Photo

Gilles Peterson : Worldwide

16 replies to this topic
OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 16 February 2006 - 01:54 PM

Worldwide is a radio show fronted by old school acid house DJ Gilles Peterson, whos a bloody legend. I was introduced to his talent by some of the older heads from my area in the mid 90s, and nowadays this is the only show that I bother switching the radio on for.

Coming from what he calls the "left side" of music and dance culture, peterson was the first to introduce me to artists such as madlib, herbie hancock, mr scruff, roots manuva, osunlade, Jill scott, sa ra creative partners, amongst many others. Always dedicated to playing new and interesting music, but contrastingly some weeks involve nothing more than playing strictly old vinyl records. The show used to go out wednesday at midnight, but has recently switched to sunday night to accomodate a growing fanbase.

As good as all this will sound (to some), I very rarely meet anyone who is an avid listener, but have been lucky enough to see live shows many times.

So, obvious question, ever listen to/have heard of it?

and heres a link to listen to last Sundays slot, containing a tribute to J Dilla

worldwide

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

So who caught this on gta5?

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Hungry like the wolf

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

I gotta say I never expected to hear Peterson in GTA, or him as an actual DJ in the game.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Dressed To Kill

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

Am I alone in never having heard this guy before GTAV? Quality DJ who knows his stuff from my limited experience of him in the game. That mix of Tom Browne's Throw Down going straight into You and the Music was bliss and so clever how the horn solos folded into one.

• Ermac. likes this

Barefoot Tiger
  • Barefoot Tiger

GTAV Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

That mix of Tom Browne's Throw Down going straight into You and the Music was bliss and so clever how the horn solos folded into one.

Absolutely. Peterson has a very clever technique whereby he can segue tracks together in such a way that it is a seamless mix and so much more enjoyable than just beat mixing which is what most DJs do with 'ready to mix' dance club tracks.

He has released several compilation albums of world music where this segue technique allows for a perfect collage of astonishing sound and musical texture.

• OH NO likes this

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:08 AM Edited by OH NO, 06 April 2014 - 12:09 AM.

That mix of Tom Browne's Throw Down going straight into You and the Music was bliss and so clever how the horn solos folded into one.

Absolutely. Peterson has a very clever technique whereby he can segue tracks together in such a way that it is a seamless mix and so much more enjoyable than just beat mixing which is what most DJs do with 'ready to mix' dance club tracks.

He has released several compilation albums of world music where this segue technique allows for a perfect collage of astonishing sound and musical texture.
Great post.
  • Barefoot Tiger likes this

Barefoot Tiger
  • Barefoot Tiger

GTAV Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:31 AM

I used to listen a lot to BBC's Andy Kershaw, another great advocate of 'world music'.

Peterson is a perfectionist though. He has pledged his life to search the globe for 'the perfect beat' and when you listen to his polished presentation, you really believe that he has succeeded in his quest.

He is a musical epicure. His ear takes in more than just tune and lyric: he delights to celebrate the juxtaposition of complex rhythm and obscure harmonies in music that is a rich tapestry of astonishing talent.

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:35 AM Edited by OH NO, 06 April 2014 - 12:38 AM.

Barefoot how long you been a fan mate? Just re read ur post and just to reiterate, loved it. As someone who often rambles I love a post that just succinctly nails it.

Reason I ask how long is cos gilles has played so much quality over the years there's hundreds of tracks ill have forgotten or lost as they were so obscure, we could do each other a favour here and throw down some forgotten tracks

I got about 100 tapes in my attic of worldwide shows from 2001 onwards I need to get them onto mp3 at some point

Edit;posted this as you did yours, yeah man 'searching for the perfect beat' is worldwide in a nutshell.

You enjoy the brownswood basement sessions? Whoooo boy you feel blessed when they come around

Barefoot Tiger
  • Barefoot Tiger

GTAV Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:11 AM

Ha! I've also got boxes of dozens of cassettes by Peterson from the late 1990's onwards. Alongside early shows from Mark Radcliffe (Out On Blue Six) and Pete Tong's original Essential Selections.

So many cassettes and nothing to play them on!

• OH NO likes this

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:44 AM

Ha! I've also got boxes of dozens of cassettes by Peterson from the late 1990's onwards. Alongside early shows from Mark Radcliffe (Out On Blue Six) and Pete Tong's original Essential Selections.

So many cassettes and nothing to play them on!

The essential mix, used to be on at 2am Friday/sat' after chris gold finger?

Barefoot Tiger
  • Barefoot Tiger

GTAV Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

Back in the 1990's The Essential Selection was on BBC Radio 1 from 6pm to 9pm with a nonstop mix from 8.30pm to 9pm.

From 9pm to Midnight was Judge Jules.

Goldfinger was Midnight to 2am and the Essential Mix was at 2pm

Giles Peterson's Worldwide was originally on Wednesday night 12-2pm but was later moved to Sunday at the same times.

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

Back in the 1990's The Essential Selection was on BBC Radio 1 from 6pm to 9pm with a nonstop mix from 8.30pm to 9pm.

From 9pm to Midnight was Judge Jules.

Goldfinger was Midnight to 2am and the Essential Mix was at 2pm

Giles Peterson's Worldwide was originally on Wednesday night 12-2pm but was later moved to Sunday at the same times.

Westwood was in there at one point he had the slot before goldfinger, used to tape it all. I don't remember listening to the essential selection much but the 2am essential mix I mentioned I have vivid memories of (and still some tapes) ...artists like air (did two consecutive shows with mixes of tracks from dusty spring fields 'the look of love' to michael Jackson's 'ben' also basement jaxx did a massive set when they were new on the scene. I had a tape of Felix da house cats session with a sudden news report half way through of princess Diana being involved In a car accident, it was surreal to listen back to. Stupidly I ended up
Lending it to to this polish kid in London five years later and didn't get it back.

So yeah that was a huge show, I'm not even sure it's on now I'm sure they dropped it for a long while at least.

And yeah worldwide lost a little of its magic when it moved from that Wednesday midnight slot, I'd sit up with a couple of candles lit, create a small comfortable fort on my bed and zone out to it with a smoke. Sunday wasnt quite the same.

Barefoot Tiger
  • Barefoot Tiger

GTAV Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

Westwood was in there at one point he had the slot before goldfinger, 

Yes, Judge Jules took over Tim Westwoods slot in the later 1990's

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

Westwood was in there at one point he had the slot before goldfinger,

Yes, Judge Jules took over Tim Westwoods slot in the later 1990's

Ah yeah of course, thought it was later. Cheers man

Barefoot Tiger
  • Barefoot Tiger

GTAV Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

I'd sit up with a couple of candles lit, create a small comfortable fort on my bed and zone out to it with a smoke. Sunday wasnt quite the same.

That sounds epic!

I'm a night owl and Peterson's sets were so perfect for chilling, creating or just meditating on the diversity of the music.

To recreate the mood in the game I have to listen to GTAVs Worldwide whilst driving at night. It is so wrong to listen to it in daylight!

• OH NO likes this

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:49 AM

I'd sit up with a couple of candles lit, create a small comfortable fort on my bed and zone out to it with a smoke. Sunday wasnt quite the same.

That sounds epic!

I'm a night owl and Peterson's sets were so perfect for chilling, creating or just meditating on the diversity of the music.

To recreate the mood in the game I have to listen to GTAVs Worldwide whilst driving at night. It is so wrong to listen to it in daylight!

Haha yeah definitely. Night owl here too. I tried to get as many people into worldwide as possible but people were literally sleeping on it.

I mean, look at this, you can get all the old tracks listings from every session here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk....shtml?20031120

I go straight there pick a random year and just post the first two tracks

Straight away you're in a zone, mr Peterson just played track after track of quality. I was amazed to hear it on gtav my mind actually couldn't comprehend what I was hearing for a moment. Tbh tho as great a show as it is I don't think gtav track listing did it as much justice as it could have, probably me just being a bit snobby/picky, maybe.

Barefoot Tiger
  • Barefoot Tiger

GTAV Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

I don't think gtav track listing did it as much justice as it could have, probably me just being a bit snobby/picky, maybe.

Maybe that's because they were trying to offer a wide variety of tracks, whereas in GP's shows, he usually played a set of similar tracks to create a mood.

The best part of the GTAV set, for me, is the segue from Toro y Moi into Kyodai. A perfect cross fade and the beat of Breaking kicks in at exactly the right spot.

Magical!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users