72 replies to this topic
mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:12 PM

Does Myriad have a future?
(Or should we just call it a day?)

It's a question I've been asking myself for quite some time now. And the recent events (Gforce leaving GTAF and Knife leaving MI) have made it all the more topical. MI lost another two (imho) crucial motors to the MI-machine.

Please discuss... (and don't deny there's a problem).

locO G
  • locO G

LocO by name... But keeping an even keel.

• Members

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:13 PM

People getting disillusioned and leaving is always a sad thing but scrapping the whole mod not a good thing to do.
So many people have put so much into this that we owe it to ourseves to continue.
People move on but others, like myself, arrive and it carries on.
Sure things have been slow for quite some time what with SA conversion and the train, which I have to say is coming along (good work from JasonB), but I'm sure that things will start to move again spurred by AleXX's skyscraper.

I say keep it up whether it ever gets finished or not.

The Mothership
  • The Mothership

pissing off mods since 1993 :)

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:29 PM

as someone who has observed the mod from a distance, i would say no. after a few years on the vc engine, you had nothing more than a small island with some questionable buildings. now, on san andreas, you have NOTHING. how old is this project?

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Members

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:43 PM

The overall time that this project now exists is about 3 or maybe 4 years. And i really hope this mod will have an future if the members who are still believing in it just kept on modding and help converting the vice city files to san andreas the mod will get an future, the public is now just missing the lots that were in vice city. And maybe i can make a change to by developping/releasing an dev-release of the max files with the new coordinates and with Grand Tani Islands included but thats just a plan.

So what does the public think about this question.

PS: try to advertise this mod like it was when it was released at first for vice city maybe we can get the attention of the public back and get back the positive reactions back. dozingoff.gif dozingoff.gif dozingoff.gif

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:16 PM Edited by locO G, 15 April 2006 - 11:03 PM.

QUOTE (aad @ Apr 15 2006, 18:43)
And maybe i can make a change to by developping/releasing an dev-release of the max files with the new coordinates and with Grand Tani Islands included but thats just a plan.

It's a bloody good plan!. It would be a great tool to help get the old lots back in.

Lets keep this boat afloat.

Platinum Card
  • Platinum Card

DYOM mission maker

• Members

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:26 PM

I like the whole Myriad project but I also wanted to see the story along with missions come into place also. I hope that story could be incorparated into Myriad.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:33 PM

I wouldn't call this mod dead. There isn't much going on in the SA modding scene in general, of course this is reflected by a loss of interest in MI as well. The problem is (and always has been) that things aren't organized and planned well, what's a must for every collaborative project.

If I remember correctly, the bottleneck ATM are the train tracks. We wanted to finish the tracks, especially on the Northern Islands, and then prelight, split and export them properly. Same for illcom, import all existing lots, do some optimization, prelight them with the same settings as illnorth, and re-export them again. Then we'd have a proper release, and illnorth lots to give away. An I guess then interest will rise again. The problem is that this depends on only a few people, and it seems things are getting out of control.

caponester
  • caponester

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:07 AM

Rockstar put the nails in the coffin of the MI mod when it disabled modding for SA

The mod is already dead.

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:41 AM Edited by locO G, 16 April 2006 - 12:48 AM.

Quoted from your own site Caponester

Myriad Islands is a ground breaking mod, the first and only one of it's kind for any GTA game to date.

I believe it!

There has been a lot of heel kicking, I know, but the train track is being sorted and there's light at the end of the tunnel (sic).

I know that some people have bought the unmoddable version of SA is that the reason for your disillusionment?

[ak]poelwyk
  • [ak]poelwyk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:53 AM

I sincerely hope Myriad does have a future. It's been a great mod and well organised. It might take a while to complete but I doubt it will die. rahkstar2.gif rahkstar2.gif rahkstar2.gif

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 02:22 AM

Its hard to say whats going to happen without major contrubuters like Knife and Gforce. Gforce was the one converting most of the lots and work to SanAn, and Knife was doing the coding and some lot conversion. Personally, I want to keep this alive. All we need now is someone who can code, and also someone who is willing to be able to convert lots for people, i.e. me. And I think it would be possible to contact gforce and get what he's done so far. If he deletes all the Myriad files, well that's just a waste of time and very stupid.

I'll try and get in contact with him.

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 02:35 AM Edited by locO G, 16 April 2006 - 04:48 AM.

Cran.
I want to keep this alive.

I would gladly convert lots to MI-SA no problem (so long as lot owner would agree to this). I do remember reading about the coordinate change from VC to SA somewhere. (I could always work it out from the IPL files).
If Gforce can be reasoned with all the better.
aad's "plan" of a new dev kit would help us all, of this I am certain.

What ever happens we have to keep it up.

user posted image
I should have some more WIP soon.

PS. Sorry for overposting but today's develoments have really concerned me.
PPS. As a result I've worked all day on my lot (illcom_c1_r1) and intend to continue all day tomorrow as a show of defiance in the face of adversity.

Strength in the struggle and all that.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:52 AM

Well, I mean... I've got lots that I won't be able to get into SA because I use Zmod 1.07b, so we need someone to help out the people like me who cant get their lots ingame.

I emailed gforce too.

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE (Cran. @ Apr 16 2006, 04:52)
I've got lots that I won't be able to get into SA because I use Zmod 1.07b

Cran
OK. If you upload what you've got somewhere I'll convert them for you (minus LOD as I haven't got my head round it yet).

Whatever it takes.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:28 AM

QUOTE (locO G @ Apr 16 2006, 15:31)
QUOTE (Cran. @ Apr 16 2006, 04:52)
I've got lots that I won't be able to get into SA because I use Zmod 1.07b

Cran
OK. If you upload what you've got somewhere I'll convert them for you (minus LOD as I haven't got my head round it yet).

Whatever it takes.

I'll PM you the link. I'm planing on making a LOD soon.

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

(-:-)

• Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:35 AM

I'm almost sure.
But for the beginning to us is necessary completely convert VC files. All went well, there was no yet problem with Gforce. I well understand in SA mapping, therefore I can put to SA new lots, but there is one problem - my bad internet connection.
I'll continue to make new lots. And I precisely know, that we'll fill illcom! (look to PPT).
After SA-MI (with all VC converted files) release, mod will find former (even large) popularity!
The new people are already connected to us! Moreover, GTI, Necrosis and Port Forchid will not give MI to die.

JasonB
  • JasonB

GTA-SA/GTA-VC/GTA3 Modder Extraordinaire

• Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 07:21 AM

Dead, no. I personally will not let it die. I have put to much effort into this to let it die. It is no secret that progress and numbers of new members joining the project over the past year has decreased, but that is no reason to quit.

And to all you naysayers still on the 'team' who think this is dead, or think it doesn't have a hope get out, quit the project, your apathy towards the project isn't going to help. Apathy and laziness are the main problems with this project, people say it's hard work making a lot, and that it takes months. Rubbish. If I put my mind to it, I could get a lot done in under week. By the gods, I had a lot finished in 2 days. Look at the progress locO G has made in just a few days, he has made a damn impressive lot. AleXXX, even though some of his efforts have been shunned, is a rising powerhouse, and he doesn't recieve nearly enough praise. Cran is still sticking around, and he seems eager to help.

Rockstar put the nails in the coffin of the MI mod when it disabled modding for SA

The mod is already dead.

It's crap like this that gets in our way. Caponester used to be an avid supported of this mod, and now he thinks Hot Coffee is going to end this mod? Hah! If anything, I'm going to work harder now.

Long live Myriad.

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

• Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 07:33 AM

You forgot:
Knife, which the scandal with Gforce has affected (but I think all will be good) - scripter and modeller.
Mickarrow - active MI participant. Nice lot modeller.
GTAuron - almost has finished first LOT, I hope not last!
RK (now not active), but has made very large parts of lots (at Gforce).
Illspirit - heavenly modeller, but little bit lazy.
REspawn - when he will finish Necrosis Island...
And GTI team.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 07:37 AM

Yep, Myriad is far from dead. I bet that GTi has a Mission coder, and I bet there's heaps of people there that could really help us out at this time.

Directed @ GTi Members

Bring as many GTi members over here, we need all the help we can get smile.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 07:45 AM

I haven't really been following MI's development (heck, I haven't even played it), but being involved with the LC project has given me some insight into the dynamic nature of TCs.

The LC project had all but run out of puff towards November of last year - our PED converters had deserted us, and many people (including Craig, to a degree) had lost motivation for working on the mod. However, the arrival of a new member (Choofy) pretty much revitalised and re-energised the entire mod. He simply made a topic offering help in the area of modelling, and the amount of work he has done has been, well, phenomenal. But it wasn't just his physical contribution alone that was important - he inspired others to get back into development, and we'll soon (hopefully wink.gif !) be releasing Beta 2 v6, as we move closer to our final Beta. And then hopefully, we'll eventually get to the final version of the mod.

And that's how easily it can happen - sure, our PED conversion hasn't exactly taken off, but a few more have been done, and every little step is still progress.

Hopefully, someone will come along and have this sort of impact on MI, especially after the loss of 2 key members. But don't give up - as Jason put it, you've come too far now to end it.

Best of luck guys smile.gif .

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (Cran. @ Apr 16 2006, 07:37)
Yep, Myriad is far from dead. I bet that GTi has a Mission coder, and I bet there's heaps of people there that could really help us out at this time.

Directed @ GTi Members

Bring as many GTi members over here, we need all the help we can get smile.gif

I have been bussy for maybe about an hour now to get in contact with all the active GTI members at the moment for now i sended the most imporant persons of GTI an PM and im hoping they will respond to me. And since most moddelers of GTI were waiting for some stuff to pop up and hear about what happend to gti they never had watched what happend here. So i will make here a topic for the GTI members to respond to and i hope they do.

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

• Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:37 AM

I am ready for convert stayed LOTs to SA. The sole obstacle - pre-light in 3ds max 7.0 differs from 3.0.
Main, that Gforce has upload SA-MI v 0.4.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (AleXXX @ Apr 16 2006, 19:07)
I am ready for convert stayed LOTs to SA. The sole obstacle - pre-light in 3ds max 7.0 differs from 3.0.
Main, that Gforce has upload SA-MI v 0.4.

We just need him to give us what he's done, then we'll be fine.

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:46 AM

Pre-lighting isnt needed at the moment you just need to use the COLFILE editor II lightning standard for the colfiles and then everything will look alright and not much different from the original lighting of SA.

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

• Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:53 AM

Pre-lighting isnt needed at the moment you just need to use the COLFILE editor II lightning standard for the colfiles and then everything will look alright and not much different from the original lighting of SA.

NO. If there was all so simply...
Col2/3-file Light answers for brightness of object which is taking place on it (CJ, for example).

Gforce
  • Gforce

"Segregate and Rearrange" "The Hills"

• Feroci Racing
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:32 PM

YES!! this project is merely going through a slow transitional period thats all.

i have almost all of the northern half of illcom converted so far and some sections of the southern half.

i will upload an installer for you guy's in the next week or so, along with some other stuff you will need.

The Mothership
  • The Mothership

pissing off mods since 1993 :)

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 April 2006 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (aad @ Apr 15 2006, 18:43)
The overall time that this project now exists is about 3 or maybe 4 years. And i really hope this mod will have an future if the members who are still believing in it just kept on modding and help converting the vice city files to san andreas the mod will get an future, the public is now just missing the lots that were in vice city. And maybe i can make a change to by developping/releasing an dev-release of the max files with the new coordinates and with Grand Tani Islands included but thats just a plan.

So what does the public think about this question.

PS: try to advertise this mod like it was when it was released at first for vice city maybe we can get the attention of the public back and get back the positive reactions back. dozingoff.gif dozingoff.gif dozingoff.gif

in 3 or 4 years other, bigger conversions are practically finished. with more or less people doing it. just look ant mine. we have less than 10 people doing it, but we've done loads. this entire mod is doomed to fail.

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 16 April 2006 - 01:15 PM

I'm not going to get into a war about mods, but the SOL mod has a completely different aim to the Myriad project. I was going to download the SOL mod since it got put up on GTAG, but one thing that swayed me away was the repetitiveness of it. True, its good to see that a game can handle 2/3+ cities thats what makes the mod "special", but most people who Iíve spoke to about that mod said the same thing. Quite a bit of it has been recycled from GTA3/VC and then re-presented in a different way.

Myriad is a scratch made project, your project has some scratch elements, and quite a few of them haven't been created specifically for that mod (LazioFreak's work etc.). I know DS and Mc-Kay have done some scratch work, but still its a completely different mod. Still, its nice to see some arrogant member spouting on about a mod he doesnít know anything about, thanks.

Good luck getting back on track with the Myriad project.

Squiddy
  • Squiddy

Back!

• The Connection

Posted 16 April 2006 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (The Mothership @ Apr 16 2006, 14:03)
in 3 or 4 years other, bigger conversions are practically finished. with more or less people doing it. just look ant mine. we have less than 10 people doing it, but we've done loads. this entire mod is doomed to fail.

You can't compare it like that. See, you started in march last year. You didn't had to struggle with all the mission coding, mapping and other problems that occured with the changes in the vice engine, did you? Many things were done before you started. Do you use custom player models? Do you use a custom hud?
You have the luck of beeing able to build upon things others had to find out first, that's why it's a bit unfair how you speak about myriad.

And the rest GT-1 said...

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 02:24 PM Edited by Cran., 16 April 2006 - 02:30 PM.

QUOTE (Gforce @ Apr 16 2006, 23:02)
YES!! this project is merely going through a slow transitional period thats all.

i have almost all of the northern half of illcom converted so far and some sections of the southern half.

i will upload an installer for you guy's in the next week or so, along with some other stuff you will need.

Oh, thanks gforce! I'm on holidays now, so we can finally get back on track!

Off Topic: In Driver Parallel lines (2006 mode) there's a brand in the garages called "GForce". Methinks you better sue!

@The Mothership Ooooo, I guess it's really hard to convert LC into VC when it's been done about 3 thousand times.. You've got no idea how hard it is to have to re-learn everything when a new game comes out with no help from the developer. Vice has been out for 4 years, and even then, it's sh*t easy to modify comparing to the ways of SanAn.

Take your arrogant crap away from here, thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users