Photo

city sizes vs 3d series sizes

7 replies to this topic
bluejeans
  • bluejeans

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:16 PM

To me, it seems like gta1 city sizes are bigger than any one city in any of the 3d series of games, even SA cities. Also, you seem to travel faster in gta1, covering more ground than in cars in the sequels, so I really get the impression that this is so. Is it true, or is the old skool 2d rendering just fooling me into thinking the maps/cities are bigger?

Gimpy666
  • Gimpy666

Goodfella # 1

• Members

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:16 PM

It's fooling ya... well... in my opinion anyways.

San Andreas Paramedic Unit 1
  • San Andreas Paramedic Unit 1

EMS Unit 1

• Members

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:08 AM

I highly doubt that it is bigger than any of the other 3D ones, but it also has the feeling of too fast...

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:04 PM

There is a GTA Modding article about units, which includes the sizes of some GTA environments. The 2D games cover about one square kilometer but the 3D games cover a lot more. In the 3D games most of the area is taken up by water, but they still have more land than the 2D games. smile.gif

Faze
  • Faze

Somewhat Legendary

• Members

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE (bluejeans @ Feb 22 2006, 15:16)
Also, you seem to travel faster in gta1, covering more ground than in cars in the sequels

Perhaps the reason for the quick speed in GTA1 has to be the graphics quality. GTA1 was top-down, so it runs faster then that of the 3D games. Also you didnt have much for rough terrain. In the 3D GTAs, you had plenty of roadbumps which can flip your car over in a millisecond.

All GTA had for hazards were: Stationary objects, walls, other vehicles, lower terrain.

kmg90
  • kmg90

Video games enthusiast

• Members

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:05 PM Edited by kmg90, 03 April 2006 - 11:07 PM.

QUOTE (gtagaming.com/topdown/gta1/features)
Over 6000 miles of Roads, Freeways, Alleyways, and Dead Ends in 3 immense cities

Hmmm I wonder if there is some box art of the game where they have the features on so we can verify this rampage_ani.gif rampage_ani.gif rampage_ani.gif rampage_ani.gif rampage_ani.gif rampage_ani.gif

Direct!
  • Direct!

joker, toker, midnight smoker

• Members

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (kmg90 @ Apr 4 2006, 01:05)
QUOTE (gtagaming.com/topdown/gta1/features)
Over 6000 miles of Roads, Freeways, Alleyways, and Dead Ends in 3 immense cities

Hmmm I wonder if there is some box art of the game where they have the features on so we can verify this rampage_ani.gif rampage_ani.gif rampage_ani.gif rampage_ani.gif rampage_ani.gif rampage_ani.gif

It's a rough estimate. Don't worry.

oipolloi
  • oipolloi

I say XD too much, just ignore it

• Members

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:35 AM

There are more roads in the originals, the cities are "packed in". Also the really fast cars are really really exaggeratedly fast. I bet if you did some fiddling about with scales and complicated equations you'd find the cop cars go like 200mph XD. As for actual size though, if you tried to re-make GTA3 in GTA you'd probably only fit in Portland and a tiny bit of Staunton before running out of room

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users