17 replies to this topic
Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:17 AM Edited by wolf68k, 20 June 2006 - 10:14 PM.

I've gotten word that there have been a number of double calls.
Ok first "What is a double call?" A double call is when a helper makes a call in 2 or more SNP topics but has yet to do any of them yet.
Normally I don't have too much of a problem with this, however I hear this has been going on too often. So now it's time I step in.

From here on there are NO double calls. You call 1 (one) SNP request. You do that mission. You post your results. Then you wait 1 hour from the time you make your result post to make another call.
Why? Well this is to stop the double calls, but why the wait 1 hour to get the other helpers and would be helpers a chance to do a mission.

Don't get me wrong. I love the enthusiasm to want to get the request filled. But give the other kids a chance to play with the ball, you'll still get your turn as well.
Yes I'm sure the people making the request might not want to wait 1 hour, but then you're not the only helper...hence the reason I said "helpers" instead of just "helper" in the topic title.

//edit
In bold

crazyanurag
  • crazyanurag

okthxbai

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:22 AM

just to clarify : does this mean that once i've completed a request, i'll have to wait at least 3 hours to call another request?

You'll Never Walk Alone

ajkhan316`
  • ajkhan316`

CSMY : Saiko Komon

• Members

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:28 AM

just to clarify: does this mean that once i've completed a request, i'll have to wait at least 3 hours to call another request?

Sure looks like it. Well I don't think this is gonna bode too well with some helpers especially those who do a lot of SnPs. I don't like double callers either but it never was a problem for me. I think the 3 hour rule is a bit harsh wolf68k and you might wanna want to bring it down to maybe an hour.

crazyanurag
  • crazyanurag

okthxbai

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:34 AM

QUOTE (ajkhan316` @ Jun 20 2006, 11:58)
I think the 3 hour rule is a bit harsh wolf68k and you might wanna want to bring it down to maybe an hour.

i second the motion biggrin.gif ...in fact, i've always thought there was an unspoken convention against double-calling, so i never liked it when others called two at a time...but i've also never had a problem when helpers have called available requests one at a time, because they didn't really 'snatch' it away from others...

You'll Never Walk Alone

gillies
  • gillies

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:50 AM

sad.gif

This always annoyed me a lot, and I had complained to AJ about someone doing it repeatedly a couple of months ago. What I think doesn't matter of course because I haven't been here very long, but I always thought this should have been a rule backed up with the possibility of getting a mod to hand down a banning for not following it and being fair to other people here. Well I guess it won't be a big problem since there aren't many requests posted these days anyway.

HerrieM
  • HerrieM

Don't Panic

• Members

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:00 AM

To be very honest, I haven't seen anyone double post since i've been here.
I know I once accidentally did this once and was rightfully corrected by Crazyanurag. But I haven't seen others making the same mistake.
I'm not so thrilled about the solution, having to wait three hours.

JAJ
  • JAJ

-Hitdog-

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [The Chain Game]

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:39 AM

I have also watched as a few helpers called two or more missions in the same minute (& I've seen it several times), I have thought how does that get the mission(s) done faster for the requester? What's the motivation of the caller?
I totally agree that one mission should be called, completed, and posted before another mission is called by the same helper.
I also think that waiting 3 hours is too long, after all we just want to stop the selfish calling of two missions at once. Please don't take me wrong on this - I don't agree with the 3 hour wait but I will abide by it.
I believe that most of the helpers naturally follow the correct path in just calling one mission at a time & that it's just a few that 'double call'.

crazyanurag
  • crazyanurag

okthxbai

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:41 PM Edited by crazyanurag, 20 June 2006 - 01:09 PM.

QUOTE (gillies @ Jun 20 2006, 12:20)
What I think doesn't matter of course because I haven't been here very long, but I always thought this should have been a rule backed up with the possibility of getting a mod to hand down a banning for not following it and being fair to other people here. Well I guess it won't be a big problem since there aren't many requests posted these days anyway.
i would think that what you'd have thought should matter, because you've been the most prolific helper since your join date in November...i think your suggestion is excellent, and that is the way i'd have gone...i was about to suggest the same to wolf, Plaka and AJ via PM, but since you've brought it up, i decided to voice my support for it right here...

QUOTE (HerrieM)
To be very honest, I haven't seen anyone double post since i've been here.
I know I once accidentally did this once and was rightfully corrected by Crazyanurag. But I haven't seen others making the same mistake.
if you cared to notice, you'd have found that it has happened as recently as two days ago...also, the PM i sent to you was not nessesarily as corrective, as it was informative...and you were the third person i've sent such a PM to...

QUOTE (JAJ)
I don't agree with the 3 hour wait but I will abide by it.
I believe that most of the helpers naturally follow the correct path in just calling one mission at a time & that it's just a few that 'double call'.
totally true...just because a few idiots double/triple-call, doesn't mean that the whole lot of us have to bear the brunt...i can never agree with double-calling...it is, as JAJ says, selfish...so the solution, in my humble opinion, should be directed towards curbing double-callers, than to have a preventive time-limit...that way, we don't have to take anything away from rule-abiding members...

if i were to rant, i'd say that a greater part of the SnPs are requested while i'm sleeping(can't be helped, i've accepted it)...same for JAJ who has the oddest working hours...so it is natural for people like us to want to get into the action when we have the chance, and constraining the number of calls we can make is a tad bit harsh...

though you can be sure that there'll be no problems from helpers that follow and understand the rules, with a time-bar in place, many will ask for a little leverage here, and a little leeway there...and the dubious nature of edit times will also spiral arguments about who called what and when...i'm not sure we need that right now...

however, you guys have run an incredible and resourceful service the way it deserves to be run, so i'll trust your judgment and stick by whatever is deemed fit to be in the best interest of this forum...

You'll Never Walk Alone

gordogg
  • gordogg

I'm the Juggernaut BITCH!!!

• Members

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:24 PM

some how i just knew something like this was coming. anyway whatever u guys decide whether i'm for it or not i'll abide by the rules.

i am liking the one hour waiting period between calls that crazy suggested though.

quartet1977
  • quartet1977

Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:44 PM Edited by quartet1977, 20 June 2006 - 02:46 PM.

this is weird. we're hardly getting enough SnPs these days for single calls. biggrin.gif

i agree that the rule against calling more than one SnP at a time has to be re-stated and enforced (i'm one of the 3 helpers who's gotten a PM from anurag biggrin.gif ), but i also agree with the the other helpers who've said that a three hour time limit is not the best way to solve the problem. personally, i like stopping by here whenever i get a moment to see what if anything needs doing. if i were restricted from offering my help by a three hour limit, i doubt i'd be as enthusiastic about dropping in as often as i do. also, for those times when there's only one helper around, doesn't this mean that a player with a request would be needlessly required to wait if that helper had just done someone else's request?

i don't know how this has been handled in the past, but right now, we have a small, stable group of helpers, all of whom should - and seem to - know both the rules and common courtesy. my suggestion would be the similar to gillies's: a reminder/warning the first time (for which this thread should serve well, right? all who've responded here have clearly read it), followed by a temporary ban or whatever the led-bys/mods feel appropriate.

are the helpers who've been double-calling regulars? because if the guilty ones are members who just randomly appear one day, call a bunch of requests at the same time cuz they are inconsiderate jerks who don't feel it necessary to read and/or abide by the rules, i don't think that us regulars should have to suffer cuz of it. especially since we would be the only ones to follow the new restrictions in the first place, leaving the inconsiderate jerks to pop by, do what they want and leave, while we (im)patiently wait our turn.

we are here to have fun and to help, and a three hour wait would get in the way of both.

EDIT: with this post, i am now a mack pimp. lol.gif

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:26 PM

Ok I've changed it to 1 hour....geeez
Most of you that are doing the missions that's great and all, but guys are like vultures circling MH just waiting for a request.
I'm not joking when I say I saw a request come up while I was doing a rather small stats collection. The request wasn't up for 1 minute and one of the regular helpers pounced on it, like a cat on a mouse, and he had just done finished a request as I was start the collection.
So the idea like I said was to give other helpers a chance to get in there and do some work as well as let in some fresh blood to be a helper.

I've seen some new helpers try to get in there, who admit later to no being able to read the rules and didn't know they had to post a call first. They come back afterwards and some other regular helper had gotten in there and made the call and finished the mission at about the same time the newbie did. And a lot of times these newbes end up giving up because the regs are all over every mission.

Hell even I can't get a chance to do a mission, that is when I have the free time to do anything. When I do have the free time all of the missions are either done or called. And frankly I don't have the time, patences or attention span to sit in GTAF much less MH all day and night waiting for a new request to come in.
But then this isn't about me, it's mostly about all of the "would be helpers".

How many times have we all seen one helper have to edit his post because some other reg just happen to make the call a split second before?

Like I said at the start, I glad to see the enthusiasm but give some other kids a chance to play with the ball too.

A.Fonz
  • A.Fonz

Aaaay!

• Members

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (wolf68k @ Jun 20 2006, 22:26)
but guys are like vultures circling MH just waiting for a request. I'm not joking when I say I saw a request come up while I was doing a rather small stats collection. The request wasn't up for 1 minute and one of the regular helpers pounced on it, like a cat on a mouse, and he had just done finished a request as I was start the collection.
So the idea like I said was to give other helpers a chance to get in there and do some work as well as let in some fresh blood to be a helper.

I have to agree with your whole post, but this part especially, I'm only new here, but even I've noticed that alot of the helpers have replied to a SNP after about 5 mins, this makes it extremely hard for someone like me to ever get the chance to do an SNP, So when I ever get a chance I pounch on it like tigger on piglet.

I think that the waiting 1 hour after you've completed a SNP is a good rule, and I can only hope people abide by it.

ajkhan316`
  • ajkhan316`

CSMY : Saiko Komon

• Members

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:30 PM

Well now that you say it, it makes more sense. We have seen more and more people step up and do requests nowadays which is encouraging. But we don't see much SnPs nowadays anyway. I think yesterday was the most SnPs we got in like 2 weeks. Somedays there aint any at all. The 1 hour rule seems pretty fair.

And while we are at it I wanted to run something else by all of you. It used to be a problem back when I was new where helpers would call the mission, leave it for a long time and then come back and do it. Anyway, I think there is an unwritten rule that a request should be done in 3 hours but I would like to make it official. Not that big of a deal but would just like to add it to the rules.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:40 AM

Well now both rules will now be official...well that is to those that even read the rules.

Wait 1 (one) hour [u]after[/b] posting your results (not after the call) before you can make another call.

....and....

If you have not posted your results after 3 hours of your call post, then another helper may step in and do the mission him/her self.

JAJ
  • JAJ

-Hitdog-

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE (ajkhan316` @ Jun 20 2006, 19:30)
And while we are at it I wanted to run something else by all of you. It used to be a problem back when I was new where helpers would call the mission, leave it for a long time and then come back and do it. Anyway, I think there is an unwritten rule that a request should be done in 3 hours but I would like to make it official. Not that big of a deal but would just like to add it to the rules.

I think that's fair, most of the helpers get 'em done and post back usually in a half hour or less. There is the rare occasion when someone has technical difficulties but that will always be an uncontrollable problem.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:50 AM

Ok check the Rules topic for the last post to see the new rules I've added and that are now official.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:28 AM Edited by lil weasel, 29 May 2010 - 08:48 AM.

How does this rule apply to the [SnP] and Chain Game turns calls.
i.e. Are Chain Game turns treated as a whole different catagory, or are they to be considered as [Snp]s for the purpose of this rule?

Noting also that:
Chain Games Turns have Three (3) Hours to Finish and Post
But,
[SnP] mission helpers only have One (1) Hour to finish and Post.

JAJ
  • JAJ

-Hitdog-

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ May 29 2010, 04:28)
How does this rule apply to the [SnP] and Chain Game turns calls.
i.e. Are Chain Game turns treated as a whole different catagory, or are they to be considered as [Snp]s for the purpose of this rule?
First, this topic is about making the helpers wait after completing a SnP. The wait was suggested to be 3 hours between completing a SnP. Some helpers would call three SnP's in one minute. Since it was a suggestion, a helper (crazyanurag) counter suggested that it be a one hour wait between SnP's and this was then changed to one hour by the area moderator. It was then later changed to "no more waiting" in <this post> in the <Mission Help Rules & FAQ Topic>
The rule only applies to the requested SNP's. The chain game has it's own seperate set of rules. The chain game is a seperate thing from SnP's.

Noting also that:
Chain Games Turns have Three (3) Hours to Finish and Post

true

But,
[SnP] mission helpers only have One (1) Hour to finish and Post.

<this post> says that the helpers have three (3) hours to finish a SnP.
"3. If after 3 hours of you call to do a request and you have not posted your results, then another helper may step in and do the mission. If you happen to get your results in before the other helper does then you will still get credit...other wise you will not. And remember the edits are date and time stamped just like the post itself, only they reflex the last edit."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users