Photo

Car Electronics Question

6 replies to this topic
Jack_Knife
  • Jack_Knife

we usually take all niggas garments

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:28 AM

With the help of my friend, I installed a new stereo into my car on the weekend. Wasn't really hard at all, and it sounds great.

However, to get a constant 12v+ line for the headunit (the old one didn't have constant power), I had to steal it from the cigarette lighter. Which means my cigarette lighter now doesn't work.

I don't really use it, but I would like to have it there incase I need it. So my question is, how can I do this? The instructions for the headunit explicity stated that the power line going to the headunit shouldn't be tapped into to power anything else, so the current rating of the wire isn't exceeded, causing overheating and DEATH.

So can I trace the line back and split it somewhere where it's safe to do so, or is this not possible (ie. it goes back to the fuse box, and it's not worth the effort?). Or can I tap into the wire without worry?

Keep in mind I'm an electronics noob.

Car is a 1981 Mazda 626.

millermagic
  • millermagic

The CCR Fan

• Members

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:09 PM

The headunit only need power when you intent to use it, either while the car is running or in acc mode.

sandrock2
  • sandrock2

Sandrock the peacful gundam

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:04 PM

Millermajic is right couldn't put it better myself but have a good look at the fusebox and have a good look at the service history about electrics and if you need any manuals on the electrics on your mazda just type in the name of your car and car manuals or blue prints.

But thats my advice tounge.gif

Jack_Knife
  • Jack_Knife

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (millermagic @ Mar 15 2006, 09:09)
The headunit only need power when you intent to use it, either while the car is running or in acc mode.

Dude, how do you think it remembers all your settings and such? That's right, constant power. Any headunit with any kind of memory function needs a constant power line to remember all your sh*t.

Go unplug your headunit and see if it remembers all your stations and settings. wink.gif

(Sorry for bump. And I don't really care anymore. I've been doing fine with the cig lighter. Just wanted to correct miller.)

fuckindumass
  • fuckindumass

Pissing the night away

• Members

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:24 AM

So how do pullouts retain memory? Internal battery? I suppose not all radios have batteries included. Hitting up the fuse box is the right way to go, auto parts stores sell blade connectors that crimp on your wire and slide right in the slot biggrin.gif If you don't have a crimper, just stop in a repair shop somewhere, I'm sure they'll be happy to crimp it on for you. Otherwise, just splice into the wire for the lighter socket, if this is really only for memory, the current draw will not be noticable. Just don't go with a larger fuse and you won't die. If you end up blowing the fuse, then redo it right.
Also consider a 'fusable link' if you fear wire meltdown. In a safe spot near the start of your power connection, splice in a half inch or so of wire a couple gauges smaller. If there is a problem, that small section will melt apart, and the current flow will stop.

Edit. Of course, after I post, I see that this is an old thread and already solved. lol

stretch.
  • stretch.

30% of the time, we deliver all the time!

• Members

Posted 02 April 2006 - 01:54 PM

I would think that a lot of pullout units would use a form of non volitile memory, such as you find in flashsticks. it's only need to be in the KB's to remember your presets.

As for your headunit, anychance you could use the the non constant power cable for your stock unit. But that's just a random stab in the dark.

Jack_Knife
  • Jack_Knife

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 04 April 2006 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (stretch. @ Apr 2 2006, 23:54)
As for your headunit, anychance you could use the the non constant power cable for your stock unit. But that's just a random stab in the dark.

Car is from '81, the stock headunit didn't have constant power. It's old school. tounge.gif

Thanks for the replies though. If I ever get around to pulling my dash apart again I'll probably just hook the cigarette lighter up to the same wire and see if I can't blow a fuse. tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users