapers with the new lighting standard.

user posted image

Radiosity rules!
Of course this does mean I'll have to redesign my shopping centre and create a different standard for all interior geometry (more work, more fun).

Greate!!!
I'll test it soon on new PC...

Welcome back AleXXX. Isn't it just great to have a new PC.

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Members

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:54 PM Edited by aad, 13 July 2006 - 08:31 PM.

that just looks really nice and clean that new lighting gives Myriad really an better feeling and atmosphere. cool.gif all the things really come together this week smile.gif passed second grade of school and i passed my driver license exam next up is finishing of my drawings for my work and finish of my lots for myriad. biggrin.gif

WHOOHO got mine working now too really make my buildings look better but it doesnt looks right now in GTI since whole gti isnt pre-lighted yett my building will look too bright in the surrounding area so im thinking of starting to pre-light all of GTI in the next few weeks. maybe i got 2 weeks of after this week and then i got enough free time to start doing that.

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:20 PM Edited by locO G, 14 July 2006 - 12:19 AM.

Another pic of the new prelighting.

user posted image

I have to say it does seem a little on the bright side and tends to bleach out the lighter textures.
I would suggest reducing the brightness a little in the exposure control or am I missing something?
I have double checked all the settings and 'exterior daylight' is checked.
Could there be any difference between Max 6 and 8? I doubt it.
Let's see what happens when others get their lots in game.

...but it doesnt looks right now in GTI since whole gti isnt pre-lighted yett my building will look too bright in the surrounding...

First report.
I wait to see what you think, Gforce.

lord fido
  • lord fido

Retired gangbanger

• Members

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:28 PM

mercie_blink.gif Max 8? Where can you get it from? just got max7.

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:35 PM Edited by locO G, 14 July 2006 - 12:12 AM.

QUOTE (lord fido @ Jul 13 2006, 20:28)
mercie_blink.gif   Max 8? Where can you get it from? just got max7.

Answer:
Autodesk

There's no 'warez' here.

Off topic! Off topic!

PS: Has anyone got anything in game yet?

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:11 AM

Damn, that's a major improvment! I can't wait to see my lots in radiosity!

@GForce 'tis pretty, apart from some dodgy shading on your Myriad Motorbikes lot wink.gif

Black-hawk
  • Black-hawk

Boss

• The Connection

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:14 AM

user posted image
inlove.gif

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Members

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:04 PM

Works nice ingame tounge.gif

user posted image

and another one from above.

user posted image

i still need to check the settings but it finnaly works. inlove.gif

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:25 PM Edited by locO G, 15 July 2006 - 07:27 PM.

I've solved my little brightness problem. It was my fault.

illspirit's MI-PLS workd perfectly, even the road sections match up.

Pre lit locoshops.

user posted image

user posted image

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Members

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:28 PM

That is really looking sweet loco, wow.gif i wish GTI would look like that hope i can finish of my drawings and then i will start on my lots again.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:19 PM

Well done ill, you stuck at it and it looks like all your hard work on matching the lighting has paid off. Even the quick tests on existing lots are looking awesome. smile.gif

And well done to the folks who've been trying it out and posting screenshots of their results! Black-hawk, that's a top-class piece of architecture you've got there.

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (Cerbera @ Jul 15 2006, 23:19)
... Black-hawk, that's a top-class piece of architecture you've got there.

You're telling me.
I've had the pleasure of testing it in game and, believe you me, there's a lot more to it than meets the eye.

I'll let Black-hawk explain.

JostVice
  • JostVice

realtime, not prerendered

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:59 PM

Damn that looks really very good... I cant wait to see it in action, I need to learn to prelight tounge.gif
All piccies looks sweet

lord fido
  • lord fido

Retired gangbanger

• Members

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:30 PM

biggrin.gif Lol , now Alexg can properly light his lots by himself.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE (locO G @ Jul 13 2006, 22:20)
I have to say it does seem a little on the bright side and tends to bleach out the lighter textures.
I would suggest reducing the brightness a little in the exposure control or am I missing something?
I have double checked all the settings and 'exterior daylight' is checked.
Could there be any difference between Max 6 and 8? I doubt it.
Let's see what happens when others get their lots in game.

Hmm, experience has shown that different scenes might have a different brightness (using the same settings), probably because the exposure control calculates some sort of average and scales the brightness down accordingly. No idea how much that affects the vertex colors, though. But yea, best results might only be reached if radiosity is calculated at once, with as many objects as possible in the scene (also for dark alleys and shadows of tall buildings). We'll see how it looks after several people prelit their lots independently.

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:34 AM

Tested on the whole MI^ scene. Doesn't really take long to get it to 85%. And with both filtering options set to 2, it doesn't look too bad.

user posted image

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Members

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:46 PM

Looks really nice illspirit i hope to see all of black messa be pre-lighted soon and ingame. cool.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:14 PM

Are the kerbs casting those shadows across the road, or does the road have a slight crown to it (looks like a hump in cross-section)? The cliffs and underneaths of bridges look good and the roundabout bowl looks great. smile.gif

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:27 PM

Kerbs and other small faces are usually causing these strange "shadows", if calculated at low quality. To get everything perfect you'd need a radiosity quality of 100%, what will take 3 days or more to calculate with an average processor (for illnorth only). That's why everything has to be finished before we attempt that, since noone likes to do it multiple times...

Grant
  • Grant

Back from the dead

• Members

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:02 PM

Great work guys those are looking really better, i used Blender a while back to pre-light my models but this seems faster, can this same method be used to pre-light models for Vice City as i'm not great with MAX but i'd like to know now rather than spend hours working it out and it not working.

-thanks smile.gif

Edit: ^^ 200th post

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:22 PM

Yes, you can use this same method for VC, as well as every other game that supports vertex colors. It's just a different, much more sophisticated and realistic way to calculate the colors, rather than a different technology in terms of storing them (in the final models).

Black-hawk
  • Black-hawk

Boss

• The Connection

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (steve-m @ Jul 18 2006, 14:27)
Kerbs and other small faces are usually causing these strange "shadows", if calculated at low quality. To get everything perfect you'd need a radiosity quality of 100%, what will take 3 days or more to calculate with an average processor (for illnorth only). That's why everything has to be finished before we attempt that, since noone likes to do it multiple times...

Hell, I'll be leaving my PC for a week starting on the 7th of August, 3.6GHZ should cope fine for a few days. So yeah, I can try that.

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:00 PM

The problem with the roads is that with a low radiosity accuracy, Max assumes the horizontal road vertices along the edges aren't receiveing light because they overlap the bottom vert's of the curbs. As the solution approaches 100%, the fine details like that work themselves out. It just takes forever. cryani.gif

And a radio'd render of Black Mesa:

user posted image

Oh, and, when doing renders/applying lighting, be sure the re-use radiosity option is ticked in the render > advanced lighting window.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users