Photo

GTA:LC Launcher

115 replies to this topic
grovespaz
  • grovespaz

Group: Morons

• Members

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:09 AM

Does anyone know the EXE hex adresses for the loading bar colors?
Or the hud colors?

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:05 AM

Have a geez here, although I don't think they found colours for the HUD. Not sure about the loading bar though - Hammer used artmoney to change the HUD colours in LC I think.

grovespaz
  • grovespaz

Group: Morons

• Members

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:12 AM

I know about that topic, but im talking about hex editing the exe, and saving it.

Im sorry if its offtopic, but the reason i ask is because i want those pretty yellow bars on the X-Box too, and large portions of the exe/xbe are still the same.. (Although they vary on address range, their still close to eachother)

random_download
  • random_download

:o

• Members

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:32 PM

In VC/GTA3 memory address topic there was a guy who changed the boundries of Vice City in an attempt to incorperate two cities. I think he also posted somewhere in there a method of converting from real-time memory addresses to those in the EXE.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:44 PM

That guy wouldn't be Andy80586 would it?

Here's a list of all his posts in the VC/GTA3 memory address topic if you want to have a look (there's about 60-odd). I had a look, but didn't find anything, although me not knowing much about EXE/memory hacking, I probably missed it wink.gif.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:17 PM

Andy is who random is thinking about. He also helped us in raising the helicopter height limit. icon14.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:18 AM Edited by Ben, 24 January 2007 - 02:09 AM.

I just had an idea for the launcher - dunno how hard it'd be to implement, but it should be do-able.

Considering that we now have multiple GXTs for the same language - american and american_VC-Radio, german and german_VC-Radio - can an EXE hack be implemented to read either. Tis a little hard to explain, so I'll use an example.

Say someone downloads LC, but doesn't have the GTA3 radio stations, and therefore wishes to restore the VC radio stations - done through Show Config -> Advanced -> Audio, where the path is changed. Well, when this path is changed, would it be possible to have the GXT path also changed - in the case of someone playing in English, have the path either automatically or manually (through the use of a checkbox) changed to read american_VC-Radio.gxt instead of american.gxt?

If it's possible, changing the GXT path may have to be manual, as I don't know how the launcher would tell what language someone wished to use. Perhaps something in the form of a pop-up when the Restore option is executed for the radio stations - "Would you like to change the text to display the correct radio station name?

Then two checkboxes where you can choose either English or German language, followed by the Yes and No buttons.

If Yes is chosen, fronten2_VC-Radio.txd (available in this package) needs to be read by the launcher instead of the default fronten2.txd.

Any thoughts? smile.gif

EDIT - Package updated icon14.gif.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:54 PM Edited by SteaVor, 04 November 2007 - 02:42 PM.

I think that it should be doable, you could - at the VERY least - swap the file names, if there was no possibility to tweak the path at runtime.
You wouldn't have to choose a language either, because the contents of directory 'TEXT' could be read beforehand and then ALL language files that exist in 2 versions could have their internal path tweaked to point to the alternative file. But I'm not Hammer, so I can't say if all memory adresses etc that are needed to make your idea possible are currently known.

random_download
  • random_download

• Members

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:45 PM

If they are not known then it should be pretty simple to find them, so it should be doable. And as SteaVor said, you could of coarse just get the launcher to swap the file names around.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:16 AM

Thanks for the replies guys smile.gif.

I know Hammer's not active much these days, so if either of you (or anyone else) would like to have a shot at it, then I'd be very grateful.

However, before you start work, you'll have to get the source codes for the latest launcher package off Craig (because the ones in the first post are for earlier versions).

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:45 PM

Oh yeah blush.gif

The source files for the latest launcher. Anybody who's willing and able has Hammer's implicit premission to modify these files.

random_download
  • random_download

• Members

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:48 PM Edited by random_download, 09 June 2006 - 11:56 PM.

OK, I found all the addresses. It seems that the gxt file are referenced by two routines. Both use a switch jump to select the right language, so I think the easiest thing to do would be to change the offset where the switch jump takes place to a location inside the asi file. Addresses:
CODE
American:
0x0058525Dh
0x005855C2h

French:
0x00585264
0x005855C9

German:
0x0058526B
0x005855D0

Italian:
0x00585272
0x005855D7

Spanish:
0x00585279
0x005855DE

Those addresses point directly to the first byte of a DWORD which contains the address that is pushed to the stack, rather than to the start of the instruction.
These two are for the address referenced in the switch jump, which I think would be better:
CODE
0x00585258
0x005855BD

Write a DWORD to both of those that points to an array of 5 DWORDs, which point to the code:
CODE
push <address where text eg. 'AMERICAN.GXT' is stored>
jmp short loc_58527D

And for the 2nd one (0x005855BD):
CODE
push <address where text eg. 'AMERICAN.GXT' is stored>
jmp short loc_5855E2

Somewhere in the asi file.

P.S: All addresses for VC US-v1.0

EDIT: Fixed error.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:31 AM

Link in first post updated icon14.gif. I'm assuming that there's been no update to the vcopcode source confused.gif?

@random - great work smile.gif.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:46 AM

Quick launcher update. The police car shotgun now works. Big thanks to AK-73 for finding what we were missing. Also thanks to Hammer for putting it all together. Only the binary has been updated. The source may not be updated for a little while as there's a couple of things in progress (including ModelingMan's stuff). If you don't want to go to the first page, here is the link for the new launcher binary.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:06 AM

Hmmm...

Should I blame Craig or Hammer for the fact the link doesn't work? tounge.gif

I dunno - not that it matters now as I've found the file and fixed the link in the first post icon14.gif.

I'm curious though - how did gta-lc.exe get so much smaller (the size decreased almost half a MB)?

Also, the ini issue is back - I've included instructions in the first post for how to fix it, and now the download just needs to be fixed.

And don't forget the GXT stuff that random found for my suggestion - could that be added soon if it's not too much trouble, please?

Cheers smile.gif.

Hammer83
  • Hammer83

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:51 AM Edited by Ben, 28 June 2006 - 02:40 AM.

I'm to blame. It was late yesterday when I moved everything to a new domain. I didn't have the opportunity to notify Craig of the change. Thanks for doing this, Ben.

EDIT by Ben - No probs smile.gif.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:15 AM Edited by Ben, 13 July 2006 - 05:19 AM.

I've got some goodies for those of you involved in developing the launcher, courtesy of AK-73. I asked him over email about implementing these into the LC launcher, but he's a bit busy with his own mod, so these will have to be done by someone else. But at least he has a lot of specific info for you icon14.gif.

See the following posts:

They all address a range of EXE-related issues in the checklist, so another BIG thank-you to Alex smile.gif.

It'd also be great (and a HUGE favour to Alex) if anyone who knows how to alter the world lighting could post some info - that's something he's keen to learn how to mod (and it's also applicable to LC), and I think it's the least we can do to re-pay him for all of the wonderful work he's done for us.

And if any of you come across my post about the SFX whilst looking over Alex's, don't worry - that info is included in the SFX download for the test7 package, courtesy of Modeling Man smile.gif.

EDIT - It might also be a good idea to check the mem hacking topic regularly for any more updates from AK icon14.gif.

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:50 AM Edited by Y_Less, 17 July 2006 - 10:55 AM.

I believe world lighting is controlled in timecycle.dat

0x5B94E5 To make ped drivers panick like in GTA3, change from 03 to 02

Explanation: at +0x156 into an entry in the actor list reside the driver behaviour flags as per the opcode 00AF; at 0x155 however are the obstacle flags: 0 - stop before obstacle (possibly drive past after some time has passed), 1 - drive-thru (as per normal gun panic), 2 - drive past (as in GTA3 gun panic). I think the flag 4 exists too but I'm not sure, didn't get to check it out in detail. Seems to be no different from 0 though.

That 0 could be useful for the lift bridge, I've been wondering hoe to make them just stop like in III instead of turning round and things.

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (Y_Less @ Jul 17 2006, 10:50)
I believe world lighting is controlled in timecycle.dat

That 0 could be useful for the lift bridge, I've been wondering hoe to make them just stop like in III instead of turning round and things.

Some drivers however tend to get impatient and continue driving after some time, I think. Still it might be useful, especially since the behaviour can be set by opcode.

Alex

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:45 AM Edited by Ben, 20 July 2006 - 11:12 AM.

Here's something for our resident EXE hackers to look into (another of AK's findings). A bit of research will be required to make it work "perfectly", but it's a big start. Thanks again Alex smile.gif.

EDIT - As for the world lighting - after talking to ModelingMan about it yesterday, we know where to look, but I'm not sure when we'll get around to fixing it. We'll see what happens wink.gif.

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (Ben @ Jul 20 2006, 08:45)
Here's something for our resident EXE hackers to look into (another of AK's findings).  A bit of research will be required to make it work "perfectly", but it's a big start.  Thanks again Alex smile.gif.

EDIT - As for the world lighting - after talking to ModelingMan about it yesterday, we know where to look, but I'm not sure when we'll get around to fixing it.  We'll see what happens wink.gif.

Well, if you can point me the directions, I'll have a look at it myself. smile.gif

Alex

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:14 AM

Did you not get my email the other day? confused.gif

I'll talk to MM about it again when I get a chance and see how he thinks we should best proceed, especially as he knows the most about it. I'll be in touch smile.gif.

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (Ben @ Jul 22 2006, 01:14)
Did you not get my email the other day? confused.gif

I'll talk to MM about it again when I get a chance and see how he thinks we should best proceed, especially as he knows the most about it.  I'll be in touch smile.gif.

You see, I've only been asking because I thought it might be easier for some of the guys if they already have an insight into the rendering mechanisms. I think I'm going to have a look at the stuff from the other side, trace the values that get loaded from timecyc,dat, and see what calculations are being done with them in both games before they get passed to d3d. Thanks though. smile.gif

Alex

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:50 AM

Ahh rightio, fair enough.

No worries smile.gif.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:22 AM Edited by Ben, 28 July 2006 - 11:47 PM.

Hmmm, this might be useful for controlling the drivers on the lift bridge (another goodie from AK) icon14.gif.

When all of this stuff from AK, and the work Hammer and MM are doing behind the scenes gets implemented into the next launcher update, um, well, let's just say it's going to be f*cking awesome smile.gif.

EDIT - WOW wow.gif and WOW wow.gif!

Ben is excited!

inlove.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:16 AM

Alrightio, this is basically a continuation of the discussion which began with this post and continued down for the next 3 posts. For those of you who aren't familiar with it (and can't be bothered to click on the link), here's some brief details:
  • ModelingMan is going to be researching how the EXE controls the rendering of PEDs in an attempt to be able to use the original GTAIII PED models
  • I had the idea that it might be possible to use the GTAIII IMG to form the basis of an IMG for LC. The fact that ModelingMan had already disabled culling through the EXE (which meant that the original GTAIII world models could be used in LC) made me believe that this was a real possibility
So anyway, I've done some basic research and come to a few conclusions. After talking to Craig, I learned that the GTAIII vehicle models actually do work in LC without any modification, although due to the advanced VC engine, they lack reflections which can be added to our custom ones during the conversion process. Now I haven't looked into this at all, but I'm wondering if this is actually a TXD issue rather than a DFF issue - the vehicle TXDs in LC contain a reflection image which isn't in the GTAIII vehicle TXDs (as far as I'm aware, vehicle reflections in GTAIII were stored in particle.txd (in GTAIII\models)). If it is a TXD issue, it might be possible to incorporate a similar setup to GTAIII and include a reflection in particle.txd - this is just theory, and I haven't looked into this particular aspect, so I might be completely wrong smile.gif.

That leads me to my next point - TXDs. As far as I can tell, the only difference between GTAIII and VC is in the the bits per pixel (I think that's what the bpp refers to blush.gif) and the fact that VC utilises compression. Judging from these differences, it should be possible to modify the EXE to tell it to read GTAIII-style TXDs (I think).

Now, after all of that has been sorted (assuming it can be), the bulk of the GTAIII IMG will have been covered - world models, vehicles, PEDs and TXDs. The next issue lies in the extra files present in VC, and these will need to be added (which means that some of them will be conversions we've done) - that is, the extra vehicles in VC, the bikes, helicopters, the skimmer and the extra weapons. As for the normal weapons, unless some way can be found to utilise the GTAIII models for those, then we'll have to use our conversions. The other files to add are the animation IFPs and the world collision data (COLs) - neither of these were present in the GTAIII IMG, and have to be converted because VC uses different animations, and the GTAIII world COLs were incomplete.

THAT should cover everything in the IMG I think. If I've forgotten something, please post here and let me know. I'd also like some feedback on what people think, especially from our EXE-experts (to let me know if this sounds viable). I know it's going to take a LOT of time and effort, but if it can be done, I'd like to see it. It will dramatically reduce the size of the download, although Craig doesn't want to make GTAIII a requirement of installing LC, so a custom IMG can be kept online when this is all done (assuming it can be) smile.gif.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (Ben @ Sep 23 2006, 00:16)
So anyway, I've done some basic research and come to a few conclusions.  After talking to Craig, I learned that the GTAIII vehicle models actually do work in LC without any modification, although due to the advanced VC engine, they lack reflections which can be added to our custom ones during the conversion process.  Now I haven't looked into this at all, but I'm wondering if this is actually a TXD issue rather than a DFF issue - the vehicle TXDs in LC contain a reflection image which isn't in the GTAIII vehicle TXDs (as far as I'm aware, vehicle reflections in GTAIII were stored in particle.txd (in GTAIII\models)).  If it is a TXD issue, it might be possible to incorporate a similar setup to GTAIII and include a reflection in particle.txd - this is just theory, and I haven't looked into this particular aspect, so I might be completely wrong smile.gif.

i can shed some light on this. In gta3, the cars had no reflections in their own txd's because, as you said, the game simply used the image in the particle.txd. Only the reflection level was stored in the material of each model (which btw, was actually the "specular" level, of the standard RwMaterial).
In vice city, there is extra data attached to every material on the vehicle geometry, that contains the basic reflection parameters; what image to use, and the intensity of the reflection. since this data is stored per material, and the gta3 vehicles don't have it, it needs to be re-created; ie, re-exported. and when it loads the textures for the car, including the reflections, it checks the txd specified in the default.ide, so the reflections have to be stored in the txd defined there, for each car.

If your goal is to use the gta3 models right from the archive, without exporting them, and re-converting them, then i offer the following solution for those that could do it:
When a vehicle material is about to be rendered, check its specular value. any non-0 value means its been set by R* to be reflective (since the specular section of a RwMaterial in gta3 is used for reflections, 1.0 would be fullly reflective, 0 for none). if it has a non-0 value, then change the material type to MATFXEFFECTENVMAP, keep the same diffuse texture, set the reflection01 image in the particle.txd as the reflection map, and copy the specular value as the reflection level.

*flees*

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE (Ben @ Sep 23 2006, 01:16)
That leads me to my next point - TXDs.  As far as I can tell, the only difference between GTAIII and VC is in the the bits per pixel (I think that's what the bpp refers to blush.gif) and the fact that VC utilises compression.  Judging from these differences, it should be possible to modify the EXE to tell it to read GTAIII-style TXDs (I think).

I thought Vice City can already read GTA3's TXD files.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:59 AM

@DexX - thanks for the info. I was talking to ModelingMan about this last night (a few hours after I posted that), and he said that the GTAIII global reflection can be used for the vehicles (which I think is something similar to what you're suggesting) smile.gif.

@space - I really wouldn't know, but the few TXDs I looked at in the IMG have been changed to VC format, so I just assumed it wasn't possible. It doesn't really matter though - ModelingMan has a plan to make all of this (and much more) possible. I won't go into any more detail because it's not my place to say, but I can tell you that even though it's going to take a LOT of time, it'll be worth it in the end wink.gif.

kiwidesign
  • kiwidesign

GTA:LC kiwi :)

• Members

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:47 PM

Ben, about using III img file:

first, LC img has about 650-675 files more than III img
this isn't a problem with an automatic installer, but this is a lil' pain in the ass for manual install suicidal.gif

the 2nd thing: I always knew that gtaIII had two img files, gta3.img and txd.img (actually works this way for me as well as described in most modding tutorials for gtaIII).
this mean that to have a full-usable gtaIII's gta3.img we should merge gta3.img and txd.img, isn't it? confused.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users