climb a ladder

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic
Wildkarrde
  • Wildkarrde

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:03 AM

On the PC version how does one climb a ladder? The ships all have ladders up to their decks but I can't climb. Thx

CJ Fool
  • CJ Fool

Crazy Drunk Pedestrian

• Members

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:07 AM

I dont think in any version you can climb ladders. It was kind of stupid that you cant but maybe it just sliped there mind

Wildkarrde
  • Wildkarrde

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:43 PM

dang! All that swimming you have to do if you fall into the water. What a drag.

YeTi
  • YeTi

S'up Bitches?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:51 PM

No you cant climb ladders in any version. It is believed climbing ladders was one of the features R* had put in the game but taken out when they ran out of space.

Holmes
  • Holmes

Homie

• Members

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:11 PM

Which explains why many docks around the airport in SF had them. Now we have to drive a Coastguard to land like a sucker... mad.gif - Holmes

Lone Soldier D
  • Lone Soldier D

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:49 PM Edited by Lone Soldier D, 17 January 2006 - 08:52 PM.

IF they dident have all trees and stones and sh*t in the desert they may have hade space for some things... but they wanted us to drive in to stuff when out going off-road. Sweet stupid Rockstar.

It's in the deasert all thos little things are.

YeTi
  • YeTi

S'up Bitches?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (Lone Soldier D @ Jan 17 2006, 20:49)
IF they dident have all trees and stones and sh*t in the desert they may have hade space for some things... but they wanted us to drive in to stuff when out going off-road. Sweet, stupid Rockstar

If you knew any modding you would know that what you just said is complete bull sh*t.

The model, texture and collision files for each object is around 100 kb's which is a very small amount of space. And then to place the item ingame it requires two lines of text in a file two lines of text is equal to about 20 bytes of data an extremely small amount.

Wereas the coding for climbing ladders and the animations is probably a few mb's which is a considerably bigger amount of data than a few bytes and kb's.

In essence the trees and rocks are not the reason climbing ladders isn't ingame it's the fact that R* got above their heads and put too many features in the game, maybe they expected a few of the features to go wrong while they were designing them who knows.

DJDJ
  • DJDJ

Freelance Assassin.

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:53 AM

BUT, if you really want to utilise the ladders, why not borrow part of spaceeinstein's All in one mod (with his permission of course) where holding JUMP for a few seconds allows u to leap on top of any wall. It will kinda suck, but it's the best you can do...or is it?

Chalk
  • Chalk

Like a puzzle...

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:14 PM

The fact that GTA has not got a "climb ladder" function is one of the things that the Driver (most especially Driv3r) has had a go at. Sort of a bit of a warspark, as what the "Lousy Tanner" cutscene in SA was.

poopskin
  • poopskin

Yardie | Not a Clever Man

• Members

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Lone Soldier D @ Jan 17 2006, 14:49)
IF they dident have all trees and stones and sh*t in the desert they may have hade space for some things... but they wanted us to drive in to stuff when out going off-road. Sweet stupid Rockstar.

It's in the deasert all thos little things are.

those things are for realism. plus, coding dosen't take that much space for a thing as small of climbable ladders, or even moving tanker boats!

Youknowme
  • Youknowme

That Guy

• Members

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:36 AM

if climbing ladders was a feature that may have been, wouldn't it be possible to accesss it with the rigt knowledge? (obviously not in the console versions)

DJDJ
  • DJDJ

Freelance Assassin.

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:44 AM

In theory, yes. But in practace....prolly not. Hot coffee was made by finding the original code in the game files, and (in dumb talk) re enabling it. If climing a ladder was possible, then there would almost certainly be references that would have already been found and it would also need some animation. Now i'm not that skilled, so i cant say if there is or isnt as i havnt looked. If rockstar implemented this but took it out because of disk space, chances are that they deleted all/most of it. If there is something left in, i'm sure it would have been found by now but might not be enough to use.
So using my minute modding knowledge, my guesss is no. Sure, as you said, if there is enough left then it may be salvagable, but i would say not. Perhaps this is the time that someone more experianced posts and completely contradicts what i've said!

dbrown486
  • dbrown486

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:10 AM

It does suck that with all the ladders around San Andreas, you can't climb them. I understand that they may have taken the feature out due to space, but couldn't they have removed something else less usefull? I would gladly trade Zero's missions or the Valet missions for the ability to climb a ladder.

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:26 PM

Maybe some codeconverting folkes from GTa-forums can find a code for Climbing a ladder like they found one for hot coffie.I think it is still in game disc but still removed from game when you play it

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:11 AM

The "code" for climbing ladder doesn't exist in San Andreas and it doesn't take much space in San Andreas. Probably a few KB large and that is it. If you want a mod that makes you "climb" (teleports) you up or down the ladder, I might be able to make one for you.

raduban
  • raduban

Rad

• Members

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:36 PM

So all is talking about space and coding, why doesn't someone just make a climbing ladder mod?

TheTank
  • TheTank

Yardie

• Members

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (raduban @ Aug 6 2008, 16:36)
So all is talking about space and coding, why doesn't someone just make a climbing ladder mod?

Nice and sweet bump, 2 years. Don't do it again!

And there is a ladder mod, by Wesser.

Raindancer
  • Raindancer

Beer monster

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (raduban @ Aug 6 2008, 14:36)

Thanks for wasting everyones time. If you have a valid reason, then fine bump. But two Fing years man.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users