Photo

Copy cat trend:

6 replies to this topic
X-Seti
  • X-Seti

Retro modding.

• Feroci Racing
  • Mars

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:28 AM Edited by Mc-Kay, 21 March 2006 - 08:18 AM.

I know this thread isn't really the place for this topic, but here goes.

There seems to be a copy cat trend going on, and I only ask why?

Why do some modders choose to re-create what other modders have already started?, Could this be that some modders want to do a better job then the person who first started the original mod idea?, then again there are some who like the idea so much that they want finish the mod first, either way this is taking credit away from someone else.

For example: There is only one New York city after all, but how many times do we need to see different versions of the same mod being created, there are 4 projects bent in creating NYC right now, and why is it everyone has to jump on the same band wagon.

Arn't there any original ideas left?

I think this is the main reason why some projects seem to give up, Whats the point if someone is up your backside trying to beat you to finishing your own mod, those porting VC to the SA engine isn’t catching enough, as there is 6 teams doing just this.

Why?

If those guys teamed up (Think of what we could all do together), We could see a mod being finished, instend of some one starting something, Putting time into this for 5 or 6 months and giving up, that seems to be never ending around here.

This is one of those things that is putting me of doing the SA version of GTA: State of liberty, because I try not to trend on other people toes.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thinking about this copyright wise, I wouldn't be a good idea to amend the GTAF rules and try to stop this trend.

I know when I started modding 16 years ago, I signed upto a site and had to agree to the rules.

8, The modders code of conduct.

There are few rules to modding, It is really good old common sense, the rules with in this code of conduct are for the common good, they are only here as a guide.

1, You will always ask permission before you use content created by another modder.

2, You do not have the right to use content created by someone else, within you
    modification without their written permission.

3, When adding other Authors work (mods) to your modification, Always indicate this in
    your credits file for there good work. This goes along way to earning you respect.

4, Be respectful to other modders, even those who have a starting interest in game
    modding, Remember what it was like for you first time.

5. Before you start asking questions about modding:

a) You have a basic understanding of the operation system, ‘How to remove
    the read-only flag from a file or folder’ this is a common over site for windows
    users.

b) Your questions are clear and to the point when submitting a post on a Forum
    board or B.B.S, take care in how you ask your questions by putting in as much
    detail as possible about the problems your having with your modification.

c) Follow the rules on the modding community sites you post on, but bear in mind
    if your new to the community, when it may take time for someone to reply to
    your questions and in time get to know you.

d) You understand how to use the modding tools for the game you want to mod,
    most modding tools have a Read-me or Documentation file, but if the tool does
    not have either of these then pick another tool to use.

e) Do not Email or Contact the software companies with bug reports or problems
with your modifications, (Unless they give you consent to do so within the 
conditions they will state, allowing you to mod there software).

f) Try learning as much for yourself, before you go asking questions, as your be
    sure to get the right information.

5, You do not try and take credit for someone else’s work or make out your someone else.

6, You will seek permission before you mod any game that is copyrighted by the software
    company.

Read the E.U.L.A or Copyright license that comes with the game, and observe any
    conditions that the software company offers you in there reply.

Take note that not all companies will reply to you, or allow you to modify their games.

Example; Do not modify the exe file, Do not try and make a profit from your mod!

7, You as a modder have a responsibility to protect the software companies interests.

a) This is because you have been given permission to modify game content, and you will be accountable for your own actions.

d)  Never modify a game without the software companies permission, unless it states that you can mod in the copyright agreement.

8, Do not create mods that can be seen offensive, harmful or rude to others.

9, Try not to tread on the toes of other modding projects like re-creating the same kind of
    mod as someone else, so if someone has already has started a project you would of
    liked of have started yourself, ask to join there team and help them towards there
    project instead.

This goes on, but I guess thats enough for my nightly rant.

XcR
  • XcR

Peon

• Members

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:06 AM

Why not allow modders to work on the same idea? It encourages healthy competition and means everyone will strive to do their best, if you have no one to compete with it gets boring - fast.

I think it is also a case of people wanting to do better and customise it for their own needs. If I see an SCM mod that I like but needs something added to it, I usually recode it using spookie's SCM hook, with the feature I wanted.

I think this is the main reason why some projects seem to give up, Whats the point if someone is up your backside trying to beat you to finishing your own mod, those porting VC to the SA engine isn�t catching enough, as there is 6 teams doing just this.

Dosen't that make you want to work harder and beat the other teams? That if anything would be motivation for me.

If those guys teamed up (Think of what we could all do together), We could see a mod being finished, instend of some one starting something, Putting time into this for 5 or 6 months and giving up, that seems to be never ending around here.

That's all well and good but everyone has different ideas - I've seen it as I've worked on some multiplayer mods. Merging teams dosen't always work as everyone wants to do their own thing, but thankfully it did in the case of VC-MP and GTA:C.

Overall I think having different teams working on the same objective may not be the most efficent way of doing things but it certainly makes everyone work that bit harder. A bit of competition never hurt anyone.

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:07 AM

Whilst people may be creating similar things, in most cases their goals are completely different from one another. It would be like saying the SA-MP team and the MTA team should join together because they are both multiplayer modifications, but from what I have read their aims differ massively.

In my opinion its up to the users, if they want to join with another mod then so be it. I don't believe having a set of rules stating they must have original projects, or work together if things are similar would go down very well.

I understand what you are saying, but is it really an issue that can be solved? People usually want to put their own slant on things, I believe that bringing in a set of rules or even encouraging people to follow a set of rules similar to the ones posted would bring negativity to the modding scene.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:25 PM

You would have to ask the individual modders instead of asking a bunch of people that may not be in the know a general question. I've worked on ideas that were not new and on the flipside I've had many people express an interest in making things similar to what I've done. Why just last week I was playing Myriad for the first time and saw a mission that I was basing an entire GTA3 TC off of. By no means will I stop just because "it's been done before" because the way I was going to impliment it was going to be different. It's like anything in the world; if you think of something, that's precedent that the human mind is capable of envisioning something. With billions of them on the planet and many more in the past, it's not likely that ANY idea is truly original. No harm done.

Mr Killer
  • Mr Killer

Upside-down circle

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (Mc-Kay @ Mar 21 2006, 17:28)
For example: There is only one New York city after all, but how many times do we need to see different versions of the same mod being created, there are 4 projects bent in creating NYC right now, and why is it everyone has to jump on the same band wagon.

For your information, my mod is the only NYC mod. The other, is NY. No, I did not copy the idea. I got inspired to make the mod after my trip to New York in February with my girlfriend. There will be different storyline missions in comparison the the older version and different vehicles, characters and weapons. IMO, if you don't like my mod than you can just get lost.

But I tend to agree with you with direct copying. Say someone makes a mod and someone releases one that is EXACTLY THE SAME but with a different texture or something. Yeah, then I agree with you.

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

Retro modding.

• Feroci Racing
  • Mars

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:30 AM Edited by Mc-Kay, 24 March 2006 - 08:36 AM.

QUOTE (Mr Killer @ Mar 23 2006, 01:05)
QUOTE (Mc-Kay @ Mar 21 2006, 17:28)

For your information, my mod is the only NYC mod. The other, is NY. No, I did not copy the idea. I got inspired to make the mod after my trip to New York in February with my girlfriend. There will be different storyline missions in comparison the the older version and different vehicles, characters and weapons. IMO, if you don't like my mod than you can just get lost.

But I tend to agree with you with direct copying. Say someone makes a mod and someone releases one that is EXACTLY THE SAME but with a different texture or something. Yeah, then I agree with you.

@Mr Killer - Peace:

1, I did not say you was copying anyone.
2, I did not say, that I did not like your mod.
3, I've read your thread and you seem to have some nice ideas. (I might have asked about in time, and maybe trade buildings)

I don't have a problem with everyone doing there own thing, I just thought it was little strange at first. (seeing alot of projects, almost doing the same thing).

I have read what everyone had to said on the matter, (XcR, GT-1 and Demarest) and I'm cool with it.

No biggie, if a little healthy competition is the order of the day, then I better work a little harder to get GTA: State of Liberty finished. smile.gif

I've been on other modding sites for most of my Modding years, I haven't really been around long enough on GTAForums to know the ropes.

I may ask this and that, but my comments here are not meant to offend anyone.

but if I have, my apologizes.

Mr Killer
  • Mr Killer

Upside-down circle

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:04 AM

Ok sorry. I thought you were saying I was copying someone else's idea. Ok peace man.

@GT1: Good point. MTA and SA-MP are both aiming for different objectives. And the more mods for SA multiplayer, then the better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users