Photo

Unless this is set in the 80s...

26 replies to this topic
jrt
  • jrt

Me Against The World

• Members

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:05 PM

Do you think it'll lose the Vice City vibe? I mean the pink neon lights will seem a bit strange in the 90s/70s but on the other hand, setting it in the 80s may make it seem to much like VC.

Opinions?

Thunder Jolt
  • Thunder Jolt

= Sindaccos =

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:14 PM

I see where you are coming from.

Of course, the main thing that brought glammer to the scene of Vice City was the fact that the game is set in the '80s. I guess you'd just have to speculate what Florida is like in real life right now and put it into computer game sort of view, if you get what I am saying. Only time will tell though, I guess. This never really came accross me until I saw this topic...

HiDefAmp
  • HiDefAmp

Prankster

• Members

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:14 PM

I'd like to see a grittier version of Vice City. Setting it in the 80s would feel alot like VC mabye late 70s or early 90s.

TenaciousD.
  • TenaciousD.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:17 PM

id like modern day VC, with alot of the art decoish buildings run down and borded up.

edisoncarter
  • edisoncarter

Goon

• Members

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:19 PM

The pink script font of "Vice City Stories" in the logo wouldn't fit if they go grittier. Besides, the whole city was built for that Miami Vice 80's vibe that a lot of people like. I don't think they could/would/should take that out of it.

Rown
  • Rown

weltvolkzeit

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:22 PM

I'm feeling a 1989 setting. It'll keep with the standard of a three year gap between games. That or 1983 would have the same effect.

I see no reason to change up the theme too much... it just won't be Vice

Rown rampage_ani.gif

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:46 PM

i think it would be good if you took over a young sonny forelli, or a young tommy vercetti and the storyline could be how tommy ended up in jail, that will be cool, tho it will be in the 70s probally then

adamcs
  • adamcs

Pixelante

• United-Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2006 - 12:00 AM

Didn't Tom Sizemore get jailed for using a prosthetic penis to fake a urine sample for a drug test? That's what Yahoo! are claiming, at least.

If that's true, then I doubt we'll be seeing much of Sonny Forelli in Vice City Stories... tounge.gif

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 May 2006 - 12:06 AM

I don't think the original Vice City vibe will ever return. When Vice City came out it was one-of-a-kind. Dead sexy.

Mcfly-fishing
  • Mcfly-fishing

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:39 AM Edited by Mcfly-fishing, 11 May 2006 - 01:42 AM.

I think it might be just a few years before or after the events in Vice city similar to how LCS took place but a few years from GTA3.

I'll only care about this game if it meets either of these conditions:

1. Online Multiplayer

2. Edisoncarter sneaks into it and somehow makes another CD with extra memory and every cheat from the old CD works for the new. (probably impossible, I know..)

cat33
  • cat33

Thug

• Members

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:01 AM

Vice City being in the 80's is what made Vice City great. If they changed that Vice City just wouldnt be the same

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:25 AM

Oh even though I've never been to Miami I am sure it still has a similar vibe with all its neon signs, pink and blue building etc still being there. I do agree that 80's Miami has a certain charm but I can still see Vice City working in a more modern time. I would prefer it to stay 80's so either late 80's or early 80's. Heck I reckon a late 70's could work too.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 11 May 2006 - 04:48 AM

If it's set much earlier than 1986, some weapons would either have to be changed or there would be a lot of anachronisms...of course, there'll still be M-16's and AK's. icon14.gif

I call 1983 for the time period, if only because LCS was set three years before GTA3.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 11 May 2006 - 04:57 AM

I actually think that r* will reverse that 3 years before effect to a 3 years after, cuz if they kept it 3 years before, they wouldnt be staying true to making the game totally original. its already half used from the name "vice city stories". but i reckon that theyll keep the name for "san andreas stories" later on.........

TruXter
  • TruXter

retXurT

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:00 AM

axle rose (tommy the nightmare smith) anounced on g4 that he would be releasing his long awaited chinese democracy album sometime in the fall.... wich of course falls inline with vcs... wich might mean guns and roses might take place of love fist and we might get our hands on some of the music he says is "music from the first album before guns and roses was guns and roses"

wich brings me to my next beleife, 1979-1984 area of hopes, back when glam was glitter lace and lipstick, before it was leather 10 times the amount of hairspray..im ready to play that dude that you helped take off onthe boat about mid game.. the dude from the shipping docks missions.. the guy you did not kill. mercadie's dad

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:55 AM

Setting it in '89 will work in GnR's "Appetite" material once again, as well as Rockstar "consultant" Mike Patton of Faith No More fame.

Can FNM's "From Out Of Nowhere" make it onto yet another videogame after appearing numerous times on sports games made by a company based in San Mateo, California that I won't mention by name here?

The-end
  • The-end

It's time to go home

• Members

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:41 AM

QUOTE (edisoncarter @ May 10 2006, 21:19)
The pink script font of "Vice City Stories" in the logo wouldn't fit if they go grittier. Besides, the whole city was built for that Miami Vice 80's vibe that a lot of people like. I don't think they could/would/should take that out of it.

Yeah the logo fits the 80's and Florida very well, and after seeing them not change it, i think they will stick wih the 80's smile.gif

ChrisNorthInGer
  • ChrisNorthInGer

Mentally Unstable

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:12 AM

I think that it has to be the set in the 80's though I must admit that it would be cool to see a city in a different time period. Maybe like liberty in the 70's or San Andreas in 2008. But if it is in the 80's I hope that it before 1986 for some reason. I also hope that the cheat device is available somehow possibly a way around the 2.7 patch even though it has been said to be impossible. But I didn't think that what we have now was possible either right? Anyway maybe even R* will leave it to 2.6 software but possibly sony won't let them. This is just thinking aloud as I don't know much about this. By the way this is my longest post ever!

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:07 AM

i just thought i dont think tommy will be back in it unless they change the voive of him because the the first guy that done tommy will be asking even more money this time

VCNMaverick
  • VCNMaverick

GTA addict

• Members

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:58 PM

All I'm wondering is, how can we play Vice City without Tommy or all those incredible songs on the original soundtrack? I mean, I'm sure they won't use the same songs, so it just won't feel right. No more speeding through VC with "Bark At The Moon" or "Too Young To Fall In Love" blaring on the radio. sad.gif

DJDJ
  • DJDJ

Freelance Assassin.

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:04 PM

Vice, Vice, Baby.

Well VC reminded me of scarface (well duh) and as i sadi elsewhere, LCS was set before 3, so perhaps VCS will be set before VC...?
I'd certainly like to see a varied map, maybe with some sort of mass transit seeing as VC is big. Neon lights, sunny beaces...that what made VC, so they cant loose that, althoguh the West is Grotty and run down, the East is beautiful....varyation i think would pay off...

Ray Liotta...well if theres ever a voice so suited to GTA its his...i lovd that charecter (tommy) and his films he plays great bad guy. Perhaps he'll have a cameo appearance, but i dnt think it'll be him:(

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (Seddo87 @ May 10 2006, 23:46)
i think it would be good if you took over a young sonny forelli, or a young tommy vercetti and the storyline could be how tommy ended up in jail, that will be cool, tho it will be in the 70s probally then

Maybe, but Sonny resides in Liberty as did Tommy until his jail time and the events of VC.

I think the only person that fits the whole GTA theme of do what you want, kill peds, steal stuff, use weapons etc is Phil. Whether it was set before or after 1986 is another question.

Rown
  • Rown

weltvolkzeit

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:39 PM

Now that I think about it... I could get use to the idea of some background character helping Diaz to the top like Tony did for Salvatore.

It could be Leo or some new character. Mr. Black (Phone Man) would have to come back though. That guy was awesome in his obscurity.

Rown rampage_ani.gif

cat33
  • cat33

Thug

• Members

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (VCNMaverick @ May 11 2006, 14:58)
All I'm wondering is, how can we play Vice City without Tommy or all those incredible songs on the original soundtrack? I mean, I'm sure they won't use the same songs, so it just won't feel right. No more speeding through VC with "Bark At The Moon" or "Too Young To Fall In Love" blaring on the radio. sad.gif

Yea good point cryani.gif no more "Turn up the Radio" "Cum on Feel the Noise"
"I Wanna Rock" or "Sunglasses at night"

Rown
  • Rown

weltvolkzeit

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:34 PM

They should have some obscure feature in the game where you get "Retro Radio". If the game is set in 1989 it would play the songs from 1986.

Maybe getting to a certian point will let you gain the radio station or something as an asset and they have recordings of all the old songs. Then you could choose them to play.

Or maybe they would have previews of upcoming songs that you could access after gaining said asset.

That would be cool.

Rown rampage_ani.gif

VCNMaverick
  • VCNMaverick

GTA addict

• Members

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:40 PM

^Awesome idea. I guess you could also buy the VC soundtrack and rip the songs onto the custom tracks folder, but it wouldn't be the same without the radio bumpers and DJ banter. cryani.gif

TheDude5000
  • TheDude5000

Soak of the year!

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:40 AM

It's still the 80's, come on! Metal Health came out in '83, so hopefully we'll get some stuff from that album. I agree that VC Stories should take place in the 80's, though. Cause honestly, not many people want to play in a present day Miami, it's pretty crappy now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users