Photo

Program or Ingame?

7 replies to this topic
Drizz
  • Drizz

Satan.

• Members

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:23 PM

I'm just wondering, will it be a program or an ingame built thing?

I don't know, but I'd like it to be a prog. Because it annoyed me in VCMP that you had to close your VC everytime you wanted to reconnect...

And sometimes, when I can't play I just come on "home-servers" to talk with peeps...

So what will it be?
- Dri'z Up.

Statico
  • Statico

Programmer

• Members

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:25 PM

Most MP mods these days are injected dlls (take GTA Rumble for instance), and this I think is even more likely to be, because they built SA-MP from the VC-MP source which was inprocess, and this uses the old SA-MP source.

Drizz
  • Drizz

Satan.

• Members

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:32 PM

suicidal.gif

oh noes...
- Dri'z Up.

kyeman
  • kyeman

Snitch

• Members

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:48 AM Edited by kyeman, 21 December 2005 - 07:54 AM.

Yes, it runs inprocess. If the game crashes, your connection is lost. The other method would result in poor syncing so it's not an option.

I don't think you should worry about it too much, the SA engine is alot more stable and forgiving than Vice was.

edit:

It might be worth noting also that the player limit in VC-MP (32) was not decided upon because of bandwidth requirements, but because of stablility issues which increased with the number of players on the server.

{DBC}Lance
  • {DBC}Lance

Most Wanted

• Members

Posted 21 December 2005 - 12:40 PM

i'm glad you're back kyeman cool.gif but would you still have to type the ip of the server to connect(outgame)? i mean, with gta bp(another multiplayer mod) there is a simple GUI ingame, where you can easily connect and disconnect from a certain server.

kyeman
  • kyeman

Snitch

• Members

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:15 PM

We currently use an external client to get into the game. Sure, having an ingame GUI is cool but these are all secondary features.

Let me make something very clear; There are many programmers who can implement usability features like GUIs, admins and server browsers. There are very few programmers who know how to modify GTA to make it do what they want. There's no documentation on how to create a good multiplayer mod for GTA.

For instance, it would be very easy to take the VC-MP source and add an ingame GUI with a 3rd party server browser. But Vice City is a fairly old game now and there's just not enough interest for anyone, including people previously on the VC-MP team, to do it.

njr1489
  • njr1489

MP5

• Members

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:27 PM

As long as something gets done, people will have interest. I would choose a synced game over features.

MadHacker04
  • MadHacker04

.:: Mad ::.

• Members

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (njr1489 @ Dec 21 2005, 21:27)
As long as something gets done, people will have interest. I would choose a synced game over features.

yes this is the case. the mod could have so much features but if the synchro is not good the ppl won't use it. that's what kyeman said before. btw. it's nice that you're back kyeman.
one question: which exe-versions will be supported ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users