Quantcast

» «
Photo

Material Editor / Textures for Zmodeler (1)

3 replies to this topic
DeathSquad
  • DeathSquad

CEO DeathSquad Industries

• Members

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:37 AM

Material Editor / Textures for Zmodeler (1)
By. Deathsquad Industries
Deathsquad Industries Homepage

[ INTRO ]

After doing a quick search of the GTA Forums, I found there was no direct tutorial for material mapping in Zmod (1). I'm sure at one time there was one, but has been swept away in time due to lack of posting. So for anyone who hasn't figured out how to texture, and or missed the first one, have a go with my tutorial.

[ STEP 1 ]

First you need a model of some kind, for the tutorial we'll go with the everyday cube, seen below. You will also need some images to use as a texture. You can get them directly from the TXD files found in the GTA Games, or use images of your own.

user posted image

Texture Images need to be a certain dimension. 64x64 is technically the lowest sized image used in any of the three GTA games (GTA III). 128x128 and 256x256 are common, 512x512 and 1024 are not so common. The larger the picture, the higher quaility of the texture. A brick wall with only 64x64 textures may look nice, but with a 1024x1024 texture you could see the very atoms of the bricks.

user posted image

Finally your texture image must be saved as one of two picture formats, Bitmap (*.bmp) or Truevision Targa (*.tga). I prefer using the TGA over Bitmap, but it doesn't make any difference really. We now have our model and texture pictures, lets get to work.

[ STEP 2 ]

In your zmod program, type E to bring up the Material Editor. This will bring up a window that will show you all textures avaiable, including a generic shape that will show you the texture. There will be no textures at this point, so lets add one.

user posted image

Hit the COPY button, this will create a second <default material> in your pull down menu of textures. Select the second one. Then on the bottom of the window, check PRIMARY TEXTURE. Then click LOAD MAP. The following window will show you all available textures that have been loaded into this project, including textures not seen in the pull down menu.

From here you will start to add your texture files. Click ADD, find the folder that you saved your texture files in, and select a texture. For this project, I pick a metal texture. Click ok, and you shall return to the Material Editor window. In the NAME section near the top of the window, replace it with the name of your file, as I have (metal.tga) Click ok again to close the material editor.

[ STEP 3 ]

In the top button bar of Zmod click on the FACES button, then click on your model.

user posted image

From here you must select (turn red) the faces of the model you wish to texture. Select only the faces you can see in a certain window, you cannot texture an entire object at once, unless it is flat. If you do, certain faces will have a "stretched" look, which will result in lines as if you were viewing the texture from its side. Select only the faces you can see.

user posted image

If you do not have one of your view windows set to UV MAPPER, do it now. Once you have your faces selected, type E to enter the Material Editor (or click the orange ball shape button on the top menu). Select your material from the pull down menu on the top. Click the ASSIGN TO SELECTION button, then OK to close the Material Editor. The selected faces of the model will turn a different shade of color (under the red highlight color). We are not done yet.

user posted image

user posted image

[ STEP 4 ]

On the side menu, click on SURFACE->MAPPING->ASSIGN UV. Then click on the highlighted part of your model. If everything is well, texture should appear on your model, and the UV Mapper Window should have a picture of the texture in that blank square, and a wire mesh model of the faces you have selected.

user posted image

On the top menu click the OBJECTs button, then on the side menu you may use the different modify tools to move the texture around. Click on move, then move the wire mesh around while watching your 3d View for an example of how moving the wire mesh around changes the texture. Repeat Step 3 on the other faces to texture them the same, or step 2 to add new textures. And that is how you texture in Zmod(1).

user posted image

cj360
  • cj360

• Members

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:31 PM

How do you make the cube in part 1? Probably a dumb question but I new to zmodeler.

Wikus
  • Wikus

GTA Tales of Vice city leader and GTA Virus Alert texturer

• Members

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:05 PM

Thanks man the tutorial is really good i cannot find it for sh*t
And about how to make a cube you have to click sel mul at the buttom menu underneth the objects.Clikck at blue cube at the right of the window and just click
once where do you want to put ceter an just hold the mouse and choouse the size do that in front window or i am not really sure,front,right,back think is that.
If you dont understan take a look at rebbel 6 tutorial i lerned there

momoseport
  • momoseport

M-ENB Creator

• Members

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

Hey cool topic,
But can you maybe re-uppload the pictures, cuz they died confused.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users