Quantcast

» «
Photo

[REL] Locoshops

5 replies to this topic
locO G
  • locO G

LocO by name... But keeping an even keel.

• Members

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:18 PM Edited by locO G, 09 May 2006 - 06:47 PM.

My second lot finished. I had done a lot of work on it over the past few weeks. I didn't do it in four days!
Download

user posted image

Edit:09/05/06
Thanks again to Gforce who pointed out a mistake in my release. It's now resolved.
I honestly don't know how it happened (less haste, more speed perhaps).

Wish list: I always download any file I've posted, to check for file corruption (I know it can happen), but I wish I had two PCs capable of running GTA-SA so I could use one for development and the other for testing.

I'm truly sorry if anyone downloaded this mod prior to this edit and wasted any time trying to figure out what was wrong.

Yet again many thanks to Gforce.

Edit:09/05/06 (later)

The .COL problem has been sorted. Thanks to aad.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:44 PM

Sweet, 'tis a great lot. Looking forward to more work from you smile.gif

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Members

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:11 PM

I dont want to spoil the fun again of your amazing looking lot but here i am again that i have found a small bug now it isnt a invisable wall but more likely a hole in the ground a bit irritating when u are tresspassing your lot tounge.gif

user posted image

Its somewhere around there exact location is a bit unknow it more seems that there is a face deleted a bit triangled hole it is.

I hope you fix this soon enough just let it know by posting happy.gif

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:17 PM

I dont want to spoil the fun again of your amazing looking lot but here i am again that i have found a small bug now it isnt a invisable wall but more likely a hole in the ground a bit irritating when u are tresspassing your lot

Sorted it. The download link has been updated.
Thanks for pointing it out I was too busy flying around on the jet pack in search of a mid-air invisible wall to notice the gigantic pit-trap.

These .COL files are a total pig.

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Members

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:48 PM

What i do most of the times just check the wireframes for and suspecius stuff that can cause invisable walls but u did a good job i will test the updated coll later on. And i really think that im the magic man with my lot had not bugs till what so ever biggrin.gif tounge.gif Myriad is really filling up nicely and by the think of it im thinking of filling up the Centre of GTI since i still have some stuff lying around here that has never been used for ages so maybe its time for the return of my offices , shops and appartment, and maybe my unused parking lot

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:10 AM Edited by locO G, 10 May 2006 - 12:59 PM.

An overly long reply...

What i do most of the times just check the wireframes for any suspecius stuff that can cause invisable walls

What modelling software do you use (I assume it's 3ds Max or G Max with Kam's scripts)?

I'm very meticulous with my modelling (always have been), no unnecessary geometry (or so I thought), welding together all vertices (which I now realise really buggers me up when it comes to fixing the .COL files and creating .LODs), just import one of my lots into Max and take a look.

I think now that this was my downfall.

Almost all of my invisible walls (.COLs of doom) Have been caused by legitimate faces and not rogues.

Here's an example.

Here is a very (very) basic building.
user posted image

One way to model this is one bottomless box on top of another.

user posted image
The hightlighted poly being the two top faces of the lower box.
This generates 20 faces.

Here's how I've always (meticulously) modelled in 3ds Max.
user posted image

This generates 26 faces (6 more faces).

It seems to me that, almost always, it's faces (polys) such as these which create the .COL of doom.
user posted image

Here's a real world (sic) example.

On this very lot I had an invisible wall here...
user posted image

...and after wrestling for a very long time, deleting this and that from the .COL to try and pin it down, I found it (them) here, across the street.
user posted image

What can I say, sometimes the longest way round is the shortest way home.

I hope I've explained this well enough for everyone to understand, I'm no teacher.
If I were, I'd post this in a 'generic, non-MI modding tutorial' topic and not here.

JasonB:
Warning: I'm not so sure that the causes of the invisible .COLs of doom are solely confined to vertices which share the same Z location, They may well be X or Y.
The game engine doesn't seem to like thin slithers for .COL faces, if that makes any sense.

Sometimes they create a small localised wall, other times, the wall is impenetrable across the entire lot. Sometimes removing suspected rogues in Colleditor2 makes the problem worse. I know no more than you.
It was never this hard for me in VC.

Wish list: If only we had access to those Rockstar custom Max plug-ins, I'm sure that they didn't have this problem (for 'problem' read 'nightmare').

Myriad is really filling up nicely and by the think of it im thinking of filling up the Centre of GTI since i still have some stuff lying around here that has never been used for ages so maybe its time for the return of my offices , shops and appartment, and maybe my unused parking lot

Do it!
The more we do, the more we do!
MI-train aside, we can always go back and fix something.
We can't always tell if there's anything wrong with our lots until we've released them, we as authors, do become blind through overseeing (sic) woods and trees and all that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users