Photo

openGTA petition

20 replies to this topic
infinityxi
  • infinityxi

GTADS Developer

• Members

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:12 AM

In the past week or so a petition I put up, after an idea came to me from a friend about asking rockstar to open their source code, has gotten a lot of support so far. As I am typing this on these forums, there are about 354 signatures on there. Whether you believe this will work or not, show your support for this and we can see where it goes from there.

To: Rockstar Games

This petition is asking that Rockstar games open source to their long since abandonware GTA1 and GTA2. Rockstar games has released these games for free in recent years, however I believe it would benefit the modding community and topdown GTA ethusiasts if the source were released. Creating enhancements such as improving gameplay physics, weapons, and netcode could be a start and would show the GTA community contributing back and showing their support for old favorites.

Sincerely,

Your Name Here

To Sign the petition Click Here

Brought to you by the good folks from GTADS

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:47 PM

When I clicked "Preview your Signature" I got an error:
CODE
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at pol1.artifice.com Port 80

infinityxi
  • infinityxi

GTADS Developer

• Members

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:54 PM

Yeah try it later on, I got the same thing this morning. Seems like they are just as reliable as SourceForge.

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:10 AM

Ah, i saw this over at TheGTAPlace, i've already signed the petition. Should be good if all goes well. icon14.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:50 AM

Tried signing again and it worked. smile.gif

QUOTE (My Comment)
GTA1/2 are available for free and are very old technology.  Open sourcing them could help to keep GTA PC players interested for GTA4?
Worth a shot...

Faze
  • Faze

Somewhat Legendary

• Members

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:57 PM

signed

Informant X
  • Informant X

Liberty City Informant

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:31 PM

Why not just create a game thats better from scratch? Just imagine it, you could add all the great features that you want. icon14.gif

infinityxi
  • infinityxi

GTADS Developer

• Members

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:11 PM

Someone COULD create something from scratch but it couldn't hurt to build and borrow. I mean look how the Doom derivatives came out? I mean there are a lot of fans of the 1st and 2nd GTA and would just like to see enhancements for newer PCs, perhaps a better multiplayer while keeping everything GTA. I think there are some slow moving projects that can be charactized as GTA:Clones on Sourceforge.

hypersnegl
  • hypersnegl

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:23 PM

Yeah the classic doom comunity really rocks, it would be amazing for this to happen with gta

infinityxi
  • infinityxi

GTADS Developer

• Members

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:40 AM

Any more takers to the petition before I sent it out?

INT 03
  • INT 03

Breakpoint

• Members

Posted 23 August 2006 - 02:08 PM

Are there any news so far?

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE (INT 03 @ Aug 24 2006, 00:08)
Are there any news so far?

Yeah, i was just thinking the same thing the other day, it's been a few months now, there must be some news on where it gotten by now confused.gif .

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:25 AM Edited by Sektor, 14 September 2006 - 02:09 PM.

Last I checked, Steven hasn't sent the petition to rockstar yet. There are lots of fake names and a few duplicates. The list isn't in a printer friendly format either.

INT 03
  • INT 03

Breakpoint

• Members

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:17 PM

Hm there still seem to be no news so far.

Maybe someone should simply write an email to Rockstar asking if they release the source code of GTA 1/2.

I can't imagine that such a petition influences the decisions made by Rockstar. If someone asks for the code and Rockstar is of the opinion that it wouldn't hurt if the code was released to the public, they will probably do it without asking for a petition with thousands of signatures.

If Rockstar doesn't want to release the code because they use 3rd party libraries (e.g. graphics engine) or because they believe that releasing the code would hurt the company or the game itself, a petition won't make them think different.

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (Sektor @ Aug 30 2006, 15:25)
Last I checked, Steven hasn't sent the petition to rockstar yet. There are lots of fake names and a few duplicates. The list isn't in a printer friendly format either.

Well if there fake names on there, thats not gonna help us one bit confused.gif . But if he hasn't sent it, then we need to. Or at least restart it in a better format. icon14.gif .

silvermanblue
  • silvermanblue

Magnets=Miracles

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:22 AM

*Signed* *Drinks a beer at work* Good luckk icon14.gif

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:13 AM

Looks like the old 'online petition' idea has failed us again. Nothing new I take it, no update?

INT 03
  • INT 03

Breakpoint

• Members

Posted 05 December 2006 - 02:44 PM

But why don't we ask without creating a petition (like I said in my previous post in this thread):
QUOTE (INT 03)

Hm there still seem to be no news so far.

Maybe someone should simply write an email to Rockstar asking if they release the source code of GTA 1/2.

I can't imagine that such a petition influences the decisions made by Rockstar. If someone asks for the code and Rockstar is of the opinion that it wouldn't hurt if the code was released to the public, they will probably do it without asking for a petition with thousands of signatures.

If Rockstar doesn't want to release the code because they use 3rd party libraries (e.g. graphics engine) or because they believe that releasing the code would hurt the company or the game itself, a petition won't make them think different.

gta_maniac
  • gta_maniac

|mAnIaC|fOrEvEr|

• Members

Posted 26 December 2006 - 02:27 PM

I like the idea of having the original GTA, London and GTA2 as open source, it would make for new ideas and new enthusiasm for the top-down original fans. Maybe the petition method has some flaws because you can sign multiple times and fake identites is another problem.

Maybe multiple fans of these games sending well written e-mails to Rockstar saying that they wish to have the source of these games in order to open up new modding stuff with it or even asking if Rockstar have any ideas of ever releasing a new top notch top-down GTA game for us fans would make for a better idea smile.gif

infinityxi
  • infinityxi

GTADS Developer

• Members

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:48 PM

I was thinking of the same thing but everyone should step it up from an email. An Email is easily ignored. It may be a step up from a crappy online petition which I admit the petition site was. It did, however, show that there is interest from the community for opening GTA's source code. Even if half of those "signatures" were faked it is still a good amount of people. Now I think if you want to get a response or at least make a dent into Rockstar's consideration you and everybody else interested should mail a type written letter to rockstar. A letter is worth 100 emails and it will show there there is in fact a face behind the letter. Also the letter should contain your involvement or enthusiasm in GTA and/or the GTA community, why you believe there should be an open GTA1/2. How will it benefit the community? and above all else keep the letter friendly and non confrontational. We may not get as many people as the petition showed but each well written letter will be looked upon as more important than an email. It will show that whomever sent it took the time out to write a well thought out interest in opening the source of GTA1 and 2. I'm writing mine, how about the rest of you guys?

Here is the address if you are interested:

Take-Two Interactive Games
622 Broadway
New York, NY 10012

We have nothing to lose except postage. smile.gif

squaredb
  • squaredb

sleeping with a sneer

• Members

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:13 AM

I sign. Try try again. Sign me up on the petition and open the source already! wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users