GTAForums Music in Review
Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:44 AM Edited by Moonshield, 12 August 2010 - 10:22 PM.
Welcome to the GTAForums Music in Review. Our goal is to offer quality musical insight to music novices and those well versed alike by way of reviews of recently released, up-and-coming releases, as well as throwback reviews for those must-have albums.
Our ratings system is based off of a five point scale with halves, and is solely based on the reviewers' opinions of the album in question.
If you are not happy with the rating of a certain album, don't be afraid to bring it up to the reviewer. And as long as you have a valid argument against the opinion, your argument will be duly noted and taken back into consideration.
The way we pick albums to review isn't a very scientific or precise movement, but any ordinary album won't do. The reviewer will always have his own choice in what album he chooses to review, unless specifically stated otherwise. This otherwise is for requested album reviews that people may submit if they are wondering about an album. But even then, whoever would like to review the requested album is allowed to, nothing is mandatory.
If you'd like to submit a review request, PM me and we'll see what we can do.
The Review Crew
Moonshield - last.fm profile
"I'm very into metal and its subgenres (mostly doom/sludge and black) but I am anything but limited to them. I usually find myself listening to bluesy, gritty, blue-collar stuff, or progressive or avant-garde music that breaks grounds and expands horizons, and has a good deal of substance to it. Likewise, I enjoy jazz (beebop and fusion), indie rock/pop, and a bit of hip-hop if I'm in the mood."
-shaDow -shaDow - last.fm profile
"Just looking there should give you a basic outline of my tastes. I'll listen to anything, from indie rock/pop to classic rock to instrumental to rap to jazz to metal, as long as it's aurally pleasing. I keep a pretty open mind to anything, and I'm not quick to dismiss a band the first time around hearing it, sans Nickelback and all the sh*tty post-grunge bands that plague humanity. Most of the bands I love I wasn't particularly fond of the first time around, so that should give a good indication that I love to fully explore whatever I can get my hands on.
A list of my favorite albums of all time can be viewed here."
"Uhh I don't really know how to explain my music tastes, other than "Good". So many styles appeal to me, for example heres the next few bands on my playlist: Beastie Boys > Fiona Apple > Praxis > Buckethead > Hella > Tom Waits > Steve Miller > Jay-Z > Minus The Bear > Gorillaz > Cake > Dream Theater > Rush > Radiohead > Coheed and Cambria > Coldplay > Kanye West
It will be totally different tomorrow, I've got way too many albums and half the attention span needed to stick with anything. f*ckit. Blah."
Napalm Jason (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showuser=254673) - last.fm profile (http://www.last.fm/user/JasonWhiplash/)
"While my music taste is really limited, I know exactly what I look for in a band and always keep an open mind to bands I haven't heard before. I also stumble across bands daily and constantly read up on the genre."
If you'd like to join the team, PM me with some reason you should be considered, such as a review of your own.
1. Sunn O))) - Black One (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=230518) by Moonshield
2. Explosions in the Sky - The Rescue (Travels in Constants Vol. 21) (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=233304) by -shaDow
3. Buckethead & Friends - Enter the Chicken (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=233497) by lesfleanut
4. DragonForce - Inhuman Rampage (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=234022) by Scarface187
5. Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=235300) by ToyMachine
6. Children of Bodom - Tokyo Warhearts (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=235303) by Scarface187
7. Arkona - Revival (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?act=ST&f=32&t=269669) by Trows
8. Amon Tobin - Foley Room (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=269890) by Wayfarer
9. Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=274471) by Scarface187
10. Autechre - Quaristice (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=323867) by Wayfarer
11. Razor - Shotgun Justice (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=324615) by Napalm Jason
12. Opeth - Watershed (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=346444) by Scarface187
13. Metallica - Master of Puppets (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?act=ST&f=32&t=361552) by LIL_JACOB
14. Metallica - Death Magnetic (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=370503) by Scarface187
Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:56 AM
Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:22 PM
Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:57 PM
Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:34 AM
Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:24 PM
Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:09 AM
It's hard to look beyond your own perception of an artists and their songs. I've created topics I'd hoped people could reflect on the history and the music, for each one, which I'd have liked to see add insight and opinion rather then languish, but there's a feud it seems between old and new and 80s and 90s music, and during the times, it's hard to gain perspective on what might be a strong song over time. Or a flash in the pan band COULDA WOULDA SHOULDA made it!
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users