» «
Photo

ATTENTION! Major-ish changes to MI^

5 replies to this topic
illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:50 AM Edited by illspirit, 23 May 2006 - 08:13 AM.

To whoever is working on or planning lots for Myriad North:

I'm going to go through and widen all the roads and sidewalks so they match the standard 5m wide lanes/paths in SA. Assuming you've planned with that narrow grass buffer strip in mind, this shouldn't affect you much, as the new edge of the sidewalks should end up where that ended. And, hopefully this should only take a few days. catspider.gif

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:47 AM Edited by aad, 23 May 2006 - 06:52 AM.

Uhm thats quete a big change illsprit and a massive job if you want to do all of the lots too. And why widen it i think its fine like it is now. BUt let the members decide i gues this doesnt affect my lots i gues.

And i have taken a small look into the real life dimensions and it seems that the sidewalks are around 1 meter or more. and 1 road width is around 2,5 meters wide so a double road will be 5 like you said but i dont think people will notice it much like the way it is now or when u have changed it.

JasonB
  • JasonB

GTA-SA/GTA-VC/GTA3 Modder Extraordinaire

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:52 AM

Will the sidewalks be made larger as well? And will the size of the sidewalks be altered at all?

I always thought the illcom roads were a bit small, and I'm glad to see you're fixing it smile.gif Hopefully the impact on the lots won't be too severe.

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:06 AM

No no no, I'm not insane enough to touch illcom! Not yet anyway. Just doing the northern islands for now. It's not taking as long as expected either, as illurb is almost done. Just need to model new intersections and stitch it together. Oh, and I also added some more four-lane roads (or 2lane + parking?). Click to embiggen:

user posted image

@ aad - Are those dimensions in the Netherlands though? Roads over here generally have a minimum lane width of almost 4m (bear in mind the US is SUV land tounge.gif ), with most outer lanes requiring some extra space for drainage and/or ped safety. I guess R* just rounded up to 5 for all the lanes to give the loony AI room to drive, or maybe make it easier on players? And yea, 5m sidewalks are rather huge, but about half of those (in suburbany areas) will be half grass on the street side. Plus, it will leave room for benches, light poles, and stuff.

JasonB
  • JasonB

GTA-SA/GTA-VC/GTA3 Modder Extraordinaire

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:44 AM

Oh, I thought you were changing the illcom roads/sidewalks. I thought that was a bit insane tounge.gif

Well, it's a good thing if the northern islands roads are being widened to a GTA standard, it means my island won't be alone in the behemoth size roads (I use the 5m sidewalk & lane as well). It's better to have bigger roads in a game like this anyway, when speeding down in a car it gives players more room to maneuver. Good to see the train in there too smile.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:49 PM Edited by Cerbera, 24 May 2006 - 05:54 PM.

I'm slightly to blame for this idea.

QUOTE (Cerbera)
Hi ill,

I read that the Northern Islands are going to be split up with the roads seperate from the lots.  Is there any chance you could make the pavements wider and the kerbs lower during this?

At the moment the kerbs are so sharp that you can't drive over them to flatten out corners.  If you touch one on the exit to a curve, you lose a lot of time trying to stabilise the car.

The narrowness of the pavements on illCOM often mean that pedestrians end up in the street when walking past each other.  It also means that there isn't enough space for street furniture like fast foot stands or mail boxes.

Making the kerbs lower would make driving at high speed around MI possible.  Making the pavements wider would keep pedestrians on them and allow for some more "street furniture".

I imagine it would be an awful lot of tedious tweaking, but it would only need to be done once and would make MI a nicer place to play around in for years to come. smile.gif
I put together some kerb comparison shots. When illspirit measured GTASA kerbs, he found the MI ones were about 0.05 units (5cm) higher. That's a big difference when you consider the ground clearence of a normal road car is about 15cm.

These changes should make the Northern MI islands even better than they are already. cool.gif

(EDIT) Perhaps the GTi authors might consider raising their roads 0.05 units so their kerbs aren't so sharp?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users