18 replies to this topic
Quadropheniac90
  • Quadropheniac90

Confused Clown

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:16 AM

Texturing in 3dsmax using Unwrap UVW
Made by: Teun Steenbekkers

OK, I will explain about texturing in 3dsmax using the Unwrap UVW modifier, this is my first tutorial, I made it for a mate of mine who wanted to learn texturing in 3dsmax. smile.gif
Import your .DFF or create a model you want to texture. I've made this simple piece of land:

user posted image

Go to the Material Browser and put a Multi/Sub-Object material in a slot, it has 10 slots standard. Make all the slots GTA Materials and name them all GTAMtl. Then click on the ‘None’ button next to Color and pick Bitmap. Choose a texture. Do this for all slots and add all the textures you want you’re model to have. The Multi/Sub-Object with GTA Materials:

user posted image
user posted image

Apply the material to the model. Then you need to divide the model into texture ID’s. Go to polygon mode and select the polygons which need the texture in Slot 1, set their ID to 1. Do this with the polygons who need texture 2, 3, etcetera. My model needs just 1 texture, and the texture is in Slot 1 as you saw in the above picture, so all the polygons have ID 1:

user posted image

Now add the Unwrap UVW modifier to the stack. Select ‘Faces’ mode in there. Then in the field of ‘Select MatID’ enter the ID you want to texture. I prefer starting with ID 1 and going down the list:

user posted image

I selected Box from the 'Map Parameters' list but for flat objects I use Planar, for buildings Box or Planar. I never use Cylindrical or Spherical. Click 'Fit' to fit the texture to the object. Click on 'Edit' and then on the modifier so it goes out of the sublevel Faces. Now you can move, scale, rotate or freeform the texture. I prefer freeform because it's easier to scale and move at the same time here:

user posted image
user posted image

Now you can scale and move the texture around, and look at what happens in 3D View at the same time:

user posted image

When you’re happy with the results, close the UVW screen and right-click the Unwrap UVW modifier and choose Collapse To, pick Yes. Now my model is textured.:

user posted image

Repeat these steps for the other Material ID's in the Multi/Sub-Object material and always collapse the Unwrap UVW modiefier to the Editable Mesh or Poly and make sure that when you export, the model is an Editable Mesh.

The-end
  • The-end

It's time to go home

• Members

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:53 PM

Awsome this should be pretty helpfull to me and alot of other n00b's

You need another karma star for this tounge.gif

Quadropheniac90
  • Quadropheniac90

Confused Clown

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:05 AM

Well thank you! I had been having quite some problems with this in the past and some people needed help, so... biggrin.gif

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 18 February 2006 - 05:49 PM

Quickly just using a "UVW map" modifier would produce exactly the same effects and would take a much shorter amount of time for general mapping techniques. Unwrapping is mainly used for more intricate work such as weapon/vehicle textures. In some cases its better to unwrap a model and do as you have said, but generally i've found for mapping objects you can get away with a quick UVW Box Map providing you have a seamless texture.

Arvis
  • Arvis

Li'l G Loc

• The Yardies

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:26 AM

thank you now i made my first model with uw map user posted image smile.gif

adgold
  • adgold

skater

• Members

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:11 PM

wow man this is great thx! colgate.gif
nice manual lol smile.gif

H13N.H3N
  • H13N.H3N

Lands with a *Clunk*

• Members

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

Hi mister, i just want to ask ye 4 something, i wrote the Tut to use render to texture, but i'm pretty sure that much people don't know who to use the Channel Mapping, the lack of time does make me to ask ye to put some more about it, because if they don't change the uv infrmation from channel 3 to the 1, the model will look messed. thnks 4 this one

Quadropheniac90
  • Quadropheniac90

Confused Clown

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:34 PM

Not sure I know what you mean. In Render to Texture, you can just select: 'Use existing channel' and select the one you used in Unwrap UVW or UVW Map.

Lol, very late:

@GT1: Personally I think for best precision, this method is better. But that's just my experience.

H13N.H3N
  • H13N.H3N

Lands with a *Clunk*

• Members

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (teun.steenbekkers @ Dec 11 2007, 14:34)
Not sure I know what you mean. In Render to Texture, you can just select: 'Use existing channel' and select the one you used in Unwrap UVW or UVW Map.

Lol, very late:

@GT1: Personally I think for best precision, this method is better. But that's just my experience.

well, by default it is channel 3, if you change to existing channel (1), the model will no unwrap correctly, believe me i tried, the model will take the picture or skin and will only align the model over the skin, without making a real mapping, if that thing were to easy to do, be for sure that i knew already. any way, i'm going to see if i can attach the tut from the help of 3D Studio, as i said, thnks anyway.

Quadropheniac90
  • Quadropheniac90

Confused Clown

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:40 PM

I never had problems using Render to Texture after doing it with this method though. No deformations when changing channels. Weird.

speed_design
  • speed_design

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:04 AM

thank nice tut smile.gif

Basejumper
  • Basejumper

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:43 PM Edited by Basejumper, 31 January 2010 - 09:53 PM.

hey, i added a new Bone to a dff to rotate a new dff what is attached at the old. But i've got a problem with export it to GTA sa. i want to export it but it comes an error like "parent" in undefined. how i can set the parent? first i had a problem with the UVW and the Poly, but i fixed this. but now i've got a problem with the parent sad.gif pls help

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

It's L, as in Lpgunit, not I.

• Feroci Racing
  • Philippines

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:26 AM

I'll look forward to this, as I'm still a noob when it comes to texturing things.

X-Soka
  • X-Soka

Pedestrain Modifier

• Members

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:33 PM

I can use this to texture a pedestration?

RnBoy15
  • RnBoy15

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:31 PM

Thats great! PLS can you tell me something? when you are done with the textures in 3ds max, how can you export it as a .txd file? pls help!

Ja750
  • Ja750

Five

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (RnBoy15 @ Friday, Aug 26 2011, 16:31)
Thats great! PLS can you tell me something? when you are done with the textures in 3ds max, how can you export it as a .txd file? pls help!

You don't you make one, Use TXD Workshop import textures to a new file and then save.

d4ff370
  • d4ff370

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

hi i want to ask you how i export my textures from my model in 3ds max i mean how i can texture precisley like this:http://www.google.sk/imgres?q=beretta+textures&num=10&hl=sk&tbm=isch&tbnid=MuPFHGUmKwe43M:&imgrefurl=http://www.toren3d.com/beretta.html&docid=nXiXS3qsgUbw2M&imgurl=http://www.toren3d.com/images/3D/beretta_texture.jpg&w=1024&h=1024&ei=CDYkUNbkOeHl4QT3voHADw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=185&vpy=144&dur=2207&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=120&ty=118&sig=103490946858386170270&page=1&tbnh=159&tbnw=159&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:72&biw=1280&bih=868

Quadropheniac90
  • Quadropheniac90

Confused Clown

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

I think it's possible to render out your UVW Template. In the Unwrap UVW editor window, there should be an option.

You can then save it to an image format and edit that with Photoshop. smile.gif

Feck, 8 years since I registered here. Nostalgia ftw. ^^

TutorIndia
  • TutorIndia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

What a nice method to explain this type of great topic. Thanks for the informative post. smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users