Photo

GTA:LC Launcher

115 replies to this topic
Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:01 AM

Adding the files wouldn't really be a problem - I'm pretty sure you can add multiple files at once using IMG Tool. Maybe not - we can sort that out when we get to that stage wink.gif . But an automatic installer would definitely be the way to go for it - that way, we could even get it in the order we want icon14.gif .

txd.img is simply all of the TXDs from III's gta3.img that have been reformatted to work most effectively with your graphics card/settings. You know when you first try to load up III after installing how it says something along the lines of "optimising your graphics to match settings" - that process creates txd.img. As far as I can tell, it's a workaround that R* came up with to combat some issue in the game engine - this was obviously fixed in the VC engine though, hence the missing txd.img. So in short, no, I don't see the need to use txd.img for LC smile.gif .

kiwidesign
  • kiwidesign

GTA:LC kiwi :)

• Members

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (Ben @ Sep 26 2006, 07:01)
txd.img is simply all of the TXDs from III's gta3.img that have been reformatted to work most effectively with your graphics card/settings.  You know when you first try to load up III after installing how it says something along the lines of "optimising your graphics to match settings" - that process creates txd.img.  As far as I can tell, it's a workaround that R* came up with to combat some issue in the game engine - this was obviously fixed in the VC engine though, hence the missing txd.img.  So in short, no, I don't see the need to use txd.img for LC smile.gif .

I know that, but I should re-install III to see how the gta3.img looks before 1st game load...

actually, once txd.img is created, gta3.img only contains lo-res textures confused.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:56 AM

Yes, that's right - the TXDs in txd.img are simply uncompressed VC format textures. But we wouldn't be using those because they are too big - they'd have to be compressed first. However, if that's the case, then all TXDs would have to be added to the IMG. Oh, and by the way, the creation of txd.img has no effect on gta3.img.

I've been talking to DexX about this, and he mentioned that MM managed to make VC create a txd.img in the same way III did, although because the textures were already compressed, it made no difference. However, if we were to use III's gta3.img in LC and then told the game to create (and read during game-play the same way III did) a txd.img, we'd have the improved 32bit textures - hopefully the game could compress them as well, which would also cut down on the size LC takes up overall. For me, it's just a more efficient way of installing - it cuts down on conversion, and makes the most of the game engine, not to mention significantly reducing the size of the download. However, as mentioned earlier, I'm still quite happy with leaving a custom IMG (similar to the one we currently have) online for those of you who don't have III smile.gif .

But, despite all of that, there's little if any difference in the way the textures look in-game (when comparing the 8bit and 32bit textures) - the real difference is in gameplay (the 32bit textures load faster and run smoother, not to mention the fact that they provide for more detail in-game).

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:38 AM

Forget the idea of using III's IMG for LC - the TXDs present too much of a problem to make the process worthwhile. However, with MM's fantastic work, hopefully we'll be able to use more of the original III DFFs for LC wink.gif .

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 26 December 2006 - 11:44 PM Edited by Ben, 26 December 2006 - 11:50 PM.

QUOTE (Ben @ Jul 13 2006, 16:15)
I've got some goodies for those of you involved in developing the launcher, courtesy of AK-73.  I asked him over email about implementing these into the LC launcher, but he's a bit busy with his own mod, so these will have to be done by someone else.  But at least he has a lot of specific info for you icon14.gif .

See the following posts:

They all address a range of EXE-related issues in the checklist, so another BIG thank-you to Alex smile.gif .

It'd also be great (and a HUGE favour to Alex) if anyone who knows how to alter the world lighting could post some info - that's something he's keen to learn how to mod (and it's also applicable to LC), and I think it's the least we can do to re-pay him for all of the wonderful work he's done for us.

And if any of you come across my post about the SFX whilst looking over Alex's, don't worry - that info is included in the SFX download for the test7 package, courtesy of Modeling Man smile.gif .

EDIT - It might also be a good idea to check the mem hacking topic regularly for any more updates from AK icon14.gif .

QUOTE (Ben @ Jul 20 2006, 19:45)
Here's something for our resident EXE hackers to look into (another of AK's findings).  A bit of research will be required to make it work "perfectly", but it's a big start.  Thanks again Alex smile.gif .

EDIT - As for the world lighting - after talking to ModelingMan about it yesterday, we know where to look, but I'm not sure when we'll get around to fixing it.  We'll see what happens wink.gif .

QUOTE (Ben @ Jul 28 2006, 16:22)
Hmmm, this might be useful for controlling the drivers on the lift bridge (another goodie from AK) icon14.gif .

When all of this stuff from AK, and the work Hammer and MM are doing behind the scenes gets implemented into the next launcher update, um, well, let's just say it's going to be f*cking awesome smile.gif .

EDIT - WOW wow.gif !

Ben is excited!

inlove.gif

Here's some stuff that still has to be organised - the links all address a range of EXE-related fixes we still have to implement.

But I found a nice (late) Christmas present in my email inbox this morning, courtesy of AK - a world lighting fix! biggrin.gif

Originally, he'd simply increased the blue values in timecyc.dat, which worked, but also affected all the whites in-game - they were no longer a "true" white. However, he has presented an alternative solution - since red and green mixed makes yellow, by reducing those values, the yellowish lighting in LC can be reduced. You can grab the fix here , and check out these comparison pics:
Original VC Tint vs GTA3-style Tint .

I'm not sure on the exact functions of the ASI or the CFG - AK could tell you more if you're interested Seems AK has already posted a brief description here wink.gif . To install it, simply extract it over your LC folder.

I'll whack it in an update package sometime soon (with all of the other stuff that I need to compile too) smile.gif .

kiwidesign
  • kiwidesign

• Members

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:59 PM

Ben, I tried to download the Lighting Fix but it don't seem to be on the server confused.gif

I got the same "not found" error for other files you uploaded recently in the same folder...

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:46 PM

Oh yeah blush.gif . I removed a lot of the stuff from my FTP folder - everything you need is in the 2.7up package which can normally be found in the pinned Updates topic.

Sorry about that smile.gif .

kiwidesign
  • kiwidesign

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:37 AM

don't worry smile.gif

I just copied the updated files in the LC folder, so I think the problem is solved...
really I haven't yet checked the fixed lighting, i'll do it tomorrow tounge.gif

not sure... but I think in a couple of days italian.gxt should be ready! icon14.gif

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (Ben @ Dec 26 2006, 23:44)

Here's some stuff that still has to be organised - the links all address a range of EXE-related fixes we still have to implement.

But I found a nice (late) Christmas present in my email inbox this morning, courtesy of AK - a world lighting fix! biggrin.gif

Originally, he'd simply increased the blue values in timecyc.dat, which worked, but also affected all the whites in-game - they were no longer a "true" white.  However, he has presented an alternative solution - since red and green mixed makes yellow, by reducing those values, the yellowish lighting in LC can be reduced.

That's however not what VC:Weather does. smile.gif The above has just been a consideration for workaround. With VC:Weather modders can do the same thing GTA3 does: do a transparent overlay over the entire world after after everything is rendered. The problem was that VC didn't have the RGBA values that are at the end of each timecyc.dat line, obviously entries that have been added shortly before the game was completed (as the photos on the back cover of my GTA3 game do not have the tint). smile.gif

So what does VC:Weather do (shameless spam to follow... wink.gif )? It does lay likewise an overlay over the entire world and uses values that it takes from its config file. Handily for the LC project the default config file has already the default GTA3 values (mainly because they're good starting values for my own mod). So then all that is left is to adjust at least the obj_amb of VC's timecyc.dat (which did not exist in GTA3). Tracking the workings of the GTA3 exe resulted in me discovering that the corresponding values in GTA3 are calculated from the ambient rgb values. GTA3 takes these values, multiplies them first with 1.3 then and then with 1.44something for a net multiplier of 1.8something. The timecyc.dat that I sent Ben has corresponding values for the object ambient light data, so in effect by default VC:Weather gives an exact approximation (minus rounding errors) of GTA3 lighting if the aforementioned timecyc.dat is used in conjunction with it - at least in theory. I cannot get LC to run at the moment, so I can't compare screenshots for myself.

What VC:Weather in its final form *also* does is to enable full configuration of both VC weather tables. Again handily for the LC folks, I have already included the original GTA3 weather states; just comment them in and the VC values of table 2 out (not supported yet in the version Ben has). Of less interest to your project might be that the mod also allows for customizable random weather and that it allows to customize rain settings. With that it is possible to configure the speed of the falling rain (among other things), so if anyone wants to use that for a snow mod, it's entirely possible.

I need to write some readme for the mod and will upload it tomorrow. I'll include the source code too - so if you don't want to include the mod into LC itself, you can check what the mod does and re-write it partially yourself. smile.gif

You can grab the fix here , and check out these comparison pics:
Original VC Tint vs GTA3-style Tint .

I'm not sure on the exact functions of the ASI or the CFG - AK could tell you more if you're interested Seems AK has already posted a brief description here wink.gif .  To install it, simply extract it over your LC folder.

I'll whack it in an update package sometime soon (with all of the other stuff that I need to compile too) smile.gif .

I hope the above was informative enough for the moment. smile.gif I'll post the full mod tomorrow if all goes well. It's part of my trying to make VC more configurable for modders, especially for those working on total conversions. Next will be VC:Traffic. If any of you have any requests with regards to weather and/or traffic, I'm sure I'll be able to work it into my mods.

Alex

PS Ben, I found that the sun glare on vehicles issue practically resolves itself if you use the GTA3 weather table - it doesn't have an extra sunny weather state. smile.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:22 AM Edited by Ben, 03 January 2007 - 04:13 AM.

blush.gif

From reading your post in the direct3d topic, that was the impression I got. I'm not sure I could've been more wrong tounge.gif .

Anyways, not to worry. At least now I understand a lot more about the VC-weather functions icon14.gif . I might hassle you for some more in-depth info at a later stage (for my guide), but for now, that will suffice wink.gif .

Regarding the issue of traffic - my only requests are to deal with the traffic problems we have in LC (as long as they correspond with your mod) please. I think they're all in the checklist - off the top of my head, there's issues with the traffic at the SSV lift bridge (AFAIK, the traffic behaviour for that is coded into the SCM - the cars inside a cube near the lifting part of the bridge just disappear when the bridge starts to rise - perhaps you can make them just stop instead of disappearing entirely (as per GTA3)?); and also with the driver behaviour - not all drivers go crazy when their vehicle gets shot or hit (with a weapon).

And one other question - do you have any plans to do any other VC-*** modules? Something with the PEDs/animations would be really good (MM was starting to look into it before he got snowed under with uni work I think). Even if you didn't, any research into the differences in the engines (I'm talking specific technicalities here, not just basics) of GTA3 and VC would be invaluable for my guide. Let me know what you're plans are and I'll see what I want then wink.gif .

Cheers smile.gif .

EDIT - Not sure what will happen, but it'd be nice if you could take a look into the way the wanted level system is conducted through the EXE (or just in general). There's a pretty major difference between LC and GTA3 - the VC engine spawns WAY more cops, and for different things when compared to III.

Might be worth a look if you're interested smile.gif .

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (Ben @ Jan 3 2007, 00:22)
blush.gif

Lol, no worries, Ben. smile.gif

From reading your post in the direct3d topic, that was the impression I got.  I'm not sure I could've been more wrong tounge.gif .

Anyways, not to worry.  At least now I understand a lot more about the VC-weather functions icon14.gif .  I might hassle you for some more in-depth info at a later stage (for my guide), but for now, that will suffice wink.gif .

Regarding the issue of traffic - my only requests are to deal with the traffic problems we have in LC (as long as they correspond with your mod) please.  I think they're all in the checklist - off the top of my head, there's issues with the traffic at the SSV lift bridge (AFAIK, the traffic behaviour for that is coded into the SCM - the cars inside a cube near the lifting part of the bridge just disappear when the bridge starts to rise - perhaps you can make them just stop instead of disappearing entirely (as per GTA3)?); and also with the driver behaviour - not all drivers go crazy when their vehicle gets shot or hit (with a weapon).

VC:Traffic is supposed to eventually enable customization of driver reaction according to user-specified probabilities, wether be it just continuing to drive as if nothing was happening, go into drive-through mode or drive-past mode (that is the classic GTA3 reaction), or to stop and get out.

And one other question - do you have any plans to do any other VC-*** modules?  Something with the PEDs/animations would be really good (MM was starting to look into it before he got snowed under with uni work I think).  Even if you didn't, any research into the differences in the engines (I'm talking specific technicalities here, not just basics) of GTA3 and VC would be invaluable for my guide.  Let me know what you're plans are and I'll see what I want then wink.gif .

Cheers smile.gif .

EDIT - Not sure what will happen, but it'd be nice if you could take a look into the way the wanted level system is conducted through the EXE (or just in general).  There's a pretty major difference between LC and GTA3 - the VC engine spawns WAY more cops, and for different things when compared to III.

I fear I've got much other stuff to do in the foreseeable future, Ben. Sorry, but best to not wait for me to have the time to do that. smile.gif

Alex

PS I have just uploaded VC:Weather to gtagarage. GTA:LC might decide on their own whether they want to include it in their distribution or whether to possibly make use of parts of the source code or not. The source code is undocumented though and to make sense of it, just track what it does in a debugger.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (AK-73 @ Jan 5 2007, 04:19)

And one other question - do you have any plans to do any other VC-*** modules?  Something with the PEDs/animations would be really good (MM was starting to look into it before he got snowed under with uni work I think).  Even if you didn't, any research into the differences in the engines (I'm talking specific technicalities here, not just basics) of GTA3 and VC would be invaluable for my guide.  Let me know what you're plans are and I'll see what I want then wink.gif .

Cheers smile.gif .

EDIT - Not sure what will happen, but it'd be nice if you could take a look into the way the wanted level system is conducted through the EXE (or just in general).  There's a pretty major difference between LC and GTA3 - the VC engine spawns WAY more cops, and for different things when compared to III.

I fear I've got much other stuff to do in the foreseeable future, Ben. Sorry, but best to not wait for me to have the time to do that. smile.gif

No worries mate. Just thought I'd ask anyway smile.gif .

PS I have just uploaded VC:Weather to gtagarage. GTA:LC might decide on their own whether they want to include it in their distribution or whether to possibly make use of parts of the source code or not. The source code is undocumented though and to make sense of it, just track what it does in a debugger.

I'll leave that to MM to decide I think, but at this stage, I don't see any problem with just including it straight into the package. I've just downloaded it , and I notice that there are several differences in CFG file (I'm not talking about newer supported features - I mean that a few values have changed from the one you originally sent me, and some of the lines are no longer commented (#) out).

So my only other request is if you'd be able to set the CFG file up for LC when you're done with it (I noticed it's still listed as a WIP). Or at least explain some of the changes to me (that might be easier via email/PM) please smile.gif .

Thanks again Alex.

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:38 PM

I'll leave that to MM to decide I think, but at this stage, I don't see any problem with just including it straight into the package.

I would advise against it - I told you that it is at present VC 1.0 US only. I believe the readme says so too. :-)

I've just downloaded it , and I notice that there are several differences in CFG file (I'm not talking about newer supported features - I mean that a few values have changed from the one you originally sent me, and some of the lines are no longer commented (#) out).

So my only other request is if you'd be able to set the CFG file up for LC when you're done with it (I noticed it's still listed as a WIP).  Or at least explain some of the changes to me (that might be easier via email/PM) please smile.gif .

Thanks again Alex.

Oh well, just when I thought the explanations in .cfg itself were good enough. wink.gif Anyway I suppose you don't want the true random weather functionality VC:Weather offers but rather use the original weather table from GTA3. I also assume that you want to use the tint in LC and that you want to make the default weather state at start-up (before main.scm evaluation) to be 0. In that case use as values for the globals: 0 1 1 0.
Do also comment out the entire weather table2 and uncomment the reference value from GTA3 below that. Keep the misc weather data as it is because the default values there are also Vice's default values. The random weather data should not conern you then and should remain untouched as should the tint value themselves for they already have the GTA3 values. smile.gif

Alex

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:57 PM Edited by Ben, 10 January 2007 - 11:36 PM.

Thanks mate. I'll fix it up at some stage and let you know how it goes smile.gif .

EDIT - Scratch that, I'll sort it when you've got it to a final stage.

By the way, did you get my email?

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (Ben @ Jan 10 2007, 21:57)
Thanks mate.  I'll fix it up at some stage and let you know how it goes smile.gif .

EDIT - Scratch that, I'll sort it when you've got it to a final stage.

By the way, did you get my email?

Yes, I have seen your email - I won't make incorporate anyone else's work though unless I have their explicit agreement to do so. But given the source code I would have no problem to rewrite the code for myself.

As to regards VC:Weather - there's no point in waiting for a *final* version as that will probably never declare any mod of mine to be final. I would suggest that if you want to make use of the mod in LC, you'll start packaging it with the LC files as soon as the versioning problem is fixed. For the purpose of LC I am not so sure newer and better versions of VC:Weather are even needed. If there should ever turn out to be such a need, it wouldn't be a problem to
include a more recent version of VC:Weather then either. smile.gif

Alex

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:04 AM

Rightio.

Craig could probably shed some more certainty on this, but as far as I was aware, Hammer has no problem with any of his stuff being used for LC-related things. So you should be right to use the versioning module.

About VC:Weather being final - there's still a few things I've gotta organise before I can start thinking about putting a new major release package together anyway. But I noticed in the CFG file you'd left some notes about certain features still being unsupported, so I was going to wait until you'd finalised those. I guess that'll probably happen at a similar time to the versioning being implemented though, so it's no biggie smile.gif .

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (Ben @ Jan 13 2007, 03:04)
Craig could probably shed some more certainty on this, but as far as I was aware, Hammer has no problem with any of his stuff being used for LC-related things. So you should be right to use the versioning module.

That's the whole point of the dll. Hammer wouldn't have realised it as an external file if he didn't want it being used by other people. Why should every programmer have to find out the offsets of all these exe's for himself? It's free to use for everyone, as it makes mods compatible to every known version of Vice City.

(At least that's how I interpreted Hammer's intentions.)

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:44 AM

Ok, I just spoke to Craig about this over ICQ.
[04:29:28 PM] Ben: Oh yeah - I'll ask you while I think of it.  Do you think Hammer would have any problem with AK using his VC versioning module for his weather ASI?

I wouldn't think he'd mind considering it's for LC, but I don't even think he'd mind for it being used outside of LC either.  What do you think?
[04:29:52 PM] Craig: Not at all. Artem always lets other people use his stuff
[04:31:44 PM] Ben: Good-o.  I'll let AK know wink.gif

So, um, yeah, everything's good to go. Feel free to implement the VC versioning module into your weather and traffic modules, Alex icon14.gif .

adomacro
  • adomacro

The Silent Achiever

• Members

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:18 AM Edited by Ben, 12 February 2007 - 04:31 AM.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me why 'gta_lc.exe' doesn't work with 3d Analyse. If anyone can tell me why it doesn't work or how i can get it to work that would be great.

Approved and merged.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:26 AM

I'm taking a bit of a stab in the dark here, but I think you'll find it's because gta-lc.exe doesn't take the place of gta-vc.exe - rather, it uses gta-vc.exe to load LC with certain custom features enabled. If you have some programming knowledge, you can check out the source code for the launcher files here smile.gif .

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:32 AM

3d Analyze worked fine for me (that was the first time I even loaded up LC in months). There was a 3D hook error, but after I removed the error dialog box I was able to play the mod in windowed mode. Not sure why it doesn't work for you.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:51 PM

AK and I have been talking about the problem with the cars at the SSV lift bridge. As it currently stands, they disappear if they are within a certain zone when the bridge goes up - this is controlled through the SCM.

However, AK suggested that perhaps an invisible (and collisionless) traffic light model might be the way to go - you know, right next to the lifting section of the bridge, so the cars would stop.

The only problem I could see with this is in relation to the signals and controlling them - AFAIK, that's hardcoded. Which means that there's a function somewhere in the EXE that controls the traffic lights - I figure if that function can be isolated, it can be manipulated. So, even if we can't apply it to a particular area (as in, the lift bridge), we should be able to control it for a traffic light model (which would work for AK's original suggestion). That is, unless I'm mistaken and this can be controlled through the SCM somehow?

Anyways, assuming I'm right, I figured this would be a nice inclusion to AK's traffic module, although he admits that he doesn't have the time to check it out at this stage. So, I'm wondering what everyone else thinks about it? Does it sound like a good idea? Do you think it's viable? If you have the knowledge, would you be willing to help out? etc. etc.

smile.gif

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:23 PM

OK so Hammer isn't really active anymore (well not here at least), and since I can program in Pascal/Delphi I'm offering to do any needed modifications to the launcher. If anyone is in contact with Hammer I'd appreciate it if you were to ask his permission to modify the launcher...

Reason I ask this is because I'd like for the launcher to inject IIItoVC into LC at runtime. There are some things I must change which cannot be modified after the ASIs are loaded, therefore IIItoVC must be initialised at runtime.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (ModelingMan @ Jun 2 2007, 12:23)
OK so Hammer isn't really active anymore (well not here at least), and since I can program in Pascal/Delphi I'm offering to do any needed modifications to the launcher. If anyone is in contact with Hammer I'd appreciate it if you were to ask his permission to modify the launcher...

Reason I ask this is because I'd like for the launcher to inject IIItoVC into LC at runtime. There are some things I must change which cannot be modified after the ASIs are loaded, therefore IIItoVC must be initialised at runtime.

He gave explicit permission long ago to modify or use his work in any way. He's cool about that.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:01 PM Edited by ModelingMan, 21 June 2007 - 10:03 PM.

This is a test version of a plugin loader I'm coding for VC (extract it to LC root folder). It includes only one plugin thus far and that's a III HUD plugin. Since it is only a test version this means it isn't complete; the wanted level stars do not highlight when you have a wanted level above 0. This is just to show the progress of IIItoVC. (IIItoVC is going to be obsolete since I'll be making multiple plugins, e.g. III_Pickups, III_Pager, etc.)

I'd like to re-create the launcher in a way it's not actually a launcher, only a program which modifies LC's settings. If this plugin loader system progresses on to load plugins at runtime then there would be no need to run LC through gta-lc.exe.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:02 AM

That'd be really neat icon14.gif . Although it sounds like a lot of work - certainly not for the faint-hearted (which you continue to prove you're not wink.gif ). Perhaps "recoding" the entire launcher (well, doing it through plugins) might help solve some bugs (I'm thinking specifically of the replay function not working)?

I look forward to seeing what you come up with anyway smile.gif .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users