» «
Photo

SAAT VERSION 1

10 replies to this topic
arillious
  • arillious

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:46 AM Edited by arillious, 08 January 2006 - 04:03 AM.

installing maybe not so hard i think, but.. im folowing the directions now just to use it and like the same as the installation mettod. im following how to export sound. this is what im supposed to type in the command prompt:

saat_sfx -e audio\streams\GENRL c:\temp\saat

but instead i type:

saat_sfx -e audio\streams\GENRL d:\temp\saat

becasue my game is on the "d" drive but it says that the cammand saat_sfx is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

any one know whats goin on?

oh and sorry but what the hell does this mean?

"Open a command prompt window and cd to the GTASA install directory"

pdescobar
  • pdescobar

Conformist Scum Panda

• Members

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:09 AM Edited by pdescobar, 08 January 2006 - 05:52 AM.

Why on Earth did you post this to the vehicles forum? SAAT is an audio tool and its release thread is in Editing::Misc.

Anyhow:
QUOTE (arillious @ Jan 7 2006, 22:46)
installing maybe not so hard i think, but.. im folowing the directions now just to use it and like the same as the installation mettod. im following how to export sound. this is what im supposed to type in the command prompt:

saat_sfx -e audio\streams\GENRL c:\temp\saat

but instead i type:

saat_sfx -e audio\streams\GENRL d:\temp\saat

becasue my game is on the "d" drive but it says that the cammand saat_sfx is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I expect that means that saat_sfx is not in your path. Where did you extract the executable to, and what is the current working directory when you type the command?
any one know whats goin on?

oh and sorry but what the hell does this mean?

"Open a command prompt window and cd to the GTASA install directory"

I am going to assume that you have Windows XP and that your copy of San Andreas is installed in
CODE
d:\GTA San Andreas

Now, make sure you put saat_sfx.exe in the GTASA install directory and then open a Command Prompt window. (Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt)

Then type
CODE
d:
and hit return. This should change the prompt to the D:\ drive.

Now type
CODE
cd "d:\GTA San Andreas"
or whatever the exact path of the GTASA install directory is in. After you hit return, it will change to that directory. This is what is meant by the line of the documentation you quoted.

Now type
CODE
saat_sfx -e audio\SFX\GENRL c:\temp\saat audio\CONFIG\BankLkup.dat
and hit return, and the GENRL sounds will be extracted to c:\temp\saat\GENRL. This assumes there actually is a c:\temp; you can change that to whatever other directory suits you. Note that the command is slightly different 'cause I screwed up a copy & paste on the original MANUAL blush.gif

EDIT: Changed install directory in example.

arillious
  • arillious

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:43 AM Edited by arillious, 08 January 2006 - 05:52 AM.

sorry didn't know exactly where to post this at. not really use to forums, buuuut, thanks and my game is in d:\ gta san andreas. is that my install directory. probably a dumb question. also what doe this mean

[/QUOTE]I expect that means that saat_sfx is not in your path. Where did you extract the executable to, and what is the current working directory when you type the command?

also what does the term "cd" mean because i though i had to use the actual game "CD" lol biggrin.gif

pdescobar
  • pdescobar

Conformist Scum Panda

• Members

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:05 AM

Note: fixed quote to what I believe was intended
QUOTE (arillious @ Jan 8 2006, 00:43)
sorry didn't know exactly where to post this at. not really use to forums, buuuut, thanks and my game is in d:\ gta san andreas. is that my install directory. probably a dumb question. also what doe this mean

I expect that means that saat_sfx is not in your path. Where did you extract the executable to, and what is the current working directory when you type the command?

also what does the term "cd" mean because i though i had to use the actual game "CD" lol biggrin.gif

OK. The windows Command Prompt is an alternative interface to the operating system. Rather than using the mouse to do things, you type in text commands to do things. "cd" is a very basic command with tells the shell to C hange to another D irectory (or Folder.) When you type commands into a Command Prompt window, the operating system has to try and find the .exe file that the command is associated with and it does this by looking in a pre-defined set of locations called the "path."

So, my question basicly boils down to "Where did you put 'saat_sfx.exe' after you unzipped?" Answering that is no longer that important, though since you've supplied additional information. What you need to do is move 'saat_sfx.exe' from wherever it is now to the GTASA install directory (D:\GTA San Andreas). You can do that as you normally would by dragging it between Explorer windows. After that is done, follow the steps in my previous post to actually extract the GENRL sound effects.

I apologize for the fact that my instructions assume a certain level of familiarity with command shells and so they are somewhat hard to follow for less experienced users. I do plan to have alternative interfaces like using drag-and-drop or even a fully functional GUI (Graphical User Interface -- windows and menus and such) in future versions.

arillious
  • arillious

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:00 AM

OMFG YOU ARE THE KING OF THE sh*tNESS lol. thanks man for the so very very detailed description. im gonna try this stuff out right now.

arillious
  • arillious

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:55 AM

just out of curiousity what does this mean:

pdescobar
  • pdescobar

Conformist Scum Panda

• Members

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (arillious @ Jan 8 2006, 03:55)
just out of curiousity what does this mean:

That's just the command syntax. Each piece has a particular meaning.

CODE
saat_sfx  -e  audio\SFX\GENRL  c:\temp\saat  audio\CONFIG\BankLkup.dat
========  ==  ===============  ============  =========================
.|         |         |              |                   |
The        |      The SFX      Directory to    The "Lookup" file which
SFX        |      archive       store the      is part of the game data
tool       |      you are     exported files   and is needed to locate
.       Export   exporting                     individual sounds within
.        mode                                  the SFX archive.

So, if you wanted to export the sounds from a different archive, you'd simply change that piece of the command.

arillious
  • arillious

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:03 AM

so the look up file finds the sounds in the sfx data? that pary is a little confusing but i get the rest? is it the sme for the music?

oh and thanks for the tiem to chat about this.

if need be some one please move this to apropreate forum spot thanks biggrin.gif

pdescobar
  • pdescobar

Conformist Scum Panda

• Members

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE (arillious @ Jan 9 2006, 01:03)
so the look up file finds the sounds in the sfx data? that pary is a little confusing but i get the rest? is it the sme for the music?

oh and thanks for the tiem to chat about this.

if need be some one please move this to apropreate forum spot thanks  biggrin.gif

The lookup file acts like a table of contents. The game checks the lookup file for an offset (like a page in a book), then goes to that offset in the archive to find the sound. The lookup file also contains the lengths of the sounds and it is the length information that my export function needs to know how big of a chunk to read from the archive.

While the music streams also have a lookup file, you don't need to specify it when extracting with the stream tool because the stream archive has the length information embedded within it. If you import into the stream you will have to specify the stream's lookup file though. That's covered in the example section of the SAAT MANUAL.txt

arillious
  • arillious

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:49 AM

cool. So the lookup file is part of the game or is it a function to search for the offsets that's part of your import export program? lol nm i just read the last post u did i is part of the game biggrin.gif

SwedishMafia
  • SwedishMafia

BF2 First sergeant TheLeadMaster

• Members

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:17 PM

Man, you are another hero of the modding community. This may look complicated for those not familiar with the command prompt but it's working excellently!!! Keep it up man.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users