Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:29 PM

This topic got me thinking.
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=232929

Just out of curiosity, why not keep topics for all systems/versions/devices in the SnP/mission help forum? I mean they'll get lost in almost any forum within a short period, but at least keeping them in a forum that's already specifically for posting game saves seems to fit.

Admittedly I'm asking for a partially selfish reason. I have a save I had posted a long time ago. Also an AR Max save for PS2, only for NTSC. The topic was lost when the forums were "streamlined." If I can ever find the info about the specifics of the save I'd repost it, so knowing for sure where it should go would help.

To take it a step further though, I thought that since there are quite a few saves in there, maybe trying to find a permanent host for some of them could be a good idea.

For example, I'd imagine that there are quite a few people playing with either version 1 or 2 on PC, but the amount of people playing on a specific console, with a specific version, and using a specific device is most likely much smaller.

If a permanent host was found for these files then it shouldn't take long for there to be game saves for various systems, devices, versions, and at many different points in the game. While it's not really needed at all, I'd imagine that such a resource would be extremely helpful to certain people.

Meh, just a thought.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:59 PM

Save N Play is designed to help people with THEIR saves. The non-linear aspect of GTA storylines would make hosting every possible combination VERY tedious.

As for generic saves, Plaka's already done wonders in that field. So I think I might've missed the point.

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (Demarest @ Feb 4 2006, 14:59)
Save N Play is designed to help people with THEIR saves. The non-linear aspect of GTA storylines would make hosting every possible combination VERY tedious.

As for generic saves, Plaka's already done wonders in that field. So I think I might've missed the point.

I'd say that EVERY combination would be almost impossible, but I wouldn't ever expect every combination. More like just a few decent saves at different points in the game.

For example, somewhere on one of my PS2 memory cards I have a save that's one mission or so after you start spraying the tags, but with all of them sprayed before going on and doing missions. I did it so that if I ever had to start again I could start there rather than having to get all the tags again. I'm sure that there are people with saves of that sort, saved at points such as that for different systems, disc versions, and devices (in the case of consoles.)

It just seemed to me like a waste for someone to upload a file at any point throughout the game (for any system, version, etc.), have a helper beat the mission they need completed, then have both the files lose their hosting. Especially since there's a chance someone could be looking for a save just like it later.

I can think of a few reasons beside being lazy or unable to complete a sngle mission that might have people looking for saves. Their version 1 disc was damaged and they don't want to beat the game all over again for version 2, they've beaten the game on one system and are now moving to another, their save was corrupted, etc.

I must admit though that I'm not familiar with Plaka's saves at all. Anyone have a link? If they are for more than one system (PC, Xbox, PS2, v1 & v2, etc.) then this suggestion is pretty pointless.

pdescobar
  • pdescobar

Conformist Scum Panda

• Members

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (SWEETSAPRIK @ Feb 4 2006, 15:33)
I can think of a few reasons beside being lazy or unable to complete a sngle mission that might have people looking for saves. Their version 1 disc was damaged and they don't want to beat the game all over again for version 2, they've beaten the game on one system and are now moving to another, their save was corrupted, etc.

I must admit though that I'm not familiar with Plaka's saves at all. Anyone have a link? If they are for more than one system (PC, Xbox, PS2, v1 & v2, etc.) then this suggestion is pretty pointless.

I can only really speak for San Andreas, because that's where I've paid the most attention to the issue of SnP and saves. Although, given the extremely low traffic in the GTA3 and VC SnP threads the demand there cannot be large. I'm not going to address LCS because I know little of the game or the system it's currently available on.

For SA, the vast majority of save requests (and the only SnP) there is the PC platform. In addition to the SnP available in Mission Help, there's a pinned topic in the General PC forum with saves after virtually every storyline mission created and hosted by mikeswi. Such saves are available for both version 1 and version 2 (although the working v2 ones are in my post near the end of the thread.) Whenever someone needs a save from a particular point in the game, they can generally find what they need there. Additionally, Plaka has put together save packs with starter saves and 100% saves for both versions and some mods as well; they are available at GTA garage and from his website.

So, in terms of PC saves, everything's pretty well covered. The problem with keeping SnP saves around indefinitely is the vast majority of duplication. I haven't looked at wolf's stats recently, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that a quarter of SnP requests are about just a couple missions that are tough, particularly on lower-end PCs (something like Flight School, Cesar Vialpando, Life's a Beach, Stowaway, Freefall.) Having a couple central collections like the mikeswi save set and Plaka's save packs seems far more efficient than keeping around every SnP request.

Now, as for the consoles, you have 2 different platforms (ps2/xbox) which come in two different formats (NTSC/PAL) at least 2 different versions (unmodified v1 and unmodified v2; yes, some people do mod their consoles and ask about things like Hot Coffee saves), and a variety of transfer devices (ARMax, Gameshark, etc.) Now, I admit I'm ignorant of the details related to transferring saves to and from the consoles, but from browsing the posted save games at GameFAQs, it seems that the submitted games seem to require the use of one of these devices and are actually specific to the given device. Even if you only wish to provide a handful of key save points, covering all version possibilities quickly gets out of hand. Plus, frankly, I just don't see the kind of demand for console saves that I do for PC saves. Maybe it's because people don't ask, but regardless I don't really see such a collection really being worth the effort.

In summary, mikeswi and Plaka pretty well have the bases covered on the PC side already and we really don't see console SnP so I don't know there's a demand for it and you'd have to put together a dedicated effort to collect those saves anyhow.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE (SWEETSAPRIK @ Feb 4 2006, 15:33)
It just seemed to me like a waste for someone to upload a file at any point throughout the game (for any system, version, etc.), have a helper beat the mission they need completed, then have both the files lose their hosting. Especially since there's a chance someone could be looking for a save just like it later.

YOU are preaching to the choir. I agree completely. When I started SNP, I had 10 megs of GTAF hosting. I kept each save live and as I ran out of space, I was given more up to 30 megs. GTAF is on a different system now, but just the same, it would be unrealistic to keep all saves now. SA made SNP blow up to a level that required a FORUM to be able to track. When all is said and done, I think Samutz's uploader is one of the most generous aspects of SNP ever. The 7 day shelf life of files is not only understandable, but necessary to keep the process automated.

Back in the day, I had a full set of GTA3 saves at just about any point in the game. There was a guy (apologies to him for not recalling his name) that hosted a similar set for all of SA. I mentioned Plaka's name because I know he's the guy always making custom saves and save sets for people. My memory could be cloudy, but that's what I've gathered.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users