» «
Photo

Does Myriad have a future?

72 replies to this topic
BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:43 PM Edited by Cerbera, 20 April 2006 - 06:59 PM.

Some wise words in this topic. smile.gif

While the railway is being built, illCOM lots can be developed and completed. MIVC cars can be converted to MISA (maybe GTAuron or SeaNorris could start at thread to co-ordinate that?). GTi continues to develop in the background. The development of the railway and illspirit's research into GTASA lighting isn't stopping people from doing work.

JB, illy and I often talk about the railway over MSN and develop it in the background. Although illspirit isn't particularly visible on the forums, he is very much involved behind the scenes since the big decisions come down to him. He's committed to building the railway across the Northern islands and lighting the landscape.

Gforce has shown that MI can be brought into SA so lot owners could start preparing their buildings for SA. AleXXX's recent release of his lot for GTASA shows that work can still be produced. A lot of illCOM lots aren't completed yet, so their owners can continue building them and release them for SA.

By the time all the existing lots have been made compatible with 3DS Max 6 or lower, the railway should be done and the lighting solution should have been found. Then we can gather up all the completed lots which are going into the SA version, let illspirit run the prelighting for them (lucky him!) and then make the first MISA release. The lot boundaries of the Northern islands will then be known, so people could start requesting lots and building on it.

So, car makers can be converting the MIVC cars to MISA and lot makers can be importing MIVC buildings into 3DS Max. Converting files is very time consuming but the GTASA engine is the future of MI.

(EDIT) Modders are always ambitious and sometimes bite off more than they can chew. We should not let any modders spread themself too thinly so they can concentrate on one or two high quality projects at a time.

(EDIT2) Updated to include Steve's point about Max format.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:01 PM

Actually, there is no need to convert buildings to SA, since they'll have to be imported into Max for prelighting anyway. And then they'll be exported to SA format all at once. Would be more useful if someone could import them, make them working properly with Max (6 or lower), get the textures right, and such things. Also we (still) need some ideas how to use the object ID# space.

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Members

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:04 PM

Uhm Steve-m one thing you wont notice it much when adding an not pre-lighted object to the original SA since the colfiles handle most of the light so is pre-lighting actualy usefull? cry.gif

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

(-:-)

• Members

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:18 PM

Uhm Steve-m one thing you wont notice it much when adding an not pre-lighted object to the original SA since the colfiles handle most of the light so is pre-lighting actualy usefull?

Coll-file light responds for brightness of driven objects on it (peds and cars).

Mark
  • Mark

Jesus hates you.

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:22 PM

indeed. If you want a big f*ck off shadow due to say odies f*cking huge building on the surrounding landscape, prelighting is needed tounge.gif.

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

(-:-)

• Members

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:31 PM

If you want a big f*ck off shadow due to say odies f*cking huge building on the surrounding landscape, prelighting is needed

As about a big f*ck realtime COL shadow?

SeaNorris.
  • SeaNorris.

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:13 PM

Yeah uhm, Myriad is faaar from not having a future, we're starting to get more stuff into SA such as cars, lots and stuff, so it's not dead, or going to, so erm, SOL, f*ck off, kthx.

Everything goes through a dry patch, just like this mod iswas.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:51 PM Edited by Cerbera, 20 April 2006 - 06:57 PM.

Also, the GTA scene always seems to die during Spring because kids have exams. It picks up again from the start of Summer, peaks during the holidays in August then stays pretty high through Autumn and Winter. It starts to wind down after Christmas, become lowest during March and April the next Spring.

So there will be more activity in MI over the next half year due to school and college term timetables, as well as the SA formats becoming more and more understood. smile.gif

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

Retro Modder

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:21 PM Edited by Mc-Kay, 16 May 2006 - 10:39 PM.

QUOTE (Cran. @ Apr 17 2006, 04:41)
QUOTE (JasonB @ Apr 17 2006, 21:38)
QUOTE (The Mothership @ Apr 16 2006, 23:03)
QUOTE (aad @ Apr 15 2006, 18:43)
The overall time that this project now exists is about 3 or maybe 4 years. And i really hope this mod will have an future if the members who are still believing in it just kept on modding and help converting the vice city files to san andreas the mod will get an future, the public is now just missing the lots that were in vice city. And maybe i can make a change to by developping/releasing an dev-release of the max files with the new coordinates and with Grand Tani Islands included but thats just a plan.

So what does the public think about this question.

PS: try to advertise this mod like it was when it was released at first for vice city maybe we can get the attention of the public back and get back the positive reactions back. dozingoff.gif  dozingoff.gif  dozingoff.gif

in 3 or 4 years other, bigger conversions are practically finished. with more or less people doing it. just look ant mine. we have less than 10 people doing it, but we've done loads. this entire mod is doomed to fail.

God I hate people like you, you think you are hot sh*t, and all your work is astounding, ground breaking stuff and everything else is runner up rubbish. Well I've got news for you pal, you have advantages that we didn't. You didn't have to start from nothing, and figure out how to do everything yourself, how to remove Vice, how to successfully add a new city, design new islands and split up the lots. Most of what you have is just converting old GTA games into SA, well the LC team did that with Vice, you can just take what they learned and apply it.

And before you come in here with your 'this mod is dead' crap, take a look around you, Cerb and I have put alot of hard work into the trains and it is showing, we have a lot of new work coming out of locO G and AleXXX and a lot of others, I am working hard on all my lots and island as well. Just because you don't see renders of half assed stuff everyday doesn't mean the work isn't there. So take your crap and get out.

News for you Jason: They're using Vice.

Off topic; I'm using vice for a good reason, anyhow I'd be walking on LVS's toes if I used the SA engine.

Anywho I kicked 'The Mothership' off the team for a number of reasons, The comments he made was his own only!!!!, And this makes the rest of us look very bad.

Reading the comments after TM's pointless rant, I have no idea what to say honestly, But you can't put the rest of us down because of one guy who has no idea what his walking about, besides TM does not represent our team.

@The Mothership Ooooo, I guess it's really hard to convert LC into VC when it's been done about 3 thousand times.. You've got no idea how hard it is to have to re-learn everything when a new game comes out with no help from the developer. Vice has been out for 4 years, and even then, it's sh*t easy to modify comparing to the ways of SanAn.

-> You didn't have to start from nothing, and figure out how to do everything yourself, how to remove Vice, how to successfully add a new city, design new islands and split up the lots. Most of what you have is just converting old GTA games into SA, well the LC team did that with Vice, you can just take what they learned and apply it.

I'm not trying to take anyones credit here, but also like you I've worked hard and I have been modding for along time, but who is this quate really aimed at?, TM or Me?

Quadropheniac90
  • Quadropheniac90

Confused Clown

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:12 PM

It seems that idiot (Mothership) is dragging us down with him. mad.gif This is a great mod and very much work has gone into it as has gone into our mod and others, like GTA: LC. smile.gif So, Mothership, please die. Stop embarrasing us in front of other people. dozingoff.gif

Platinum Card
  • Platinum Card

DYOM mission maker

• Members

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:02 PM

Just out of curiosity has there been any player skin texturing or even some planing for the characters of Myriad Islands? I think it would be awesome to see the story come to life as well as some videos of some actual misssions. I do remember there being some ped models like the punk ones and thats about it.

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:56 AM

I might be coming back soon. I have a brand-spanking new PC, and took a little lesson in 3DS MAX a few weeks ago. Plus, school is almost out. colgate.gif I just need to learn more about SA, as I've been playing with my old favorite mods from Vice City lately.

locO G
  • locO G

LocO by name... But keeping an even keel.

• Members

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:06 AM Edited by locO G, 30 May 2006 - 03:12 AM.

I might be coming back soon. I have a brand-spanking new PC, and took a little lesson in 3DS MAX

Please do. The more, the merrier.
3ds Max is the modelling tool for SA (plus Kam's I/O Scripts).

When the train track is finished, we'll need all hands on deck to fill those 'Northern' islands.

All Zmod users please note.
GMax is free to download over at Turbo Squid (at least it was the last time I looked).
You can still do your modelling in Zmod if you prefer, but with 'Max' you can finally get your work in game.

I've been playing with my old favorite mods from Vice City lately.

Just today I reinstalled VC, only to have a look at the 'North Point Mall' for research, and found myself playing the game for hours.
My word, GTA is good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users