Generics Reference Guide

8 replies to this topic
mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:40 PM

Quite a few questions this time:

I'm trying to make a list of all generic objects that can be used in lots. (Right now, it's just a reference guide for myself. Once I get it sorted out in a releasable state, I will post it here)

But I noticed in the install of MISA that the generics resembled the ones in VC.
There's for example no SA trees and some of the generics turn up white in Med (due to the deletion of the txd?). Now I could use the generics folder of SA as a reference, but if that's not going to be used in MI, there's not really a point.
There's also the issue of our own generics. Are those added to the folder or replaced with an existing model?

So I'd like to know wich generic folder (SA, VC) will be used, if it'll be used 'as if' or at least as a base generic folder from wich changes will be made?
Will it be the entire folder or a folder where there's allready some stuff deleted?

And finally: Do you think this could be usefull to you or others when creating lots?

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

(-:-)

• Members

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:54 PM

I think, it'll be good if you create a new folder (generic).

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:03 AM

I would just say add all the generic object that are currently used in the vice city version of Myriad islands and then the people can decide what they want to use. Even though 1/3 of the objects that were used in vice city are the same in San andreas i tested this a while ago and it turned out that it both looked good here is one example from my conversion of my lot to SA.

http://www.members.l...ts/lot 54-2.JPG

The objects like the lampposts and the tree had the same names the only things that changed were the ID numbers but the models of the objects stayed the same so maybe you wont even need to convert all objects since they are already in sa but they are just having other ID numbers.

But it would be handy if there was a list like

ID: DFF TXD converted
ID: DFF TXD In progres

Then the people can see which objects are already converted and then they can use them again in their lots.

Good luck anyway. And hopefully Gforce will soon put the beta package on the web. biggrin.gif

mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:02 PM

mmm, not much response so far confused.gif

@ Alexxx: Could you be more specific please.

@ aad: seeing your conversion idea makes me think you mean we should use the one we had in vc, wich is basically the vc generic folder?

I think it would be a shame to ditch all those nice new trees SA has.
But I just noticed GForce is back, maybe he can clear some stuff up.

Gforce
  • Gforce

"Segregate and Rearrange" "The Hills"

• Feroci Racing
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:32 PM

this is also a section of things i've been looking into myself, from what i have worked out atm it seems that most of the VC generic objects we have used in MI are still present in SA although some never got used ingame, with the same object name but with new id numbering and txd files have been renamed in some of the files i've been investigating, most of which can be found in the multiobj.ide, also from what i can figure out, the placement of generic objects in SA was done using the binary ipl files in the img.

an example of one object that i cannot find ingame SA is wglasssmash.dff even though the object is still in the img, i got this object ingame months ago and showed screens in the PPT but for some reason the glass is only single sided but it does break, i'm still trying to find a placement entry in the binary ipl files but given the amount of binary files and the limitations of the tool im using ..... progress is slow. this is part of the generic glass pack i made originally for VC which i'm converting to SA.

if my memory serves me correctly there is a generic object renumbering tool available somewhere around gtaf for converting the VC generic object ID numbering to SA numbering.

i think alexxx is refering to the use of a seperate ide/ipl folder in data for MI specific generic objects like the folder used in the GTI release.

on another note i did create a conversion thread for posting links to converted MI files...................feel free to use it wink.gif

mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:34 PM

You're right about the VC objects being in SA. I came across them too. And from what I could see on Steve M's print-out of the binary ipls you're right too, though I noticed some of the trees were in the regular IPL's.
I did some read up on binary ipl's and noticed a lot of talk about car placement, but not so much about generic objects. I also read that it's not really necessary to put them in binary IPL's.

So how do you think it will evolve in the future making of lots. If, let's say, I want to populate a lot with trees and trashcans and so on... do I attach them to the lot and export it as part of the model, or do I add them in the lots' IPL, or in the binary IPL?

'Cause what I had in mind was just an overview of what's available for people to use in ther lots
example: pic of object - ID - Model name - Texture name

So, when you're for example looking for a certain kind of tree, bush, flower,... you'd have an overview of what's available. Now I don't know if this will be still usefull if we're going with the binary IPL's. Or am I totally wrong here (that's quite possible, I'm trying to get my head around this binary stuff, so far without success)

As for the renumbering of VC IDE's, I suppose it's from the VC ID to the SA ID, right? Or the other way around?

As I remember correctly, SadMac has shown some new generic objects for Necrosis, so I guess a separate folder with MI-made generics could be usefull.

On a side note: I didn't convert anything yet. I'm still learning about shadow meshes and such... tounge2.gif

Gforce
  • Gforce

"Segregate and Rearrange" "The Hills"

• Feroci Racing
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:06 AM

i feel that all generic objects could be added to the ipl files as per VC modding then transfered to a dedicated generic objects ipl for each island, then possibly at a later date converted to binary ipl files, if we ever get a tool to reconstruct binary ipl files that is.

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

(-:-)

• Members

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:04 PM

Explanatory of my message.
I think, it's necessary to create a folder "generic" where to insert IDE/IPL with all generic-objects from VC and SA. If the object repeats it's necessary (for example, VC palm) to remove it(him) and to use the same object from SA.
Besides it, SA supports creation of new IMG-archives - it's possible to use this function and to create separate Generic.img archive.
Also it would be good, if someone will create the list of all generic-objects.

mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:53 PM

I believe most (if not all) vc generics are in SA. So it's most likely that people, when converting their lots, adjust the IDE number, object name and txd name (if necessary) to what it is in SA.
As for the list, I'm in the middle of making one. I don't know when it'll be ready though, there's quite a lot of generic objects you know. confused.gif

@ Gforce: It's good to hear we might start of using the same manner we had in Vice. If possible, in time, when time is right yada yada...I agree there might be better organizational solutions. But for now, I think VC-wise would be good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users