Photo

GTA:LCS Playstation 2 Files

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
447 replies to this topic
NathanHenry
  • NathanHenry

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:56 AM Edited by NathanHenry, 28 June 2006 - 01:24 AM.

Okay now this is the strange thing when I tried to use the PS2 TXD Viewer to view
the GTA Liberty City Stories PS2 Files on the PS2 Disc I wasn't able to use the
program to do it but when I took a look at the CD Drive in My Computer it showed
me all of the LCS files like the Data Folder, Models Folder, etc. So I extracted all
of the files of the PS2 GTA:LCS Disc I put it in a folder and tried to open up the
files but I was unable to since these file formats are sort of different from the
GTA:LCS PSP files.

Is it now possible, now that we know that we can extract the GTA Liberty City
Stories Files from the Playstation 2 GTA Liberty City Stories Disc, to open up the
Liberty City Stories Playstation 2 Files?

Suction Testicle Man
  • Suction Testicle Man

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• Administrator
  • None

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:45 AM

Of course it's possible - if you want to write a program to open them, go ahead. Can the usual data files be opened in notepad without difficulty?

Moved to Editing Disc > Misc

Pumpkin Zone
  • Pumpkin Zone

パンプキン

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:06 AM

If it's possible, i'd love to see conversions over to San Andreas.

Like Toni.

Or the V8 Ghost.

Or the Avenger.

NathanHenry
  • NathanHenry

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:44 AM

Well if it is Grand Theft Auto it is possible to mod or write a program to open up Grand Theft Auto file formats so actually it might be possible if alot of people know how to get there hands on the Liberty City Stories files and start writing programs that can open up the LCS File Formats.

The File formats for LCS are like this:

= ANIM folder has two files called CUTS.DIR and CUTS.IMG which the CUTS.IMG can be opened up in IMG 2.0 and viewed as a bunch of .ifp, .cut, and .dat files.

= AUDIO folder has a bunch of audio clips from cutscenes, radio, and the news audios in .VB music format which is interesting because the audio format for PS2 LCS is .VB and PSP LCS audio format is .AT3.

= CHK folder has only one file called "GAME.DTZ".

= DATA folder has three files "MAIN.SCM, TRAIN.DAT, TRAIN2.DAT". MAIN.SCM cannot be opened in Mission Builder because it says it needs to be decompiled in a SCRIPT.IMG and MAIN.TXT.

= ICONS folder has one file called "LCSICON.ICO".

= MODELS folder the following files
- GTA3PS2.IMG
- COMMER.IMG+COMMER.LVZ
- INDUST.IMG+INDUST.LVZ
- SUBURB.IMG+SUBURB.LVZ
- UNDERG.IMG+UNDERG.LVZ
Now the IMG files cannot be opened in IMG 2.0 because the IMG files say they need a .DIR file like how the VC and GTA3 IMGs need a .DIR file. The .DIR files need to open up these LCS IMG files might be in the .LVZ files but I think someone needs to create a program to open up the .LVZ files or maybe the creator of IMG tool can probably create in upgrade in his IMG Tool to open up the LCS IMG files without the .DIR file.

= MODULES folder has 8 .IRX files and a IOPRP300.IMG file which of course I cannot open without the .DIR file for that IMG.

= MOVIES folder 4 .PSS files. Must be a weird video format.

= SPLASH folder has 16 .CHK files.

= TEXT folder has only one file called "ENGLISH.GXT". Now this must be the american.gxt file that SA, VC, and 3 uses but unfortunatly it cannot be opened up in SA GXT Editor.

=And there is also two other files that are not in a folder and they are
- SLUS_214.23
- SYSTEM
I have not a clue what these files are.

In order to obtain these files you just insert your Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories Playstation 2 Disc and open up MY COMPUTER and open up the CD/DVD Drive that reads the CD/DVD and you will see it there and you just copy it all and paste it to a different area.

Sinful
  • Sinful

Still, I show my face up here.

• Members

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:34 PM

The PS2 LCS formats are all weird because they're for PS2, not PC...
¢_¢
It's all different

NathanHenry
  • NathanHenry

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:23 AM

Yeah I think R* made new file formats for the LCS files to through us off.

But think about it seeing most of the files formats most of them are suppose to be something else like the .CHK files are suppose to be .TXD files so there might be a way to convert it if someone makes a program that can do it.

I think the LVZ files are suppose to be the DIR files because for each IMG file in the files they have a matching LVZ file like UNDERG.IMG + UNDERG.LVZ but in order to open up the UNDERG.IMG it says you need a "UNDERG.DIR" file to open it up so if someone were to possibly make a program that can probably open up the LVZ files or convert them to DIR files the IMG files might be possible to open.

The PSP format for the radio stations, ".AT3", well someone already came out with a program that can convert the AT3 music format to either MP3, WAV, or OGG.

So as you can see it is very possible to make programs that can do this stuff and just might uncover the Liberty City Stories Files.

Now in order to obtain these files you need to put you GTA:LCS PS2 disc into you computer, open up the drive in "My Computer" and just highlight them all and extract them to anywhere in your computer.

Quadropheniac90
  • Quadropheniac90

Confused Clown

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:56 AM

The DATA folder doesn't even contain all the .IDE files and .CFG files, nor the MAPS folder. dontgetit.gif I think R* made this one impossible to mod. confused.gif

NathanHenry
  • NathanHenry

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (teun.steenbekkers @ Jun 28 2006, 09:56)
The DATA folder doesn't even contain all the .IDE files and .CFG files, nor the MAPS folder. dontgetit.gif I think R* made this one impossible to mod. confused.gif

Okay I do know exactly wat you are talking about that is why my theory might be the CHK folder you see with the file GAME.DTZ in the CHK folder that might be the source for the other files in the DATA folder like the handling.cfg, carcols.dat, etc.

The GTA3PS2.IMG file might be the source for say the MAPS folder since it looks like it outlines that it is the GTA3 MAPS folder and that instead of putting the ide and ipl files in the Folder they might of just put it in the GTA3PS2.IMG file and also the GTA3PS2.IMG file is the only IMG without a .LVZ file which might be a possible folder for the .DIR file to the matching IMG file or might need to be converted to .DIR file format.

My Theorys of course.

dustcrazy
  • dustcrazy

Just simply, the crazy one.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:35 PM

Have you checked the size of all the files to see if the PC drive can read all the data. Also I can look at the SCM.

Good Luck. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

NathanHenry
  • NathanHenry

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (dustcrazy @ Jun 28 2006, 14:35)
Have you checked the size of all the files to see if the PC drive can read all the data. Also I can look at the SCM.

Good Luck. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

The size of all of the PSP LCS files together is 830 MB.

The size of all of the PS2 LCS files together is 1.80 GB.

Zverik
  • Zverik

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:09 PM Edited by Zverik, 29 June 2006 - 04:17 PM.

GXT text files are in Vice City file format, they open well in any VC text editor.
Checked it in my universal GXT Editor... Forgot the full name :) The one written in C Builder.

BTW, other files may as well use VC file formats...

dustcrazy
  • dustcrazy

Just simply, the crazy one.

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:02 PM

If I could get some files that would help. Also try the IMG and VC BW Mission editor.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection
  • United-States
  • Major Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:19 PM

You could probably get the Vice City Mission Builders to open the scm, but you'd need to customize the ini files with the new opcodes or else the code would not decompile.

NathanHenry
  • NathanHenry

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:15 AM

Yeah I heard of people opening up the ENGLISH.GXT file in the VC GXT Editor and I also heard that Run Down That Guy!! opened up the LCS PSP MAIN.SCM in VC Mission Builder but as for the IMG files you need a DIR file which might be the LVZ files if you convert the LVZ file to DIR or open up the LVZ files like folders and extract the DIR files.

Quadropheniac90
  • Quadropheniac90

Confused Clown

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:33 AM

I guess we just have to wait 'til the brains around here figure sh*t out. sad.gif

NathanHenry
  • NathanHenry

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:50 AM

Well I wish those brains around here would at least try to figure it out I mean now it is easy to get the LCS files now.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:38 AM

The img files are different in more ways than one. Assuming the LVZ files are indeed the "directory" for the IMG files, then it would be fair to say that the files are either compressed, or stored in a non-human readble format. By contrast, the .dir files for previous img files was readable.
Loading an IMG file into a hex editor reveals a similar situation, none of the content appears in the same format as previous gta's despite the same file extension. btw, there is no dir/lvz file for GTA3PS2.IMG (hardcoded?).

The .chk files in the splash folder are almost certainly texture files. For the tech heads, @ offset 0x8 in every.chk file, is the total number of bytes for the file. towards the end of the file, appears the texture name, and presumably the header info for the image.

A look though the Slus (ps2 executable) reveals the following message on a ton of occasions;
KNACKERED OR ILLEGAL COPY!

Also listed in the slus are 2 file types not encountered before, TEX and MDL, and a COL2 reference mercie_blink.gif

some other interesting text in the slus...
ERROR CODE HARD WIRED HERE FIX IT!!

ENTITY GONE OUT OF WORLD

f*ckf*ckf*ck

TOTAL MEMORY FRAGMENTATION f*ck UP!!! OOH DEAR!

biggrin.gif

Well I wish those brains around here would at least try to figure it out I mean now it is easy to get the LCS files now.

Yea, but many of the people who would be doing the work to code tools, img editors and whatnot, have lost interest in modding gta for the moment, due in no small part to events of the last year. Combined with that fact that ps2 games aren't easy to mod (easy, in comparison to the pc versions), and the fact that this game looks like it does security checks on everything to see if something has been tampered with, and i'd say you'll be lucky to get the scm and gxt files. And if the opcode's have changed in the scm, we won't be able to use the changed code on current gta's on pc, so there isn't a ton of incentive to explore that route.

REspawn
  • REspawn

REgent

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 July 2006 - 01:00 PM

The PS2 file formats and such for the other titles were not to far from what we got on the pc, these new formats combined with the lack of mod-ability for SA makes me draw the conclusion that this is the way they are gonna do things from now on with the games, make it as hard as possible for us to get at their file let alone mod them.

micster
  • micster

Rat

• Members

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:30 PM

I was gonna ask, but, does anyone know how to / know a tool to open .VB files

i remmeber there was a tool to rip San andreas audio but yeah

micster
  • micster

Rat

• Members

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:31 PM

EDIT:Sorry about that, some sorta server mess up

aru
  • aru

*poof*

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:07 AM

Maybe its time I post some stuff I found out about the PSP LCS files a while back. The following info is based on the PSP files, not the PS2 files... I don't know whats been changed in the PS2 files, and since I don't own a PS2, I don't think I'll be getting it. But assuming they just ported the game directly (its not so hard to port PSP to PS2 or vice versa)... the following info might be helpful.

CHK files can contain either model or texture data. The ones in the TXD directory in the PSP version contain only textures. I would assume the ones in SPLASH would also only be textures. If the data in the CHK file starts with "xet" its a texture, if it starts with "ldm", its a model. The basic structure of the CHK files is a doubly linked list.

I have a texture reader for the PSP CHK files that can display most of the textures (except the swizzled 4bit ones)... I can provide source code in C# for anyone that is interested, or if anyone can upload a few of the PS2 files, I might be able to try and get it to read those as well.

LVZ files contain info on the respective regions (i.e. commercial, industrial, etc)... they probabbly replace the ipl/idl files. The GAME.DTZ file definitely contains some very crucial info but I have no idea what it is. Either the DTZ or the LVZ files must reference the data in the IMG files, but there are no filenames... possibly just a hash of the filename (might be CRC32 again since they used that for the GXT files). The PSP executables are encrypted, so I couldn't look inside to see how it loads the data. The PS2 ones shouldn't be encrypted and is probabbly easier to understand. Also, note that the LVZ and DTZ files are compressed using ZLib... no headers.. just uncompress the complete contents of the file using zlib's inflate.

QUOTE (NathanHenry)
= AUDIO folder has a bunch of audio clips from cutscenes, radio, and the news audios in .VB music format which is interesting because the audio format for PS2 LCS is .VB and PSP LCS audio format is .AT3.

AT3 audio files were simply Sony's Atrac3 format. No clue what the VB files are, but they are possibly optimized for direct loading into the PS2's SPU.

QUOTE (NathanHenry)
= MODULES folder has 8 .IRX files and a IOPRP300.IMG file which of course I cannot open without the .DIR file for that IMG.

That IMG file definitely does not contain any game data... its most likely executable code.

QUOTE (NathanHenry)
=And there is also two other files that are not in a folder and they are
- SLUS_214.23
- SYSTEM
I have not a clue what these files are.

Standard files required for booting up a PS2 disc... nothing worth modding.

Quadropheniac90
  • Quadropheniac90

Confused Clown

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:24 AM

And do you think it's easy to extract model data from those .CHK files? If so, I'm gonna convert Toni. inlove.gif

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci
  • Scotland

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (DexX @ Jun 30 2006, 10:38)
f*ckf*ckf*ck

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. The same string is used in VC in the CStreaming::RequestModelStream function which loads files from GTA3.IMG, because of that it's helped me find the same functions in LCS, but unfortunately my reading of MIPS machine code isn't top notch.

NathanHenry
  • NathanHenry

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:43 AM

So ModelingMan you might actually be able to open up the IMG files after all?

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci
  • Scotland

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (NathanHenry @ Jul 5 2006, 12:43)
So ModelingMan you might actually be able to open up the IMG files after all?

It's possible, but it would take me quite a while since my understanding of MIPS is currently very basic. Once I become more fluent with MIPS I may be able to re-code it for x86.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:32 PM

Also, note that the LVZ and DTZ files are compressed using ZLib... no headers.. just uncompress the complete contents of the file using zlib's inflate.

hmm, you know of any app that can do this right off? a quick search led me to all kinds of source for zlib, but nothing really useful "out of the box" (useful as in, i dont have to look at source / compile anything tounge.gif).

aru
  • aru

*poof*

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (DexX @ Jul 5 2006, 13:32)
Also, note that the LVZ and DTZ files are compressed using ZLib... no headers.. just uncompress the complete contents of the file using zlib's inflate.

hmm, you know of any app that can do this right off? a quick search led me to all kinds of source for zlib, but nothing really useful "out of the box" (useful as in, i dont have to look at source / compile anything tounge.gif).

Here... look in the Release dir (it's a command line app). Although trivial, source included for anyone that cares.

DeeZire
  • DeeZire

Modder

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:47 PM

I decompiled the MAIN.SCM file from the PSP version of LCS some time ago. I did it so I could port some of the missions and features into my SA mod. Despite what anyone says or claims, it wont decompile in the GTAIII/VC/SA Mission Builder programs because too many of the LCS opcodes are out of range of any of them and the data seperators are completely different.

I already ported the 'face plant' feature, Car Salesman and Trash Dash to SA this way but its VERY time consuming - the decompiled code is not very readable and many of the opcodes are different so a lot of trial and error is needed.

The only way to simply and reliably mod LCS via the SCM is for somebody to write a Mission Builder version specifically for it, but as its not available on the PC (yet?) there wont be much call for that - the effort wont be worth it.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

Chocolate

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Hong-Kong
  • Major Contribution Award [Mods]
    Helpfulness Awards [Mods]

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:38 PM

Ask Seemann to make a decompiler. He's good at it.

Acoustik
  • Acoustik

-> FrEnCh PlAyEr <-

• Members

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:34 AM Edited by Acoustik, 06 July 2006 - 12:39 AM.

Thanks for the programs aru...

But i dont know the extension to the file optain by your programs...
In my Hexa Editor i look GATG at the biginning...

It's can be this ?
http://helix.nih.gov...ndpatterns.html

For instance, both the pattern GATG{2,}A and the pattern GATG{2}A mean GAT, followed by G repeated from 2 to 350,000 times, followed by A; the pattern GATG{}A means GAT, followed by G repeated from 0 to ..........

For edit the Audio Raw files use MFAudio for PS2... and you can export this to wav file...

Sorry for my english but i'm French... confused.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users