» «
Photo

GTA VC Alt+TAB Func. Error

21 replies to this topic
s18000rpm
  • s18000rpm

BMW M3 GTR Fan

• Members

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:50 AM Edited by s18000rpm, 16 May 2006 - 09:00 AM.

hey guys,

I've installed GTA 3 & GTA VC on my PC & playing it for 4 months, at the beginning i would pause the game & use Alt+TAB key to come to desktop, to use something (internet)or put the PC into Hibernation.

But for the past 2 months whenever i use the Alt+TAB key to come to desktop the GAME CRASHES, (this didn't happen before)

i dont have any clue why only GTA Game Crashes like this.

All the other games like NFS PU,U2 & MW, F1 Challenge work fine when i use the Alt+TAB key.

i've re-installed the game (GTA3 & VC) 3 times but the problem still occurs.

(The game is original )

My PC Config.== HP Pavilion- XP home edition SP2,,P4 -3.06GHz, 256MB RAM, Intel 915G chipset, Integrated Intel GMA900 GFX (128MB RAM),

Help ME !!!!!!!!! dontgetit.gif

By the way guys can someone send me "gta_vc.set" file from "My Document" , "GTA VC folder" with the following settings===

"Screen Resolution -> "1024 x 768 x 32 bits" & "1024 x 768 x 16"

Thank You please....

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:57 AM

Hmmm, strange error.

Can't say I've ever ALT+TABbed out of VC before, but I often pause and then hit the Windows key. Does it still crash when you do that?

I'd assume however, that one way to fix it might be to disable all unused processes, including your anti-virus software - basically, anything that might be chewing up memory. Because that's the only reason I can see why the game might be crashing.

Good luck anyhow smile.gif .

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:59 AM

Delete 'My Documents\GTA Vice City User Files\gta_vc.set'. Fire 'er up and see how she goes. If you can pinpoint what's changed since it last worked, that'd be mighty helpful. Also try Win 98 compatibility mode. XP is a bitch.

Personally I use the Windows key to jump back to the desktop, but I doubt that'd make too much of a difference. And just as a side-note, it's probably not the best practice to keep VC running while browsing the web and such - it'll waste RAM and just be a pain. If you know you'll be doing something other than playing VC for an extended period of time, you'd best be to quit via the menu.

[EDIT] A thousand curses at Ben and his speedy posting. mad.gif

s18000rpm
  • s18000rpm

BMW M3 GTR Fan

• Members

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:16 AM

i did a "Partial (standard) Recovery" of my PC, as the "TASK MANAGER" & many other application(XP) were not launching.(some Virus Attack). After the Partial REcovery the game ran fine for 4-6 days, but thereafter it's been crashing.

What makes the game CRASH===>
=>when i try to change Resolution.
=>when i want to come to DESKTOP, (using Alt+TAB or Windows Key).

after few minutes of playing the game, the game gets CHOPPIER,(it stucks now & then, but doesn't crash).

the system recovery(partial) re-installed the "System32" folder (i think) & deleleted some drivers & "Windows updates", because of which i had to re-install many of the games(GTA also) & Office2003.

i have all the games on another(non - OS) partition from the beggining itself.

P.S. The Partial Recovery does not Reinstalls/Uninstall XP, but changes some settings & files to FACTORY Settings.

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:35 AM

Sounds like your PC has been royally screwed.

However, I think my advice of deleting gta_vc.set is even more applicable upon hearing more information. Did you actually do that? Your reply didn't really address anything suggested...

s18000rpm
  • s18000rpm

BMW M3 GTR Fan

• Members

Posted 16 May 2006 - 12:43 PM Edited by s18000rpm, 17 May 2006 - 05:55 AM.

sorry i forgot to tell, i did this RECOVERY STUFF some 3 months ago. smile.gif

i've tried all the suggesitions you guys gave, some 2 months ago,(i had posted my query in a PC mags forum- there also i had similar suggestions).

does the GTA game need any EXTRA DRIVER FILE (DLL or someother), for the Alt+TAB func.?

So there's no other way but to do a CLEAN RE-INSTALL of XP??

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:42 PM

@Fuzzy - lol, sorry mate tounge.gif !

@s18000rpm - To answer your question, no, not as far as I know.

It sounds like you've got some sort of video card or driver problem, especially as you say the gameplay gets "choppy".

Can't say I ever performed a system recovery, but it could be similar to something I did do a while back. My PC was crashing constantly due to driver failure in my video card, and Windows wouldn't always load properly - I got that screen at load-up saying there was a problem and asking did I want to open Windows normally, open in Safe Mode, or use Last Known Good Configuration. Generally, I just used the open normally option, but one time, I chose Last Known Good Configuration. And that's where I had major problems.

Basically, the majority of my software wouldn't work. I had to take my PC to get fixed, and I'm just assuming it was because of configuration issues and inconsistencies.

So, I'm wondering if you have a similar issue. My advice to you would be to format your PC - back-up all your important documents, saves from games, etc., and then just wipe everything and start from scratch. It's drastic, I know, but it should work.

I don't know what else to suggest... confused.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:41 AM

QUOTE (s18000rpm @ May 16 2006, 03:50)
By the way guys can someone send me "gta_vc.set" file from "My Document" , "GTA VC folder" with the following settings===

No, because the SET file is hardware specific too.

Don't know if it will help, but try using the same res and bit depth for both Windows and the game. I do that anyways to make Alt+Tabbing MUCH faster.

Keirban
  • Keirban

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (Fuzzy Juzzy @ May 16 2006, 08:59)
Delete 'My Documents\GTA Vice City User Files\gta_vc.set'. Fire 'er up and see how she goes. If you can pinpoint what's changed since it last worked, that'd be mighty helpful. Also try Win 98 compatibility mode. XP is a bitch.

Personally I use the Windows key to jump back to the desktop, but I doubt that'd make too much of a difference. And just as a side-note, it's probably not the best practice to keep VC running while browsing the web and such - it'll waste RAM and just be a pain. If you know you'll be doing something other than playing VC for an extended period of time, you'd best be to quit via the menu.

[EDIT] A thousand curses at Ben and his speedy posting.  mad.gif

I have deleted the .set file but then my game just wont load and frezees and i get the error again....And how do i start in Windows 98 mode?

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (Keirban @ May 26 2006, 08:30)
QUOTE (Fuzzy Juzzy @ May 16 2006, 08:59)

[EDIT] A thousand curses at Ben and his speedy posting.  mad.gif

I have deleted the .set file but then my game just wont load and frezees and i get the error again....And how do i start in Windows 98 mode?

'C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto Vice City\'. Right-click 'gta-vc.exe'. Properties. Compatibility tab. Check the box and select Windows 98/ME from the drop-down menu. Apply, OK.

I suggest uninstalling, deleting the SET file, re-installing and then trying Windows 98 mode (assuming you're not already using 98).

Keirban
  • Keirban

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:16 PM

Fuzzy Juzzy, I took your advice, but it just made things worse and froze my computer the resolution changed and had to restart, any other sugestions? confused.gif

Mow
  • Mow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 May 2006 - 09:53 AM

The game crashes on me too when trying to change the resolution.. Kinda weird problem.

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 May 2006 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (Mow @ May 27 2006, 19:53)
The game crashes on me too when trying to change the resolution.. Kinda weird problem.

Delete the SET file and change compatibility mode to Windows 98.

Keirban
  • Keirban

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 May 2006 - 12:21 PM

It never asks how to change to Win. 98 mode, how do i do that?

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 May 2006 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (Keirban @ May 27 2006, 22:21)
It never asks how to change to Win. 98 mode, how do i do that?

'C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto Vice City\gta-vc.exe'. Right-click it -> Properties. Compatibility tab. Check the 'change compatibilty mode to:' box, and select Windows 98/ME from the drop-down menu. Apply, OK.

Keirban
  • Keirban

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 May 2006 - 12:36 PM

Oh oh oh, I see now smile.gif thanks again!

Keirban
  • Keirban

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:37 PM

Haham it worked, thanks again FJ tounge.gif

NRoNe
  • NRoNe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:41 AM

I have the same problem as the thread poster, but the solution didnt work for me. ;(

Havent played GTA or GTA VC for a few months. They both worked fine back then.
But now i can't ALT+Tab to windows or change the resolution in the setup without the game crashing.

Tried to delete the gta_vc.set file in the vice city folder in my documents, and run the game in win98/me compability.
Both with the 1.1 patch and without it, but it didnt solve the problem.

Think i've tried everything except a new clean install of winXP.

Have browsed around on other forums, and there seems to be other with the same problem. But havent found a fix that works.

Game runs well in 640x480x16.

Suggestions?

Simon.
  • Simon.

Gangsta

• The Connection

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:10 PM Edited by Simon., 02 June 2006 - 12:14 PM.

QUOTE (NRoNe @ Jun 3 2006, 00:41)
I have the same problem as the thread poster, but the solution didnt work for me. ;(

Havent played GTA or GTA VC for a few months. They both worked fine back then.
But now i can't ALT+Tab to windows or change the resolution in the setup without the game crashing.

Tried to delete the gta_vc.set file in the vice city folder in my documents, and run the game in win98/me compability.
Both with the 1.1 patch and without it, but it didnt solve the problem.

Think i've tried everything except a new clean install of winXP.

Have browsed around on other forums, and there seems to be other with the same problem. But havent found a fix that works.

Game runs well in 640x480x16.

Suggestions?

Try rolling back or reinstalling your video card drivers, but before you do so make sure to delete your gta_vc.set before you reinstall or rollback, then defrag your harddisk and do a CHKDSK.

If you'd like to take the extra step before considering re-installing Windows, then try this procedure -
  1. Click Start -> Run...
  2. Insert your Windows Installation CD
  3. Type "sfc /scannow" into the box.
  4. Follow any prompts with what you'd like it to do.
This could rollback some files so use it cautiously and as a last resort before re-installing Windows smile.gif .

EDIT: I forgot to tell you that the command checks for integrity of your Windows files. More info can be found here.

NRoNe
  • NRoNe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:24 PM

Thanks simon! wink.gif

But i figured out the problem (sort of) after reading this at the GTA VC support site:

"--A third-party feature pack for streaming video files, called "Nimo Codec Pack," has been known to cause a number of different problems when trying to install and run GTA: Vice City. If you do have this installed, we recommend uninstalling the Nimo Codec Pack, then try to install the game."

I didnt have this codec pack installed. But it led me to believe that i could have a similar problem.
So i unistalled a bunch of codecs i use for my media player (Zoom Player).
- ac3filter (0.70b)
- Dscaler 5 (0.0.6)
- ffdshow (20040801)

And it worked. (Altough i didnt take the time to figure out wich one of these caused the problem)

Just wanted to post this for anyone else with the same problem. wink.gif

Good luck!

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (NRoNe @ Jun 3 2006, 08:24)
Just wanted to post this for anyone else with the same problem. wink.gif

Thanks, a lot. smile.gif

It's people like you who help the bug list grow - I've updated the pinned topic with your solution and provided a link to the original post. Thanks.

s18000rpm
  • s18000rpm

BMW M3 GTR Fan

• Members

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:52 AM

guys my problem with gta (Alt+TAB) is solved.

i think there was something wrong(corrupt file) file in the system folder.

i ran a Standard Recovery which Re-Installed XP (without formatting, 10 mins. job), which solved everything. wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users