...to swap between v1, v2, Hot Coffee and Spaceeinstein's All In One Mod
...or toggle the CLEO library off/on
Current Version: v0.7 -- released September 25 2008
Easy disabling and enabling of the CLEO library (if installed).
Start GTASA from within the script switcher: normal or nosplash (if nosplash.exe present).
Supported versions of Spaceeinstein's All In One Mod: v2.6 --> v3.0
- Script Switcher v0.7: primary @ GTA Garage -- mirror
- Script files: v1 -- v2 -- Hot Coffee -- Spaceeinstein's All In One Mod
- pdescobar's 'Completing v2 SNP requests using v1' including his ID conversion tool
- interesting details about savegame conversion by Samutz: file IDs -- checksums
- hmvartak's online save conversion tool
While helping other players with their missions I often had to switch my v1 scripts to v2 or even the Hot Coffee mod. Since repetitive file copying got sort of tiring for me I made this little batch file to do the job for me. Support for Spaceeinstein's All In One Mod was included by request from v0.3 on and the script is written in a way that should allow more future extensions, if wished for. Drop a line here if you want something else included and I'll see what I can do.
Since CLEO scripts have become an issue in the Chain Game, a routine to easily toggle them off or on has been added.
- Written on and only tested on WinXP .
- grishb reports that it also works on Vista . Judging from what I hear about Vista you'll very likely have to manually change permissions for some folders, see "Basics" below.
- Due to the registry reading feature it might not run on Win2K . You must have Win2K Support Tools installed, but since there are syntax differences for the command 'reg.exe' in WinXP and Win2K Support Tools it may still not run on 2K.
- This program needs write access in your GTA SA script folder (e.g. 'C:\Program Files\GTA San Andreas\data\script'). Log in as administrator and grant write access to the user account running GTA SA and the scriptchanger (or ask your system administrator to do this for you). This needs to be done only once - if at all. On a standard Win2K/XP installation you probably *won't* have to do it because all standard user accounts have full admin rights there (incl. write access everywhere). With Vista you most likely *will* have to do it.
- If you're using the Spaceeinstein Mod, you will also need write access in '..\text'.
- If you're using CLEO, you will also need write access in your game's main directory.
- GTA SA v2 has restricted modding abilities and needs to be downgraded before you can switch scripts.
- You can still use this program no matter whichever version of GTA SA you run, because all this program does is copy script files around. If your game won't run after this it could be due to your script files being incompatible with your game.
- You don't *have* to use *all* the possible options - just ignore all instructions for folders/files you are not going to use. If you pick an unexisting selection in the menu by mistake, you'll get an error message and your currently installed scripts will remain unaltered.
- The CLEO toggle is not a clean (un-)install routine; all it does is rename the file cleo.asi to cleo.asi.bup and back. This seems to do the trick for me.
- The currently installed scripts are determined via file compare with the contents of your '..\data\script\v1', 'v2', etc folders. Be careful to put the right scripts into the right folder, otherwise you'll get inaccurate information.
- Make backup copies of all your different version script files!!!
- Make backup copies of '..\text\american.gxt' if you're using the spaceeinstein mod)!!!
- Make a backup copy of '..\cleo.asi' if you're using the CLEO library!!!
- Make sure you have write access in the folders specified above in the first 3 paragraphs of 'Basics'.
- Go to your GTA SA script folder (e.g. 'C:\Program Files\GTA San Andreas\data\script').
- In there create subfolders called 'v1', 'v2', 'hc' & 'sp' (all file & folder names without ' ' of course).
- Put the script files ('main.scm' and 'script.img') of v1 into the subfolder 'v1', those of v2 into subfolder 'v2' and those of Hot Coffee into subfolder 'hc'.
- Put all the files of the spaceeinstein mod ('main.scm', 'script.img' and 'american.gxt') into the subfolder 'sp'.
- Unzip 'sa_scriptchange.bat' to any convenient location.
- Make sure your scriptchanger is not running and simply overwrite your old 'sa_scriptchange.bat' with the new one.
- If you're updating from pre v0.6 and using the CLEO library: Make a backup copy of '..\cleo.asi' and make sure you have write access in the game's main folder.
- Replace the contents of your '..\data\script\sp' folder.
- Switch to spaceeinstein.
- You can leave this version of the scriptchanger running while you do this.
- You'll be told which version of the Spaceeinstein mod you're running.
- Double-click 'sa_scriptchange.bat', make your choice & press [Enter]. That's basically it.
- For multiple script swaps you can leave this program running in the background while playing, but always make sure the game itself isn't running when you change the scripts .
use at own risk ...yaddayadda... comes as is ...bleh... no warranties ...blurp... etc...
...and make those backups first
• start GTASA from within the script switcher
• new routine to determine the installed scripts
• label file not needed anymore, old one(s) will be deleted
• added CLEO toggle (disable/enable if installed)
• enabled changing to a script version the program thinks is already installed
• updated Spaceeinstein routine to support multiple versions of the mod
• currently supported versions: v2.6 --> v3.0
• content of label file gives exact installed version
• reversed the formatting of the text output to pre-0.41 (liked it better after all)
• updated Spaceeinstein support to v2.8
• very minor change in the formatting of the text output (blank line shoving, basically)
• changed the way the game's path will be read from the registry (dropped using the GUID due to rare bug reports and Wolf68k's invaluable input)
• updated support for Spaceeinstein's All In One Mod to the current version v2.6
• overhauled instructions incl. a few comments on updating, Win2K, Vista, write access & modding of SA v2
• added Spaceeinstein's All In One Mod (v1.7.1) as a possible selection; existing '..\text\american.gxt' will be backuped to '..\text\american.orig.gxt'
• program will run in a loop until you exit
• complete structural overhaul, hopefully makes future extensions easier to work in
• changed location of the label file (see instructions); changed extension of label file to .ini; old label files will automatically be converted
• label file is no dummy anymore but will be read to find out the currently installed game scripts
• paths will be automatically read from the windows registry - no more manual editing of the file
• a few security checks added - e.g. your installation will not be changed if you select Hot Coffee but don't have those script files
• to Wolf68k for priceless help (especially with the registry stuff) and for mirroring the downloads,
• to Plaka for pinning this topic and providing a download mirror,
• to DrSnuggles for webspace,
• to hmvartak for suggesting the 'Start Game' feature
• to OrionSR for coding help and testing
• and to all those testing, using & feedbacking.
As usual: Feel free to comment & improve & expand to cover more mods etc...